Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFKebDPwC40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sub $1,200 clean pedal platform that isn't a trebly Fender style amp and has a simple setup like volume/gain low/mid/high?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Electro Harmonix Mig-50 seems like it might be up your alley, then. I've seen them in the wild brand new for like 550.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sub $1,200 clean pedal platform that isn't a trebly Fender style amp and has a simple setup like volume/gain low/mid/high?

If you're really only going to be using this as a pedal platform, why not just get a power amp + cabinet? The Duncan PowerStage has all the right knobs, is as loud as you'd ever reasonably need, and leaves you $800 to buy a few cabinets or more pedals. Also has the benefit of not weighing 100lbs and fitting on a pedalboard, and will probably sound good at bedroom volumes too. If you want something a little more like a regular amplifier, Quilter heads have a ton of clean headroom and you could just run into the return of the effects loop. (If you're wedded to tubes ignore all that, but I think Carvin makes a tube poweramp that would work for you, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't have all the knobs you want so you'd need an EQ somewhere in the chain.)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There are so many amazing pre-amp pedals you could combine with a power amp, it's what I do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So many options. Hmm. I've been considering an all pedal setup but honestly I can't get the desire of a head of some sort on a cab out of my brain. I could also run whatever head next to my OR15 and have a snazzy looking stereo setup. Geaaaaarrrr.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
What's some of the regular's take on the JCM 900s, by chance? I mentioned earlier that I wanted to get an 800, and i'm still planning on doing so when I get a new job and my financial situation a little more secure. However, i've had some positive experiences trying out the 900 Dual Reverb before (4100 version) and I came away impressed enough with the one I played that i've thought about the idea of it being an alternative just in case.

I thought i'd ask because that whole amp series seems to have a mixed rep compared to the older Marshalls from what i've encountered.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
The 900s are love em or leave em. If you want a more fizzy knife edge distortion go for it, if you want something that pushes some bass go for the 800. Both are great depending on how you use them. Also 800s are loving incredibly loud, 50 or 100 watts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

This performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-49M3dUWgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clxUqexBxMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJI5yf32Rk

The guitarists' "amplifiers" consist of this preamp (EAE Model feT, a Sunn Model T clone):

Into this power amp:

Your normal compliment of pedals goes before that. Sounds amazing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang that sounds sick

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost:

Apologies for the double-reply, but things have come together and I have progress and pictures to report. Also, gonna cross-post to the Amp thread, so ok?:

I needed to hook a lot of pedals together, and I needed to power them. If you recall, my old power system looked like this:

It worked, but it wasn't very clean or nice.

I bought an MXR M238 ISO-Brick and it powered everything I had, from 2 Fulltone 18V pedals to all my 9V pedals that went from 100mA up to 300mA. No issues there, and the thing was inexpensive. I still have room to add two more pedals (I'm thinking a Wah and an MXR EVH Flanger, but that could change.)

Now the power is just three plugs (that's an EBTECH HUM X on the Blackstar power cable, just in case):

So I bought all this drat raw cabling and jacks, and went to work building them last night:

It took the entire night to complete, but I finally finished. De-braiding the copper jacket is NO loving FUN and it's way too easy to break those tiny wires, poo poo, so yeah, it took all night.
When I finished, even after testing each cable one by one, the new stereo rig was silent, except when I banged on the guitar.

Problem: The old Dunlop Stereo Tremolo/Pan was basically alive but not passing signal, which *really* sucked because that was how I intended to split the guitar signal to the inputs of the two amps!
I took the whole pedal assembly apart, cleaned all the pots, jacks, and assorted moveable parts with component cleaner. I saw no obvious problems. Put it all back together and NOPE. It passed some dirty signal when I whacked on it (not the pedal, but instead the guitar strings; when it passed some dirt, but otherwise is was dead, so I had to go to Plan B.)

