Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Luke is stronger and has invulnerable skin, Jessica is still crazy strong but can't shrug off rounds like Luke.

sassassin posted:

Throws and punches are martial arts.

No they aren't. Do you get more sexual pleasure from continuously being some kind of idiot pedant or from continuously being wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

letthereberock posted:

The Shadow is such a weird movie, I'm always surprised almost no one remembers it.

It has a really dark scene where the villain mentally commands an innocent security guard to shoot himself in the head, and also contains a scene where the hero and villain playfully discuss ties.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I mean, which is why I feel like it may well have been less of a straightforward superhero movie and probably closer to the pulp novels (i.e. more violent) at some point in its development. The villain is Shiwan Khan, who was one of the Shadow's main enemies in the pulps. He was, of course, a yellow peril caricature. His gimmick was that he was the last direct descendent of Genghis Khan and wanted to realise Genghis Khan's dream of world domination.

In the movie, he arrives in America in a sarcophagus with Latin (!) inscriptions on it, for some reason. I feel like the implication was supposed to be that he's been sealed away for a long time and he's only just being released, but if I recall correctly he seems to smash out of it from the inside, he has a large organisation ready to roll, and he knows who Lamont Cranston is and his past as an opium warlord in China in the 1920s etc. So presumably, he was in the sarcophagus so he could be smuggled into America. But I'm not sure why he'd do that, because he's walking about in public and buying suits at Brooks Brothers elsewhere in the movie, so he doesn't seem to be worried about the authorities catching him or knowing he's about in the country.

I feel like trying to copycat Batman '89 and make millions off tie-in toys was like the "we're going to have our own Avengers'style shared cinematic universe!" of the 90s.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I mean, which is why I feel like it may well have been less of a straightforward superhero movie and probably closer to the pulp novels (i.e. more violent) at some point in its development. The villain is Shiwan Khan, who was one of the Shadow's main enemies in the pulps. He was, of course, a yellow peril caricature. His gimmick was that he was the last direct descendent of Genghis Khan and wanted to realise Genghis Khan's dream of world domination.

In the movie, he arrives in America in a sarcophagus with Latin (!) inscriptions on it, for some reason. I feel like the implication was supposed to be that he's been sealed away for a long time and he's only just being released, but if I recall correctly he seems to smash out of it from the inside, he has a large organisation ready to roll, and he knows who Lamont Cranston is and his past as an opium warlord in China in the 1920s etc. So presumably, he was in the sarcophagus so he could be smuggled into America. But I'm not sure why he'd do that, because he's walking about in public and buying suits at Brooks Brothers elsewhere in the movie, so he doesn't seem to be worried about the authorities catching him or knowing he's about in the country.

I feel like trying to copycat Batman '89 and make millions off tie-in toys was like the "we're going to have our own Avengers'style shared cinematic universe!" of the 90s.

Better or worse than Billy Zane's The Phantom? I honestly like both of them, not as great movies, but as really embracing the pulp.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

No they aren't. Do you get more sexual pleasure from continuously being some kind of idiot pedant or from continuously being wrong?

Boxing is a martial art. Judo is a martial art. Punching and throwing people properly (effectively and without hurting yourself) are learned skills.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

sassassin posted:

Boxing is a martial art. Judo is a martial art. Punching and throwing people properly (effectively and without hurting yourself) are learned skills.

Jessica is not so good at avoiding the "hurting yourself" part to be honest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aleph Null posted:

Better or worse than Billy Zane's The Phantom? I honestly like both of them, not as great movies, but as really embracing the pulp.

I feel like The Phantom is a better pulp movie. It does a better job of feeling like a period piece and I think it looks a whole lot better. It was written by Jeffrey Boam, who previously wrote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Unfortunately, its two biggest problems for me are:

a) it doesn't have great action scenes, which is a real shame for what's meant to be a big action blockbuster. For instance, there's one bit where Kristy Swanson is on a seaplane that's forced down by a crew of sky pirates led by Catherine Zeta-Jones; it begins with her looking out the window and realising they're being followed by pirates, then it cuts to Billy Zane doing something, then it cuts back to the seaplane having been forced down off-screen and the passengers being unloaded at gunpoint.

b) there's way too many bad guys. Treat Williams plays the main villain, Xander Drax, who's a sort Gene Hackman Lex Luthor type who's after some crystal skulls. James Remar plays his main henchman, and he's the one who killed the Phantom's father (despite being a undistinguished generic heavy). He's also a member of the Singh Brotherhood, a group of pirates who I believe are big Phantom villains in the comic strip, who are introduced and disposed of perfunctorily in the lats 15 minutes of the movie.

