Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Shakespeare Cinematic Universe.

Dear god what have you done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I really like the idea of a Shakespeare cinematic universe. Seriously. No irony here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FELD1 posted:

I really like the idea of a Shakespeare cinematic universe. Seriously. No irony here.

If they're going to do it they need to really embrace it, go all out. No holds bard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Clearly with the inclusion of Cyrano this isn't a Shakespeare Cinematic Universe, it's more akin to a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen mashup of different authors. Which is very exciting, because I'm champing at the bit to see Hamlet match wits with The Count of Monte Cristo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Shakespeare Cinematic Universe

That's been around for a long time now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Taking two existing things and mashing them together, finally an original idea!

Here let me try

(Hamlet holds a knife, contemplating suicide)
Hamlet: To be... or not to be. That is the question.
(suddenly a mysterious stranger bursts into the room)
???: Is that a dagger I see before me?
Hamlet: Who are you!?
Macbeth: I'm Macbeth, the King of Scotland. And I'm here to stop you from making a terrible mistake. There are dark forces controlling our lives. Tell me, in your travels... have you ever come across a bard by the name of William Shakespeare?

Art thou assembling a troupe?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yond's mine own secret, Romeo. I'm at each moment the Moor.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

Clearly with the inclusion of Cyrano this isn't a Shakespeare Cinematic Universe, it's more akin to a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen mashup of different authors. Which is very exciting, because I'm champing at the bit to see Hamlet match wits with The Count of Monte Cristo.

The League of High School English Class

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

got any sevens posted:

Art thou assembling a troupe?

Wherefore art thou Shakespeare?

*Shakespeare does kickass flips and twirls with spear*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Mann posted:

You know the premise of Jumanji where a bunch of high school kids get sucked into an Atari 2600 game and become The Rock, Jack Black, etc? And it looks like poo poo?

You could do a similar movie where they're high school kids who hate Shakespeare and get sucked into an Atari 2600 Shakespeare game and become all their favorite Shakespeare protagonists, only to learn they're actually all metal as gently caress. Murder and treachery and poison and melodrama!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Taintrunner posted:

That's been around for a long time now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

Schwarzenegger passed on a buddy comedy where he plays Freud and Woody Allen plays Carl Jung to make Last Action Hero, so I'm always going to hold that against Last Action Hero.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The witches from The Crucible swoop into the attic from The Glass Menagerie, but it's too late. Our heroes have already fled on Ethan Frome's toboggan and The Invisible Man's thousand of lightbulbs vaporize them instantly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Punkin Spunkin posted:

you've suddenly got me hyped for the Shakespeare Cinematic Universe. I'm just picturing Titus showing up in the next scene.

guess what is basically already a thing that exists

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Is it any good? Seems like a no brainer to buy the rights to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

George Lucas financed the Young Indiana Jones DVDs by selling them to history classes with documentaries attached. I can see a similar strategy here.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hey, he's got that Max Landis film that poses the definitely not corny & worn out proposition "WHAT IF BROWN PEOPLE WERE LIKE, ORCS, MAN"
they should stop fuckin with whatever the gently caress shadowrun is and adapt some Michael Swanwick if they want that sorta poo poo.

Have you seen that trailer? The whole thing is Shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off it ain't funny. Like "Topps should sue" types of similarities.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Speaking of Max Landis being bad:

Max Landis Speaking on his Space Mountain script posted:

Another cool thing was the idea that when you come back from light speed, you’re 9 and a half grams lighter but you seem normal. Then slowly over the course of a day, it turns out that the human soul can’t travel at light speed. So whole ships come back with people with no souls who seem normal but then turn into horrible monsters — no wonder this movie didn’t get made.

Uh, sure dude. What a tragedy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Have you seen that trailer? The whole thing is Shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off it ain't funny. Like "Topps should sue" types of similarities.

