Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Quarterly evaluation the week after being put on a PIP tomorrow. Today my meeting with my manager was cut short by my wife calling having a screaming and crying breakdown. The only reason I think I might not be getting fired is that I didn't get walked out today. Evaluation is at 1, I'm going to get my stuff out of the door ahead of time so I don't have to do the walk of shame.

Nauseated, and that's probably not going away until after 1 tomorrow.

Why the hell did you take a personal call during a meeting with your manager if you have both an evaluation and a PIP looming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

spog posted:

Why the hell did you take a personal call during a meeting with your manager if you have both an evaluation and a PIP looming?

I'd say wife having a breakdown probably means there's more going on. Just a thought. :shrug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I declined the first call with one of the iPhone canned "call you back" responses. She called again immediately, which generally means there's an emergency.

We both know my wife has problems and I sometimes need to drop everything and help, but this was the worst possible timing.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Super Slash posted:

Well that certainly thrown me a loop a Surface Pro suddenly had its Ethernet connection stop working, the result being a windows update had changed the MAC address so it lost/broke its IP reservation (environment here is super locked down).

Thanks MS.

Other than MAC addressing being a lazy clusterfuck because eh what are the odds two devices accidentally have the same number on the same LAN why would someone program an update to change the MAC??

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

She called again immediately, which generally means there's an emergency.

If that's truly the case, your employer should understand it's a family emergency and you must depart. That stuff does happen and generally is not a fire-able offence (if they try, you can do better at another employer). However, I agree the timing does suck.

I've seen people on PIPs/similar get migraines and take time off, and still be just fine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My concern is that I'm completely unqualified to get a job like this again if I get fired. I was supposed to be using SQL by now, but crap has happened and so instead I have spent the past six months working in Excel. This is the third job that was supposed to include SQL but hasn't, and almost every job like this wants SQL.

I'd probably be back to desktop support, and hate it even more since I had a taste of a job I enjoyed.

I shouldn't worry about this sort of thing until it happens, but I'm an anxious person.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm unqualified for all sorts of things and people keep giving me jobs!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe you should run for president then.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

One must remember how many really ignorant/dumb people are in IT. Being average at it is not a bad position to be in.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Dick Trauma posted:

Same here. It's not always what you can do right now but what you can convince you can later

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

iospace posted:

Maybe you should run for president then.

He's not that unqualified. Also hasn't he suffered enough?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Ditto

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My concern is that I'm completely unqualified to get a job like this again if I get fired. I was supposed to be using SQL by now, but crap has happened and so instead I have spent the past six months working in Excel. This is the third job that was supposed to include SQL but hasn't, and almost every job like this wants SQL.

I don't know if it was this thread, but I had to show my cubemate how to get Visual Studio Code so that he'd stop writing scripts in Word.

This industry is 80% clueless and if you think you're part of that 80%, you're either wrong or on your way into the 20%.

You might have limited time at your current job, but you have time to get working on those skills and have something for the next job.

Don't sweat it, you'll be ok.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know if it was this thread, but I had to show my cubemate how to get Visual Studio Code so that he'd stop writing scripts in Word.

This industry is 80% clueless and if you think you're part of that 80%, you're either wrong or on your way into the 20%.

You might have limited time at your current job, but you have time to get working on those skills and have something for the next job.

I'll add that, since I started, this forum has been a HUGE help in learning. The more I read, I get closer to the 20% who aren't flinging slime at the wall to see what sticks.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Agreed. Whomever hires you may say and even think they want SQL experience, but what they really want is someone capable of learning SQL. Someone who's learning and understands that they are learning is less likely to make a critical mistake without having a backup, or rush haphazardly into unknown territory without sitting down to research the issue.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm going to expand on this and say: 90% of the people that think they are in the 20% are wrong.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

I'm going to expand on this and say: 90% of the people that think they are in the 20% are wrong.

Every time imposter syndrome starts creeping in I just think back to this article about programmers not being able to program.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Tony or the dreaded CE got hired somehow. Bullshit your way in the door like them but actually follow it up with real effort and learning and you're in the top 10%.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Straw poll, only comment if the answer is Agree or Strongly Agree:

I could perform my job without the assistance of search engines like Google and online resources like Stack Overflow/Serverfault

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I couldn't do my job without all of you, confirmed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Every time imposter syndrome starts creeping in I just think back to this article about programmers not being able to program.

Holy poo poo, for real? I did enough programing in college but was way more in a hardware course. I can do all the things they mention there still off the top of my head. Ok I'd have to think about it cause it's been years but I feel I can answer all that.

I've written a few actual programs since college either for MMO poo poo or when I get a wild hair at work to fix some minor thing like hey lets find a way to extract from Outlook contacts & emails to import to Jabber since for some bizarre reason this doesn't exist. It even had buttons and options! I honestly figured I was scrub tier and really I am but I shouldn't be in the top whatever percentile according to that post.

I say that and then while telling my GF about this explained how recursion worked off the top of my head over a decade out of college. Even gave an example. There are people with actual comp sci degrees who can't do this I'm...holy poo poo.

