Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
also, primaris heads/helmets are the same size as the ones on old marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cainer
May 8, 2008
So someone could have an entire army of beaky primarus marines? Why haven't I seen that yet?!

edit:vvvv Oh, I suppose that makes sense. Beakies are rad though.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 26, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cainer posted:

So someone could have an entire army of beaky primarus marines? Why haven't I seen that yet?!

Because its a fair bit of money and effort and tacticus helmets are actually kind of sweet anyway.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Really feel Primaris characters suffer because of the new school, very fixed configurations. Where's my equipment options, GW?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shockeh posted:

Really feel Primaris characters suffer because of the new school, very fixed configurations. Where's my equipment options, GW?

In $25 upgrade sprues after Christmas.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That definitely bothers me as well. The best part about characters is their customisation and that's sorely lacking. Doesn't bother me as much with the support characters, when am I ever actually gonna want any sort of Apothecary near combat, but even the Stormcast bigwigs get at least a few different weapon options.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shockeh posted:

I don't know and I hate it. Especially things like only having the option for a power fist if you also take a plasma pistol, or not being allowed to take a bolt rifle for some idiotic reason. Let me take a bolt rifle power fist Captain already.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Characters in 40k are going the way of AOS with very few options. The only reason regular Marine Captains and the like have options is they're been grandfathered in from previous editions.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Suppose that makes them easier to balance. Though the only time I can remember a recent instance of a character being given a weapon-option that was rendered problematic by some rules interaction was Blackshields and Heavy Thunder-Hammers, but even then that was a very niche case.

(And yes, I'm still hecka mad they kept that errata'd restriction on HTH's over into the Index. Blackshields don't even have the double-attacks rule any more GW, I don't want to have to remodel the one model I've actually finished!).

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know and I hate it. Especially things like only having the option for a power fist if you also take a plasma pistol, or not being allowed to take a bolt rifle for some idiotic reason. Let me take a bolt rifle power fist Captain already.
Yo, Beer. Pay attention to the goon chapter challenge thread. I may be late as all hell, but I still wish to partake.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

R0ckfish posted:

Finished up some incepters this weekend while my internet was out

Man, I REALLY like these, how do you get the green so smooth? Whats the recipe for this scheme? I want to steal it!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

!Klams posted:

Man, I REALLY like these, how do you get the green so smooth? Whats the recipe for this scheme? I want to steal it!

The green is 4x quick passes of waagh flesh airbrushed over a black base followed by 3x quick passes of zenithal warpstone glow, recesses are washed with nuln oil, highlighted moot green -> yriel only on bits which the warpstone is visible.
The black is just abaddon with the brightest points having dark reaper, surrounded by a 50/50 of aba/dark reaper, then two glazes of black first starting from the top, second from halfway down.
flames are long teardrop shapes of mephiston red, each filled with wild rider red and smaller teardrops placed between the big ones, then the same kind of thing with fire dragon bright, then a quick squiggle of yriel at the bottom of the flames, another super small one of white scar, then black dots for the coals.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

goose willis posted:

I live in a pretty small apartment building and it's just a lobby entrance and there has never been a time when they couldn't get in because there's always this old racist lady that sits in the lobby waiting for the mail around noon and I would be loving shocked if she didn't let them in
There's your answer right there; your new mail carrier is black, and the racist old lady actually wouldn't let him in. QED

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Groetgaffel posted:

Yo, Beer. Pay attention to the goon chapter challenge thread. I may be late as all hell, but I still wish to partake.

Sorry, will do.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Regiment focus: Mordian is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/regiment-focus-mordian-sep26gw-homepage-post-2/

Maybe I'm not seeing something but it seems pretty underwhelming.

E: I guess the unique order that lets them target characters with rapid fire weapons is pretty fun.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sorry, will do.

