Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Holy poo poo. And even a proper turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
I Think I've stopped trying to tell him one project car at a time........... We are looking for a factory unit now....

Now, for a video of KB wine tasting.... https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/10155041672098723/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/index.php?/category/28

Rally SA photos

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

WANTED

Rally service crew members for an experienced WRC team. Must be able to roll their eyes at yet another "Thats what she said" joke, hand tools to stressed out mechanics trying to rebuild the smoking remains of a rally car in 40 minutes, enjoy dust as the photographer gets showered in rocks, Chinese food, beer, not much sleep and foul tempered Cat farting all while eating loads of sausage sandwiches and wandering around the paddock and marvelling at the big time crews lap of luxury while we sit under a tent and hope it doesnt blow away.

Sounds just the way you would want to spend a weekend? Then apply now! We'll take anyone crazy, homeless, drunk, male/female/transgender or just plain bored. Accomodation provided(ish), might also be a few spare seats to hitch a lift. Or just fly up and drop out of the plane.

Nov 16-19 at the beautiful (?) and scenic (LOL) Coffs Harbour.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If I wasn't on the wrong side of the world, I'd be in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I wasn't on the wrong side of the world, I'd be in.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
oooohhh I was just looking at taking some time off in November. Do I need any actual skills or experience or is owning a BBQ that fits in a Corolla enough?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'll work on it. I'm crazy and drunk and in 3 weeks time I'll be homeless. I still need to get over there from perth, so if I can finish spray painting the ba ute in 2 weeks, and get it relicenced as well as store my other poo poo somewhere I'll be over. I've got no other plans or reasons to be anywhere in Nov.

I've driven across before so it's no big deal to me, I just have to work on the ute and find storage

E: got to get dent repair tips from you for the ute.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 20, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
This is why it needs a respray. A complete factory/paint suplier stuff up for "shockwave blue" colour - the paint just peels off. The roof was completely stuffed, as well as the top of the drivers door

Also some prick doored me really bad, bad enough to stuff up the inside. And right near the inner and outer skins, so there's no access from the inside. I bought PDR tools and tried to use them, but LOL it just pulled the paint off as you would expect with this paint.

The smashed rear corner dent I asked you about ages ago. My plan was to get a new BA tray in shockwave blue, as this is a poorly painted (ex-white) AU tray. But if in a hurry I might just bang it out and bog it up

there's some access to the inside of that dent, but not right into the corner

I've made some progress on it. the roof was all faded and rusted due to the peeling paint. It's in epoxy etch primer now

Also done the top of the drivers door because that was all peeled back to primer due to failing paint

Prep and respray has stalled because I have no idea how to handle the door job, ie the plastic painted strip that runs down the bottom quarter, or the sill skirts or how to tackle the front guard job (ie should I remove guard or remove bumper?)

End of the day though, it's that rear dent that needs to be fixed and new tail light for licensing.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 20, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You guys don't have plastidip? That bodywork looks "Plastidip Grade" to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

oooohhh I was just looking at taking some time off in November. Do I need any actual skills or experience or is owning a BBQ that fits in a Corolla enough?

BBQ? Dude! Yes! Absolutly!

quote:

I'll work on it. I'm crazy and drunk and in 3 weeks time I'll be homeless. I still need to get over there from perth, so if I can finish spray painting the ba ute in 2 weeks, and get it relicenced as well as store my other poo poo somewhere I'll be over. I've got no other plans or reasons to be anywhere in Nov.

I've driven across before so it's no big deal to me, I just have to work on the ute and find storage

E: got to get dent repair tips from you for the ute.

Hell yes! Gimme a bit with repair tips, I'll have a think best way. Got a floor jack and long pieces of wood?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You guys don't have plastidip? That bodywork looks "Plastidip Grade" to me.

The roof had peeled back to the metal in 5 large places starting to rust. So it really needed to rubbed back to bare metal. It's mainly the roof, drivers door and front guard that's stuffed, the passenger side is fine - door, cab, guard, tub as well as the front bumper. The tailgate and bonnet is pretty meh, but not worth repainting.
So it's cheaper just to paint just the 3 worst panels - the roof, drivers door and guard (as well as the tub side/corner with the dent). A plastidip would cost about $900 but the paint to do just this part is $200. Plus I still needed to do the roof in primer due to rust, and fix the dent in the door and in the tub anyway. Doing the whole car or a wrap isn't worth it as the ute is only worth $3k.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hell yes! Gimme a bit with repair tips, I'll have a think best way. Got a floor jack and long pieces of wood?
Yes on jacks, and lots of 2x2s and 5x2s around here. E: also I bought a cylinder of mapp gas for my old turbo torch, because last time I tried to tackle this dent cold it broke my little cheap panel beating hammer

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 21, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Yes on jacks, and lots of 2x2s and 5x2s around here. E: also I bought a cylinder of mapp gas for my old turbo torch, because last time I tried to tackle this dent cold it broke my little cheap panel beating hammer

My guess here is a well positioned and shaped piece of wood / metal with a jack used for hydralic pressure would almost pop that dent out. Jack up against something solid in the tray and then press the dent out with the wood / metal.

