Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

First always left, now always loot... wonder what would complete the 3 core teachings of Lone Wolf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kanthulhu posted:

There might be lootice-snakes beneath all those bones.

Search

anakha posted:

First always left, now always loot... wonder what would complete the 3 core teachings of Lone Wolf?

You always wish to use the bow.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Search them bones!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ulmont posted:

You always wish to use the bow.
I like it.
    The teachings of Kai:
  1. Always go left.
  2. Use your Kai Discipline of Looting.
  3. You have a bow and wish to use it.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Search
9 out of 10, someting useful appears.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Always be looting.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
loot

Teachings of Kai #4- dirtiness is good. Always be covering yourself in blood, road dust, Baknar oil, etc. I can't recall Lone Wolf ever taking a bath.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

achtungnight posted:

I can't recall Lone Wolf ever taking a bath.

It happens several times in the series.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, then, he's probably cleaning himself just so he can get dirtier again later. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Well, then, he's probably cleaning himself just so he can get dirtier again later. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Possibly true. I did a quick check and it's called out twice in the Kai series, but admittedly Lone Wolf spends most of the books running for his life.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

achtungnight posted:

loot

Teachings of Kai #4- dirtiness is good. Always be covering yourself in blood, road dust, Baknar oil, etc. I can't recall Lone Wolf ever taking a bath.

Well if we hadn't lost that soap maybe we would have :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Caverns of Kalte posted:

You discover that many of the bones scattered among the stalagmites are of human origin. Shattered skulls, skeletal hands, and rib cages lie half buried in the ice. You are about to abandon your search when a small box made of carved bone catches your eye.
This is supposed to be a vote, but given how the last one went I think it's safe to assume what the answer would have been.

The bone box contains a beautiful Diamond. Its many facets gleam and sparkle, even in the dim half-light of the ice hall. In Sommerlund, a jewel of this size and quality would be worth thousands of crowns. If you wish to keep the Diamond, slip it into your pocket and mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item.

As you climb the slippery stone ramp, the sound of cracking ice makes you spin round. The large mound of crystals at the base of the ramp is beginning to move. The crystals are alive! You stare in disbelief as the mound is transformed into a writhing mass of crystal coils. The coils unwind, and the ice creature slithers towards you.
First question: Do we keep the diamond or leave it?
Second question: Stand and fight or run for the door?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tiggum posted:

First question: Do we keep the diamond or leave it?
Second question: Stand and fight or run for the door?

The limits on Special Items don't kick in until the Magnakai series, right? Keep it.

Also run like hell because we're trapped in a nightmare ice fortress.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ulmont posted:

The limits on Special Items don't kick in until the Magnakai series, right?
Grand Master, actually. So right through book 12 we can carry as many Special Items as we like, then there's a list of ten specific items you can carry forward to book 13 and from then on you're limited to twelve Special Items at a time. The original idea, I think, was to leave it to the player to decide what was reasonable to carry (like, you can't wear two helmets at the same time, obviously), but then that ended up with players just keeping literally every random thing they picked up forever.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Keep it and Fight that snake!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Loot and fight.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Keep & Fight!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Keep & Fight! I think Conan did that in one of his movies.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Grand Master, actually. So right through book 12 we can carry as many Special Items as we like

I just went and looked it up. In Book 8, Jungle of Horrors, and all following books, we will be limited to 12 Special Items.

From Book 12 to Book 13 we will be limited to carrying forward only certain Special Items in addition.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

ulmont posted:

From Book 12 to Book 13 we will be limited to carrying forward only certain Special Items in addition.

Interested to see if Project Aon updated that transition. Some of those items had absolutely no use after their introduction so it was a bit of a head scratcher about what made them special and worth keeping around. Though to be fair, plenty had stat bonuses that justified their continuation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ulmont posted:

I just went and looked it up. In Book 8, Jungle of Horrors, and all following books, we will be limited to 12 Special Items.

Huh. You are correct. I don't know that I've ever noticed that limitation before, because who reads the game rules that thoroughly by the third book of the (Magnakai) series? Oh well, we'll have to bear that in mind when the time comes.

Avalerion posted:

Loot and fight.
Running would only have delayed the fight anyway.

