Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Sindai posted:

:siren: Long boring Spider Girl flashback finally over. :siren:

Even the author pokes fun at it in the chapter title.

Wau indeed, its finally over. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So in Forge of Destiny Ling Qi just became Good Friends with Bai Weizhen, but I mistakenly looked at the "current" reputations and Bai Weizhen was just "Friends". I'm gonna be so fuckin pissed if this is because of dumb readers neglecting her in future choices.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Ytlaya posted:

So in Forge of Destiny Ling Qi just became Good Friends with Bai Weizhen, but I mistakenly looked at the "current" reputations and Bai Weizhen was just "Friends". I'm gonna be so fuckin pissed if this is because of dumb readers neglecting her in future choices.

It was far more complicated than that.

e: yeah, cutting the spoiler

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 20, 2017

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

This is too spoilery. :( Everyone should come at it fresh and unaware.

Also, it's Meizhen, not Weizhen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

This is too spoilery. :( Everyone should come at it fresh and unaware.

Also, it's Meizhen, not Weizhen.

Ah, thanks, I'm not that used to remembering Chinese names. I didn't see the spoiler before it was apparently put in spoiler bars.

It's kinda funny how Ling Qi realized that it was pretty hilariously terrible how she went around shopping with haughty girl and stuff while Li Suyin was almost getting killed. At least she feels bad about it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, thanks, I'm not that used to remembering Chinese names. I didn't see the spoiler before it was apparently put in spoiler bars.

It's kinda funny how Ling Qi realized that it was pretty hilariously terrible how she went around shopping with haughty girl and stuff while Li Suyin was almost getting killed. At least she feels bad about it.

In her defense, there shouldn't have been anyone deliberately targeting those two. They were pretty much the only ones who weren't going around making enemies, and should have been safer on their own.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah- we had been told repeatedly those two in particular were being hunted down, but there was a huge desire to go and feel good about winning our fight, which makes sense as celebrating is good, but was really frustrating at the time because it was drat obvious what was going on with our weaker allies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in invincible, a villain decided to seize a country because he randomly decided he wanted a country. the method he used was magic eternal slavery, which could never be removed and when the slaver dies, all of his slaves also die. he'd snatch a couple members of a local power, enslave them, and then have them lure out their friends a few at a time, then repeat the process on the next local power. he had no particular enmity with any of these people he enslaved, and no benefit to gain from doing so.

oh, my mistake. did i say villain? i meant the protagonist and supposed hero of the story.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
^^ Maybe they meant Greek heroism.

Avulsion posted:

In her defense, there shouldn't have been anyone deliberately targeting those two. They were pretty much the only ones who weren't going around making enemies, and should have been safer on their own.

Sort of. Thunderdome meant anyone weak was about to get smashed and grabbed for what resources they had. It might not have been personal, but it would still be damaging.

Li Suyin was still naive about cultivator honor, but Ling Qi thinks very clearly in the weeks leading up to Thunderdome that she doesn't know if Suyin is ready for Thunderdome. Ling Qi, of course, realizes cultivators are still human... And thus can be quite terrible.

For all Li Suyin seems demure, she's surprisingly dominant in the relationship with Su Ling. I thought Su Ling would have gotten the two of them in the woods and out of the way, and Su Ling would have done that but Suyin vetoed it.

I didn't agree with the shopping vote, but otoh, we might not have performed as well in the Meizhen fight - which would have changed the nature and meaning of the intervention apparently - without the qi discount talismans.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Katreus posted:

I didn't agree with the shopping vote, but otoh, we might not have performed as well in the Meizhen fight - which would have changed the nature and meaning of the intervention apparently - without the qi discount talismans.
Clearly we would have been with Li Suyin and Su Ling for the Meizhen fight :D

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
On the other hand, without that bad decision, we wouldn't have Punished Suyin as a thing.

Wonder when she'll level up into Venom Suyin, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So it is now established that Meizhen is in fact attracted to Ling Qi (just read her interlude, but it was kinda obvious before that). I'm kinda bummed at preemptively knowing that it's probably not gonna work out due to that inevitable future Good Friend -> Friend downgrade (and the fact that Ling Qi hasn't really given much indication of being attracted to girls). I'm holding out hope that maybe the downgrade is something Meizhen imposes on herself, rather than the result of Ling Qi rejecting her advances at some point, though I'm not exactly counting on it. Meizhen is my favorite and I want her to be happy :(.

As a side note, I kinda like how Han Jian became kinda distant as a result of Ling Qi's pretty ridiculous progress. It's an understandable response for someone who probably spent years reaching the point Ling Qi reached in just a few months.

