Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MonsterEnvy posted:

We got some previews from Xanathar's Guide.

Namely character names. (Of which we get the Dragonborn section.) http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_RewardNames.pdf

And Random Encounters. (We get the entire Arctic Section and levels 1-4 of the coast section.) http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_RewardEnc.pdf

Ahahaha, of course the preview is just some more goddamn tables. Someone at Wizards really loving loves their tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How do random encounters work with "6-8 encounters/day". The time for random encounters seems to be when the group is travelling long distances but....I'm not having 6-8 per day of travel. They all just feel like "party blasts them with everything they've got" and it's over right quick. I mean, it's fun to have fights that aren't about attrition, but the casters really shine. That list has extremely tough encounters and extremely easy ones at each level as well.

My conclusion was that random encounters should be more about flavor and world-building than tough combat but this list barely has any of that. I mean, sure, I can integrate the world into a random encounter with some of those things but it kinda feels toothless.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 25, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lurdiak posted:

Ahahaha, of course the preview is just some more goddamn tables. Someone at Wizards really loving loves their tables.

There are more previews coming from Xanathar's Guide these just have not come out yet.

List of new wizard spells, from Xanathar’s Guide
Subclass preview, from Xanathar’s Guide
Table of Contents, from Xanathar’s Guide

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

How do random encounters work with "6-8 encounters/day". The time for random encounters seems to be when the group is travelling long distances but....I'm not having 6-8 per day of travel. They all just feel like "party blasts them with everything they've got" and it's over right quick. I mean, it's fun to have fights that aren't about attrition, but the casters really shine. That list has extremely tough encounters and extremely easy ones at each level as well.

My conclusion was that random encounters should be more about flavor and world-building than tough combat but this list barely has any of that. I mean, sure, I can integrate the world into a random encounter with some of those things but it kinda feels toothless.

honestly, just don't have random encounters, they basically don't add anything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whew, new spells.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Subjunctive posted:

Whew, new spells.

Spells are cool.

Anyway the Table of Contents is the thing I am most interested of the Previews.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Conspiratiorist posted:

If the base Ranger is outdamaging the Paladin in your party, especially with a +2 magical 1d4+2d6 weapon, then that Paladin must be doing something really, really wrong.

That said, PHB Hunter is functional, but suffers from being a worse Fighter. It gets a bad deal on the combat potential it sacrifices for the sake of some utility between spellcasting and it's two main abilities (Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer). It does okayish 5-8 but then Fighter and Paladin clearly start coming out ahead from the compounding synergy of their class features, and then bam powerspike at 11th while Ranger gets loving nothing.

PHB Beastmaster is hot garbage.

I won't go into 5e bad design.
And those two utility "main abilities" fuckin' sucked rear end, by the way. A couple free languages, better food foraging, and the ability to burn a spell to know if one or more vaguely defined things exists within a few miles of me? Holy poo poo.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
That one about knowing about animals in your area is also extra funny because it requires you to be able to see them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MonsterEnvy posted:

Spells are cool.

Anyway the Table of Contents is the thing I am most interested of the Previews.

Oh cool
Casters get more options with each supplement

whats that
there are classes that use melee

pish posh

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

There are more previews coming from Xanathar's Guide these just have not come out yet.

List of new wizard spells, from Xanathar’s Guide
Subclass preview, from Xanathar’s Guide
Table of Contents, from Xanathar’s Guide

Are there new battlemaster maneuvers?

Philthy posted:

Using crossbows and associate feats is him doing 3 shots every round with +17 damage per shot on top of rolled damage.Throw in a hunters mark for the first round and it's even more. The only way the Paladin is keeping up is when he crits.

The thing you need to be thinking about is, what if the fighter takes those same feats? Or a Valor Bard? Or a War Cleric? etc

The feats he's using is what is giving him that damage, not really anything the class does and all those other classes with the same feats manage to make use of it far better.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 26, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

You sweet summer child, you.

At least 3e's feat treadmill had new martial content regularly.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

You sweet summer child, you.