This strange creature is a Crystal Frostwyrm, a scavenging beast now living on the remains of the unfortunate creatures that have entered the cavern. Its hard skin is almost transparent, and its internal organs can be seen pulsating inside. A large mouth opens in the crystalline head to reveal row upon row of jagged crystal teeth. Your back is pressed to the stone door and there is no way to evade the monster. You must fight the creature to the death. It is immune to Mindblast.

Crystal Frostwyrm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 30

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 30
Crystal Frostwyrm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 29
Crystal Frostwyrm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 27
Crystal Frostwyrm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 2

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 27 ENDURANCE 26
Crystal Frostwyrm: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 0

You watch with a mixture of fascination and revulsion as each segment of the creature shatters and then slowly dissolves into the ice. Soon, all that remains of the Crystal Frostwyrm are the undigested contents of its stomach. To your surprise, in the centre of this mess of fetid flesh and bone, you can see the shank of an Ornate Silver Key.

Healing: +1 EP (27/30).
Well, I think I know what the answer's going to be, but should we take the key or leave it?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Take the key and consume it so that when we are eventually defeated, our vanquisher gets to experience what we just did.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tiggum posted:

we take the key

Tiggum posted:

Huh. You are correct. I don't know that I've ever noticed that limitation before, because who reads the game rules that thoroughly by the third book of the (Magnakai) series? Oh well, we'll have to bear that in mind when the time comes.

The first Lone Wolf book I ever had was Book 7 (Castle Death), so I found the new rule a bit jarring.

Ratatozsk posted:

Interested to see if Project Aon updated that transition.

They didn't. https://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/GrandMaster

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Some of those items had absolutely no use after their introduction so it was a bit of a head scratcher about what made them special and worth keeping around. Though to be fair, plenty had stat bonuses that justified their continuation.
I'm pretty sure they all give specific bonuses or get mentioned in the text of later books (or both). Also, looking at the Project Aon pages on Magnakai and Grand Master rules I'm just now learning for the first time that you're supposed to be able to keep using your existing Kai Disciplines instead of starting from scratch at the beginning of each series. I thought you had to pick Curing to continue to get the "recover 1 EP per section" ability, but no, you can just keep using Healing - even into the Grand Master series. Same with Mindblast and Weaponskill bonuses and using Hunting to replace meals. :stare:

ulmont posted:

The first Lone Wolf book I ever had was Book 7 (Castle Death).
Same. It's still my favourite. :allears:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tiggum posted:

looking at the Project Aon pages on Magnakai and Grand Master rules I'm just now learning for the first time that you're supposed to be able to keep using your existing Kai Disciplines instead of starting from scratch at the beginning of each series.

This is bullshit Dever tossed out as a sop to his loyal newsletter readers; I never liked it.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
If a monster dies and drops something that we can pick up, we are picking it up.

It matters not that it's a key, what matters is that it's loot.

LOOT

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Loot.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take the key.

Not a good idea to make 'always loot' rules. I had one for a D&D character once. Next thing I knew he was grabbing poison, cursed items, and even live grenades before I could protest. This series features similar items.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Key is coated with a corrosive digestive acid that burns through your mittens and attacks your fingers. Lose 1 ENDURANCE point. You drop the Key and plunge your hand into the snow to ease the pain. If you still wish to keep the key, you can wipe it in the snow before placing it in your pocket, but remember to mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item. You must now search for a way of opening the fortress door.

The fortress door is completely smooth; it has no visible lock, hinge, or keyhole. However, turning your attention to the granite wall you notice that one of the massive blocks is different to all the others. A small triangle has been cut into its surface.

You search every square inch of the door and surrounding wall, but there appear to be no unusual features. You are examining the stone ramp when a loud roar freezes your blood. A Kalkoth has entered the ice hall. You turn to see the creature bounding towards you—its jaws are wide open, revealing its barbed tongue. You cannot evade the Kalkoth and you must fight it to the death.

Kalkoth: COMBAT SKILL 10 ENDURANCE 28

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 27
Kalkoth: COMBAT SKILL 10 ENDURANCE 28
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 25
Kalkoth: COMBAT SKILL 10 ENDURANCE 17

The barb of a Kalkoth’s tongue holds a powerful venom, with which it paralyses its victims before devouring them. The venom takes only a few seconds to act. Stung by the barb, you quickly fade into unconsciousness. It is a sleep from which there will be no awakening.

Your life and your mission end here.