I hope we learn more about Gan Guangli and Ji Rong at some point, since I think they might be the only other two prominent/named characters who have commonor/non-cultivator backgrounds.

edit: It was sad how Meizhen apparently cried due to whatever the corpse worm said, in addition to posing as dead Ling Qi.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 21, 2017

Katreus
May 31, 2011

It's not clear from how it's written, but the SL status are not the objective status. That is, each of them are indications of how Ling Qi feels about others. The only 'objective' SL status are the faction ones (i.e. 'watched').

Edit: Han Jian wise - Poor dude came in Peak Red/Gold. He's just had a horrid time with his breakthrough and had quite a few setbacks. Ling Qi succeeding on her first tries is probably salt on the wound.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 21, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Deathblades A Will Eternal translation has just gotten to the point that the old one dropped off at, the foundation establishment trial by fire

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/awe-index/awe-chapter-140/

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

drat it, caught up with Kumoko since the past arc ended and now it's not coming out every day again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Disciple Died Again and Ze Tian Ji are generally considered the best of the translated Chinese cultivation web novels, right? At least in terms of stories that don't just involve weird wish fulfillment stuff with an overpowered protagonist. I'm gonna finally start one of them soon I think. I'm leaning towards My Disciple Died Again because of the female protagonist.

edit: Regarding Forge of Destiny, I'm convinced that Su Ling is the most decent/moral person in the entire cast. Despite being kinda irritable, she's the only cultivator I've seen give a poo poo about mortals and have some sort of grounding in normalcy.

edit2: Oh no I just got to the part where Meizhen kissed Ling Qi. I totally saw this coming as soon as it was clear that Ling Qi's celebration present to her was basically a romantic date thing, though I was expecting something similar from earlier.

edit3: I feel like the readers hosed up by making Ling Qi force a conversation with Meizhen. Like, that wasn't really her place to do, since Meizhen was obviously trying to avoid the issue herself.

edit4: Hahaha, I think that Meizhen is now romantically interested in Cai Renxiang as a rebound from Ling Qi. This whole situation has been entirely realistic, but I still don't like it! I honestly don't know why this development (the Meizhen failed romance) bugs me so much, because I almost never care about "shipping" in fiction, but I was really big on this particular one (even though I knew it was doomed to failure). I think it's mostly that I'm a sucker for the "cold, emotionally repressed character learns to open up" plot device. In general it seems like Ling Qi's social relationships are kinda going to poo poo; almost everyone she was previously close to has their own poo poo going on and isn't very deeply involved with her.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 26, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My Disciple Died Yet Again is really great, when I first discovered this thread that was the other story I started reading along Returnee.

The only reason I fell off is because Returnee was trucking along at full speed at that time and I had gotten to a kind of boring part in Disciple, but I'm thinking about picking it up again now that Returnee's ended and I need another series to binge on slow days at work.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Disciple had a kind of confusing and meandering run in the divine realm arc. Definitely its low point.

But now it's really good because the protagonist and her master made it back to Earth and you can imagine how that goes.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 26, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So Kumo...

The effect of Taboo is reading all of the Past Arc? :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No one should have to go through that. :smith:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

edit3: I feel like the readers hosed up by making Ling Qi force a conversation with Meizhen. Like, that wasn't really her place to do, since Meizhen was obviously trying to avoid the issue herself.

Well, the conversation was a good idea because Meizhen was actually trying to make amend and it was awkward as gently caress but beside the bad rolls other reactions from Ling Qi doomed it.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

So Kumo...

The effect of Taboo is reading all of the Past Arc? :v:

No wonder she got so angry.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

The spoiler blocks are ok to read.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Regarding Forge of Destiny, I'm convinced that Su Ling is the most decent/moral person in the entire cast. Despite being kinda irritable, she's the only cultivator I've seen give a poo poo about mortals and have some sort of grounding in normalcy.

Yeah. She's pretty cool. Ling Qi herself isn't bad either, although she cares more in the abstract rather than the concrete for obvious reasons given her background. She's become a lot better though since the start re: roots (see: scene with well spirit).

quote:

edit2: Oh no I just got to the part where Meizhen [spoiler]kissed Ling Qi. I totally saw this coming as soon as it was clear that Ling Qi's celebration present to her was basically a romantic date thing, though I was expecting something similar from earlier.

