Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Another q: if the Strange Solution upgrades require being upgraded from the discovered strange solution, that means if I want to have 2 upgraded ones I have to leave one of the basic ones in my deck if I want to upgrade one now and one later, correct? But, once the solution has been discovered once, I'm good to go, right? And I can split them around between the 3 types of solutions (if I wanted to, but I can't see why you wouldn't just pick the clear best one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I still have yet to ever actually go through the entirety of my deck during a scenario.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I still have yet to ever actually go through the entirety of my deck during a scenario.

Even in the scenario where they are trying to mill you we didn't really come close.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

If you have enough exp, you can upgrade both right away. Otherwise you can upgrade the second whenever, since once you have recorded in your campaign log that you figured it out, there's nothing to erase that later on, and the upgrades only say you have to have it in your log, not that you have to upgrade right after the scenario when you identified it and then you lose the opportunity or something like that.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

ShaneB posted:

Another q: if the Strange Solution upgrades require being upgraded from the discovered strange solution, that means if I want to have 2 upgraded ones I have to leave one of the basic ones in my deck if I want to upgrade one now and one later, correct? But, once the solution has been discovered once, I'm good to go, right? And I can split them around between the 3 types of solutions (if I wanted to, but I can't see why you wouldn't just pick the clear best one).

All of that is correct, yes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

If you have enough exp, you can upgrade both right away. Otherwise you can upgrade the second whenever, since once you have recorded in your campaign log that you figured it out, there's nothing to erase that later on, and the upgrades only say you have to have it in your log, not that you have to upgrade right after the scenario when you identified it and then you lose the opportunity or something like that.

Yeah, I only have 6xp right now, and 2x Pathfinder needs to go in ASAP. 2x Pathfinder, 1 acidic potion seems pretty sick. Knowing what I want to take out is the hard part. I did -1 Strange Solution, -1 Emergency Cache, -1 Mind over Matter.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

ShaneB posted:

Yeah, I only have 6xp right now, and 2x Pathfinder needs to go in ASAP. 2x Pathfinder, 1 acidic potion seems pretty sick. Knowing what I want to take out is the hard part. I did -1 Strange Solution, -1 Emergency Cache, -1 Mind over Matter.

If you take out the second unupgraded solution I think you might be able to buy another acidic potion later on for 5xp (4xp the upgrade itself + 1xp to put lvl 0 solution in the deck), but somebody will have to confirm this.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yessss! I think I have two buddies who want to play a campaign with me! Considering I played the core and most of the Dunwich solo (two handed) I am very excited to play with others haha. I hadn't even looked at the new cards until I got Path to Carcosa...the last few APs + a new deluxe means I have so many new toys to build with.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

If you take out the second unupgraded solution I think you might be able to buy another acidic potion later on for 5xp (4xp the upgrade itself + 1xp to put lvl 0 solution in the deck), but somebody will have to confirm this.

That seems like a spirit vs. letter of the law kinda thing.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I've been goofing around with Yorick's innate ability and found out some subtleties worth sharing.

For example, you can discard a knife for a fight check and, if you kill the enemy, trigger Yorick's ability to immediately re-equip it, but the same does not hold true for breaking the baseball bat with a skull or tentacle draw when killing something because the weapon doesn't move to the discard until after the fight (and Yorick's ability trigger) has resolved.

Also, asset cards committed for their icons to a fight check that defeats an enemy cannot be immediately equipped with Yorick's ability because it resolves before they are technically added to the discard. Sadly, no pitching your leather coat at an enemy for the kill just to sneakily equip it for free in the same action.

And as far as I know, assets you have in play cannot be arbitrarily discarded just so you can resurrect them later. Even if you use up all of your smoking pipe, you're stuck with it on the table unless something like a treachery card specifically forces you to discard it. A gun with no bullets can be gotten rid of, but only by equipping another hand item when your available slots are all full.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Obama 2012 posted:

And as far as I know, assets you have in play cannot be arbitrarily discarded just so you can resurrect them later. Even if you use up all of your smoking pipe, you're stuck with it on the table unless something like a treachery card specifically forces you to discard it. A gun with no bullets can be gotten rid of, but only by equipping another hand item when your available slots are all full.

Yeah, it's both a curse and a blessing. My wife was grumpy that her used up Colt couldn't be discarded, and I reminded her some game cards make you discard an asset, so it's nice to have a lovely empty gun lying around.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, I have a question for an upcoming Dunwich campaing. We'll be a group of three players, one who'll be playing Jim and the other one Mark. I still haven't decided which gator I'm going to play. Duke and Rex are out (having played them recently, but I really feel Rex would be best in this group) and I don't want to play Lola (since she'll want to mess with the shared cardpool alot). Which gator should I pick and why? Are any of the Rogues decent enough to find clues, or do I need to go Seeker? I could see myself playing Yorick as well, but is his clue gathering skills enough? Please Obi-thread Kenobi, you're my only hope...