:toot:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Russes firing twice with their turret gun if they move under half is great.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Getting a bonus for literally standing shoulder to shoulder is awesome. Mordian is still my favorite Guard.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I'm the non-matching squad numbers between slashy-slashy guy and the LasCannon.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Booley posted:

Russes firing twice with their turret gun if they move under half is great.
I love me my tanks, and being a Catachan armoured regiment sounds really sweet. Re-rolling number of shots, and shooting twice if I move at half speed? gently caress yes.

I do hope I'll be able to make a workable list with only, or at least mostly, vehicles.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Interesting what they're going for with the Mordians, it's just too bad their rules don't work and will require a day-zero FAQ. (overwatch hits on a 6 regardless of modifers iirc).

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Interesting what they're going for with the Mordians, it's just too bad their rules don't work and will require a day-zero FAQ. (overwatch hits on a 6 regardless of modifers iirc).
Codex overrides rulebook.
Tau T'au had overwatch at better than 6+ previous edition already.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Codex overrides rulebook.
Tau T'au had overwatch at better than 6+ previous edition already.

There are several units that get 'Overwatch hits on 5 or 6 instead of 6' but that isn't the same as a +1 modifier.

To clarify:

8th ed Battle Primer posted:

Overwatch is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one resolved in the enemy’s Charge phase) and uses all the normal rules except that a 6 is always required for a successful hit roll, irrespective of the firing model’s Ballistic Skill or any modifiers.

A rule which says 'you need a 5 or 6 to hit in overwatch' is fine because that's a special rule which modifies the overwatch rule.

However a +1 modifier doesn't work because it doesn't override the 'ignore modifiers' part of the rule.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 26, 2017

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Pendent posted:

Regiment focus: Mordian is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/26/regiment-focus-mordian-sep26gw-homepage-post-2/

Maybe I'm not seeing something but it seems pretty underwhelming.

E: I guess the unique order that lets them target characters with rapid fire weapons is pretty fun.

Mordian doctrine sucks but the rapid fire targeting characters order is strong.

And doubleshooting russes might make them actually worthwhile to put on the table.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
If you use the overwatch stratagem on a mordian tank in close order it hits overwatch on a 4+, that's brutal.

Also I've been dying for close order drill to be replaced since 5th edition.

Their order is ridiculous too. Have a platoon commander and plasma vets roll up somewhere in a chimera and kill whatever character they feel like.

So anyway, after reading the codex, just how many loving tanks do the iron hands have? They deployed hundreds of tanks to fight a renegade titan legion, and the 13th crusade invasion of medusa was the largest armored battle since the heresy. Does this chapter have more tanks than a guard regiment or are the writers hacks?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 26, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Mordian Doctrine rules, it's like the old Close Order Drill rules from 4th, super characterful and maybe sorta useful on occasion. Also lol @ Heavy 40 Punishers now

Thank you!

chutche2 posted:

Does this chapter have more tanks than a guard regiment or are the writers hacks?

Yes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Mordians look great. Doubling the effectiveness of overwatch is fun, and finally we have a better antidote to Gullispam than snipers.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
How do GW tend to do releases, like now that the Admech codex is out, is it even possible that they'll do any new Admech models ever? It seems like such a shame if this is it, and there wont be any new characters for the different forgeworlds, because it just feels like the tax for not playing Mars isn't worth any of the bonuses? This is all well and good for me, because I only just started so its like I've just been told "Oh no, your army is actually even more awesome than you thought", which is great, but its like, there almost needn't have been a whole codex release?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

!Klams posted:

How do GW tend to do releases, like now that the Admech codex is out, is it even possible that they'll do any new Admech models ever? It seems like such a shame if this is it, and there wont be any new characters for the different forgeworlds, because it just feels like the tax for not playing Mars isn't worth any of the bonuses? This is all well and good for me, because I only just started so its like I've just been told "Oh no, your army is actually even more awesome than you thought", which is great, but its like, there almost needn't have been a whole codex release?

I'd assume they'd do it: "Super-Duper Uber-Magos Flooby-Floob is from forgeworld "WHATEVER" and adds the following Stratagem, in addition to those already listed in Codex: AdMech..."?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I think rather than book releases after the codex they're releasing new rules in the boxes of new models

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
We're in semi-uncharted waters due to this being a clean slate edition, with no old rule support besides indexes. We're also seeing a way faster and more relentless codex schedule.