Oh good. :v: Lake Scene was a stab in the heart by the QM of all readers and everyone should run into it head first like lambs to the slaughter. There are a lot of people who like the Bai Meizhen/Ling Qi relationship, but well, Ling Qi :( and also, Ling Qi still has a lot of Issues with romance, nobles, motherhood, freedom, so on.

Also, did you notice? We got played by a snake. Literally. This whole thing was Cui's idea.

quote:

Nah. It was just a bad roll. A really bad roll.

quote:

edit4: Hahaha, I think that Meizhen is now romantically interested in Cai Renxiang as a rebound from Ling Qi. This whole situation has been entirely realistic, but I still don't like it! I honestly don't know why this development (the Meizhen failed romance) bugs me so much, because I almost never care about "shipping" in fiction, but I was really big on this particular one (even though I knew it was doomed to failure). I think it's mostly that I'm a sucker for the "cold, emotionally repressed character learns to open up" plot device. In general it seems like Ling Qi's social relationships are kinda going to poo poo; almost everyone she was previously close to has their own poo poo going on and isn't very deeply involved with her.

Everyone was into it. ;_; Well, no one knows how Meizhen feels other than she thinks of CRX as a friend.

Well, yeah, teenagers all have their own drama going on, and Ling Qi's particular quests are pretty personal rather than CRX's rather obvious Outer Sect wide ambition. I don't think she's told anyone her background details in whole yet; only Gu Xiulan and Li Suyin have individual (and separate) pieces.

LMAO - on the outside looking in, trying to get details on the mysterious background of Ling Qi, if she were a SL, would be a trial in and of itself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

Everyone was into it. ;_; Well, no one knows how Meizhen feels other than she thinks of CRX as a friend.

Well, yeah, teenagers all have their own drama going on, and Ling Qi's particular quests are pretty personal rather than CRX's rather obvious Outer Sect wide ambition. I don't think she's told anyone her background details in whole yet; only Gu Xiulan and Li Suyin have individual (and separate) pieces.

LMAO - on the outside looking in, trying to get details on the mysterious background of Ling Qi, if she were a SL, would be a trial in and of itself.

While I really, really doubt this going to be the case, it would be nice if it turns out that Ling Qi's frequent blushing/flushing when girls get close to/touch her is due to some unacknowledged bisexuality or something (though I think it's just a more general "embarrassed at having someone in my personal space" reaction, and her relative lack at a reaction to stuff like bathing with Gu Xiulan strongly implies otherwise).

When you think you about, there are hardly any male characters Ling Qi is remotely close with. The only one that comes to mind is Han Jian, and she's not exceptionally close with him (they're more just like casual friends/acquaintances and Han Jian obviously feels closer to his other social group).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

While I really, really doubt this going to be the case, it would be nice if it turns out that Ling Qi's frequent blushing/flushing when girls get close to/touch her is due to some unacknowledged bisexuality or something (though I think it's just a more general "embarrassed at having someone in my personal space" reaction, and her relative lack at a reaction to stuff like bathing with Gu Xiulan strongly implies otherwise).

When you think you about, there are hardly any male characters Ling Qi is remotely close with. The only one that comes to mind is Han Jian, and she's not exceptionally close with him (they're more just like casual friends/acquaintances and Han Jian obviously feels closer to his other social group).

The problem with this is twofold. Around where you are is where it becomes really obvious that Ling Qi Very much distrusts men as a whole. In hindsight this was why she was so distrustful of Han Jian for so long, and why you constantly have her making huge assumptions on every guys she meets. Ling Qi saw horrible stuff back when she was a street rat, and and men SL are going to be really hard to get.

Then, there is the fact that Ling Qi actually has been trying to check girls out since Meizhen told her this, in hope to find some latent bisexuality. She... hasn't found it.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I am pretty sure that Ling Qi big bad problem is about physical intimacy. She repeatedly mentioned that she disliked being dressed up like a doll by her mother and was really uncomfortable with Gu Xiulan various ministrations (How long did it take before she finally agreed to go to a barber? Week 16 or something like that?). It seems to me that Ling Qi was mostly bothered by how Meizhen 'forced' herself on her, despite ostensibly being her friend.

Though really, I am not sure that Meizhen could conceivably know that beforehand given how little information Ling reveals about herself

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SITB posted:

I am pretty sure that Ling Qi big bad problem is about physical intimacy. She repeatedly mentioned that she disliked being dressed up like a doll by her mother and was really uncomfortable with Gu Xiulan various ministrations (How long did it take before she finally agreed to go to a barber? Week 16 or something like that?). It seems to me that Ling Qi was mostly bothered by how Meizhen 'forced' herself on her, despite ostensibly being her friend.

