Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waffleman_ posted:

I like that Siri gets a cast credit in LEGO Batman. That's cute.

Though it will always be weird that Ralph Fiennes is in the movie yet does not reprise Voldemort.

But we got Eddie Izzard as Voldemort and that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
With the exception of Batman himself every character in LEGO Batman was a new and more comedic casting, having Voldemort be the exception would be weird. It would be like if the dude who played Hitler in Downfall also played Hitler in Danger 5.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked Doug Benson as Bane.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

With the exception of Batman himself every character in LEGO Batman was a new and more comedic casting, having Voldemort be the exception would be weird. It would be like if the dude who played Hitler in Downfall also played Hitler in Danger 5.

Are you kidding, that would be hilarious

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Moon Atari posted:

Basically think of it like seeing a trailer for a new take on Winnie the Pooh and instead of the character you are familiar with winnie is yelling "radical" while doing sick skateboard tricks and vaping honey.

I'm not saying it would be good but I kind of want to see this just because the picture in my head is loving hilarious

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
So it turns out that Neo Yokio show was originally meant for the Animation Domination High Def block and was ready to air last year, but when the block was cancelled it went unaired until Netflix picked it up

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They had a showing at work with the intent of everyone making fun of it. I didn't go. I instead spent an hour talking to three coworkers about how bee dicks explode.
I stand by my decision.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's irredeemable as a piece of animation but the jokes still worked for me. It also has a really weird setting with stuff like Kowloon Walled City existing in Queens and Japan having combined with Italy to form "Giappone." Jason Schwartzman is the single best voice performance in it, and that's not meant as faint praise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How does Ninjago compare to the previous Lego movies?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ninjago is pretty bad. I don't recommend it. It is painfully crippled by its source material.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it feels like this is the first of the Lego movies that's explicitly a kids' movie. A specific line of the toys isn't going to have as much reach or appeal as Batman or The Concept Of LEGO.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it feels like this is the first of the Lego movies that's explicitly a kids' movie. A specific line of the toys isn't going to have as much reach or appeal as Batman or The Concept Of LEGO.

No, I mean they have to waste at least 80 percent of the film introducing the premise of Ninjago, which isn't very good to start with, and then dismantling the premise so they can try to tell a story. There's no time for the story because they're trying to work in what the hell "spinjutsu" is when it's stupid and nobody cares. e.g. this crap:

quote:

Dragons have always been a significant part of Ninjago. A Dragon was introduced for all four original ninja (Kai, Jay, Cole, Zane). Later, the dragons migrated to the Spirit Coves and combined into one four-headed Ultra Dragon. This dragon was soon used by the Green Ninja, Lloyd Garmadon. Ninjago later introduced into the sets the Golden Dragon, an ancient fighting animal given to Lloyd passed down by the First Spinjitzu Master after he found his true potential, The Ultimite Spinjitzu Master; the MechDragon, a cybernetic creature built by the Digital Overlord to capture the Golden Ninja, Lloyd; the Titanium Dragon, an elemental dragon belonging to the Titanium Ninja, Zane; the Morro Dragon, a dragon belonging to Morro, Master of Wind; Jay's Elemental Dragon, a model of the dragon belonging to Jay, Master of Lightning; and the Green Ninja Mech Dragon, Lloyd's mechanical dragon from The Lego Ninjago Movie. Every Dragon's head (except for the MechDragon, the Titanium Dragon, the Master Wu Dragon, the Morro Dragon and the Green Ninja Mech Dragon) launches a sphere shaped projectile. (All of the dragons listed in the paragraph above have corresponding Lego sets)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
On an unrelated note: Fritz the Cat is a deeply unpleasant and gross movie, and I kind of loving love it the more I think about it. Most of the movie is either filler or outright horrible (the whole bit with the Nazi terrorists is just staggeringly awful to watch), but there's a surprising amount of the movie that's just straight fuckin' fire.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Just saw Ninjago, I enjoyed most of it. It's clearly meant for younger audiences (not that that's a bad thing) and it's not as good as The Lego Movie or The Lego Batman movie, but I'm still glad I saw it.

I do have one major complaint about the movie though: Much like The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman movie Ninjago has a theme of "Daddy issues". That part is fine, it was done well in the other two movies so I didn't have a problem with it at first. Except as the movie went on I became increasingly uncomfortable with the way it was being handled. See, in the other movies it's the lovely father who has to learned how to be a better person for his son. In this movie the son has to learned how to be a better person (despite already being a hero) to help his lovely dad. The son has a lot of valid reasons to hate his father, and the father never makes any effort to change on his own, and yet the climax of the movie is the son magically turning his father good by "loving him even harder" despite the father repeatedly abandoning and betraying him. That's kind of a hosed up message to send to kids "Children, listen: if your parent abandons and hurts you the trick to getting them to stop is to just love them REALLY hard!". Sometimes biological parents are just horrible people, it's not their children's responsibility to fix them or continue to help them after they repeatedly hurt you. Your lovely parents either need to learn to be better people on their own or, if they refuse to change, you need to cut them out of your life.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

No, I mean they have to waste at least 80 percent of the film introducing the premise of Ninjago, which isn't very good to start with, and then dismantling the premise so they can try to tell a story. There's no time for the story because they're trying to work in what the hell "spinjutsu" is when it's stupid and nobody cares. e.g. this crap:

i read that entire quote and now I'm on the spectrum

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Just saw Ninjago, I enjoyed most of it. It's clearly meant for younger audiences (not that that's a bad thing) and it's not as good as The Lego Movie or The Lego Batman movie, but I'm still glad I saw it.