Rally Dog

Sleeping cats

I leant something today. Gutting a collapsed catalytic converter is NOT as easy as you think it would be. It took a good hour to smash out the internals and they are a godawful load more tougher than the thin wavy cross section would lead you to believe. You cant make a dent in it unless you whale the ever living gently caress out of it... I thought they were mostly platinum and soft. Well poo poo was I wrong.... and now I'm wondering what is the way to properly gut a converter if the internals collapse? There has ot be a better way than whale on the guts until they break apart

Rego exhaust off

Full 3" with twin tip muffler, centre resonator. So... what does it sound like now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R377_Go4dC0

Really drat good!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The accepted method is to attack it with a drill first so you create weak points in the structure.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Full 3" with twin tip muffler, centre resonator. So... what does it sound like now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R377_Go4dC0

Really Rally drat good!

I'm keen as mustard to head along to Coffs Harbour. Let me have a look at taking some days off. Can you be a little more specific about arrangements? Like I have a great tent, love camping and would happily be there to turn snags and bacon and do whatever is asked of me

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I leant something today. Gutting a collapsed catalytic converter is NOT as easy as you think it would be. It took a good hour to smash out the internals and they are a godawful load more tougher than the thin wavy cross section would lead you to believe. You cant make a dent in it unless you whale the ever living gently caress out of it... I thought they were mostly platinum and soft. Well poo poo was I wrong.... and now I'm wondering what is the way to properly gut a converter if the internals collapse? There has ot be a better way than whale on the guts until they break apart

Maybe you have an after market cat. The factory ones I have seen are a ceramic honeycomb, but the after market ones are like rolled up corregated roof covered with the catalyst stuff.
I think you would have a hard time smashing a roll of metal out, probably better to get a empty pipe to start with, unless you want the look of a cat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

God drat it every time I think "I am going to the Rally this year" something comes up.

This year it is a drug fuelled bucks party at hamilton island.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

I'm keen as mustard to head along to Coffs Harbour. Let me have a look at taking some days off. Can you be a little more specific about arrangements? Like I have a great tent, love camping and would happily be there to turn snags and bacon and do whatever is asked of me

We have accomodation and ..... hmmm....

If you are interested PM me, I'll fire off more details. At the least getting out to the stages is going to be convered.....

quote:

Maybe you have an after market cat. The factory ones I have seen are a ceramic honeycomb, but the after market ones are like rolled up corregated roof covered with the catalyst stuff.
I think you would have a hard time smashing a roll of metal out, probably better to get a empty pipe to start with, unless you want the look of a cat.

Yes aftermarket cat. And yes, smashing the roll out was a loving bitch but it had to be done - it was burning away and blocking exhaust flow. No replacement pipes at hand unfortunatly so 40 minutes swinging loving huge hammers and smashing the guts out with a huge pry bar. Not pretty and it was drat hard..... but got it done so the exhaust could be changed over.

I really am astounded how tough the guts of a converter actually are.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 22, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lets go under WReckX and have a look what I dealing with ....

poo poo. Diff leaks

Welp. It's taken a rear quarter hit that it needed a quarter replacement.

Rust cleanup needed

Even after I wiped my hands. Yep, I must be doing something greasy with hands halfway up this car's rear end....

gently caress off fart cannon ricer exhaust

Fours hours to trying to fit power steering lines to the steering rack. It just would not hook up. Went to bed, next morning decided to take the rack out to try and figure out what the hell was going on

Bottom - MY95 rack. Top - MY99. See the subtle difference? gently caress me, how come there's almost no documentation that GC8's really do have a series 1 and series 2 parts list and neither works with the other??? 4 hours down the shitter with that one.

At least both racks look to be in good condition and the swap is easy.

Okay so while I finish fuming from that SNAFU, got the stereo going on the yellow WRX. Calibration of the touchscreen isnt perfect but I hooked up my phone etc.