Death Count: 2

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 19, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I mean, that's what would have happened had we been foolish enough not to take that Blue Stone Triangle we found earlier, right?

The Key is coated with a corrosive digestive acid that burns through your mittens and attacks your fingers. Lose 1 ENDURANCE point. You drop the Key and plunge your hand into the snow to ease the pain. If you still wish to keep the key, you can wipe it in the snow before placing it in your pocket, but remember to mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item. You must now search for a way of opening the fortress door.

The fortress door is completely smooth; it has no visible lock, hinge, or keyhole. However, turning your attention to the granite wall you notice that one of the massive blocks is different to all the others. A small triangle has been cut into its surface.

Removing the Blue Stone Triangle from around your neck, you press it into the granite wall. It is a perfect fit. You immediately feel a tremor running through the ledge on which you are standing, followed by the grinding noise of stone upon stone. The door opens, but after it has opened less than three feet, it begins to close.

Without a moment’s hesitation, you dive into the fortress and the door crashes shut behind you.

Healing: +1 EP (28/30).

The corridor in which you now stand is far warmer than the icy cavern outside. For the first time in many days, you can lower the hood of your cloak and remove your mittens without risking frostbite.

You notice that the stone passage ascends to a landing where another passage branches off to the east. M’lare bowls hang at regular intervals along the arched ceiling, their unnatural light illuminating the carved walls.

As you approach the landing, you notice an archway leading into a small room beyond. A strange sight meets your eyes. Ragged furs, pottery shards, and the debris of hundreds of years seem to have been thrown into this chamber. A large lever protrudes from the wall beside the archway.

Healing: +1 EP (29/30).
Shall we loot the room, pull the lever or ignore both and keep moving?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

In deference to the teachings of Kai, always be looting.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Loot the room, then if possible pull the lever!

Hopefully it's not the Walker Texas Ranger lever, and pulling it means we have to fight Chuck Norris.

Next poster- Not sure if you're referring to me, but no, Castle Death is not my favorite LW book. You'll see why when we get there. My favorite LW book's #12- you'll see why when we get there too.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 28, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You like Castle Death the most? I'm kinda the opposite, that's probalby the first book where Dever was like "okay, enough of this Sommerswerd bullshit, all combat is going to be hard and there will be a ton of instant death traps" i do like the setting at least though, a classic dungeon crawling adventure.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

If I had to pick a single favorite, it would probably be #5, though #16 will always hold a special place (american version misnumbering be damned).

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

Tiggum posted:

I mean, that's what would have happened had we been foolish enough not to take that Blue Stone Triangle we found earlier, right?

Note to self: ignore my instincts, always be looting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You like Castle Death the most? I'm kinda the opposite, that's probalby the first book where Dever was like "okay, enough of this Sommerswerd bullshit, all combat is going to be hard and there will be a ton of instant death traps" i do like the setting at least though, a classic dungeon crawling adventure.
It's the monsters. I'll probably actually do a full post after we finish it on all the fights we missed because there is not one single dud in the lot. They're all these awesome, creative monsters that just get thrown at you and you never know what weird thing is going to show up next. But I've probably said enough about it for now since we're not even half way there yet.

Ratatozsk posted:

(american version misnumbering be damned).
I knew about some of the books being shortened to save money, but I didn't know they changed the order of any of them. What happened and what was the reason for it?

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

Note to self: ignore my instincts, always be looting.
Oh, there are definitely items that will kill you if you pick them up. In this book even.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I knew about some of the books being shortened to save money, but I didn't know they changed the order of any of them. What happened and what was the reason for it?

Pages were cut, and as a result page numbers were changed. There was a puzzle whose answer directed you to a page number to continue the plot, and that was not changed to account for the repagination (if that is a word.)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Loot first, pull second (if we can).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Pages were cut, and as a result page numbers were changed. There was a puzzle whose answer directed you to a page number to continue the plot, and that was not changed to account for the repagination (if that is a word.)
Oh right. I thought you were saying some of the books were published out of sequence in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anakha posted:

In deference to the teachings of Kai, always be looting.

Not emptyquoting.

Ratatozsk posted:

If I had to pick a single favorite, it would probably be #5, though #16 will always hold a special place (american version misnumbering be damned).

I barely remember the Grand Master series, due to the American version edits mostly. Shadow on the Sand is great though, you're right.