You'd be better off watching The Rocketeer or Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy than either of them, tbh.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like The Phantom is a better pulp movie. It does a better job of feeling like a period piece and I think it looks a whole lot better. It was written by Jeffrey Boam, who previously wrote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Unfortunately, its two biggest problems for me are:

a) it doesn't have great action scenes, which is a real shame for what's meant to be a big action blockbuster. For instance, there's one bit where Kristy Swanson is on a seaplane that's forced down by a crew of sky pirates led by Catherine Zeta-Jones; it begins with her looking out the window and realising they're being followed by pirates, then it cuts to Billy Zane doing something, then it cuts back to the seaplane having been forced down off-screen and the passengers being unloaded at gunpoint.

b) there's way too many bad guys. Treat Williams plays the main villain, Xander Drax, who's a sort Gene Hackman Lex Luthor type who's after some crystal skulls. James Remar plays his main henchman, and he's the one who killed the Phantom's father (despite being a undistinguished generic heavy). He's also a member of the Singh Brotherhood, a group of pirates who I believe are big Phantom villains in the comic strip, who are introduced and disposed of perfunctorily in the lats 15 minutes of the movie.

You'd be better off watching The Rocketeer or Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy than either of them, tbh.

Dick Tracy. I loved that one, too, bought the soundtrack.
I am ashamed to say I have never seen The Rocketeer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sassassin posted:

Yes, specific forms of punching and throwing can be martial arts, but that's not what's being discussed here, you useless trash person. I'll buy you an avatar if you can point to a single post of yours in the last year that has been funny or informative or really anything other than the unending string of barely-tangential drek that you puke up over the forums on the reg.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aleph Null posted:

Absolutely check it out. It's great. It's got Billy Campbell donning a jetpack designed by Howard Hughes (Terry O'Quinn) to fight Nazi fifth columnists in Hollywood in 1938.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The late 80s-early 90s, despite the comic book boom, never really generated a lot of big comic book movies based on more modern, mainstream superheroes. There was some sort of reason everything in that era seemed to be going towards nostalgic comic strip and pulp characters, or those that evoked such things. You had Brenda Starr, the stylistic Batman movie, Shadow, Dick Tracy, Phantom, Rocketeer. I might even be willing to go a bit further with Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a sort of nostalgic as films set in or inspired by an era.

Other than Ninja Turtles and Punisher (the latter of which I'm not even sure got a theatrical release), we had just low-budget fare of stuff that went straight to video or was never intended for release, anyway, like the FF movie, the Captain America Movie (which also has some part of it set in the 40s), etc. We heard a lot of talk, but very little movement, on many of the popular comics at the time though. Rumors of Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Superman, etc. all getting films during and set the 90s was bandied about a lot, but nothing ever came of it.

However, stuff like The Mask, The Crow, Tank Girl, Barb Wire, MIB, etc. all seemed to get made. Maybe due in part to their relatively unknown status that they weren't viewed as 'comic book movies' and could be sold as just genre films.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dick Tracy was more or less Batman '89 crossed with Roger Rabbit.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Aleph Null posted:

The best part about the Rocketeer is how the gangster bad guy still joins forces with the good guys because gently caress nazis

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Another strange movie.

You'd think a straight adaptation of the Brenda Starr comic strips where she's an ace reporter and globe-trotting adventurer would've been perfectly good by itself, but for some reason (probably because Roger Rabbit had been a big movie the year before) they decided it would be about a guy who draws the Brenda Starr comics and has to write himself into them when Brenda comes to life and becomes annoyed that she's underappreciated. :shrug:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Armacham posted:

The best part about the Rocketeer is how the gangster bad guy still joins forces with the good guys because gently caress nazis

He's just protecting his business partners - you don't want Mickey Cohen getting carted off by the Nazis when he probably owes you a lot of money.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dick Tracy is so dang good. I watched it again recently and I'd forgotten how much music was in it. If anyone hasn't seen it, do: the performances are a ton of fun and every frame is gorgeous.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
PYF comic book adaptation minutiae

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pacino is the best thing in the movie (though I'm not sure if he deserved the Best Supporting Actor nomination or not). The movie definitely deserved the Best Make-Up award it got, though.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
Since somebody brought up The Shadow...

Why in the world when you need a prop to play a substantial role in the movie would you pick a prop that was already used in a prominent role in another movie? The exact knife (phurba) from The Golden Child (ya know "I-I-I-I want the Knife") shows up prominently in The Shadow. I mean the knives are a real thing that exist but there are several different examples, why would you use the same one?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aleph Null posted:

I haven't seen Defenders yet. Who is stronger, Luke Cage or Jessica Jones? AKA Jessica Jones made her seem stronger but Luke was still pretty drat super humanly strong.

