Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

sum posted:

Could someone who's a good law knower explain exactly what illegal thing happened here besides Player Paying in the First Degree

The agent/clothing/finance advisor was a hilariously illegal kickback scheme

Adidas is straight cash homie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Pitino gets "lucky" alot.

It's all about volume, it's all about quantity, get it and get it fast. Which is to say that Rick Pitino testified in a court of law, he raised his hand and swore upon penalty of perjury, that he came in under 15 seconds

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

EvanTH posted:

It's all about volume, it's all about quantity, get it and get it fast. Which is to say that Rick Pitino testified in a court of law, he raised his hand and swore upon penalty of perjury, that he came in under 15 seconds

https://twitter.com/DrewFranklinKSR/status/912735263725584387

:eyepop: "What does that mean, in 15 seconds, for Rick Pitino?" :eyepop:

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

EvanTH posted:

and how did he do it?

"I did, down my leg."

EDIT to quote correctly

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 26, 2017

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Chief McHeath posted:

haha :lol:

gently caress

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Chief McHeath posted:

lol got 'em

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

Chief McHeath posted:

Ahahaha!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Listening to Louisville sports talk radio. The host is really trying to convince people that "Coach-2" isn't Pitino but another assistant. Because everyone else involved is an assistant and no way a head coach would be involved because they would know how much trouble they could get in.

I almost feel bad for the guy

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chief McHeath posted:

:drat: that's a burn if i've ever seen one

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Chief McHeath posted:

I'm from outside the states can somebody explain this joke?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Khagan posted:

I'm from outside the states can somebody explain this joke?

Rick Pitino testified he cheated on his wife with some floozie in a restaurant and came down his leg in 15 seconds.

Truth is stranger than fiction

edit: also UL sounds super hosed but as a fan of an Adidas school I'm certainly not gloating. I'm scared shitless.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Rick Pitino testified he cheated on his wife with some floozie in a restaurant and came down his leg in 15 seconds.

edit: also UL sounds super hosed but as a fan of an Adidas school I'm certainly not gloating. I'm scared shitless.

Yeah, I'm super worried about USC, especially since Bland was our top recruiter and that almost certainly means he was involved in a lot of recent big signings

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Merl Code is key to the scheme. I doubt he was a super squeaky clean guy at Nike and then magically became a shady bag man when he got to Adidas.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you somehow involve Nike in this as well basically all of college basketball save the handful of Under Armour teams go down with it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wisconsin is an Under Armor school, but I wouldn't be shocked if something like this came out with UA too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But they used to be an Adidas school a couple years ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kiimo posted:

But they used to be an Adidas school a couple years ago.

Yup, part of me hopes that's what drove the switch too.

But it probably came down to money.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/zhelfand/status/912748993351839744

:lol:

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

wow things must be really bad in lala land

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

If you somehow involve Nike in this as well basically all of college basketball save the handful of Under Armour teams go down with it.

I think Code could very easily drag Nike into this

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

wow things must be really bad in lala land

Well considering their top recruiting assistant was charged, so it makes sense that they want to get ahead of the NCAA to figure things out (and to put everything in order to make sure Bland is the fall guy)

From the LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-tony-bland-20170926-story.html

quote:

Prosecutors allege that Bland met with Christian Dawkins, a former sports agent trying to start his own firm, and an undercover FBI agent on July 29 in a Las Vegas hotel room. Bland said any university players who he controlled would be “coming to” Dawkins, according to prosecutors, and the coach added he had “heavy influence” over his school’s players choosing agents and advisors.

They also discussed the need to “take care of” two USC players referred to in the complaint as “Player-8” and “Player-9.” The players were identified as a rising freshman and a rising sophomore.

In the room, prosecutors said, Dawkins took an envelope containing $13,000 and said he would give it to Bland. The two men left the room together.

“For these men, bribing coaches was a business investment,” Kim said.

