Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gen 2 has problems but I still think I'd rather play it then gen 3. I certainly remember it more fondly. Dropping the day/night cycle was super lame. Contests, berry growing and pokeblocks were all dumb and lame too. Yeah I said it. :colbert: Even though it was bad about using/showing off it's new pokemon, I like gen 2's set of pokemon a lot more then Gen 3s.

My lingering dislike for RSE was enough for me to almost skip OR/AS. That said, I'm glad I didn't, they were pretty solid, though I do wish they had been a bit less true to the originals and just upped the diversity/dex from the get-go rather then hiding them with the radar at the end of the game or w/e it was. Having a ton of legendaries available was a good move too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nth Doctor posted:

God are you loving wrong. This game is a death march. Heart Gold I fondly remember, and I just spent the last month grinding up my Platinum team in it as well.

That doesn't make any sense. If you're underleveled in Platinum you can just use the VS Seeker anywhere to get more experience. Moving everyone to a game that has underleveled wild Pokemon and trainers you can't reliably challenge again is much slower.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

TFRazorsaw posted:

That doesn't make any sense. If you're underleveled in Platinum you can just use the VS Seeker anywhere to get more experience. Moving everyone to a game that has underleveled wild Pokemon and trainers you can't reliably challenge again is much slower.

If I recall a previous post he was stuck in the distortion world, with nothing to train off of.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jade Mage posted:

If I recall a previous post he was stuck in the distortion world, with nothing to train off of.

That was it. I moved them to Mt Silver to grind on wild pokemon of slightly higher than their level with the xp bonus.
E: though I wasn't "stuck" per se. Vs Seeker could have possibly worked but battling Cyrus was like a brick wall.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Silver Falcon posted:

After getting as far as Goldenrod in Silver version on the 3DS, I can safely say that HG/SS get a lot more poo poo than they deserve.

Like, A LOT more. They fixed SO MUCH DUMB poo poo that was in the original. I keep thinking, as I go along "Why am I not playing Soul Silver again?" I don't remember Gen2 being this rough. I dunk on Gen1 a lot for being bad, but I didn't remember all the bad poo poo Gen2 still had in it. Level up movepools are still loving DIRE, the Pokemon selection still sucks, and a bunch of gym leaders don't even use ANY of the new Pokemon. What is this poo poo?

Yeeeeah... the early gens were good games in a lot of ways but also the franchise has improved a LOT over time. I'm mostly going to be using Silver for the shiny stuff, I think, since I've successfully bred shinies in Moon but it's a lot of work.

Also Lugia. Lugia is so weird, it looks like a whale pretending to be a bird??

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Crystal has a special place in my heard because it introduced being able to play a female protagonist. :)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

a better solution would still have been to put, for example, I dunno, Houndour before Ecruteak instead of Growlithe, and Murkrow in the same area at night instead of more Hoothoots and Noctowls.

Swarms were also a bad idea.
I've always believed that Houndour should have at least been found at the Ruins of Alph, kind of like the TCG suggests. You could have probably put Slugma in Union Cave or something a bit more inventive than an unrelated route, and Murkrow could be a fun fellow-night Pokemon in later routes (rather than just Noctowl).

Oh, and obviously Misdreavus someplace a bit more early on. At the very least put it in Tohjo Falls. That Sneasel wasn't originally in Ice Cave either is just dumb.

Also when the gently caress was Mega Metagross banned in OU, and why?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Golden Gael posted:

Smogon is full of cowards

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm personally upset that they banned Charizard from PU.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Generation 2 is not very good games, but playing them makes me like all Pokemon games better, so I don't know what the gently caress.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Crystal has a special place in my heard because it introduced being able to play a female protagonist. :)

hell yeah, i always played as Kris, her design is unironically my fav girl design in the whole series

but thats almost certainly nostalgia talking, tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i don't know how her hair works but i love it

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
I've been itching to replay Gale of Darkness, but I want to make the game a little/lot harder. I'm a bit bored of Nuzlockes at the moment, so I'm thinking of not purifying any shadow pokemon. I don't know how likely it is to succeed, since there doesn't seem to be a record of anyone doing this on the internet, but I figured it'd be at least worth a shot? I dunno.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't know how her hair works but i love it

:same:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vernatio posted:

I've been itching to replay Gale of Darkness, but I want to make the game a little/lot harder. I'm a bit bored of Nuzlockes at the moment, so I'm thinking of not purifying any shadow pokemon. I don't know how likely it is to succeed, since there doesn't seem to be a record of anyone doing this on the internet, but I figured it'd be at least worth a shot? I dunno.