I can't see 8th going away anytime soon, but it would not surprise me to see codex updates for factions that already had one pop up through 8th. I feel like Admech would be priority for that sort of update tbh, if only due to being a newer range with a model-light codex.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

!Klams posted:

Traditionally it was book + models only, then for a while books were dropping with rules but no models and some might get filled in later, now there's absolutely no rules without a model but they might do stand-alone model releases since the dataslate things come in the boxes. In theory the latter is what you should be familiar with from Warmachine, but they've yet to actually try doing it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Oh, ok cool, so it seems like its not off the cards that there would be new doods. Thats really awesome! Yeah, having the rules in the box is how Warmachine does it, but they've actually moved even beyond that now and you can only get the rules for free online, such that it is a living document. (You need either an app to play or cards for all your models, and you can just print the cards now).

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Mordian doctrine sucks but the rapid fire targeting characters order is strong.

And doubleshooting russes might make them actually worthwhile to put on the table.

All of this is going to come down to pricing adjustments. A lot of Guard stuff needs an appropriate point increase for any of this to be balanced considering they already dominate without doctrines or stratagems of any sort.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Uroboros posted:

All of this is going to come down to pricing adjustments. A lot of Guard stuff needs an appropriate point increase for any of this to be balanced considering they already dominate without doctrines or stratagems of any sort.

I feel like conscripts and artillery are going to be eating nerfs, at the very least. Hopefully more of the IG range, like tanks, becomes usable to fill the void.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

The Bee posted:

I feel like conscripts and artillery are going to be eating nerfs, at the very least. Hopefully more of the IG range, like tanks, becomes usable to fill the void.

This would be the preferred:
-Plasma and special weapons appropriately priced
-Artillery raised in price and given minimum ranges, Mordian Basilisks and Manticores overwatching on a 4+ would be very broken.
-Conscripts not allowed to either take orders, or received reduced benefits from Commissars.
-Taurox could also use a point raise, their firepower is outrageous for a vehicle that is cheaper than Razorbacks.

Then we will just need chapter approved to un-gently caress the mess that is Forgeworld pricing.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The article specifically says leman russes are getting cheaper

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

!Klams posted:

Oh, ok cool, so it seems like its not off the cards that there would be new doods. Thats really awesome! Yeah, having the rules in the box is how Warmachine does it, but they've actually moved even beyond that now and you can only get the rules for free online, such that it is a living document. (You need either an app to play or cards for all your models, and you can just print the cards now).

There have been whispers from the same sources that predicted the last 12 months of releases that new kits for a Great Unclean One, various Nurgle daemons, Angron and Fulgrim are done. I think they'll press on with new codexes for the forseeable future, with a strong Imperial vs Chaos theme to any new models released; the Nurgle stuff would make a lot of sense alongside a Chaos Daemons codex, for example.

Then GW can start introducing new units with rules in the box & matched play points published online that work alongside existing codexes.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

xtothez posted:

There have been whispers from the same sources that predicted the last 12 months of releases that new kits for a Great Unclean One, various Nurgle daemons, Angron and Fulgrim are done. I think they'll press on with new codexes for the forseeable future, with a strong Imperial vs Chaos theme to any new models released; the Nurgle stuff would make a lot of sense alongside a Chaos Daemons codex, for example.

Then GW can start introducing new units with rules in the box & matched play points published online that work alongside existing codexes.

I imagine we will get the demon primarchs for each chaos God, and then a single corresponding loyalist, or at the very least one to represent each non-generic chapter. I am loathe to predict they will bring the Sanginius back, but considering we have so far received a Primarch for the core Marine chapter, and two legions with their own special ranges it seems to be the route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
It is so difficult for me not to start a Mordian guard army now. I liked their look already and their rules are fantastic. Isn't there a 3rd party that does "Mordian like" lady squads that aren't terrible?

Seriously having difficulties not pulling the trigger on this.