Pulling up the official Marvel stats: Jessica's full strength has never been tested, but as she can throw cars around without effort she is probably capable of lifting a minimum of 2-5 tons. She's also highly resistant to physical impact but can be cut superficially even by regular humans if the blow is hard enough, and she isn't bulletproof. Luke Cage started out lifting about 5 tons but increased that greatly through training and experience; he peaks at about 50 tons. He's completely impervious to bullets and any naturally forged weapon, although he can be cut with an overpowered laser, and will not suffer serious damage from up to 150lbs of TNT blowing up in his face or a one ton rock landing on him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
J Jone's superpower, as far as I can tell, is "throwing people". Or things. She's Throw Woman.

I didn't mean to start a derail, it just irrationally irritated me that so far I don't have a grasp on her skill set or how she acquired it, which was in response to someone posting "no more origin stories".

I think JJ might have benefited from an origin of sorts. It helped the villain character IMO. DD handled origins pretty well I felt. I mean, yeah, I guess we don't need origins for Batman, Superman and Spiderman but the approach seemed to work for Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Thor and other lesser known characters.

food court bailiff posted:

Being really mad at sassassin

You might want to settle down. Did sassassin date rape your sister or something?

you could just use the ignore button

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My IMM is:
Any scene where a workplace boss flippantly tells the protagonist their coffee order.
It is always ways too fast and way too complicated.

I get what they are trying to show but I've never had a boss behave that way.

A realistic depiction is the boss ordering a latte and screaming at someone because they didn't bring them a mocha.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
JJ doesn't even seem to have crazy drinking powers like Wolverine or Thor. She should at least have maxed out that ability by now.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

J Jone's superpower, as far as I can tell, is "throwing people". Or things. She's Throw Woman.

I didn't mean to start a derail, it just irrationally irritated me that so far I don't have a grasp on her skill set or how she acquired it, which was in response to someone posting "no more origin stories".

Not sure if I think she needed an origin story, but I do agree with this. Its kind of annoying that her strength level seems so variable in the shows. She can lift the back of a SUV with little effort and is shown as being as strong or stronger than Cage in the apartment wrecking make out scene but also gets overpowered by a few dudes jumping on her at once when she should be punching holes through people. It seems really inconsistent.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

pr0zac posted:

Not sure if I think she needed an origin story, but I do agree with this. Its kind of annoying that her strength level seems so variable in the shows. She can lift the back of a SUV with little effort and is shown as being as strong or stronger than Cage in the apartment wrecking make out scene but also gets overpowered by a few dudes jumping on her at once when she should be punching holes through people. It seems really inconsistent.

Didn't she also leap through the air ala Hulk in her season? I would like to see more of that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Her powers are super strength and jumping really high

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure I totally agree. Depends on the hero I think. I'm watching Jessica Jones and am a little annoyed at how little I know about how she got her powers
What would that add to the story though? How she got her powers has no bearing on what she's currently doing.

sinburger posted:

You say this, but then head over to reddit where people are posting dumbass theories about how uncle Ben was never shot by a mugger, he was collateral damage when aliens attacked the city way before Peter got his powers.

So yea, the most significant formative event that makes Spider-Man who he is (aside from his powers) apparently goes up for debate if you don't explicitly execute an old man on screen.
Most of the time it doesn't even matter though, because it generally doesn't matter why Spider-Man is fighting crime, just that he is. Like, we don't need to know why the characters in cop shows decided to join the police, just that they are now police officers so catching criminals is what they do.

Grendels Dad posted:

I liked how Jessica Jones' powers didn't manifest themselves via martial arts. I don't think she threw even a single kick, all she ever did was throw or punch people.
Yeah, it really never makes sense that characters with super strength would know how to fight well, because why would they ever have needed to learn?

JediTalentAgent posted:

You had Brenda Starr
There's a Brenda Starr movie?

Wheat Loaf posted:

You'd think a straight adaptation of the Brenda Starr comic strips where she's an ace reporter and globe-trotting adventurer would've been perfectly good by itself, but for some reason (probably because Roger Rabbit had been a big movie the year before) they decided it would be about a guy who draws the Brenda Starr comics and has to write himself into them when Brenda comes to life and becomes annoyed that she's underappreciated. :shrug:
:psyduck:

pr0zac posted:

Its kind of annoying that her strength level seems so variable in the shows. She can lift the back of a SUV with little effort and is shown as being as strong or stronger than Cage in the apartment wrecking make out scene but also gets overpowered by a few dudes jumping on her at once when she should be punching holes through people. It seems really inconsistent.
I doubt there's a single character with super strength that this complaint wouldn't apply to. They pretty much always have the exact strength the plot calls for, regardless of how strong they've previously been shown to be.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's one scene where Jim West (Will Smith) is swapping insults with Dr Loveless (Kenneth Branagh, whose performance is both ridiculous and one of the highlights of the film) which boils down to "Haha! You're black!" and "Haha! You're disabled!" It's almost like if Tarantino made a PG movie for kids.