I do have one major complaint about the movie though: Much like The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman movie Ninjago has a theme of "Daddy issues". That part is fine, it was done well in the other two movies so I didn't have a problem with it at first. Except as the movie went on I became increasingly uncomfortable with the way it was being handled. See, in the other movies it's the lovely father who has to learned how to be a better person for his son. In this movie the son has to learned how to be a better person (despite already being a hero) to help his lovely dad. The son has a lot of valid reasons to hate his father, and the father never makes any effort to change on his own, and yet the climax of the movie is the son magically turning his father good by "loving him even harder" despite the father repeatedly abandoning and betraying him. That's kind of a hosed up message to send to kids "Children, listen: if your parent abandons and hurts you the trick to getting them to stop is to just love them REALLY hard!". Sometimes biological parents are just horrible people, it's not their children's responsibility to fix them or continue to help them after they repeatedly hurt you. Your lovely parents either need to learn to be better people on their own or, if they refuse to change, you need to cut them out of your life.

I get the sense that would have been better fleshed out if they had more than 20 seconds to try to fit that entire arc in while still showing off a range of stupid mechs piloted by characters we don't have time to care about.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I get the sense that would have been better fleshed out if they had more than 20 seconds to try to fit that entire arc in while still showing off a range of stupid mechs piloted by characters we don't have time to care about.

Yeah, all the non-green ninjas definitely had a "We don't really know what to do with this character and we've written a story where they aren't needed, but screw it they're part of the toyline so just throw them in anyway" vibe

I liked ice robot though, his gimmick was cute :3: and he's the only one who seemed like he might have an interesting backstory.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trolls was clever enough to ensure that the marketing-mandated superfluous toyline characters were safely offscreen as much as humanly possible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Unrelatedly, I finally got my hands on some production work on Beast. I am pleased as Pick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Unrelated but goddamn is the cannonball scene at the end of Kung Fu Panda 2 loving awesome

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pick posted:

Unrelatedly, I finally got my hands on some production work on Beast

I was watching BatB on the weekend and it occurred to me that Beast fighting the wolves is Tod fighting the bear. Checks out since Glen Keane was lead for Beast and the bear in The Fox and the Hound was his first lead gig for Disney

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Macaluso posted:

Unrelated but goddamn is the cannonball scene at the end of Kung Fu Panda 2 loving awesome

It's also really pretty. I love pretty much that entire sequence. The confused look on Shen's face when he can't hear Po, the awesome fight, the bit with the wolves, and that great finale.

It really is my favorite of the bunch. Even with this thread's great posts on the first movie.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's based on the most 1902 british quaint children's story you can possibly imagine and the trailer is not quaint, british or olde timey.

Like that time Disney did the live action Winnie the Pooh where Pooh and Tigger have an epic rap battle

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just realized that Ratatouille is absolutely an adaptation of Anatole, which Brad Bird would know of since he worked at Disney when they were making Great Mouse Detective based on Basil of Baker Street, the second most famous series about rodents by Eve Titus, after Anatole.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/913191747701833728

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
insert lens flare joke

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

insert lens flare joke

Wouldnt be a joke, itd be an improvement on that poo poo heap of a film.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Wouldnt be a joke, itd be an improvement on that poo poo heap of a film.

Yeah, I'm like, can't make that loving film any worse.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

might be time to pile out of the hot take wagon, if you're going to act like your name wasn't visually impressive.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

dogsicle posted:

might be time to pile out of the hot take wagon, if you're going to act like your name wasn't visually impressive.

It's pretty, but it's boring. Pretty can only hold your attention for so long.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

It's pretty, but it's boring. Pretty can only hold your attention for so long.

sure, but I don't see how it follows that Hollywood would somehow make that story any more interesting while trading all the visual strength of the original for live-action and cg.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dogsicle posted:

sure, but I don't see how it follows that Hollywood would somehow make that story any more interesting while trading all the visual strength of the original for live-action and cg.

Well itll cut the perving out if I past JJ Abrams joints are indicative and itll likely build their relationship better and possible make the main male character less stupid and make the film the romantic Frequency knockoff it desperately wants to be so yeah.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
man if i went by this thread that movie is apparently japanese gigli and a 4.0 on imdb

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

man if i went by this thread that movie is apparently japanese gigli and a 4.0 on imdb

It's anime. Goons hate anime, largely.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

It's got some warts but as anime goes it's not THAT bad. It's pretty, has a few good scenes and will make you feel feelings at the end. I've watched way worse just this week.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I also watched the CG Peanuts movie this week. It was much better than Your Name.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Normally box office taking and IMDB ratings are used as an illustration of how dumb normal audiences are but in the case of "Freaky Friday with boob touching and an unearned apocalyptic third act" it actually shows that it is objectively good and actually you're the weird one for not liking it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

Normally box office taking and IMDB ratings are used as an illustration of how dumb normal audiences are but in the case of "Freaky Friday with boob touching and an unearned apocalyptic third act" it actually shows that it is objectively good and actually you're the weird one for not liking it.

he's saying that the thread makes it sound like it's something that would get 4.0 on imdb, not that it is (it's 8.5)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

he's saying that the thread makes it sound like it's something that would get 4.0 on imdb, not that it is (it's 8.5)

That's exactly what I'm making fun of. IMDB's user ratings being a quagmire have been a punchline for like two decades now, deciding that they're actually cool and good just because it props up a movie you like is very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Guy Mann posted:

That's exactly what I'm making fun of. IMDB's user ratings being a quagmire have been a punchline for like two decades now, deciding that they're actually cool and good just because it props up a movie you like is very funny.

oh I misread