At least 3e's feat treadmill had new martial content regularly.

I was getting ready to give my hot take about it too. I will always be astounded that people don't see why the battlemaster's constantly shrinking pool of abilities means they are in no way equal to a caster despite having a far more limited resource.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Don't worry I'm sure they'll be added before the book is released or as a free online supplement to the book or in the next book or in the core book of the next edition or in a supplement for that or you could make some up so really I don't understand why you're complaining.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you let fighters do maneuvers for free would it actually break the game if per-short-rest also went to 1/encounter?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Fighters doing maneuvers every round wouldn't break the game.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

dont even fink about it posted:

If you let fighters do maneuvers for free would it actually break the game if per-short-rest also went to 1/encounter?

Evidently not, given that the Rogue can literally attempt to hide on every single turn (Cunning Action) to get easy sneak attacks, and a +10 to stealth is easy enough to get by level 5.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

From a high-level design perspective, random encounters "work" by not forcing you to hand-craft 6 to 8 encounters per day, because the party is inevitably going to trigger some in the normal course of their exploration.

Basically, you might have a dozen "deliberate" encounters from the entrance of the dungeon to the big reward pile, and then random encounters are a "cost" attached to the party being unstealthy, taking too long, taking long detours, being undiplomatic, and so on. It might add maybe another 3 to 4 encounters, which can be the difference between getting to the reward pile in one jaunt or two.

It's not really something that you can/should use if you're playing plot-heavy narratives that seem to be more common nowadays, since they'd end up adding needless tedium to the gameplay.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My group is about to start a campaign my friend is DMing and he homebrewed his own world and stuff, it looks super cool. His only backstory restriction is that we all come from a small farming town and grew up together, so no mysterious strangers or princes or poo poo.

The story is something like we grew up in a small farming town that can grow some vegetable that the rest of the world can't do the area is rapidly growing and becoming rich and that somehow is part of the story, so I have some wiggle room.

I'm trying to think of farm town backstories and I'm not sure what I should focus on. My girlfriend is planning on rolling a Druid that's a "professional scarecrow", we have a rogue and a hunter that I don't know the backstories of. I'm thinking some kind of frontline fighter but I'm not sure which one. Any ideas?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

The thing you need to be thinking about is, what if the fighter takes those same feats? Or a Valor Bard? Or a War Cleric? etc

The feats he's using is what is giving him that damage, not really anything the class does and all those other classes with the same feats manage to make use of it far better.

I don't own the book I have no clue. There will be new subclasses and stuff for Classes like the fighter.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh cool
Casters get more options with each supplement

whats that
there are classes that use melee

pish posh
Just because spells don't benefit Martials does not mean they are not cool.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Don't put any thought into backgrounds besides the most superficial, the only thing that matters is what you end up doing at the table anyway. Ymmv.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
True, but having at least a solid idea of a backstory can be helpful for RP

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Thumbtacks posted:

My group is about to start a campaign my friend is DMing and he homebrewed his own world and stuff, it looks super cool. His only backstory restriction is that we all come from a small farming town and grew up together, so no mysterious strangers or princes or poo poo.

The story is something like we grew up in a small farming town that can grow some vegetable that the rest of the world can't do the area is rapidly growing and becoming rich and that somehow is part of the story, so I have some wiggle room.

I'm trying to think of farm town backstories and I'm not sure what I should focus on. My girlfriend is planning on rolling a Druid that's a "professional scarecrow", we have a rogue and a hunter that I don't know the backstories of. I'm thinking some kind of frontline fighter but I'm not sure which one. Any ideas?

You spent 15 years working on a farm lifting heifers and bales of hay. You've never fought or even raised your voice in your entire goddamn life. You're a gentle giant and someone put a dang sword in your hand and you can't stop saying gawrsh back on the farm folks were more friendly like than this. You drop the sword whenever you get riled and just grapple the poo poo out of who/whatever and hogtie them with your lengths of rope.

e: Variant Human, grapple master feat

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 26, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just because spells don't benefit Martials does not mean they are not cool.