(Dangling above a canyon)

Dr Loveless: "Mr West, how did we arrive in such a DARK situation?"

Jim West: "I dunno Loveless, I'm as STUMPED as you are!"

I laughed. There was definitely a feeling watching Wild Wild West that they expected it to be this huge thing but watching it all I was thinking was "...that's it?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Wasn't Wild Wild West supposed to be a superman script at one point? I remember there being a connection between that and a Superman movie that never made it off the ground.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Memento posted:

Wasn't Wild Wild West supposed to be a superman script at one point? I remember there being a connection between that and a Superman movie that never made it off the ground.

IIRC the only connection is that the producer who backed it wanted a movie with a giant spider in it. He was originally backing a superman movie that had Nic Cage as Superman but that fell apart and his next project was Wild Wild West.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It annoys me when actors play characters with the same first name as themselves on tv shows. See Charlie sheen in two and a half men, Tim Allen in home improvement, etc etc

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

My IMM is:
Any scene where a workplace boss flippantly tells the protagonist their coffee order.
It is always ways too fast and way too complicated.

I get what they are trying to show but I've never had a boss behave that way.

A realistic depiction is the boss ordering a latte and screaming at someone because they didn't bring them a mocha.

You got that right

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tochiazuma posted:

You got that right

That was a great movie. Swimming with Sharks for those that don't know it. Slightly trite ending but enjoyable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Her powers are super strength and jumping really high

But not hella high.

It is kinda funny that, X-Men aside, we didn't really get too many superhero movies distinctly in the comic style until Marvel went gently caress it and started making them themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

It annoys me when actors play characters with the same first name as themselves on tv shows. See Charlie sheen in two and a half men, Tim Allen in home improvement, etc etc
I wish every character had the same first name as the actor who played them. It would be really convenient.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Another strange movie.

This is sort of leading to another thing in movies that annoys me that, again, a LOT of films seems like they do: Let's take characters out of their established settings/era/etc. and throw them in to the 'modern real world' for a fish out of water adventure.

I think the Biggles movie had the main character travelling to the 'future' of the 80s. The He-Man movie set most of it in the US in the 80s. Fat Albert, Brady's, Rocky and Bullwinkle I think did similar. The Smurfs films of a few years ago decided that we needed to have it all set in NYC or something in the modern day.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is sort of leading to another thing in movies that annoys me that, again, a LOT of films seems like they do: Let's take characters out of their established settings/era/etc. and throw them in to the 'modern real world' for a fish out of water adventure.

I think the Biggles movie had the main character travelling to the 'future' of the 80s. The He-Man movie set most of it in the US in the 80s. Fat Albert, Brady's, Rocky and Bullwinkle I think did similar. The Smurfs films of a few years ago decided that we needed to have it all set in NYC or something in the modern day.

It's pretty much so they can take an unrelated script and staple a famous character onto it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also, cheaper than building sets. It's the all-round minimum-effort option.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Has there ever been a movie which was improved by taking a character from a fantastic world and dropping them into 1990s New York?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I guess Star Trek: The Voyage Home? Except it's San Francisco and it's the mid-80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Burrito posted:

(Dangling above a canyon)

Dr Loveless: "Mr West, how did we arrive in such a DARK situation?"

Jim West: "I dunno Loveless, I'm as STUMPED as you are!"

From imdb:

quote:

Dr. Arliss Loveless: Mister West! How nice of you to join us tonight and add COLOR to these monochromatic proceedings!
Capt. James West: Well when a fella comes back from the dead, I find that an occasion to STAND UP and be counted!
Dr. Arliss Loveless: Miss East informs me that you were expectin' to see General McGrath here. Well, I knew him years ago, but I haven't seen him in a COON's age!
Capt. James West: Well, I can see where it'd be difficult for a man of your stature to keep in touch with even HALF the people you know.
Dr. Arliss Loveless: Well, perhaps the lovely Miss East will keep you from bein' a SLAVE to your disappointment!
Capt. James West: Well, you know beautiful women; they encourage you one minute, and CUT THE LEGS OUT from under you the next!

quote:

I laughed. There was definitely a feeling watching Wild Wild West that they expected it to be this huge thing but watching it all I was thinking was "...that's it?"

Like I said, this is a movie that cost more to make than almost every other action blockbuster in the 90s; don't know whether it had weird production stories but I wouldn't be surprised.