Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hot sauce posted:

Isn't it legal to just use hand signals in place of blinkers in some states?

I think everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
If this is a law, it must be some local or state regulation. I rode a bike without a speedometer (no gauges, just handlebar) for years. I was pulled over more than once (for speeding even) and it was never mentioned other than a passing "how do you tell how fast you are going?"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh ffs not another "well in MY state" free for all

in Colorado we have to have head/taillights, a horn, and speedometer. we pump our own gas, get 3.2 beer only in grocery stores, and green chili has pork in it for some dumb reason

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In MY state you have to get your vehicle safety inspected for egregious poo poo like a missing speedo and we also can't buy firearms at k-mart.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

In MY state every motorized vehicle has to have a pair of reflective trucknutz and the only piece of gear you're required to wear while on a motorcycle is a backwards top hat

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

get 3.2 beer only in grocery stores,

I found this out the hard way when I moved to CO. Who even buys alcohol at grocery stores knowing this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hot sauce posted:

I found this out the hard way when I moved to CO. Who even buys alcohol at grocery stores knowing this

You can buy weed in CO though so it evens out

tjones
May 13, 2005
The important question is: can you buy it in grocery stores yet? If not, I feel like that is a market begging to be exploited.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
In MY state we can get beer (7%+ too) in chain movie theaters and at food carts AND you can buy weed too.

Also I think bikes here are required to have headlights or license plates or some weird poo poo, I dunno.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

In MY state you have to get your vehicle safety inspected for egregious poo poo like a missing speedo and we also can't buy firearms at k-mart.

We can't either any more. :( (K-Mart closed)

tjones
May 13, 2005
RIP buying a wedding ring, shotgun, and cheap miscellaneous house hold items at the same place.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

tjones posted:

RIP buying a wedding ring, shotgun, and cheap miscellaneous house hold items at the same place.

Have you Heard the Word of our Lord and Saviour Wal-Mart?

tjones
May 13, 2005
I have no idea how that slipped my mind. I completely forgot Walmart sold jewelry.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Beach Bum posted:

Have you Heard the Word of our Lord and Saviour Wal-Mart?

Wal-mart sucks dicks because they force you to go to three different counters if you're buying liquor, ammunition, and snacks. The register jockeys are prevented in software from processing alcohol at the ammo counter and vice versa. The alcohol counter ONLY does alcohol, apparently.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lemme tell you all about PA and its state run monopoly on liquor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Lemme tell you all about PA and its state run monopoly on liquor.

PA is weird. So is VA though. All liquor stores are owned by the state, and you can only get liquor in those stores. Beer and wine can be bought pmuch everywhere though. Grocery stores, walmart, and beer/wine stores. You can't buy beer from a bar and bring it home usually. Some bars get an off-premise license and allow you to do growler fills, but they never sell cans to go. Some beer/wine stores do growler fills and also have canning machines to sell you canned keg beer. VA also has a cork and carry law for wine but not beer. You can open a bottle of wine in the bar, drink some, quark it and bring it home with you. You cannot buy bottles of liquor at the bar, but you can buy shots and drinks and drink them there.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
SC goons can tell me if I'm off base here, but last time I was at a bar in South Carolina they didn't serve booze from full-sized bottles. If you ordered a mixed drink they made it with the little one-shot airline bottles.

My dad has stories about driving down from Nebraska to Kansas for beer runs back in the early 60s as a teenager, because they could only get near beer at 18 in Nebraska but Kansas would sell you what passed for real beer then. Drinking age has obviously been bumped to 21 since.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jazzzzz posted:

SC goons can tell me if I'm off base here, but last time I was at a bar in South Carolina they didn't serve booze from full-sized bottles. If you ordered a mixed drink they made it with the little one-shot airline bottles.

My dad has stories about driving down from Nebraska to Kansas for beer runs back in the early 60s as a teenager, because they could only get near beer at 18 in Nebraska but Kansas would sell you what passed for real beer then. Drinking age has obviously been bumped to 21 since.

You just either went to a weird bar or there was a hurricane and all the liquor got cleaned out by people preparing to ride it out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In Wisconsin every establishment sells beer and you can get like 10 DUI's before you get in any real trouble.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In Wisconsin every establishment sells beer and you can get like 10 DUI's before you get in any real trouble.

Up until the mid-2000's your first DUI was a misdemeanor, and usually the second was reduced to that as well. Teaching MSF in the far west hinterlands of Wisconsin from 2008 - 2012 was hilarious. Big ol' burly riders bragging about the number of miles they have on their bike:
"I've got almost 10,000s mile on my Harley FLSTVHIJKLMNOP."
"What year is it?"
"It's a 2000, I put tons of mile on 'er."

And loads of stories about coming home from the bars at whatever A.M in the morning dodging sudden cows in the road. "I wasn't drunk, I swear!"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
In MY state I've failed people on state inspections for not having a speedo. Not sure I've ever caught one that had a broken speedo unless it was obvious like it had a cable driven speedo and the cable was hanging loose.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Colorado we have to have head/taillights, a horn, and speedometer. we pump our own gas, get 3.2 beer only in grocery stores, and green chili has pork in it for some dumb reason

Green chile sucks anyways. The New Mexicans have always kept the real secret close at hand - red chile.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

call to action posted:

Green chile sucks anyways. The New Mexicans have always kept the real secret close at hand - red chile.

shut up there's no red chile

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

shut up there's no red chile

Yeah, Pinochet pretty much took care of that.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

...drat

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
[quote="“Finger Prince”" post="“476666133”"]
[/quote]

wow

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Went on a motorcycle ride with one of my girlfriend's friends. She has a ninja 250 and I'm on a CBR600F4i. I take the lead for the first quarter of the journey. I have no working speedometer so I just go a bit faster than traffic and hope for the best. Apparently that is too slow for her monster 250 so she takes lead and hoons it down the highway at 80-90 in a 55. I follow because what else am I suppose to do.
We get on 695 cruising at a reasonable speed now. She decided she wanted to get over 2 lanes so she checks once, gets over in the next lane, waits about 5 seconds and then blindly moves into the next lane. But that lane is now occupied by a F150 and she is literally inches from being under it. She notices at the last second and tries jerking the fork back right and wobbles hard before regaining control and moving back over. Legit almost watched a girl die. I don't think I'll be riding with her again.