Though really, I am not sure that Meizhen could conceivably know that beforehand given how little information Ling reveals about herself

I mean, to be fair what Meizhen did was definitely wrong, since it's not really cool to just surprise kiss someone like that. That being said, I feel more sympathetic towards her mainly due to her repressed background; she was probably figuratively exploding with emotion during Ling Qi's kinda ill-conceived "absurdly romantic lake date," and she did put her hand on Ling Qi's before kissing here IIRC. Of course, that still doesn't really excuse not getting actual consent, but I could see someone in her situation viewing Ling Qi not pulling her hand away as implied consent.

Anyways, probably the biggest reason I'm pretty sure Ling Qi isn't going to suddenly discover her latent attraction to girls is that she has been quite straight-forward in her attraction to guys (specifically swole ones) throughout the entire story. The only thing that I can remember that was really ambiguous was her reaction to Li Suyin getting closer to her during their first mutual-cultivating session, and even that can probably be explained as more of a "being that close to someone is awkward" thing rather than attraction.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
So in the latest chapters of Kenkyo Kenjitsu on the ff.net translation (up to c280), it appears that Enjou has a thing for Reika. Like, he's tried flirting, goes out of his way to be nice to her, goes out of his way to run into her, uses her to avoid trouble at home, makes excuses to join her on outings, and seems to be looking for date spots she might like. Reika of course, being the darling she is, has no idea at all. Or it's just been written to have us suspect and there's something else going on, but I feel Kenkyo Kenjitsu is bigger on dramatic irony rather than keeping the plot away from the reader.

Who knows how that might work, though. Reika's paranoia is especially bad when it comes to Enjou.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've thought Enjou was interested in Reika since they were in middle school.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Been reading My Disciple Died Again since I'm all caught up on Kumoko and it's pretty fun and funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for a while i read rebirth of the legendary guardian when i had nothing better to do. it's a completely generic time jump to succeed at an mmo wn, except for one thing. see, the author is completely loving deranged when it comes to the subject of institutional corruption. i don't think he actually gives a drat about all the mmo garbage, but the writing gets way more passionate whenever institutional corruption comes up. the really strange part is that he doesn't hate institutional corruption at all. rather, he loving loves it and thinks it is the best thing in the world, but only when it serves himself/his dull self-insert. his intense hunger for that particular kind of power bleeds from the text. the only other amusing aspect is how it is incredibly obvious that the author has never exercised even once in his life.

i'm not recommending it even for the garbage fiction thread, i just thought it was strange.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well at least someone's honest with their feelings of wanting totalitarian governments that solely exist for them and them alone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kind of weird when China is a place that actually executes ridiculously corrupt officials.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Synthbuttrange posted:

Kind of weird when China is a place that actually executes ridiculously corrupt officials.

Yeah but also a long history of hilariously powerful corrupt officials.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just be the right kind of corrupt

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, one thing that stands out to me about that Forge of Destiny web novel is that almost every other character has their own life and goals that exist independently of the protagonist and her own narrative. Like, if you choose almost any named character, they'll have some sort of personal goals that the protagonist herself isn't involved in and often isn't informed about. It's kind pathetic in a way how this random web novel manages to succeed with this bare minimum of storytelling/characterization that most other "nerd media" fiction is absolutely terrible at. Most of these other web novels (and non-web novel stuff, like actual manga/anime, video game plots, etc) have side characters that almost always revolve around the protagonist in some way. Even if they have their own goals, the protagonist will end up being included in attempting to accomplish them.

It's just kinda interesting to me, because the writer himself isn't really that great, at least in terms of prose and grammar/vocabulary, but the underlying ideas still manage to be better than a lot of "professional" fiction.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
The writer's pretty good in prose but he writes way too fast so a lot of grammar/vocabulary is not so great.

Also, it's not just that every characters have goals and a life, but that there are constant details about it and the world that you have to pay attention to to notice. It's really well done.

Oh, and it's a quest, not a web novel :p

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Kenkyo, which I marathoned thanks to the translations on ff.net, in 284 Enjou's feelings towards Reika are made pretty clear for those still in the dark. I also didn't realize that this was still ongoing, so that's a pleasant surprise.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Kenkyo, does the protagonist of the manga (Wakaba IIRC) ever gain a prominent role? I still haven't caught up with a bunch of the newer chapters (I think I'm around 90 something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Kenkyo, does the protagonist of the manga (Wakaba IIRC) ever gain a prominent role? I still haven't caught up with a bunch of the newer chapters (I think I'm around 90 something).

She does.