So what do I do? I thought I'll just take the tc electronic Corona Chorus out of the effects loops of the amps (ouch, I really wanted it there) and split the signal to the amps from that pedal.
Sounds great, no problem, I just miss my Tremolo/Pan (Dang It Bhabhi, do you have any ideas? The thing looks fine internally and I've cleaned it. Any idea what failed or how to find it? It's quite old.)

So I took out the Dunlop trem/pan and the rig sounds loving amaze-balls. I put the Peavey Classic 20 MH in 5W mode (like the Blackstar HT-5H) and dialed in the EQs and gain structures to sound very similar, but even dry it's got that multi-amp mojo that I love so very much. If I leave them in overdrive channels, they are perfect together.

The caveats/problems as I hear them now:

In clean channel the two amps treat the outboard effects (especially the HoF2 Reverb) very differently. On one amp it's too drat much (like, drenched in 'verb) but on the other it's fine. Yes, I've checked the effects loop level on the Blackstar. (The Peavey doesn't have that switch.)
In overdrive mode the Peavey seems (not totally sure yet) to have a weird high-mid spike (I would guess around 4kHz or maybe 3kHz) that can make me worry if something's not quite right. Let's just say it's not musical and you can notice it. Hopefully I can handle this with tubes or EQ settings.

What *is* musical is how the guitars respond. They're ready to feed back harmonically at low-ish volumes and that's fun as FUN GETS! And, folks, even at 5W these amps together can get LOUD.

I now have both the choice of the Tube Works Tube Driver (Korg) and the Fulltone OCD (v4) in front of the amps, and god drat if the Tube Driver isn't way better than I recalled from years ago when I stopped using it. I should put a new tube in it. I've got the volume and gain up for serious sustain and it doesn't even add much noise. It just owns. One ticket to metal-town, free.
The OCD is still set for just volume boost but no drive (gain/distortion). Neither pedal is adding treble, they are set neutral (12 o'clock-ish on the tone control). The Tube Driver and the OCD actually stack well, but yeah it gets noisy.

The delays sound amazing, the phase 90 sounds good but it's noisy as gently caress-all (especially if I add gain pedals), but the Mini Deja-Vibe sounds fantastic and the chorus is loving stunning. Like, sick to your stomach am I really hearing that gorgeous it's so beautiful and the stereo separation just kills are my ears working correctly?

As mentioned, the only real problem I am having is the Hall of Fame 2 Reverb. One amp has it just right, the other sounds fine in overdrive channel but REALLY over-represents it in the clean channel. So, I'm totally cool with staying in the overdrive channel (where they balance) and just rolling off the volume knobs on my guitars because I get GREAT clean sounds that way... BUT, the amps have such wonderful clean channels I'm going to have to commit to setting the level effect knob on the 'verb and just using one channel when jamming, or let the sound guy handle it if I go back to gigging (my old bands are hounding me to come back, they want to hear this rig.) Recording is obviously not an issue.

I won't promise to post recordings because i am sick and tired of trying to get a great mix at home and then finding out there's NO loving BASS in the version I share online. It's a monitor issue, as I've said over and over.

Anyway, look at that new little power brick!

You sit between these two amps and you will have a religious experience. Bring whatever guitar you have. They can handle it. I just wish the Trem/Stereo Pan pedal was in there like it's supposed to be.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Durandal1707 posted:

What's some of the regular's take on the JCM 900s, by chance? I mentioned earlier that I wanted to get an 800, and i'm still planning on doing so when I get a new job and my financial situation a little more secure. However, i've had some positive experiences trying out the 900 Dual Reverb before (4100 version) and I came away impressed enough with the one I played that i've thought about the idea of it being an alternative just in case.

I thought i'd ask because that whole amp series seems to have a mixed rep compared to the older Marshalls from what i've encountered.