Then on the way home half the highway was shutdown and when we got up to the front we saw a biker that slammed into the guardrail :gibs:. Spooky evening.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Riding through a bunch of falling leaves at night feels like making the jump to hyperspace.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

deoju posted:

Riding through a bunch of falling leaves at night feels like making the jump to hyperspace.

Same goes for snow, especially at night.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same goes for snow, especially at night.

Unless it's wet snow and it splaps on your visor, then it's more like being in subspace

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Unless it's wet snow and it splaps on your visor, then it's more like being in subspace

Rode through heavy wet sleet the other week. Come to think of it, it was a bit like the Upside Down (and I had a moment where I might have ended up that way), only with cows instead of demogorgons.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Phy posted:

I turn around when my mountain roads have ice or snow patches, riding while it's snowing sounds horrible. Am I missing something? I don't main the rain, but I can feel the difference in traction, and I thought snow would be even worse.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I turn around when my mountain roads have ice or snow patches, riding while it's snowing sounds horrible. Am I missing something? I don't main the rain, but I can feel the difference in traction, and I thought snow would be even worse.

We didn't really have a choice. By the time we hit the sleet, we were on the other side of Highwood pass, heading to Longview. Even then it wasn't sticking to the road. It's just like heavy rain if it isn't settling. And then, just outside of Longview, it started settling. It was my first time riding in a snow flurry and horrible gross sleet storm. The flurry was neat and not really worrisome. The sleet was awful. But it made for a bit of adventure!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

If it's light/wet enough to not build up on the ground then it's fine, it's just like extra cold rain. The real problem in rain and snow (and mist, which is worse than either) is that they make people stupid. People drive even worse than usual in poor weather, trying to be extra cautious but only succeeding in being extra jumpy and unpredictable.

But yeah fallen snow is terrible and your decision to not go into the mountains when you see any is perfectly sensible, because you never know what could be under it or whether it might indicate ice further up.

e/ I wondered if I still had this video lying around. This is my commute from a year and a half ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N4Ag6RWqtY

Immediately after the video cuts out (because my camera got so cold it died) it gets worse. It's passable, but I spent the whole time bricking it that I was going to hit a hidden ice patch or a nail or a pothole. That I didn't is ridiculously good luck because those things were definitely there to hit. DON'T BE ME.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 27, 2017

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This looks horrible to ride in, I'm cold just looking at it. The weird thing about my local mountain road is it can be 80 degrees at the bottom, then you go around a turn, hit a north facing slope, and the temperature instantly drops and you'll see patches of snow and ice.

In other news, my bike that felt terrifyingly fast at first now feels a bit slow in the straights. I've started convincing myself that balancing the throttle bodies is going to magically wake up another 20 HP. At least I still have a long way to go in terms of turning.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MomJeans420 posted:

This looks horrible to ride in, I'm cold just looking at it. The weird thing about my local mountain road is it can be 80 degrees at the bottom, then you go around a turn, hit a north facing slope, and the temperature instantly drops and you'll see patches of snow and ice.

In other news, my bike that felt terrifyingly fast at first now feels a bit slow in the straights. I've started convincing myself that balancing the throttle bodies is going to magically wake up another 20 HP. At least I still have a long way to go in terms of turning.

That looks absolutely terrible.

Also regarding speed; it's just like any other drug. You start to develop a tolerance and have to start pushing the envelope.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Alternatively go back to a 125 for a bit.

e/ not to get all Four Yorkshiremen but I feel like mentioning that in that clip I was still running perforated leather summer gloves because that's all I had and I was too broke to do anything but press my nose up against the shop window of anywhere selling electric gloves, so less than halfway into this hour long ride my fingers felt like they were falling off. Also the bike was still rolling on the ancient hard rubber (3 years garaged) it came with, one of the carbs was pissing gas and the fuel gauge was broken unplugged so I had no idea if I was about to be stranded in the hills above a town only known for being the place an innocent goth was murdered for looking different.

Also this was only ~2 months after I got my licence and bought the 600. It really is a loving miracle I didn't have an accident. The whole situation was unbelievably stupid and I absolutely should not have been there.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 28, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

Alternatively go back to a 125 for a bit.

Literally cannot wait to have a grom.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think I'd crush a Grom if I fully sat on one. There was one at the Honda dealer near me when I went in for something earlier this year, but it was sold so I just straddled it to see how it was for size instead of sitting fully on it and it felt so little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PCOS Bill posted:

I think I'd crush a Grom if I fully sat on one. There was one at the Honda dealer near me when I went in for something earlier this year, but it was sold so I just straddled it to see how it was for size instead of sitting fully on it and it felt so little.

Yeah, me too, yet they look like fun. I have a local Grom rider who returns my "motorcyclist wave" with a wheelie. Every time. I like that.