Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Baronjutter posted:

Nope, unmodded habitats only appear well after the game is over, or you could possibly try to turtle in a corner for centuries of nothing happening grinding your way to that research but by then everyone will have all tech as well and all the late game poo poo has already triggered.

This is blatantly false. Even if you're farting around, habitats by 2300-2350 are piss easy to get. That's only end game on super small maps.

You could make this argument for the other megastructures because of tech rolls and resource cost and all that, but habs are mid game items and are extremely easy to build tall with.

Splicer posted:

You need to go fanatic pacifist for agrarian ideal now, but you can skip researching mega engineering by picking up master builders.

You don't need mega engineering for voidborne anymore.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I've been enjoying my rogue servitor run so far. They're kind of weird, unlike other robot empires you have to gun for planets favorable to your starting bio-trophies if you want to keep your morale up. After you grab a few of those you can colonize all the other types of planets with your bots and start moving all of your robots to them and let your meatbags overrun everything on your ideal habitats. I don't have battleships so I'm not in very far in yet, but this game has been a nice change of pace.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psycho Landlord posted:

This is blatantly false. Even if you're farting around, habitats by 2300-2350 are piss easy to get. That's only end game on super small maps.

You could make this argument for the other megastructures because of tech rolls and resource cost and all that, but habs are mid game items and are extremely easy to build tall with.

You don't need mega-engineering for voidborne anymore.

Ah, I only play tiny/small maps so that's probably it. Once I get beyond 10 planets or so I generally lose interest in the game as it becomes a chore to manage and all the micro management in war is still torture so the idea of going up against an enemy with more than 5-10 planets is a game-ender. When/if this game get a good overhaul for fleet movement and war/invasions it will finally have a chance to be good though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm excited for the Driven Exterminator, Fanatic Purifier and Devouring Swarm buffs even though I think FP is fine since the combat bonuses plus the awesome Influence generation let you go huge if you can break out of the initial alliances against you early on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Weird. I did literally nothing from this guide, and got Voidborne around 2285. Either I'm incredibly awesome, or that guide is bullshit. :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The AI near me gets declared war on by some holy guardian FE like clockwork every 10 years or what ever. Every time its the same war to cleanse the same planets. Is the AI just too stupid to not colonize holy worlds? This same AI is also destroying every enclave station they can reach :(

That "tall" guide is pretty good. I generally like to play without sectors so I try to never expand much beyond my core limit (which once again is a soft limit and fine to go over here and there). This really lays out how to minmax going tall and going for habitats early.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 26, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^ purifiers?

I always get scared away from beelining battleships because it'll take forever to research if you do. Right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psycho Landlord posted:

You don't need mega engineering for voidborne anymore.
I know, I was referring to the latter part of the guide. The big delay for megastructures now is unity.

My biggest problem with going tall is whenever I gear up for a tall run I get dumped in a vast expanse of cool planets with no neighbours.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 26, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my old ship design strategy was basically only build the biggest class, and to get flak as soon as possible because it fits in medium slots. Now it seems that outside of carrier modules you can't have PD on larger ships. I don't know if fighters aren't trash anymore but I tended to ignore them. So now I build swarms of PD destroyers, which of course zoom ahead in battle to get killed asap rather than hanging back and protecting the fleet (please give us a choice of behaviors when setting combat computer). Missiles seem more dangerous so I'm extra loading up on PD, specially fighting a few empires that seem missile heavy. I think fighters can intercept missiles, so now I'm just building a standard line of battleship with the front module a single fighter bay and 2 PD weapons, then the rest Kinetic Batteries.

Has anyone figured out the new combat meta?

Splicer posted:

I know, I was referring to the latter part of the guide. The big delay for megastructures now is unity.

My biggest problem with going tall is whenever I gear up for a tall run I get dumped in a vast expanse of cool planets with no neighbours.

I haven't tried it myself but I've noticed a very tempting "create vassal" button on a lot of my planets. Would there be any merit in going tall by going wide and then dumping your over-expanded colonies to become vassals? You'd get a nice buffer of friends but no take the hit to science or unity costs. But I don't know if there's some wierd limits on creating vassals as it doesn't seem nearly as cool or flexible as setting up a nation from scratch in EU4.