Unless you really want the improved channel switching of the 900 I wouldn't. I would try and find a pre-1985 JCM 800.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Durandal1707 posted:

they're perfectly fine outside the mid-90s ones or whenever marshall's qc took a nosedive. everything else is just thegearpage losers mindlessly repeating what they heard about diode clipping

if you like that sound then that's what you want

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Faustus, I would make an audio probe and try that: http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

They are dead simple to make and use and you'll feel like a genius when you figure out where it's broken.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Faustus, I would make an audio probe and try that: http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

They are dead simple to make and use and you'll feel like a genius when you figure out where it's broken.
Thanks. I'm quite sad to have lost this pedal.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So uh, I got a Yamaha THR10x and I kinda like it better than my Friedman. Obviously the Friedman is louder, but the 'hi fi' nature of the THR10x makes it alot more fun to play 'by myself' and let's be honest that's when 99.9% of my playing is happening.

I'm thinking of selling my pedals and the Runt and I really can't think of a reason that I shouldn't... help?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, is it true what I'm reading about the Yamaha THR10x? It includes Headphones, USB Adapter to practice with your Android / iPhone and Cubase? How the gently caress is this not the practice amp to go instead of the Spider series? :confused:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I don't think anybody in this thread has ever had anything nice to say about Line 6 anything. Microcubes and THR10s have generally been the suggestion for tiny bedroom amps.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, here we're golden. I do see a lot of my local buddies play with Line 6 Spiders, though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Davin Townsend uses Line 6 for most of his non album/live playing so they're not that bad. THRs slay though. I'm glad you're happy with yours Southern Heel! If I was you I'd wait a month or two before shipping off your other gear though. The 10X is amazing for nailing THAT Marshall sound (seriously mine never leaves the second setting unless it's to play clean) but the honeymoon period is always very real.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ That is fair enough. Bear in mind though, all my current amp does is 'THAT MARSHALL SOUND' so???

Wark Say posted:

Wait, is it true what I'm reading about the Yamaha THR10x? It includes Headphones, USB Adapter to practice with your Android / iPhone and Cubase? How the gently caress is this not the practice amp to go instead of the Spider series? :confused:

It's really only got four usable channels: bass (obviously), clean (Fender clean), Brown I (driven Marshall), Brown II (modded Marshall). I think I'm going to sell my Friedmans, I just spent an hour noodling in my livingroom and after about ten seconds it sounds basically identical. I'm not a 'touch of breakup' kind of player so the fact the modelling amps can't do it perfectly is really a moot point. I can't think of a reason to keep the Friedman, especially since it came to literally 10x the price and has about £300 of pedals with it...

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
I thought I was done with amps but over the summer I'd made the mistake of buying a Two-Notes Torpedo Live. Playing my Mesa Subway Blues that I've had for 20 years into it, I couldn't tell the difference between the speaker sim and how it sounds miced up in different rooms.

"Oh hey, this means I could get a 100W head some day and not destroy my ears/get evicted!"

Two months later, I've run into a pair of BUY IT NOW, YOU FOOL! deals on a Splawn Quickrod and a 5150 III 100W. The bad news is that it means I've spent $1500 on amps in the last two weeks. The good news is that for what I like playing, I may never need to buy an amp again.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Waldstein Sonata posted:

...I may never need to buy an amp again.

lol

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

:allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Look he's trying to justify purchases leave him to his own devices

(Any fool knows that you need an amp for every conceivable style)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We should form a Self-Help group: Amp Owners Anonymous.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
I don't need help, I'm still financially in the black.

...for now :shepspends:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've got one of the 'Cyclops' Bandit 112s and want to get a footswitch for it for changing channels. Does anyone know if a single latch switch would do the job or do I need to spring for the proper Peavey one? From what I've read for some reason it doesn't play nice with double switches (of varying brands) with LEDs.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Guitar center or a local music shop should have a generic latching switch for ~$20.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, here we're golden. I do see a lot of my local buddies play with Line 6 Spiders, though.

The Spider V is really good and full of features (although you lose some stuff below the 1x12" combo.)