Prosecutors also charged Bland with facilitating payments of $9,000 to families of two USC basketball players, using cash-filled envelopes.

During a meeting on USC’s campus Aug. 31 that prosecutors said was recorded by an undercover FBI agent, Bland told Dawkins, the agent and Munish Sood, the chief executive of an investment advisory firm, that if they continued to fund the families of USC players and recruits, the coach would ensure the players would use Dawkins as an agent.

“I definitely can get the players,” Bland told the others at the meeting. “And I can definitely mold the players and put them in the lap of you guys.”

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 26, 2017

sum
Nov 15, 2010

ch3cooh posted:

Well on the bright side if 300 programs get implicated in this the NCAA might just collapse

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

ch3cooh posted:

Obviously this is every big company, the stars just aligned to drag Adidas down first.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

can't wait until big baller brand is the official outfitter of the ncaa

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

shyduck posted:

Russell Athletic's time to shine, baby

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

shyduck posted:

He was actually interviewed in that loving article I posted

quote:

LaVar Ball, founder of Big Baller Brand and father of boys who play for the Lakers, UCLA and Chino Hills High, said no one ever offered him incentives to have his boys play for a particular school.

“I think it's wrong, but guess what, it's part of business,” he said. “I have no part of it. My boys have no part of it. That's where pressure comes in. My boy is in it for the love of the game. We owe nobody nothing.”

Regarding the influence of shoe companies, Ball said: “All of them have to find the next best dude. I have the next best guy. I have three.”

Like, that was just tacked on at the very end of the article

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

He was actually interviewed in that loving article I posted

Like, that was just tacked on at the very end of the article

honestly I want every story to have a Lavar Ball angle

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

Russell Athletic's time to shine, baby

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 26, 2017

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I just want to look fondly back on years of defending John Beilein's recruiting misses on top targets being based on him being a by the book guy who wouldn't pay players or deal with shady AAU/shoe guys.

Yep, still surely had nothing to do with it. There's zero difference between programs level of dirtiness.

Give Louisville the death penalty already, and kill the Papa John's guy as a bonus

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Michigan Men would nev-hey what happened to all those banners?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Well, my school is

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Well, my school is

I can state fairly unequivocally that my school is clean in this because we are a slightly above mediocre D2 program

e: https://twitter.com/DarrenHeitner/status/912799900483637248

ASM was Christian Dawkins' employer before he got fired for the $42k in uber charges on a client's card.

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 26, 2017

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
JFC if they give Louisville the death penalty ....

http://deadspin.com/louisvilles-arena-deal-is-a-complete-disaster-1797126730

quote:

In the original deal, signed in 2007, the city started off by making a minimum annual payment of about $6.5 million, which would have cost Louisville taxpayers $206 million over 30 years.

If the city amends the arena ordinance and continues to make the maximum payments throughout the debt schedule, it would pay around $309 million in total toward the Yum Center’s debt.

And their biggest tenant might get shut down

Adun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 26, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Twitter is abuzz that Pitino could be out as early as tomorrow.

edit: ASM Sports clients...

http://www.asmsports.com/asm-family

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 26, 2017

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mike_V posted:

Looks like Mike Alden was playing the long game in hiring Kim Anderson baby

Actually getting dirty in recruiting is something True Sons never did

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
fire Underwood, hire pitino illini

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Pitino is canned, Jurich has to go and he was Petrino's big backer. Cant imagine a new AD would put with Petrino's poo poo

Lol if Louisville is razed to the ground

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

fire Underwood, hire pitino illini

Bruce Weber is roused from his afternoon cat nap and squeaks out a "wait what was that"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kiimo posted:

Twitter is abuzz that Pitino could be out as early as tomorrow.

I mean...he's gotta go at this point. Right? This is his what, 3rd major scandal at Louisville?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

kiimo posted:

Every Scout.com poster who bitched over the years about losing recruits because of shoe deals has been vindicated :tinfoil:

• Locked thread