Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Frog Act posted:

- any other cities that have people around?

Freeport/EC is the main hub of the server pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frog Act posted:

So I played on Al'Kabor for like a year when EQMac was still live (I got to level 30ish) so I'm used to playing EQ classic without maps and stuff. But to be clear, P1999 doesn't have the planes of power or anything, so making my way from Halas to a place with actual players on my Barb Shaman would be extremely difficult, right? I'm contemplating starting a Magician or a Bard somewhere in Kelethin/Faydark since I assume there will be people there to help me on my way - any other cities that have people around? I loved EQMac and this seems pretty similar so I'm keen to give it a go, I'm just not used to playing without the Plane of Knowledge as a central gathering point.

If you want to play a barb shaman, stick around Halas soloing until level 8 imo. Then you can train meditate and will hopefully have enough money to buy your level 9 spells. At that point you can make it to the areas surrounding EC and Gfay reasonably easily as long as you're careful. The only tough part is getting through Highhold Pass, where you'll probably need to sit at the zoneline for a bit until someone passes through and you can ask them for an invis past the gnolls/orcs.

You can also get to EC/Oasis a lot more easily if you instead play a troll/ogre shaman, and Iksar shamans have plenty of grouping opportunities in the field of bone/kurn's tower.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Frog Act posted:

So I played on Al'Kabor for like a year when EQMac was still live (I got to level 30ish) so I'm used to playing EQ classic without maps and stuff. But to be clear, P1999 doesn't have the planes of power or anything, so making my way from Halas to a place with actual players on my Barb Shaman would be extremely difficult, right? I'm contemplating starting a Magician or a Bard somewhere in Kelethin/Faydark since I assume there will be people there to help me on my way - any other cities that have people around? I loved EQMac and this seems pretty similar so I'm keen to give it a go, I'm just not used to playing without the Plane of Knowledge as a central gathering point.

My druid is bound in Qeynos, if you want a barb rogue but want to go to level around FP I can pick you up and give you a ride.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
You would be doing yourself a disservice not leveling in Qeynos area with the plague event going on. The questing path is fantastic. Diseased wolf pelts and gnoll fangs til you can venture out into EK then diseased bear pelts and bandit sashes til 20 easily. The plague event has greatly increased the diseased animal count and every single kill is a guaranteed drop. It's amazing xp. There's a bunch of other quests in the area I pick up along the way but those are the main xp ones.

Summit fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 25, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frog Act posted:

If you want, you can roll a barb and post here some time you'll be on and I can make the trek up and port you to EC or wherever.

Freeport and Kelethin are the most popular newbie zones by far, but you'll see a couple dudes in Qeynos or Paineel or whatever.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Summit posted:

You would be doing yourself a disservice not leveling in Qeynos area with the plague event going on. The questing path is fantastic. Diseased wolf pelts and gnoll fangs til you can venture out into EK then diseased bear pelts and bandit sashes til 20 easily. The plague event has greatly increased the diseased animal count and every single kill is a guaranteed drop. It's amazing xp. There's a bunch of other quests in the area I pick up along the way but those are the main xp ones.

That is the one thing I find fault with on p99, and it is no fault of anyone but time: I absolutely love Qeynos, but it is deserted, as are so many spots. I leveled numerous characters on Live between classic and PoP and there were always people playing, everywhere: there were always groups in Black Burrow, Cazic Thule, Guk, Paw, heck, even Dalnir. The population on p99 is mostly 60s or twinks soloing; the server has grown too old and too rich to still capture completely what EQ was like in 1999.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It was fun for the first two years though, that's for sure

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Maybe its time for a reset back to classic

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Meatgrinder posted:

That is the one thing I find fault with on p99, and it is no fault of anyone but time: I absolutely love Qeynos, but it is deserted, as are so many spots. I leveled numerous characters on Live between classic and PoP and there were always people playing, everywhere: there were always groups in Black Burrow, Cazic Thule, Guk, Paw, heck, even Dalnir. The population on p99 is mostly 60s or twinks soloing; the server has grown too old and too rich to still capture completely what EQ was like in 1999.

Still plenty of new people coming in all the time. So while you may not find people in those places if you have an ounce of charisma(lol goons) it isn't hard to network your way into a group at those spots. 1-40 I still get those classic feels.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Elephunk posted:

It was fun for the first two years though, that's for sure

Seriously. 2009-2011 P99 was fantastic.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Nothing about the raid scene was ever fantastic on P99, in any era, lol.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Going back to vanilla would be kind of a bummer. While I generally hate the 50+ content in this game, Kunark and Velious added a whole lot of cool lower level stuff.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

khysanth posted:

Seriously. 2009-2011 P99 was fantastic.

