Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

What banners should I focus on as a person playing catch-up after not playing seriously for a while.

My A team right now is
Onion Knight BSB
Minfillia SSB (the last stand one)
Tifa USB/BSB
Yuffie USB
Rosa SSB (Magic blink)

I think I've got the makings of good fire, holy, and dark teams too, but I haven't even come close to clearing a magacite dungeon.

Decided to sit down and do an actual inventory of what I have.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GHj8y30CFsVnsb-UkKkDSpR8n7cMy5KAUXhrt3Sy4iw

Tons of fire, not much water and ice. Bits and pieces of the others.

Green is empower, red is make vulnerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Remove AoE stop from the game

E: made image less huge sorry

Neutral Zone Trap fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 26, 2017

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
As a new player with 50 stamina so far, everything I read says to run the realm dungeons to build more stamina, but should I be focusing on the 30th anniversary roulette stuff while its around? I can only really do the easy orb dungeons.

I already did the 30 gem thing and the Tyro USB dungeons.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Books On Tape posted:

As a new player with 50 stamina so far, everything I read says to run the realm dungeons to build more stamina, but should I be focusing on the 30th anniversary roulette stuff while its around? I can only really do the easy orb dungeons.

I already did the 30 gem thing and the Tyro USB dungeons.

When you hit 5 stamina shards it refills your stamina to max so it might be worth running the early dungeons until you can't refresh through shards, then head to the anniversary dungeons.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

iPodschun posted:

Gem draw is tomorrow

shouldn't the 30th anniversary relic draw be referring to the free 30 pull we got? I thought the gem draw was the crystal tower one

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

shouldn't the 30th anniversary relic draw be referring to the free 30 pull we got? I thought the gem draw was the crystal tower one

Look at the dates.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Look at the dates.

he did, he's saying that date is wrong.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
The 30 pull was the "FF 30th Anniversary Free Relic Draw" and is not listed on that image

Nihilarian posted:

I thought the gem draw was the crystal tower one
The Crystal Tower draw should be mythril or gems

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Attestant posted:

He does ok, even with just BSB. Instant actions and stackable breaks are still good. But then I wouldn't BSB dive him without a really good dagger. I have Bartz's knife, so I have an universal 195 attack dagger that I can use with his LM1.

Oh yeah, that's the other thing I'm lacking. I have yet to pull a native 6* dagger (in Global anyway, in JP I've wound up with Vaan and Bartz USB's). Hilariously, I've gotten three Orichalcum Dirk's but nowadays a 5+++ isn't super impressive when it doesn't have realm synergy bonus.

I thought it was funny to have a Sentinel's Grimoire+++, but now the new freebie SQUAD GOALS book completely outclasses it in stats (well maybe not entirely, SG+++ looks to have a higher MND stat but ATK/MAG tends to be more important with Tyrone)

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Decided to pull on Banner 1.

Matoya's BSB/11

gently caress this game

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

This Lightning LD+USB is incredible and certainly gets the Celerity feel and playstyle I thought didn't exist. I did the 160 MP with pubbies. The team was your average pub team which is to say it had way too much healers and supports. Two supports, three healers and 3 dps. DPS were my Lightning, a TGCid and a Celes.

Celes was casting guardbringers for a respectable 16k per cast.
TGCid spammed Lifesiphon to OSB.

My Lightning lifesiphoned twice, cast USB, cast three (or four?) Thundering Twinstrikes for 20k each and finished the fight with a 99999 OSB. This happened directly after OSB from Cid who didn't have the time to do anything else. This is one fast girl who is also strong.

I was among the people who disrespected the celerity legend dive initially. What good is haste+instant cast at the start of the fight when your buffs aren't up? Turns out it's really drat good for any kind of fight.
JS? Cloud USB RW on the first turn, enelement SB second turn and third turn when the buffs are up it's murder time. This lets you get both RWs up on two dudes really fast to eliminate those JS bosses before they get to do anything you don't want them doing.

Normal fight? Equip Ace Striker. Triple lifesiphon at the start. The damage is low, but it's not a big deal. Once again after the buffs are up you are ready to go. You could say this effect is similar to having both Dr. Mogs and Ace Striker LMs equipped which sounds pretty good to me.

Fighting against an rear end in a top hat? RW wall before the boss gets to do anything. Lifesiphon, DPS etc

ceaselessfuture posted:

Decided to pull on Banner 1.

Matoya's BSB/11

gently caress this game

It's a good BSB, it's a rare FF1 synergy relic and it's a broom which is awesome. Triple element SBs are especially potent if you're new to the game since you can focus your eggs/motes on that character and get three characters' worth of bang for for your buck. I'd be happy with that one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My 6*s have been all been swords, MND-focused rods/staffs/instruments, and a blitzball. Not a single MAG-focused weapon in sight.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

It's a good BSB, it's a rare FF1 synergy relic and it's a broom which is awesome. Triple element SBs are especially potent if you're new to the game since you can focus your eggs/motes on that character and get three characters' worth of bang for for your buck. I'd be happy with that one.