..... well poo poo, bent control arm. Got spares

So after I got my head straight, dived back under WReckX to have a look at removing driveshafts. Kinda had a thought I should really also drain the gearbox oil.....

Well.

gently caress.

Yeah thats waaaaaaaay too reflective. And there's def bit of gearbox in there too, let alone on the plug itself.

Well. This was an ugly weekend for the wagon.... and talk about project creep. I cant help thinking now I know the driveline isnt good I go find a STI wreck. I also really need to sit down and have a good think exactly where to go from here. I think I got it right when I set out that the car needed to have MY99 wiring that really began this teardown but I think I eed to decided on my target - I've been working too randomly just fixing things as I go.

Now I know I have to remove so much, doing a STI widetrack is pretty much a given.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
You have a lot of projects, so forgive me for asking, but you're probably too far down the sunk costs rabbit hole to just cut your losses at this point, right? If I remember you just retrofitted an entire interior from the wrong MY into it, so I'm going to assume this is the case.

STI Wagon Shitter would be pretty loving great though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

You have a lot of projects, so forgive me for asking, but you're probably too far down the sunk costs rabbit hole to just cut your losses at this point, right? If I remember you just retrofitted an entire interior from the wrong MY into it, so I'm going to assume this is the case.

STI Wagon Shitter would be pretty loving great though.

Oh there is ZERO doubt I should have trashed the red wagon a long time ago. And to be honest I havent spent enough that I cant eaily just trash it now either. There is no reason why I should resurrect this car at all.

It simply started as me being stubborn and looking for a project I could do anything with (I dont have to give a rats fart about this car), learn more without worrying about trashing something I care about. But right now lets realtalk why I havent scrapped it and used the parts to fuel better cars.

It's for my mental health. Life is pretty poo poo, I got relationship problems.... and this car I owe zero to that I can do what I want, when I want and no one will tell me what to do with it. I am very well aware it's a piece of poo poo, I'm well aware I have a long list of problems too... so lets say we're both lovely projects and there is something highly carthic to be working on a broken rear end turd and making something of it. I have a vague notion of turning it into a right weapon... not sure what that will be but it's the vague thought of STI underpinnings, a big bang 2 litre and a body kit. She's a sad broken lady but mayyyybe I can make her worthwhile and red hot.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
:smith: :respek: :smith:
That's the main reason why i went out and bought a BMW. Something to do, something to take my mind of stuff, something that really doesn't matter but has a little bit of fun and potential.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
98/99 was the "phase 2" changeover. So yeah, there's a lot of stuff that changed on both the impreza and legacy around then. And there was also a smaller diameter rack the early imprezas got that won't even fit in the clamps right on a newer car.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My guess here is a well positioned and shaped piece of wood / metal with a jack used for hydralic pressure would almost pop that dent out. Jack up against something solid in the tray and then press the dent out with the wood / metal.
I tried with my hydraulic jacks on the weekend but they don'tt jack when on their side. Today I found and old scissor jack and had a go.

I was getting nowhere without heat so I got out my mapp torch

Some improvement, enough to put my non-existent hammer, dolly and bodyfiller skills to use later. The sharp corners are going to be hard and the tail light doesn't cover them unfortunately. Looks like chucky's head now and is creepy, so definitely more panel beating to be done before bogging it over.

E: before:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 26, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

That's the main reason why i went out and bought a BMW. Something to do, something to take my mind of stuff, something that really doesn't matter but has a little bit of fun and potential.

Fo3 posted:

I tried with my hydraulic jacks on the weekend but they do';t jack when on their side. Today I found and old scissor jack and had a go.

I was getting nowhere without heat so I got out my mapp torch

Some improvement, enough to put my non-existent hammer, dolly and bodyfiller skills to use later. The sharp corners are going to be hard and the tail light doesn't cover them unfortunately.

E: before:

Bit more directed heat and some panel eating will get you there now. Doesnt need to be perfect as body filler will hide a multitdue of sins.

Okay so I'm havig a think about the wagon and what next - I had to use a rear control arm to replce the bent one on the GC8 and I will also have to use a driveshaft.... and the other driveshafts on the wagon arent great so that got me thinking. What I *think* I might try on - and I know is possible - is widetrack the wagon with 07 STI suspension arms. Now I know that a GD WRX is about 2cm wider track than a GC and I think from memory a 07 STI will go a bit wider than that again. Soooo.... STI alloy arms front and rear to start with. I think from memory a GD wagon is a narrow track?