People keep saying this and I don't loving understand it. I'm not an expert on Shadowrun, but isn't it Cyber-punk fantasy? The Landis flick is modern fantasy. Like Tolkien is 'What if there were orcs and elves in 1097?" Shadowrun is "What if there were orcs and elves in 20XX?" and Bright is "What if there were orcs and elves right now?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

People keep saying this and I don't loving understand it. I'm not an expert on Shadowrun, but isn't it Cyber-punk fantasy? The Landis flick is modern fantasy. Like Tolkien is 'What if there were orcs and elves in 1097?" Shadowrun is "What if there were orcs and elves in 20XX?" and Bright is "What if there were orcs and elves right now?"

Given how poo poo some of the limitations of shadowrun technology are its almost more akin to a historical period piece with fantasy at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I mean I actually don't think that's a bad idea precisely. The idea that faster-than-light travel has a disturbing but invisible effect on people is actually one that could be fun but has been explored better in other stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Idiot doesn't know how much a human soul weighs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barudak posted:

Given how poo poo some of the limitations of shadowrun technology are its almost more akin to a historical period piece with fantasy at this point.

It was first written in the 80's or early 90's right? Older sci-fi is great because they have all these amazing machines that do amazing things, but no one predicted cell-phones or how loving ubiquitous they would be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I did not expect the soul thing, especially since 9.5 grams is not the usual soul weight that comes up (where did Landis get that?) so after I read the bolded part I was expecting something different:

feedmyleg posted:

Another cool thing was the idea that when you come back from light speed, you’re 9 and a half grams lighter but you seem normal. Then slowly over the course of many trips, it turns out that the human body just gets smaller and smaller. So whole ships come back with tiny people who were otherwise normal but have turned into horrible Lilliputian monsters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It was first written in the 80's or early 90's right? Older sci-fi is great because they have all these amazing machines that do amazing things, but no one predicted cell-phones or how loving ubiquitous they would be.

Yeah, but has been continuously updated but not in line at the rate our world does which has resulted in, iirc, the most recent version getting rid of wifi because people didnt like the mechanical changes it introduced in the previous version. Shadowrun is actually getting less advanced as it goes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, a modern-day story, without cyberware, with no apparent focus on corporate villainy, in which the hero is a cop, is not particularly Shadowrun, an orc holding a gun notwithstanding.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The plot (as featured in a trailer) features magical Macguffins being lusted over by everyone and a diverse hit trio out to get back the Macguffin, lead by an elf woman who might as well be the street samurai or physical adept of the team. Like literally a Shadowrun team tasked to get the item back from Smith and Edgerton. Also, the pair go underground and start hiding among gangs when even the cops are corrupt.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, a modern-day story, without cyberware, with no apparent focus on corporate villainy, in which the hero is a cop, is not particularly Shadowrun, an orc holding a gun notwithstanding.

One of the bad guys is a rich elf (or fey, I forget what Landis calls them) trying to keep the magical Macguffin from human hands and back in their own.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 26, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

I mean, when you strip all the really gonzo poo poo from 20XX you end up with right now, basically.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

One of the bad guys is a rich elf (or fey, I forget what Landis calls them) trying to keep the magical Macguffin from human hands and back in their own.

Yeah? Okay, that bit is pretty Shadowrun.

I think the lack of cyberpunk keeps it from being a total ripoff, though we'll see. Good Time did a pretty good job hitting those themes with nothing more than a smartphone with a low battery.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah? Okay, that bit is pretty Shadowrun.

I think the lack of cyberpunk keeps it from being a total ripoff, though we'll see. Good Time did a pretty good job hitting those themes with nothing more than a smartphone with a low battery.