I had been planning on getting a Spider V 112 but the expense of the full rig (amp + floorboard) is significantly more than the Katana 100 and it's not like I'm going to NOT get the wireless if I got a Spider V. I really like all the features and functionality of the the Spider but the Katana sounds great too, simpler, and cheaper. Still trying to decide...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've got one of the 'Cyclops' Bandit 112s and want to get a footswitch for it for changing channels. Does anyone know if a single latch switch would do the job or do I need to spring for the proper Peavey one? From what I've read for some reason it doesn't play nice with double switches (of varying brands) with LEDs.

Plug in a 1/4" cable and jumper the ends together wit a piece of wire. See if it switches and stays on the channel, or if it just detects the tap and stays on channel one.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

I don't think anybody in this thread has ever had anything nice to say about Line 6 anything.

Helix is pretty great. I don't think there are any Line 6 small amps worth buying though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dave Friedman and Bruce Egnater are chatting live right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqD0HQcbo2Y

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Wark Say posted:

Bought the Yamaha Thr10x for a little practice amp. It was okay at first, and then i plugged it into my computer and downloaded the software. That is the game changer for the amp. I can now make the exact sounds I love to hear from my Jacksons and Les pauls. Dialed in some great Gary Moore, John Sykes, and Hetfield tones.

Great thrash and fat 80’s scooped metal sounds. Really happy overall. It has every option i could ask for in a practice amp. The Line6 spiders just sounds to thin and scratchy for my ears.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay, might be a dirty topic in the Amplifier Worship thread...

But I'm in the process of setting up my Axe-FX patches.

Now since most METHUL amps have shithouse clean channels (or non-existent...) I'd like to pair up the METHUL amp with the Clean Amp it was originally built from...somewhere down the line before it was turned into an over-saturated chuggy monstrosity. That way I can get a good clean tone, without it sounding like I've just completely switched to a different amp.

In other words, oddly enough, going from a Bogner Uberschall to a Fender Twin for cleans doesn't "feel" right. So it's a bad combination even if each individual tone is half decent.

I know Mesas are basically hot-rodded Fenders. Uberschalls are basically Marshalls taken into absurdity. Does anybody know the "origin" of these other amps?*

Mesa Mark Series = Fenders
Bogner Uberschall = Marshall
Mesa Rectifiers = ?
5150s (of any variation) = ?
ENGL Savage = ?
Diezel Herbert = ?

Kindly note that I rip off Metallica way too much as is to be able to switch to a JC-120 for cleans without immediately making it eye-rollingly obvious who I'm stealing riffs from.

*Yes, I know that I'm oversimplifying the "origin" of these amps, but the clean version of these amps would likely create an appropriate clean "channel" for me to switch to.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Wikipedia claims that the 5150 is based on the Soldano SLO-100 which is in turn based on the Mesa Mark II. I'll let you decide how truthful any of that is.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

Wikipedia claims that the 5150 is based on the Soldano SLO-100 which is in turn based on the Mesa Mark II. I'll let you decide how truthful any of that is.

That's...unexpected. I always kinda expected the 5150s to be Marshall based 'cos of Eddie. I wouldn't have thought any Mesa would be in its DNA

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
there's some factory tour video on youtube where randall smith says the rectifier is based on one of the mark iv channels

the 5150 is based on the rockmaster preamp which itself came from the vtm/ultra which was sorta peavey's answer to a modded jcm800, which being a james brown design had to have dip switches in there somewhere. dude loves his dip switches

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Mark series started with modified Bassman circuits and apocryphally so did Marshall amps. Bassman started in 1952 and Marshall was officially established in 1960 so I rate that as at least possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

EVH used soldanos for a while and I’ve heard the 5150= ripoff soldano thing before.

That said, I don’t think it’s universal that all hi gain amps have bad clean channels, the mark series cleans are decent.

Also, the fender twin is held up as the best clean ever but it has a particular twangy pokey quality to the kids that I don’t like. The fender deluxe sound is sparklier and closer to my ideal clean as well as providing the basis for a shitload of the amps that decended from it.

If you want your tones to sound consistent from amp to amp I’d just keep the same cab sim.