So after that, I think transplant a STI 6 speed and also hubs. That may give me ABS problems and as well I will have a PCD change. Oh and I have to do the Brembos at least.

Along with that would be a STI quickrack. Given I've just been bitten by the power steering lines, I'll need to work out the right lines to use.

Now my big problem has been the headlining - I havent really tried that one on and I'm not sure I want to. On the other hand.... maybe I bite the bullet and rip the sunroof out. I *think* I have an idea on how to patch over the roof hole..... or I go really insane and straight out replace the roof. That's I think possible, given it's bonded. I think? I havent removed a roof before so not 100% if thats true or not.

Hmmm. This might be the point I throw it open for ideas and comments. I'm not sure what I am aiming for here so lets get a-thinking.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Cue some of my spares going missing 😂

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

Cue some of my spares going missing 😂

Payback for half a red MY06 becoming spares in the first place :stoked:

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 26, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

On the roof thing - Now what would be stopping me from say..... covering the hole on he roof wih carbon fibre?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My understanding from swapping a lot of control arms over my career of owning several bad Subarus is that:

Front:

GC/GF and GG wagon are the same track width.
GD sedan and GD WRX sedan and GD STI are the same track width, which is to say wider than the GC/GF/GG. That's why the front fenders are box flared, unlike on the wagons.

Rear:

I think the GC/GF/GG and GD split is still true for the lateral links. Also, GD STI rear lateral links are a lot stiffer than GC/GF/GG ones so expect more oversteer.

As you know, struts and stuff probably aren't a direct interchange either. The sedan fronts have a longer clevis tab that screws up the geometry pretty bad on a stock wagon/GC arm.

Legacy parts are a whole other kettle of fish, axles included, from what I am seeing from helping my buddy swap axles on his OBXT.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 26, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

My understanding from swapping a lot of control arms over my career of owning several bad Subarus is that:

Front:

GC/GF and GG wagon are the same track width.
GD sedan and GD WRX sedan and GD STI are the same track width, which is to say wider than the GC/GF/GG. That's why the front fenders are box flared, unlike on the wagons.

Rear:

I think the GC/GF/GG and GD split is still true for the lateral links. Also, GD STI rear lateral links are a lot stiffer than GC/GF/GG ones so expect more oversteer.

As you know, struts and stuff probably aren't a direct interchange either. The sedan fronts have a longer clevis tab that screws up the geometry pretty bad on a stock wagon/GC arm.

Legacy parts are a whole other kettle of fish, axles included, from what I am seeing from helping my buddy swap axles on his OBXT.

Okay, that mostly tees up with my memory. I think tho there is still a 1 to 1.5 cm track difference in the 06 STI and the 06 WRX that I think might be due to the hubs? The 06 STI alloy arms / links front and rear were on the 06 WRX'es and they still are slightly narrower track width vs the STI

More to consider -

Stock track GC8

Complete STI swap in GC8

Stock 06 WRX

Stock 06 STI

From what I can see, it looks like putting 06 STI underpinnings in a GF8 is not a road well travelled - or surprisingly, not done that often on a GC8 even.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 26, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay, that mostly tees up with my memory. I think tho there is still a 1 to 1.5 cm track difference in the 06 STI and the 06 WRX that I think might be due to the hubs? The 06 STI alloy arms / links front and rear were on the 06 WRX'es and they still are slightly narrower track width vs the STI

Control arms are the same width, hubs are in the same spot. Wheels are wider and have a little less offset though. And some STi arms give extra caster. Here it is 04-06, and not 07. Other markets it might only be the spec-c and fancy models like that.

Rear 05-07 STI lateral links are a couple mm longer, so the rear track is a touch wider on those cars compared to the 04 and wrx sedan. Some wrxes get aluminum arms and links but they are the same dimensions as the steel parts.

Or that is how things are in the north american market anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 26, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Man to be a fly on the wall during the engineering sessions for the 86/BRZ...

Toyota: "So to avoid spinning up a new production line, we'll be using the tyres from a Prius, the lower control arms from this other model, the fuel pump from this one, the power steering from that one. There's no point engineering a new part if you don't have to."

Subaru Engineers look up from an engineering sketch that looks suspiciously like a wheel:
"...YOU CAN DO THAT?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Man to be a fly on the wall during the engineering sessions for the 86/BRZ...

Toyota: "So to avoid spinning up a new production line, we'll be using the tyres from a Prius, the lower control arms from this other model, the fuel pump from this one, the power steering from that one. There's no point engineering a new part if you don't have to."