Yeah, the thing about Bright, as it looks now, is that it doesn't just do the whole "orcs and elves are minorities" thing, but that trailer pretty much features the same tropes seen in Shadowrun's material, too. Give Landis' geek cred, I wouldn't be surprised if he had been exposed to it in the past and just forgot about it, similar to Scott Westerfield's "Uglies" series being partly inspired by the Twilight Zone episode "You Look Just Like Number 12", even down to people getting tailored looks for their profession and lobotomies being part of the procedure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lobok posted:

I did not expect the soul thing, especially since 9.5 grams is not the usual soul weight that comes up (where did Landis get that?) so after I read the bolded part I was expecting something different:

I think it means that after 3 full trips it's stripped you of your soul? Which, yeah, I mean, I don't disagree that it might be an idea worth exploring elsewhere. But what the gently caress does it have to do with Space Mountain?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

I think it means that after 3 full trips it's stripped you of your soul? Which, yeah, I mean, I don't disagree that it might be an idea worth exploring elsewhere. But what the gently caress does it have to do with Space Mountain?

Halloween time, Space Mountain has this neat horror theme. I'd imagine it's a homage to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBAgVPwfevs

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

George Lucas financed the Young Indiana Jones DVDs by selling them to history classes with documentaries attached. I can see a similar strategy here.

They were pretty good documentaries too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Totally. Rewatched some episodes recently and watched the documentaries after just for kicks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The dumb thing about Young Indy is that when it initially got released on VHS in 1999 they only released a portion of the episodes. They were going to release the rest some time in 2000/2001, but stopped. Thing is now that I own the DVDs I can confidently say that almost all of the good episodes were released on VHS in 2009. The leftovers weren't that great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Were the VHSs edited like the DVDs? The original broadcast versions had the terrible cheesy bookends with Old Indy that got cut, and a bunch of new footage was shot to connect episodes into mini movies. A couple of them feel forced, but overall I really like the effect and it makes them feel more cinematic and gives them breathing room.

It's a terrific show and I wish it had been broadcast that way originally. Then we probably would have gotten the full 3rd season and likely a 4th with Belloq and Indy in college learning archeology :smith:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Were the VHSs edited like the DVDs? The original broadcast versions had the terrible cheesy bookends with Old Indy that got cut, and a bunch of new footage was shot to connect episodes into mini movies. A couple of them feel forced, but overall I really like the effect and it makes them feel more cinematic and gives them breathing room.

It's a terrific show and I wish it had been broadcast that way originally. Then we probably would have gotten the full 3rd season and likely a 4th with Belloq and Indy in college learning archeology :smith:
Yeah. All that work was done but then they sat on it for 9 years. The VHS release didn't get any documentary stuff, so there is that.

They reedited an episode one time to be part of an ABC Family special, and poo poo new footage. This doesn't work so well when you're working with kids though. In the first half of the episode Corey Carrier is 9 or 10, for the awkward bridging sequence and new second half he's 14 or maybe 15 pretending to be 10

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 26, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

As you pass the boundry to light speed, a photonic gypsy strokes your cheek and whispers "thinner..."

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Phil Lord & Christopher Miller will direct the adaptation of the new book by the author of The Martian, Artemis

quote:

Crown describes Artemis as an adrenaline-charged crime caper that features smart, detailed world-building based on real science. It centers on Jasmine Bashara, aka Jazz, just another too-smart, directionless twentysomething chafing at the constraints of her small town and dreaming of a better life. Except the small town happens to be named Artemis — and it’s the first and only city on the moon. She’s got debts to pay, her job as a porter barely covers the rent, and her budding career as a smuggler isn’t exactly setting her up as a kingpin, much to her disappointment. So when the chance at a life-changing score drops in her lap, Jazz can’t say no, and she finds herself in the middle of a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/phil-lord-christopher-miller-artemis-the-martian-author-andy-weir-the-lego-movie-21-jump-street-fox-1202177263/

There has been attempts to make a Clifford the Big Red Dog movie for years (or even dog years, muhahahaha!, once again inching forward with the guy who directed the 4th Chipmunks movie attached, Walt Becker, who also directed Old Dogs and Wild Hogs.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/clifford-big-red-dog-movie-finds-director-1042743

The 4 Avatar sequels have begun filming for $1 billion, which will be a bargain.

Ninjago bombed with only $21.2 million and now everyone who borrows headlines from reddit to write movie articles is talking about how over the Lego Movie franchise is.

Also boycott the Drafthouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ninjago was a weird rear end movie.

• Locked thread