Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Omne posted:

Anyone else's notifications not really working on the iPhone 8+? I get Messages, snapchat and MLB At Bat. Literally nothing else comes through (i.e. CNN, MSNBC, ESPN, etc.) All are enabled for notifications, and my iPhone 6S still gets them.

Have you opened all those apps up on your new phone?

Until you do they have no way of registering your device for notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
8+ vs 7+

Kind of feel kind like it should be 7/8 but whatever. Mainly seems like it handles shadows better and saturates colors more.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Out of curiosity, was the 7+ in hdr mode? A lot of the image comparisons I have seen seem to be without hdr on the 7 and since it is on by default (and unable to be turned off...a gripe of mine unless you save both the standard and hdr in settings) I makes for an uneven comparison. Still interesting though. I am going to spend part of tomorrow walking around and doing some comparison shots.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

rio posted:

Out of curiosity, was the 7+ in hdr mode? A lot of the image comparisons I have seen seem to be without hdr on the 7 and since it is on by default (and unable to be turned off...a gripe of mine unless you save both the standard and hdr in settings) I makes for an uneven comparison. Still interesting though. I am going to spend part of tomorrow walking around and doing some comparison shots.

Yes this one especially just seems like an HDR difference

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Yes it was in HDR mode.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
8... or 8+? 8... or 8+? Why can't I decide?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

how important is the dual lens whatever in the + to you

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Not very, I've just found my iPhone has turned into my primary reading and secondary YouTube watching device over the past few years. I don't own a tablet.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I thought the 8+ would be a little cumbersome but wanted the dual camera. Adapted to the larger size within a few hours.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

prom candy posted:

Not very, I've just found my iPhone has turned into my primary reading and secondary YouTube watching device over the past few years. I don't own a tablet.

I'd say you fall into that niche-ish area where a + is a no-brainer then

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I read all this stuff about how fast charging needs to have certain requirements, like an Apple power brick that is 29W, 61W, or 87W, along with a USB-C lightning cable.

Well... I just charged my iPhone 8 with this setup to gain 50% in 30 minutes. (20% to 70%)

I have a this power strip with 20W USB ports on it, and I am using a standard USB 2.0 to Lightning Cable

https://www.amazon.com/Version-ORICO-Traveling-Protector-Charger/dp/B00XHORWES

So I realize the iPhone brick is 5W and the iPad brick is 10W. But I guess you don't need all the fancy cables and power bricks to do fast charging

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

doingitwrong posted:

I struggled with this for a day last week and here is my conclusion: in iOS it showed up as Other but in iTunes it showed up as documents and data. My different iOS devices showed different amounts of other. But when I added up Photos and Other for each device it came out roughly the same.

So my guess it that the Other is some part of the Photos library that the system is thinking of as purgeable. It could be a different set of cached files for you but unless the mystery data is causing you to run out of space, I wouldn’t worry about it. The OS will likely purge it if you need the room. It’s annoying as heck and I wish Apple would be clearer about what I’m looking at (or not show me at all) but I think the path to tranquility it just not thinking about it.

I had a similar frustration with Mac OS where the HDD has a bunch of purgeable files so reports me having lots of free space but the Steam Client sees those files as taking up disk space and doesn’t know they can make room so claims I can’t install large games.

It can sometimes be album art. It's supposed to show as part of audio, and it usually does but sometimes it does not. Podcasts art in particular seems to end up there.

Also, message attachments.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I looked back a few pages. Do we have any word on when the wireless charging AirPods will hit? And can you buy the wireless charging case on its own, or do you need to buy the whole AirPods set all over again?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Astro7x posted:

So I read all this stuff about how fast charging needs to have certain requirements, like an Apple power brick that is 29W, 61W, or 87W, along with a USB-C lightning cable.

Well... I just charged my iPhone 8 with this setup to gain 50% in 30 minutes. (20% to 70%)

I have a this power strip with 20W USB ports on it, and I am using a standard USB 2.0 to Lightning Cable

https://www.amazon.com/Version-ORICO-Traveling-Protector-Charger/dp/B00XHORWES

So I realize the iPhone brick is 5W and the iPad brick is 10W. But I guess you don't need all the fancy cables and power bricks to do fast charging

Pretty sure fast charge isn't enabled yet on the 8's, but who knows?