Zerf fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 25, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zerf posted:

So, I have a question for an upcoming Dunwich campaing. We'll be a group of three players, one who'll be playing Jim and the other one Mark. I still haven't decided which gator I'm going to play. Duke and Rex are out (having played them recently, but I really feel Rex would be best in this group) and I don't want to play Lola (since she'll want to mess with the shared cardpool alot). Which gator should I pick and why? Are any of the Rogues decent enough to find clues, or do I need to go Seeker? I could see myself playing Yorick as well, but is his clue gathering skills enough? Please Obi-thread Kenobi, you're my only hope...

Maybe do a spellcasting Daisy or something off the wall with her? Dunno. Just an idea.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

ShaneB posted:

Maybe do a spellcasting Daisy or something off the wall with her? Dunno. Just an idea.

Was thinking of Daisy, but since one guy is playing Jim, all the nice spells are gone :/

My original plan was to play Mark myself, but since I own the collection I opted to choose last. I hope that Rogues gets more support for finding clues, I really want to play a sneaky character lurking about. Lockpick certainly helps, but those cost XP.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I went through my deck three times as solo Ashcan Pete doing hard mode Carnevale of Horrors. Some of the events in that scenario can really delay things. I also had a rabbit foot and an inability to pass checks, so lots of card draw.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

What cards that expansions/mythos packs give you in pairs do you all think are worth having more than 2 of? Ignoring the core set, of course. And this list is probably not sufficient now that some of the Carcosa investigators can use up to level 2 cards of some classes.

Stuff I can think of:
Shortcut
Quick Thinking
Drawn to the Flame (if you want to try a 2P setup with no Seeker, perhaps?)
Fire Axe

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words

Zerf posted:

Since Mystic and Guardian pools are off-limits, try Wendy? I feel like Lockpicking along with the usual Survivor cards can make her a pretty good main investigator that is excellent at evasion as well.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

We just played Undimensioned and Unseen and is it just me or was that scenario bad?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

sexart posted:

Since Mystic and Guardian pools are off-limits, try Wendy? I feel like Lockpicking along with the usual Survivor cards can make her a pretty good main investigator that is excellent at evasion as well.

Yeah, just went through all investigators and my options seems to be Wendy, Jenny or Minh. I'll have to think about that a bit, since I'm not overly excited by any of them.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Radish posted:

We just played Undimensioned and Unseen and is it just me or was that scenario bad?

Why did you think it was bad? I enjoyed it a lot, it certainly felt memorable. I could see how some of the mechanics would make it frustrating but I thought it added to the tenseness of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The first quest in Carcosa is probably my favorite. Love the slime spreading everywhere at the end. Essex County Express is 2nd.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Why did you think it was bad? I enjoyed it a lot, it certainly felt memorable. I could see how some of the mechanics would make it frustrating but I thought it added to the tenseness of it.

I had a few issues:

1. There was even more randomness than usual that had very large effects on the game. The monsters first turn immediately both jumped us randomly. I guess we could have both moved far to a location which they both weren't adjacent to but the chance of them all hitting our location wasn't super likely. We were able to get away from that which was because of our bad planning, but then a scenario card made them do it again two turns later in the location we HAD to investigate so it was unavoidable. This location also lowered the stat we needed to fight the monsters.
2. This may have to do with our characters all having low agility but evading them was a pain. Additionally most of my cards as the combat character were absolutely useless in a scenario centered around beating a bunch of big monsters so I was drawing nothing useful for turns which felt pretty bad.
3. There was almost zero story to it and the locations had little to them.

Basically for me it was low investigation so the investigation character was bored and also a high combat scenario where you were punished for having a combat focused character deck. It felt stressful but not in a way that made it exciting or fun, just hoping every turn the randomness didn't screw us in both the monster movements as well as the scenario cards. We may have just rolled snake eyes in every way we could have so the randomness seemed more punishing than usual but it was just not fun. I think it was the scenario card that forced every monster to move towards us so they got a double turn (after an additional one spawned we couldn't have planned for) was really the back breaker and not really that fair.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 26, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

The first quest in Carcosa is probably my favorite. Love the slime spreading everywhere at the end. Essex County Express is 2nd.

FYI this depends on which act card you get. For me it was a loving fire the started spreading everywhere.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Max posted:

FYI this depends on which act card you get. For me it was a loving fire the started spreading everywhere.