I think it's the principle of the thing. You pull on a fest banner and you hope for more than BSB.

On the plus side, at least it wasn't Garland BSB/11. that thing is striaght up garbage.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I have it and it is garbage. FF1 synergy almost never comes up the bsb's damage is bad.

I egged Matoya to 99, 4* dived her, gave her a 6* mag weapon, triple stacked mag buffs, added +15% cold damage and +80 mag from magicites, and gave her a +30% cold damage materia and her commands still do less than 6k a hit against Fenrir.

It is a low end BSB at the end of the BSB era. I'm pretty sure it is the worst triple element bsb.

Any content that BSB is relevant for can be solved much better by RWing something good.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 26, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
It's my first mage Ice sb at least? It could always be worse I guess~

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Yes. Its viability vs Magicites is especially what I was thinking of when I said it's good for a new player.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I leveled up and dived Matoya specifically for Fenrir and all I have to show for it is a distinct lack of wisdom motes.

I thought the same thing until I tried it.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is there a good wiki for this game other than the lovely official strategy guide? I'm trying to find where to get the various characters I have relics for and so far the official guide has been wrong. It says I should get him as a reward for one of the early FFVI dungeons, but that wasn't the case. I got him from the FFVI event dungeon going on right now.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Books On Tape posted:

Is there a good wiki for this game other than the lovely official strategy guide? I'm trying to find where to get the various characters I have relics for and so far the official guide has been wrong. It says I should get him as a reward for one of the early FFVI dungeons, but that wasn't the case. I got him from the FFVI event dungeon going on right now.

There are multiple sources for character acquisition and the strategy guide, I think, lists old events that they were found in.

At any time you can go to Annex > Hall of Records > Soul of Hero button and search for any character you want, then buy them with a Soul of a Hero.

All of this also applies for Memory Crystals!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I egged Matoya to 99, 4* dived her, gave her a 6* mag weapon, triple stacked mag buffs, added +15% cold damage and +80 mag from magicites, and gave her a +30% cold damage materia and her commands still do less than 6k a hit against Fenrir.

22k damage per turn is quite good for 3 star Magicite boss BSBs. I get less than that from anyone on my mage wind team.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I keep trying to talk myself out of a banner 1 pull because I already have the onion stuff but I also want the earth damage and II synergy... Ahhh... Someone tell me what to do so I am less responsible for the outcome

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Rule 1: Always Pull
Rule 2: Never Pull

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I'm not pulling on 1 because I got OK's OSB and BSB, but I also have Leila, Firion and Maria's BSB, which I consider to be pretty much the heavy hitters. I'd only really want Firion's OSB and Desch's BSB, maybe Luneth, but this is a lot of dupe risk and I dont wanna take that risk.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I keep trying to talk myself out of a banner 1 pull because I already have the onion stuff but I also want the earth damage and II synergy... Ahhh... Someone tell me what to do so I am less responsible for the outcome

A smarter person and better player than me once said not to fret pulls, they'll be terrible and never give you what you want so why not just spend? Same difference in the end.

Please note I have over 400 Mythril so I'm kind of a big ol' hypocrite there.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

as an older player only returned the other day with about 85 mithril which of these event banners should i 11 pull on? assume i have basically nothing except the things i posted from the day 2/3/free 30 pull and a sentinel grimoire.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

as an older player only returned the other day with about 85 mithril which of these event banners should i 11 pull on? assume i have basically nothing except the things i posted from the day 2/3/free 30 pull and a sentinel grimoire.

Banner 1 offers Onion Knight's BSB which would allow you to get a Hastega going and have Tyro available to set up sentinel's grimoire . Banner 2 I wouldn't pull on unless you like the characters on it Chicken knife is cool but there are probably more important things for you to go after.

Banner 3 I would pull on because even most of the relics that aren't the top prizes are pretty dang good. I'm biased against banner 4 but I would say the same as Banner 2 applies, pull if you like these characters.

I like Banner 5 a lot and would suggest you pull here if you don't have an overwhelming attachment to the characters from other banner.

Did you already get the 30 mythril from the magic pot? If so I'd do one on 3 and one on 5. If you haven't then you should have enough mythril to do one on 1,3, and 5.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well i pulled on banner one and got kiku ichimonji (III) lightbringer (II) and gladius (II) none of which are dupes, so thanks thread for not influencing me strongly one way or the other

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

well i pulled on banner one and got kiku ichimonji (III) lightbringer (II) and gladius (II) none of which are dupes, so thanks thread for not influencing me strongly one way or the other
that's a loving goodass pull, congrats

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I had a thought:

Just how meh is the Delita banner? I could probably spare a pull and I 100 gemmed Delita's LMR so if I got his BSB or USB he'd be pretty neat. That's a pretty big if though.