I'd so love it in Stellaris if we could just do that, set up a new vassal by setting a capital planet, picking some other planets, picking a flag and name and maybe even picking its ethos/government based on options within the current population. Then bam, there's a cool custom vassal.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 26, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Baronjutter posted:

The AI near me gets declared war on by some holy guardian FE like clockwork every 10 years or what ever. Every time its the same war to cleanse the same planets. Is the AI just too stupid to not colonize holy worlds? This same AI is also destroying every enclave station they can reach :(

If they're nuking enclaves they're one of the Exterminator/Purifier/Devourer factions, which means they're playing a whole different game in terms of expansion and diplomacy. So basically yes, they're that stupid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Replying to correct this idiot: With some delayed gratification you can hit Galactic Wonders with three standard tier 3 techs and four ascensions (MB + VB + whatever + GW) . That's super doable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Baronjutter posted:

So my old ship design strategy was basically only build the biggest class, and to get flak as soon as possible because it fits in medium slots. Now it seems that outside of carrier modules you can't have PD on larger ships. I don't know if fighters aren't trash anymore but I tended to ignore them. So now I build swarms of PD destroyers, which of course zoom ahead in battle to get killed asap rather than hanging back and protecting the fleet (please give us a choice of behaviors when setting combat computer). Missiles seem more dangerous so I'm extra loading up on PD, specially fighting a few empires that seem missile heavy. I think fighters can intercept missiles, so now I'm just building a standard line of battleship with the front module a single fighter bay and 2 PD weapons, then the rest Kinetic Batteries.

Has anyone figured out the new combat meta?

I haven't tried it myself but I've noticed a very tempting "create vassal" button on a lot of my planets. Would there be any merit in going tall by going wide and then dumping your over-expanded colonies to become vassals? You'd get a nice buffer of friends but no take the hit to science or unity costs. But I don't know if there's some wierd limits on creating vassals as it doesn't seem nearly as cool or flexible as setting up a nation from scratch in EU4.

I'd so love it in Stellaris if we could just do that, set up a new vassal by setting a capital planet, picking some other planets, picking a flag and name and maybe even picking its ethos/government based on options within the current population. Then bam, there's a cool custom vassal.

This is literally what I'm planning to test myself. Fanatic Pacifist/Spiritualist Agrarian Idyll/Philosopher King is the build, gonna go Psionic Ascension and Imperial Prerogative to have a massive core worlds limit then anything beyond the 12~ core worlds limit gets turned into vassal states. If you select Feudal Realm as your third civic, those vassals can then colonize.

In theory it's an interesting tall strategy but I haven't yet put it to the test.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^^ purifiers?

I always get scared away from beelining battleships because it'll take forever to research if you do. Right?

You should always prioritise hull types, especially battleships, as they're better force multipliers than all other technologies. Having them before opponents will give you a considerable leg up in early wars.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Aethernet posted:

You should always prioritise hull types, especially battleships, as they're better force multipliers than all other technologies. Having them before opponents will give you a considerable leg up in early wars.

A good ehp bonus but battleships kind of suck rear end at killing corvette swarms if you aren't sticking a hangar section on there. Without the armor tech to go with them they aren't really nearly as good if you just have the hull itself. You will need to micro retreating once the swarm gets to you or get mobbed to death while missing a lot.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I upgraded my Spacestation to level 2, how come I can't design and built Destroyers like the tooltip says? Do I need special engineering research to unlock them?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
You need a level 3 space station to build destroyers, not 2.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Aethernet”" post="“476797684”"]
You should always prioritise hull types, especially battleships, as they’re better force multipliers than all other technologies. Having them before opponents will give you a considerable leg up in early wars.
[/quote]

I agree up to cruisers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can never go wrong with focusing on cruisers. Honestly I don't know what Corvettes are good for anymore aside from having a few Torp boats.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eej posted:

You can never go wrong with focusing on cruisers. Honestly I don't know what Corvettes are good for anymore aside from having a few Torp boats.
Ablative armour.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How do I merge two tiny fleets to make a bigger one? When I select one and right-click the other, it just goes into follow mode. I don't see a "merge" option anywhere. Just a "transfer ships" option.

This UI is confusing as hell honestly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

enraged_camel posted:

How do I merge two tiny fleets to make a bigger one? When I select one and right-click the other, it just goes into follow mode. I don't see a "merge" option anywhere. Just a "transfer ships" option.

G

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How are you guys building your ships and fleets? Im still using this old guide but I'm pretty sure that's not really relevant anymore. Seems like energy weapons are still king IMO, I tried missiles and despite the buffs I'm not impressed. Battleships, yea or nay?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

enraged_camel posted:

Stellaris UI Haiku:

Select the two fleets.
Press the top left merge icon
Or you could press G.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

enraged_camel posted:

There is a merge button at top left of the ship pane when you multi select. Seemed fairly easy to find.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's a new one.
I'm getting refugees from a devouring hoard hive mind. They are settling on my planets and doing fine. They are clearly marked as hive-minded and have no happiness but seem to be doing ok.