I love the idea of nostalgia for a nostalgia server.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vargs posted:

Going back to vanilla would be kind of a bummer. While I generally hate the 50+ content in this game, Kunark and Velious added a whole lot of cool lower level stuff.

Yeah, I mean everquest without kunark didn't even exist for very long at all. For me classic is very much vanilla and kunark. I didn't really do much Velious until 99 though (and still haven't seen lots of it)

Luclin was weird and so I'm pretty cool with chilling in velious, but I could stomach if they added luclin and even planes at some point, but I would never want to go past PoP. And then at that point maybe reverse it back to classic and do the whole progression again.

anachron
Jan 23, 2004
I thought there was a planned "Green" server when they finish Velious. The idea being to start fresh and go thru progression in real time and not over years and years as it has been. IDK if that's still a thing since I don't really play anymore but would prob jump on if they did that.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

but I would never want to go past PoP.

Yeah we had Al'Kabor, and it was pretty awesome in spite of the problems with a top heavy, locked and old server. They had to MGB a couple times a day because there was scant lower level gear available. I miss them Sappy MGB batphones.

I came back to p99 to get my Q on every few months or so when they deleted the AK server but didn't play for any real duration until recently.

The screenshots of 100+ folks socking Trakanon during Kunark... welp. The raid scene is a bit nuts on p99 for sure. Like 80 percent of the tactics are built around competing for insta pulls of raid targets we would have half a night to attempt on Brell in the heydays.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Raiding in P99 (or at least how it's been described to me) is super cutthroat compared to how it was back when I raided in live Velious/Luclin. The only things that my old server (Zebuxoruk) would race for were the worldspawn ones like the overworld dragons, Lozdial, and the like. Every other raid zone/area was done on guild rotation. If you are an up and coming guild, if could kill the guardian outside the Temple of Veeshan (was it Klandicar? I forget) then you got added to the Halls of Testing and/or the giant faction hall of ToV rotation. If you could reliably clear either of those halls, you could be added to the NToV rotation. Fear/Hate/Sky really wasn't super hotly contested and you could generally do it whenever you needed to or hitch a ride with a planar raiding guild still gearing up for HoT and epics. VP raiding was basically nonexistent because people didn't want to deal with the hassle of the raid zone you can't gate out from once you were in, and Velious dwarf/giant armor was generally on par with or better than it anyway.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Green server is still in the cards. Still have to finish out blue patches though. Can't wait to have 150 people poo poo socking noble.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

FayGate posted:

Green server is still in the cards. Still have to finish out blue patches though. Can't wait to have 150 people poo poo socking Drelzna (jboots), Avatar of Fear (rubicite BP), An Evil Eye (manastone), and a ghoul assassin (guise)

Not to mention loading thex daggers and boxes of abu kar on as many mules as possible.

Fear will probably be permacamped too once it opens - some Lustrous Russet pieces are nearly BiS until Velious for non-warriors.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not to mention loading thex daggers and boxes of abu kar on as many mules as possible.

Fear will probably be permacamped too once it opens - some Lustrous Russet pieces are nearly BiS until Velious for non-warriors.

ugh green is gunna be awful

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Classic p99 was a product of its time and place. Theres no point trying to replicate that, we're all older now and have too many responsibilities and too little time for a green server.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

smiling giraffe posted:

Classic p99 was a product of its time and place. Theres no point trying to replicate that, we're all older now and have too many responsibilities and too little time for a green server.

I'd play Project Project 1999, where P1999's timetable was meticulously recreated.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Green Servers are the faction-based PvP ones?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ekeog posted:

I'd play Project Project 1999, where P1999's timetable was meticulously recreated.
Hahaha.

Including replicating unintentional bugs throughout the past 5 years on P1999 that were not on Classic Live, but also the old Live bugs that were purposely replicated on P1999 as Classic bugs, and balancing it with the intentional non-Classic nerfs made for P1999.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
Personally I dislike the original release schedule for live.

EQ -> 3mo wait for Kunark, promptly followed by less than a year later Velious was pooped out.

It always felt like Kunark was planned for the original release, but never ready, as it follows many of the same construction, design, and functional similarities as the OG release, but given a bit more polish.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

kzersatz posted:

EQ -> 3mo wait for Kunark, promptly followed by less than a year later Velious was pooped out.

It always felt like Kunark was planned for the original release, but never ready, as it follows many of the same construction, design, and functional similarities as the OG release, but given a bit more polish.

And how all the dragons drop the same loot as the dragons in classic. Outside of VP and Trakanononon.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

College Slice

FranktheBank posted:

And how all the dragons drop the same loot as the dragons in classic. Outside of VP and Trakanononon.