I cautioned against it for other people but I whiffed or missed a bunch of other relics.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

A smarter person and better player than me once said not to fret pulls, they'll be terrible and never give you what you want so why not just spend? Same difference in the end.

Please note I have over 400 Mythril so I'm kind of a big ol' hypocrite there.

tiny brain: I'll pull right now and maybe get something good!
big brain: I'll carefully plan my pulls and optimize my chances.
galactic brain: I'll pull right now and definitely get something bad!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ybrik posted:

Banner 1 offers Onion Knight's BSB which would allow you to get a Hastega going and have Tyro available to set up sentinel's grimoire . Banner 2 I wouldn't pull on unless you like the characters on it Chicken knife is cool but there are probably more important things for you to go after.

Banner 3 I would pull on because even most of the relics that aren't the top prizes are pretty dang good. I'm biased against banner 4 but I would say the same as Banner 2 applies, pull if you like these characters.

I like Banner 5 a lot and would suggest you pull here if you don't have an overwhelming attachment to the characters from other banner.

Did you already get the 30 mythril from the magic pot? If so I'd do one on 3 and one on 5. If you haven't then you should have enough mythril to do one on 1,3, and 5.

i actually have 99 mithril! and unfortunately i did already get the 30, but at the same time i dont know that it would necessarily be THAT hard for me to get 51 more by the time the fifth banner rolls around. thank you for the help

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Nihilarian posted:

that's a loving goodass pull, congrats

thanks, its not the maria's bow I was hoping for but its probably better!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ApplesandOranges posted:

My 6*s have been all been swords, MND-focused rods/staffs/instruments, and a blitzball. Not a single MAG-focused weapon in sight.

My 6 stars are all esoteric mage weapons.

Swords, throwing weapons, books, whips.

Madness.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Dr Pepper posted:

Madness.
amateur.

*fully rosettas Lulu's 6* doll*

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Madness.

they seem to be going out of their way to avoid making 6* MAG rods

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Prav posted:

Seriously, 6* MAG rods are rare as hen's teeth. It's like, Rydia OSB and Papalymo OSB and that's it (I'm sure I'm missing some, but still).

For 6* stuff I have two MND rods, a whip, a sword, two thrown, and I guess two of Tyro's books. My kingdom for a drat rod I could augment.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Krile OSB. Would be pretty much perfect if not for the fire bonus being synergy only.

Wanna slap whatever rear end in a top hat thought up that mechanic on gear.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Prav posted:

Rapha USB exists too. Since I have that and Rydia OSB, I feel like I'm not at all hurting for MAG rods. Throw in Lulu USB, Vivi OSB, Terra OSB, Rinoa OSB, and Hope OSB (and 8* Hope BSB for good measure) and I rather feel full up on magic synergy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ybrik posted:

Banner 1 offers Onion Knight's BSB which would allow you to get a Hastega going and have Tyro available to set up sentinel's grimoire .

Caveat emptor that Onion Knight is an astounding bitch to get to usable status; his stats are useless until ~Lv92 and you can't farm the mandatory trinkets you need to give him more than 3* skill access unless an FF3 event or the mote dungeon is up.

Like, for a long-time player OK BSB is amazing, but for a newbie it is very much a dangerous proposition until they start selling onion motes in the greens shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Schwartzcough posted:

Seriously, 6* MAG rods are rare as hen's teeth. It's like, Rydia OSB and Papalymo OSB and that's it (I'm sure I'm missing some, but still).

For 6* stuff I have two MND rods, a whip, a sword, two thrown, and I guess two of Tyro's books. My kingdom for a drat rod I could augment.

There are more, but it's definitely not super popular. It's the second reason why Kuja's OSB is amazing. Dark+ 6* Rod, not RS locked.

Decided to actually look it up:

In Global:
Rydia OSB
Krile OSB
Exdeath USB
Kuja OSB (dark+)
Papalymo OSB
Rapha USB
Marach USB

So 7 MAG Rods in Global, and three are pretty recent too. To compare with 3 MAG Staves, 4 Swords, 1 Fist, 2 Books (3 with Alphinaud USB), 1 Bow, 1 Whip, 5 Thrown, 1 Gun and 1 Doll. 7/27 are rods - almost 1 in 4.

Staves are almost as widely used as Rods if you have one of those, but a few mages don't have staff access (Rydia, Terra, Fujin, Golbez, Reno, Rude eventually, and Rinoa with no dive). A few more rods coming which is nice (Emperor USB, Reno USB, Garnet USB, Ysayle OSB which is ice+), but a lot more staves and thrown weapons.

My 6* relics are pretty okay. Mostly swords, then a fist, blitzball, two mage throwers, Shantotto's CSB staff, OK's Heavy Armor, then Fran's bow.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 27, 2017

• Locked thread