Same GF who fell into being a computer janitor and when I mentioned F in hex she who hates math least understood F was the highest cause of messing with colors. People with masters can't answer that?

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 26, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I could perform my job without the assistance of search engines like Google and online resources like Stack Overflow/Serverfault

Yes, because we have a pretty well done internal KB system. I could probably spend a month or two without needing even the KB system, since most of the time the fixes are simple enough.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Got this email from our Verizon rep:

quote:

We have amazing trade in deals right now if you trade in existing phones. You could trade in your 6’s for $200 and get the 8 for $49 or free if you trade in the 6S which is worth $300.

Guess we're all upgrading to 8's for free. Sounds good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

gently caress no.

Also: I have trouble reading and following instructions.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
You could be one of the people in my CCNA CyberOps course who don't understand the literal point of QoS and can't be bothered to look up what it is.

quote:

Regarding sec 2.10 text "The appropriate egress queue is determined by QoS, and more important packets are processed first", what determines packet importance?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I would, but I wouldn't be very good at it. I definitely would not have been able to get to the place I am today without Google and online resources like Stack Overflow/Serverfault.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pr0digal posted:

You could be one of the people in my CCNA CyberOps course who don't understand the literal point of QoS and can't be bothered to look up what it is.

You think SECURITY people google stuff? That's for plebs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you give packets different priorities then you're telling an attacker what's important on your network :smuggo:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Bruh, notepad++ or sublime even if its nothing that needs compiled. Switch to twilight color scheme

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ignoring the fact that the idea of this is completely absurd...
When I asked a company for their deployment resource requirements and application install/move documentation they literally responded with "google company name + application name install guide"

gee thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not ashamed to say that most of my job involves seeing problems and then figuring out what to type into Google to get onto the correct path to resolving it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not ashamed to say that most of my job involves seeing problems and then figuring out what to type into Google to get onto the correct path to resolving it.

not an empty quote

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Apparently if a CMOS battery dies in a laptop, the user can no longer login to the domain. Cool! :argh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Apparently if a CMOS battery dies in a laptop, the user can no longer login to the domain. Cool! :argh:
What.

If it's because the clock's off, you can boot into the BIOS and change the time, then boot into Windows.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thanks Ants posted:

So on this subject.

Testing windows 10 for deployment in our enterprise environment, want to remove a bunch of the bloat that comes by default in Windows 10. Candy crush, minecraft, loving zune, et cetera.

What I've come up with are a bunch of different solutions, whether it's creating a task schedule in SCCM to run once when any user accounts (admin or domain) are signed into for the first time to simply putting a .ps1 on the desktop that will automate everything.

My question now though, is I have a powershell script that looks something like this:

code:
Mount-WindowsImage -Path C:\Mount -ImagePath c:\install\install.wim -Index 1
Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Path C:\Mount -PackageName *Microsoft.XboxApp*
Dismount-WindowsImage -Path C:\Mount -Save
Where C:\Mount is an empty folder, imagepath is the path to the .wim, and the package that's being removed is whatever package I want, really.

Anyways, my question isn't really about the script. My question is - if you remove the built in apps from the .wim, if you create a new account (local/domain - not a mobile account), will all that bloatware install anyways?

I would assume not, but who the heck knows with Windows 10 and I only have one seed unit that I'd rather not flatten and reimage unless and until it becomes necessary.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I could, but only because I wrote a significant portion of the top results for problems that I encounter in my field. You can't google for VSS problems without running across my work.

If I'm googling, it's because it's weird as gently caress, and the googling is a hail mary play.

For anything else, I literally wrote the goddamned book on it.

Edit: my favorite is when I find a result I don't recognize, just to realize it's some company's forum (or even official KB) and it's someone plagiarizing my work.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ConfusedUs posted:

I could, but only because I wrote a significant portion of the top results for problems that I encounter in my field. You can't google for VSS problems without running across my work.

If I'm googling, it's because it's weird as gently caress, and the googling is a hail mary play.

For anything else, I literally wrote the goddamned book on it.

Edit: my favorite is when I find a result I don't recognize, just to realize it's some company's forum (or even official KB) and it's someone plagiarizing my work.

Please, tell us of your magical funtimes dealing with third party VSS providers, and the wonderful things they do juuuust differently enough to break poo poo.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Testing windows 10 for deployment in our enterprise environment, want to remove a bunch of the bloat that comes by default in Windows 10. Candy crush, minecraft, loving zune, et cetera.

Isn't there a Windows 10: No Bullshit edition? Does the Enterprise SKU get all that crap installed too, or is that only LTSB?

Microsoft has really jumped the shark.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was remoted into somebody's laptop today and noticed that their msn.com email account, which is set up in Outlook, is using a .ost data file.

Does that mean she might have some sort of online archiving option from MSN to put her .pst files of older email into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was mildly encouraged when Microsoft went back from the ridiculous SKU count that was Vista, then I found out Windows 10 is going to have a Workstation edition and :suicide:

^^ .OST files are a local mailbox cache, not relating to archiving.

• Locked thread