Edit: but your phone will charge faster with the iPad brick. And even faster still with a more powerful brick once the iOS update enables it.

Edit2: I have an iPad Pro 12.9 v1 which is the first device that has supported fast charge. I also have the Apple 29w charger with a usb-C to lightning cable. Fast charge on the iPad is markedly faster. The iPad Pro 12.9 v1 eats so much power that it discharges in intensive apps while plugged into the stock charger. The 29w charger charges it at almost the same rate in that situation than the 10w charger does while the iPad is asleep.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 26, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pirate Jet posted:

Sorry if this gets asked a lot, I looked back a few pages. Do we have any word on when the wireless charging AirPods will hit? And can you buy the wireless charging case on its own, or do you need to buy the whole AirPods set all over again?

Looks like next year with the mat.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
iOS 11 has made the battery on my 7 absolute poo poo.

Should I backup, wipe and then restore the backup? Is that the thing to do? If not, what is?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bobfather posted:

Pretty sure fast charge isn't enabled yet on the 8's, but who knows?

Edit: but your phone will charge faster with the iPad brick. And even faster still with a more powerful brick once the iOS update enables it.

What, dude? No, fast charge is enabled. People are 'benchmarking' it, Apple's support site tells you what you need to use it. You are thinking about wireless charging, which is in 5W mode right now, with a rumoured 7.5W mode to be unlocked in software later.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Did they give a reason for why the faster wireless charging is software locked for now?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Question Mark Mound posted:

Did they give a reason for why the faster wireless charging is software locked for now?

Of course not.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It could be as simple as most of the Qi products right now being yumcha brands of unknown quality, and Apple catches a lot of heat when someone's fake charger catches on fire with "iPhone explodes" headlines.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

iOS 11 has made the battery on my 7 absolute poo poo.

Should I backup, wipe and then restore the backup? Is that the thing to do? If not, what is?

If you want it to be absolute poo poo for longer, then sure.

New OS's always crap out batteries for about a week as everything is processed in the background. It's worse for brand new phones, but newly updated phones aren't immune. Restoring would probably make the issue worse for longer.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

If you want it to be absolute poo poo for longer, then sure.

New OS's always crap out batteries for about a week as everything is processed in the background. It's worse for brand new phones, but newly updated phones aren't immune. Restoring would probably make the issue worse for longer.

Cool, thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just checking in, no data points on the magnetism of the back of the 8?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

rio posted:

What happens to the podcast app? I haven't used it yet on ios11.

Hot garbage. Everything is now bigger and takes longer to scroll through.

I used to just hit "Edit" and select some episodes and mark them as played or flat out delete them. Now I have to go to each individual episode, Hit the three dots (...), hit remove, hit remove from station... and now there is no way to mark them as played. Everything is just a lot dumber and require more steps, so I'll be looking into alternatives.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If I want to protect the back glass from random scuffs and hate cases, are those clear glass protectors my best bet or are they worthless?

Also, for those who go naked on the 7 have you noticed that your camera lens/glass cover gets scuffed or messed up in any way over time?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Also, for those who go naked on the 7 have you noticed that your camera lens/glass cover gets scuffed or messed up in any way over time?
Camera is fine. The matte black body is getting scuffed at the corners but whatever.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

TraderStav posted:

If I want to protect the back glass from random scuffs and hate cases, are those clear glass protectors my best bet or are they worthless?

The very edge of the camera lens on my 7+ has a tiny chip. That probably happened during a drop and it is so small and right on the edge that it doesn't affect images at all and is not in front of either lens. I have only used cases briefly in the past to try out different designs (and the bumper back during phonegate or whatever it was called when we were all "holding it wrong" according to Steve Jobs). The vast majority of the time has been no case though and I didn't have any more scuffs on the 7 than I did on other phones. I am debating a case for the 8+ just because I might sell it and get an X. I haven't quite decided yet but if I do that would ensure it is in perfect condition when I sell it. The way I hold the phone is getting a little uncomfortable one handed with the extra weight of the 8+...I really wish in the year 2017 that we weren't making next generations of electronics heavier with smaller batteries just to put pretty glass for wireless charging in it. So I might be getting an X just because of that weight issue.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

illcendiary posted:

I thought the 8+ would be a little cumbersome but wanted the dual camera. Adapted to the larger size within a few hours.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'd say you fall into that niche-ish area where a + is a no-brainer then

Alright, I'm gonna do it. I guess worst case scenario I can always return it. Also, why did I ignore Google Photos on iOS for so long? It's awesome!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just play with it at the store

At first it was too big and then I got a tiny Android tablet I ended up returning but I found myself holding it like a large cell phone, and I thought hey this would be comfortable if it were even smaller. Played with the 7+, I was like, "This is perfect!" But I didn't buy one. X train toot toot

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

Just play with it at the store

At first it was too big and then I got a tiny Android tablet I ended up returning but I found myself holding it like a large cell phone, and I thought hey this would be comfortable if it were even smaller. Played with the 7+, I was like, "This is perfect!" But I didn't buy one. X train toot toot

After having the 8+ for 4 days, I'm fairly positive my favorite thing about the Plus compared to the regular size is the width. Both G-Board and the regular keyboard are much more comfortable to use now and I'm making significantly less typos than before.

Having said that the X is about 1/4" less wide than the Plus and I don't think I would like it as much for this same reason. Hoping that next year they will offer a phone with a similar footprint to the Plus with an OLED screen and TouchID. Maybe shrink the top bezel a little and replace with screen.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'd buy that. To be honest, the only reason I want an X is because I've been waiting so loving long for an OLED iPhone. I could take or leave the better telephoto lens, and I never asked for FaceID, but Apple's backed me into a corner here.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The plus-sized phones also look a little better all around. I guess maybe because they're 1080p versus the 4.7" non-standard resolution.

The downside is some gestures become nigh impossible with one hand. Swiping back from the left is a risky click, and unless you're MKBHD, you'll probably need a free hand to swipe down from the top.

I've got a medium-big reach, but the plus is still solidly a two-handed phone for me. The X looks like it'd probably hit a sweet spot for my reachability, but I'm not really intrigued by it at all. We'll see!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A gold iPhone X with a black front would be pretty sexy IMO. I am not a fan of how garish the gold usually looks, but it actually looks kind of good on the 8/8+.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Pop socket plus reach ability makes my plus work for my smaller hands.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Man the new autocorrect is creeping me out. It remembers too many things and makes too many good suggestions. I tried to go away from an article on mexican meth 7-up and it asked if I wanted to google sprite. :stonk:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Protocol7 posted:

A gold iPhone X with a black front would be pretty sexy IMO. I am not a fan of how garish the gold usually looks, but it actually looks kind of good on the 8/8+.

There is no color on the front at all. So asking for an X phone with color on back but "a black front" is moot, no?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

There is no color on the front at all. So asking for an X phone with color on back but "a black front" is moot, no?

The notch?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Is always black.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey all, has iOS 11 caused any issues with the headphone control via lightning port for anyone? This is on a 7+ for me.

I noticed it with CarPlay that I couldn't skip tracks with the steering wheel controls anymore, and plugging lighting earbuds (actually regular 1/8" earbuds through the adapter) I find the play/pause/skip button doesn't work on it anymore either.

The other (and more likely) culprit is of course schmutz buildup on the jack, I gave it a light going over with a twist tie and it seems pretty clear. I will give it a more thorough cleaning when I can get something better. Does anyone know which pin carries the headphone control signal? Volume controls seem fine. I'm guessing it is one of the lane control/id pins.

Tried a power cycle too, no dice.

E: a better cleaning with an unused coffee stirrer did it :haw:, seems alright now.

priznat fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm still kicking around the idea of switching from the 7+ to the regular 8. For a few reasons.

1. While I love the size of the 7+, I just don't take advantage of the screen size.
2. I have an iPad. The + seems kind of unnecessary now.
3. I'm on the AUP and for 5$ more a month I get 256gigs of storage vs the 128 i have now
4. I've been wanting to get on the S/tock cycle for a long time so this will kick me over.

I just keep going back and forth.