If I recall correctly you have to purify one Pokemon (which will probably be Teddiursa) at the Relic Stone to advance the plot.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Vernatio posted:

FWIW I'm replaying Colosseum and basically swapping out my team as I go so as to trade up, and it sucks

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PetraCore posted:

Oh yeah, same here, friend. Why didn't they just use the Crystal girl trainer design for HG/SS? Lyra isn't nearly as cute. :(

Bongo Bill posted:

Generation 2 is not very good games, but playing them makes me like all Pokemon games better, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Yeah, if nothing else, playing this mess has made me appreciate the new games all the more.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The Golden Gael posted:

It was a good while back. I think the official reason is related to mega-evo's getting their speed boost immediately. I think it's more that the OU meta game with all it's Tapus and whatnot was weaker to Mega-gross than the X/Y metagame and Smogon refused to adapt. So really,

cheetah7071 posted:

Smogon is full of cowards

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
free blaziken

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah, same here, friend. Why didn't they just use the Crystal girl trainer design for HG/SS? Lyra isn't nearly as cute. :(
Lyra weirdly seemed too generic and softened compared to Kris, but part of that is the sharp sharp blobby pixels of Crystal. :B

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vernatio posted:

isn't there only like, 10 non-shadow pokemon, this seems insanely boring

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I think my favorite part of HG/SS is the aesthetic. The battle sprites were so darn colorful, and the overworld sprites and buildings had a really charming pallette that hasn't really been recreated again as the series moved more and more 3D.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chieves posted:

I think my favorite part of HG/SS is the aesthetic. The battle sprites were so darn colorful, and the overworld sprites and buildings had a really charming pallette that hasn't really been recreated again as the series moved more and more 3D.

Not gonna lie, those nice warm greens really stand out in my memory.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I did a bit of reading w/r/t breeding shiny 'mons, and I just wanted to check here if I understood properly...

If I breed a poke that I caught with a poke that I got from a trade that is from another language region, the egg will have an increased chance of being shiny?

Will breeding a shiny parent with another shiny parent give me a better shot at shiny poke hatching?

Never really tried much in the way of breeding shinys, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Hatching groups of eggs in Poke Pelago has made things a bit simpler for me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I assume you're talking about doing this in Sun and Moon.

The Zombie Guy posted:

If I breed a poke that I caught with a poke that I got from a trade that is from another language region, the egg will have an increased chance of being shiny?

Correct. If they're from different language regions, the odds of being shiny increase. It doesn't matter if you are the original trainer of either parent or not, however. (They will lay eggs more often if they are of the same species and if they have different OTs.)

Other things you can do to help: Get the Shiny Charm by completing the pokedex, to increase the probability of shiny pokemon appearing. Get the Oval Charm by beating Morimoto at least once, to increase the rate at which pokemon lay eggs. Make sure you've gotten egg moves and the right nature prepared in the parents so that the shiny will be usable.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Will breeding a shiny parent with another shiny parent give me a better shot at shiny poke hatching?

Incorrect. Either parent being shiny has no impact on the probability that the children will be shiny.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

The Golden Gael posted:

I've always believed that Houndour should have at least been found at the Ruins of Alph, kind of like the TCG suggests.

I'm not sure which one you're referring to but man Houndour has some nice art in the TCG.

And of course this masterpiece from Great Encounters:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nothing really ever tops "Sugimori character model photoshopped onto random background" as TCG art.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Golden Gael posted:

if you actually care, rather than just the usual thread passive-aggressive whining about competitive, here's the ban thread with a lot of different people's reasoning (as well as some people saying why they don't think the suspect was appropriate)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-sm-ou-suspect-process-round-4-the-robots-metagrossite-banned.3602385/

tl;dr - it has insane damage and bulk for its speed, and since it has so many coverage options you basically need to play perfectly to not just randomly lose important parts of your team, even rando poo poo like HP (Fire), but the MegaGross player can usually just click whatever (especially meteor mash)

i dont play enough OU to have an opinion on it but there you go

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm not really at all familiar with the metagame, but even with Mega Metagross being your only option a 700 BST on something that isn't gonna die to everything like Kyrurem or a gimmick like Regigas/Slaking seems kind of gross.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they banned mega metageoss because its ugly

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

oddium posted:

they banned mega metageoss because its ugly

And they left the tapus in because....?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
more like Mega Metagorgeous

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Countblanc posted:

cant wait to catch a swarm of, uh, quilfish

Coincidentally, the virtual console release of the Gold and Silver games means that Qwilfish and Sentret are finally available with their hidden abilities since Gen 5's Dream World got shut down.

But really, that's kind of the main reason to slog through these ancient games: transferring the Pokemon into the current generation where they can truly shine.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Fleeing Pokemon was a mistake
why can the 1% Snubbull just up and run away?

Still kinda like this relic of a game

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, I wish getting the ideal pokemon wasn't such a hassle. I ended up lucking into a shiny eevee in Sun - I think it was from doing call for help chains for an hidden ability Eevee. Of course, the shiny doesn't have the hidden ability. Even then, ideally I'd love to make it into a hyper voice sylveon, but I'd need to do that in ORAS. Unless they add the move tutors to USUM.

Started playing Heart Gold on my work commute - forgot that they made you wait a bit for pokeballs. Really appreciate how quickly new gens let you start catching.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We all hope they'll have tutors in USUM.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hope they don't

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

iospace posted:

I hope they don't

gently caress off, b*tch,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Oxyclean posted:

Ugh, I wish getting the ideal pokemon wasn't such a hassle. I ended up lucking into a shiny eevee in Sun - I think it was from doing call for help chains for an hidden ability Eevee. Of course, the shiny doesn't have the hidden ability. Even then, ideally I'd love to make it into a hyper voice sylveon, but I'd need to do that in ORAS. Unless they add the move tutors to USUM.

Luckly, Eevee has the option of evolving into something that isn't a Sylveon and doesn't need to rely on a hard to get move/ability combo. Other Pokemon don't.