Subaru Engineers look up from an engineering sketch that looks suspiciously like a wheel:
"...YOU CAN DO THAT?"

Yeah but the guy who designs Subaru engines went out for a smoke in 1989 and didn't come back until 2012 and then he just left again.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
*Butts out, looks at the vvt 2.0R engine in the Gen 4 Lib/Legacy*

"Oh now what the gently caress is this poo poo,"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah but the guy who designs Subaru engines went out for a smoke in 1989 and didn't come back until 2012 and then he just left again.

He should have stayed gone, gently caress the FA and it's plastic rods forever.

Okay having a look at a set of hubs at a WRX / STI wreckers today, the rear hubs are wider to incorporate the wider handbrake shoes (160mm plays 180mm) at least... the fronts kinda look wider as well but I couldnt do more than an eyeball. So.... looks like the rears on the Bad Obsession Motorsport tyre stickout guage

might be marginally cheeky and the fronts be marginally pansy.... and the idea of requiring fender flares grows as a result. Hmmmmmmm.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He should have stayed gone, gently caress the FA and it's plastic rods forever.

Okay having a look at a set of hubs at a WRX / STI wreckers today, the rear hubs are wider to incorporate the wider handbrake shoes (160mm plays 180mm) at least... the fronts kinda look wider as well but I couldnt do more than an eyeball. So.... looks like the rears on the Bad Obsession Motorsport tyre stickout guage

might be marginally cheeky and the fronts be marginally pansy.... and the idea of requiring fender flares grows as a result. Hmmmmmmm.

There was a mob making 22B knock off kits for the GF8 awhile back. Just saying....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ummmm.... link? This I gotta see

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Thhhhhat might explain odd twitchyness the yellow car had.

It really is obnoxious visually. It's also a godawful amount of fun in a tunnel - all 3" extractor and resonator deleted intake making for all sort of loud whistles, turbo sounds and exhaust rumble echoing .... esp when the driver gooses the throttle and the magic noises REALLY get going. The suspension is pretty drat harsh too so it's basically THUD over bumps. And as I have said before, this thing seems to offend all the nice middle class families in thier lovely AWD's and small dicked idiots feel like they have something to prove.

And of course now the wheel alignment is done ( +9mm toe out rear, 7+ front, trust angle somehting stupid -2.3 deg neg and -.3 other side, now set to 1mm total toe out front, 1mm total toe in rear etc....)it drove a godawful load better too. Wheels def not balanced but eh. TBH about the only thing I dont like vusually is the wheels - I have never been a fan of 16" WRX alloys. Not sure what I will change them to..... maybe a set of Clubspec 9 wheels?

And of course the white guard. So some paint annnnd....

gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress the dumb cunts who painted the panel originally used enamel so the new paint crazed and I have to strip the guard back to metal or base coat with something that wont react with acrylic. Yaaaaaaaaay. Here I was thinking all I would need to do was give it a sand and it'll be fine.... only want to make it pass the 10 meter test.

That is rather annoying. Oh well, looks like tomorrow I have a lot of wet and dry sanding to do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Passes 10 meter test. It's horrible up close. I cant paint for poo poo - and yes a lot of sanding to try to get that even.

Other fun - failed driveshaft boot on the front. 96 driveshafts spare so.... umm....

Yeah, that didnt go well. Stupid subtle difference that took me an hour to figure out how to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Note: if its a GG8 or Gc8... I don't know and I don't look at ancient technology....

For a GDB:

05-07 STi Rear arms are 5mm longer than a WRX-Pre 04 STi So the car's track is 10mm wider on the rear. This Reduces your oversteer.

Yes, Reduces.

06 Spec C and those fantastic derivatives (s204 and RA-R) has the funky Pillow ball bush lateral arms. The Cars are also slightly shorter in wheelbase compared to a "Normal" WRX because the funky pink trailing arm is also shorter. This gives you a wheelbase that gets longer as the suspension squats and is hence more stable when you land the sucker from big air... at around 160KPh this becomes important.

All of the R180 hubs are identical in the rear, There is no such thing as a "wide track" front hub, the 02 on WRX and 05-07 STi are Identical in track. I've used a 180mm handbrake hub with the 160mm Disc and brakeshoes.

Now if you find a set of 2006 S204 front arms you may be pleasantly surprised they come with rose joints on the inner front bushes.

Yes, I have a set,......yes, I'm using them..... No, No one can have them :)

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 29, 2017