We had water flooding the theater. The Carcosa scenarios were both great. The story was more realized through the cards and was just better written than the core or Dunwich. Re: The Last King I loved seeing the bystanders' art go from party-ready to completely grotesque. It wasn't entirely unexpected given what you see throughout the scenario, but it was still very cool. The story cards have a ton of exciting potential.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Zerf posted:

Yeah, just went through all investigators and my options seems to be Wendy, Jenny or Minh. I'll have to think about that a bit, since I'm not overly excited by any of them.

Decided to go with a Dark Horse Minh build (current iteration here: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/71037) . Anyone here tried her yet? Does she have any combos I should be aware about?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Radish posted:

I had a few issues:

Hmm, I'm not sure then if I just got lucky, or you had a bad break. I do think it's somewhat designed to punish a lot of the workaround-type things that people use (similar to how the previous mission doesn't let you "cheat" for clues/investigation as much). Also, I think we basically took a turn off to do a lot of setup (thanks gold pocket watch!) so after we kinda figured out the gimmick, we got loaded for bear and then proceeded.

Also, thinking back we may have had more xp in our group since we make ample use of delve too deep. I'm starting to think that card's too good and/or needs to have some sort of limit. In our try at Carcosa, we got through the first scenario with 13 xp. Of course, showing that xp isn't everything we struggled hard in the second part (group of 4 with 3 people playing new characters, 2 of which seemed to have made some highly suspect deckbuilding choices).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Hey Carcosa-havers, how did Yorrick turn out in practice? I'm particularly thinking about the viability of the shovel/knife shenanigans, given he can simply pack a machete?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

Hey Carcosa-havers, how did Yorrick turn out in practice? I'm particularly thinking about the viability of the shovel/knife shenanigans, given he can simply pack a machete?

I found him to be really good with guns.

Shovel is terrible for a primary combatant. It is OK as a backup for Minh. She'll likely have Dark Horse which means the Fire Axe doesn't work.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Knife and lantern are great on William. Machete is good like always but knives help you fight multiple people. I think he's probably the second best combat person behind Lola, and you could make arguments he's the best.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Curtain Call question: Are the extra tokens added to the Chaos Bag meant to stay in there for future scenarios? Previously they've always specified new tiles should be added 'for the remainder of the campaign', but this time they didn't.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Obama 2012 posted:

Curtain Call question: Are the extra tokens added to the Chaos Bag meant to stay in there for future scenarios? Previously they've always specified new tiles should be added 'for the remainder of the campaign', but this time they didn't.

They are meant to be there at least until the end of the next scenario.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I got an email from Team Covenant -- apparently there's an Arkham Horror novella about Jenny Barnes. Comes with an alternate art Jenny Barnes and two new, alternate signature cards. Also Jenny is apparently short for Guinevere.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think packing in cards with actual different gameplay effects as incentive to buy their novels is a little shady (especially when they are fairly expensive). If it was just the alternate art I wouldn't care.

It's not a huge deal or anything but it feels off.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm someone would have bought the novella anyway, and I still agree completely. Anything affecting gameplay should be available through normal pack purchases. Alternate art or foil cards or whatever would be fine, but this kind of smells.

Someone posted pics of the cards and rules:

Also someone received Roland promos instead of Jenny promos by accident, so I would expect more of these are coming.

So one of Roland's promo cards has a mechanic that, to the best of my knowledge, does not exist anywhere else in the game (clue creation).

It gets hard to defend FFG sometimes.

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 20, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That Medallion mechanic is actually pretty cool and interesting. Roland's one is cool but surely a single free clue isn't enough incentive to replace the .38? Hopefully they get wider releases when zero people purchase their terrible books.

But is this a new thing? Didn't a previous book come with a completely new exclusive investigator?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

That Medallion mechanic is actually pretty cool and interesting. Roland's one is cool but surely a single free clue isn't enough incentive to replace the .38?

You can take both. You can even use the new card to make a clue to power the revolver.

The revolver also doesn't scale as well once you have a lot of xp.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

That Medallion mechanic is actually pretty cool and interesting. Roland's one is cool but surely a single free clue isn't enough incentive to replace the .38? Hopefully they get wider releases when zero people purchase their terrible books.

But is this a new thing? Didn't a previous book come with a completely new exclusive investigator?

Marie, allegedly, will be part of a future big box expansion. The cards attached to the novellas are exclusive.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Lambeau was said to be available in one of the later cycles down the line (one or two further, guesstimating by the time it took for Fisk and Chronos Protocol in Netrunner), with the book offering to get her earlier. The alt-investigators apprear to be only ever purchasable by dropping coin on the fanfic books.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's annoying, but it's not difficult to proxy them so it doesn't bother me that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, that's definitely true, especially if you sleeve like God intended.