*edit*
Spoke too soon, took a few months for my peaceful ethical humans to sort out the paperwork, mass murder of these newcomers has begun.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Sweet Christ if you're playing a Synth Ascension materialist game make sure you turn off academic privilege before you ascend. You can't turn it off afterwards and it absolutely ruins your mineral production. I have every consumer goods reduction in the game and 70% of my minerals go to paying for my robots.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
and now, the machine empire nobody asked for

sex robot sex robot

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 27, 2017

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

So now I build swarms of PD destroyers, which of course zoom ahead in battle to get killed asap rather than hanging back and protecting the fleet (please give us a choice of behaviors when setting combat computer).

Ask and ye shall receive.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Axetrain posted:

How are you guys building your ships and fleets? Im still using this old guide but I'm pretty sure that's not really relevant anymore. Seems like energy weapons are still king IMO, I tried missiles and despite the buffs I'm not impressed. Battleships, yea or nay?
i think i had some corvettes with regular, non-energy torpedoes that did very well in a battlefield that i saturated with strike craft. i wasn't really paying attention, as this was just some fuckery with console-spawned fleets, but i guess maybe the enemy pd (and there was lots of it; i went against an FE) got overwhelmed and didn't prioritize the torps. there might be some good synergy with bombers, regular torps, and arc emitters, since all three bypass shields and a ton of armor.

in general it looked like cruiser fleets gave me the most bang for my buck: once they close the distance, enemy battleships can't use their spinal mounts, so their damage potential becomes about equal to my cruisers (which i have a lot more of, since they're cheaper to build and support).

nb: these were just some dumb matchups against one fallen empire (the kind that starts with the huge titan fleet). i did no testing against regular late-game ai civ or crisis fleets

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 27, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I actually really miss flak being a medium hardpoint because now I have to build destroyers again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

wiegieman posted:

I actually really miss flak being a medium hardpoint because now I have to build destroyers again.

Same, but I think this is the game trying to force more diverse fleets. Which I think is a good idea, but needs the associated interface/quality of life upgrades to go along with it. I'd love the mechanics to reward different fleet "builds" like having nimble screens protecting your capital ships, but we need fleet templates and auto-rebuild options. Fleet lost 12 screens from that battle? Click a resupply button or something and 12 replacement ships are queued up and sent to the front.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

President Ark posted:

and now, the machine empire nobody asked for

sex robot sex robot

The Power Drills trait takes this from great to perfect :roboluv:

e: God, the more I look at it the more innuendo I see :psyduck:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Contingency

holy poo poo

machine revolt in my own nation

and then

the loving Cybrex just showed up

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Bloody Pom posted:

The Power Drills trait takes this from great to perfect :roboluv:

e: God, the more I look at it the more innuendo I see :psyduck:

i was going to give them wormhole travel but i always do hyperlanes only

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Are you able to make fanatic spiritualist robots?

Biblebots?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

a

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Are you able to make fanatic spiritualist robots?

Biblebots?

Spiritualist empires can take the synthetic ascension path now, but expect to deal with a lot of your pops flipping materialist and the problems that brings.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Spiritualist empires can take the synthetic ascension path now, but expect to deal with a lot of your pops flipping materialist and the problems that brings.

The spiritualist faction will also take a nose dive if you have synthetic ascension path stuff. I think AI rights and flesh is weak are -40% on their own.

On a separate note: Wiz its kinda anticlimactic if when a war in heaven fires the first thing that pops up after joining the league of non aligned powers is the "federation victory" screen.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 27, 2017

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

wiegieman posted:

I really, really like bombers lately and having those PD slots with hangars in cruisers and battleships means I never have to build destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Hey, so I'm not sure if this is a bug of sorts.

As you can see, the option to send demands has been grayed out. Please note that I'm the Neomachina (Illuminated Syldaean Theocracy) and the ones that got declared on by the Spiritualist FE.

Does the game think that the Lozavata are the primary defenders for some reason, as they're listed first on the defenders side? My fleet is by far the strongest of all the defenders if that matters.

Also I was in the middle of a subjugation war with the Zelvan at the time of the war declaration, so I don't know if that messed things up either.

• Locked thread