Well, there were numerous reasons for that with the addition of the epic quests; flat out, past a certain point, it's the only way for Paladins to get the book of scale (gently caress that quest) when they made it so Lady Vox and Naggy banish those of ... 52+?

But yeah, it kinda just adds to it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

kzersatz posted:

Say what? EQ was released in March 1999, Kunark in April 2000, Velious in December 2000, Luclin December 2001, PoP in October 2001. There was over a year of true Classic until Kunark.

I don't really know if I agree that Kunark seems like it was supposed to be in Classic.... I'd say it's very different, in regards to a ton of things: Melee power, loot power, more raid targets, "easy" outdoor zones worth a drat leveling in, and so much more. Kunark was just a great thing.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

College Slice

Pilsner posted:

I don't really know if I agree that Kunark seems like it was supposed to be in Classic.... I'd say it's very different, in regards to a ton of things: Melee power, loot power, more raid targets, "easy" outdoor zones worth a drat leveling in, and so much more. Kunark was just a great thing.
Thats called balancing; beyond class balances that were desperately needed, loot power is a linear progression depending on the level of zones you're in.

Go look at the loot for most zones and items that were dropping; most absolutely are equiv to what dropped in classic for that same level range, with the exception of poo poo like Chardok, Sebilis and other clear examples of high level content.

Also I concede my timelines may be fucky, I was loving off from work and ... well... thats another story.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Naw there was a lot wrong on your post but no biggie.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I think it would be hard to bring the spread out-ness of the year 1999. Everquest really felt "lived in" back in. There were player characters everywhere. I think that sony's servers in 1999 for one had two or three as many players per server as p99 has now. Additionally there was no wiki. So players constantly did bad stuff. People thought of minotaur axes as pure gold, but mostly because we all sucked and died a lot and lost our corpses.

A lot of the reason things were so hard is just that they were, the resolution, UI, lighting, etc, all of that. In 1999 you could literally get lost because you had no map and the sun went down. It made people less willing to travel. You meditated without a view of the world at all, and even when you could see if was like a quarter of the screen.

That said people STILL DID CLUSTER UP! I remember in 1998 in beta having 230-300 in Gfay! Partially because brad was visiting but also just because there was always 100 people there. Back in 2001 two top guilds decided to race to a raid target in velious, and the server the zone was on just went down because the city couldn't handle 200 people showing up all at once.

I think project1999 is great though, because while there are only BARELY enough people to give project1999 that lived in community class feeling. It does in fact have that feeling. Modern mmo's all lack this feeling by comparison. It doesn't matter if project 1999 can only get 700players instead of 4000, because every other mmo is either 4player or 6 player and auto-queues strangers into instances.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The only thing you really notice is the obvious lack of newbies being awestruck at everything, nobody's coming up to inspect you and pooping their pants with excitement.

Live was almost too crowded for the amount of mobs in classic dungeons, in Sol B/Lguk you had groups for every drat named then people fighting tooth and nail for trash spawns.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Would someone be able to do a transfer for me in EC on blue? I'll be on for the next few hours as Maed or Sidhlot if anyone still plays on this silly server.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maed posted:

Would someone be able to do a transfer for me in EC on blue? I'll be on for the next few hours as Maed or Sidhlot if anyone still plays on this silly server.

Just got home from work but I don't see you online. Sorry dude.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Just got home from work but I don't see you online. Sorry dude.

drat I just missed ya. I'm on again if anyone can help tonight. Otherwise I'll try some pubbie and hope for the best.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I can't help you since I don't have this game installed right now, but I've never had an issue just asking a random level 60 in the EC tunnel to transfer junk for me. If they steal your poo poo you can just report them and they know this, so they won't take it.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Vargs posted:

I can't help you since I don't have this game installed right now, but I've never had an issue just asking a random level 60 in the EC tunnel to transfer junk for me. If they steal your poo poo you can just report them and they know this, so they won't take it.

This. Ask anyone who's in a bigger guild or over level 30. I have had people come up to my druid to transfer huge amounts of cash or expensive items who did not know me from scratch. There's also some folks who transfer for donations.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Drop transfer everything. Live dangerously.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

FungiCap posted:

Just let us know when and where first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

FungiCap posted:

Use the Inn in east freeport!

I did that once, and ended up stealing 800k worth of poo poo from Aftermath, because they decided to have a recharge party when I was there.

edit: ps I don't play anymore. I still have some expensive poo poo to give away. Caiu get's my stolen Bladestopper. Who else still plays? I have a bunch of random expensive poo poo to give away still.