It's nice when the first book of new stuff for players (how many years into this edition did that take?) has plenty of cool new things for only half of the players and the others have to make new characters to use them at all.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't own the book I have no clue. There will be new subclasses and stuff for Classes like the fighter.

Oh so the spells they're adding are going to be restricted to a new subclass of wizard?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

Oh so the spells they're adding are going to be restricted to a new subclass of wizard?

I don't know. Probably not. As the Wizard may not be getting a subclass.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Amish inspired Monk or Paladin about to go on a Rumspringa adventure.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't know. Probably not. As the Wizard may not be getting a subclass.

Cool, so do you see what my question and concern is with regards to half the class getting something that is broadly accessible and applicable and the other half of classes that won't get things that are broadly accessible and applicable.

I mean I would also ask why the Battlemaster maneuver list isn't as widespread and comprehensive as spells but thats a ship thats long sailed so I'll ask you something more realistic. Do you think the fighter will have fighter only mechanics and functionality that apply to all sorts of fighters (or alternatively stuff for all existing PHB fighter subclasses) in the new book?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Spells are cool..
MonsterEnvy, you seem to be doing That Thing where you reply to a contextual issue with a statement that is arguably correct when completely devoid of context. Why are you doing That Thing?

Anyway I hope there's powerful new battlemaster abilities that you can only unlock past a certain level hang on some guy with a nametag saying MM is giving me the stink eye all of a suddeb, brb.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Splicer posted:

MonsterEnvy, you seem to be doing That Thing where you reply to a contextual issue with a statement that is arguably correct when completely devoid of context. Why are you doing That Thing?

Because addressing actual inequality would cut into ME's gimmick of being the resident 5e-liker.

I wouldn't play a non-caster, even in 4e, and I still understand that only giving half the people new cool poo poo isn't all that great. Especially when you remember that they get about 1/3rd of the base PHB to themselves too

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Splicer posted:

Who even cares about a formula?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Namely character names. (Of which we get the Dragonborn section.) http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_RewardNames.pdf

I can't wait to be a dragonborn from the Grrrmmballhyst clan.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

I can't wait to be a dragonborn from the Grrrmmballhyst clan.

Personally I think Chumbyxirinnish is for me.

Could this thing be any more :effort:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

gesundheit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

Could this thing be any more :effort:

I ended up looking at the lizardfolk name tables from Volo's Guide to Monsters and it turns out they were all taken from 3e. Wouldn't surprise me if these are similar. Good job Mearls!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

I ended up looking at the lizardfolk name tables from Volo's Guide to Monsters and it turns out they were all taken from 3e. Wouldn't surprise me if these are similar. Good job Mearls!

Too lazy to even use a random name generator. Then again, the D&D team is now what, three people working out of a supply closet in the back of the MTG offices?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

lmao of loving course

4e PHB on the right:

EDIT: if you look at page 33 of your 5e PHB, those names from the 4e PHB are repeated again, verbatim.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 26, 2017

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Why reinvent the wheel?

(LOL if you don't pull all your character names out of the Onomasticon Anglo-Saxonicum.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
To be fair, name lists are a very frequently repeated piece of content for D&D. Which is fine, they're stylistic setting statements and having those be consistent is a good thing.

What's stupid is Mearls copying from old lists and passing it off as new content without any changes, such as that big list of dragonborn names, the lizardfolk names, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

What's stupid is Mearls copying from old lists and passing it off as new content without any changes

Yeah it's this. It's kind of understandable that you'd copy-paste the 4e Dragonborn name list over to the 5e Dragonborn name list, but don't claim it as "bonus content", especially when it's supposed to be a "reward" for donating to a charity. That's just in bad taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also for your first player-facing rules supplement ever, pages upon pages of name tables is loving lazy filler, when you already have pretty okay name lists in the PHB. That's not meaningful space at this point in your game's lifespan. Put some more battlemaster maneuvers in there or something. I like name tables but that ain't what 5e needs.