Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Strobe posted:

Guys we reeeeeeally don't need to rush this, at least until we get into a fight. Take five minutes and check LOS to routes.

This is always good advice on a map with a lot of terrain features so I suggest that players keep it in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In that respect, even though it speeds up games significantly, having all the enemy units move at the same time is definitely a disadvantage to the players. Sure, we get to check and double-check LOS before we move and have supreme confidence that we'll be fine, but there are some maneuvers that become impossible thanks to not being able to exploit a gap in coverage that opens and shuts during the same movement phase.

I don't expect it to be necessary at all, but it's definitely a thing we're missing. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It is, a mission in a city is one of the few times my initiative disadvantage can potentially be an advantage.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck Standing-At-the-Crossroads (Korean Robert Johnson)

Yeah, I'm gonna get the hell out of this intersection this turn.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

This stealth business is difficult, perhaps the Spider should scout ahead?

The pink hex outlines of the buildings would be helpful in a less crowded map, but it sort of makes the map too busy here imho.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RA Rx posted:

This stealth business is difficult, perhaps the Spider should scout ahead?

Spider

I'd love to, but I think if I jump out this turn, the unit in 735 will spot me. I'm lucky I was just barely out of its line of sight when I jumped in here.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
This line of sight business reminds me of a ruling in a fringe case for Star Fleet Battles.

Two ships, one is cloaked, are moving in the same direction at the same speed. Now, due to the rules, both ships move simultaneously. The first ship still knows, generally speaking, where the cloaked ship is (maintaining a 'general lockon'). Before movement, they are in two hexes such that line of sight is drawn along the side of a hex containing a planet.

For example, they were in 0742 and 0942, both moving 'north', and a planet is in 0841. They have line of sight to each other, and the first ship retains its general "I know you're there somewhere" lockon. They move at the same time to 0741 and 0941. The question arose - does the planet break line of sight, and thus the first ship loses its lock on?

Common sense would say yes, as the planet was blocking line of sight, and the rules clearly state that when such things happen. However, because movement is discrete during the turn order, and in this very specific case, the ships have line of sight before moving, and after along the top and bottom of the hex containing the planet, when the turn order checks for line of sight, it can't during movement. At no point in the turn order is line of sight blocked, despite a planet - in theory - being in the way.

The official ruling was that yes, lockon is retained in this fringe case, and that it wasn't worth it to make an exception for this happenstance - and a cloaked ship that didn't take the opportunity to properly break line of sight was either desperate or dumb, and the rules weren't going to help them.

tl;dr

You guys are lucky. This could have gone much much worse for everyone involved.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

berryjon posted:

tl;dr

You guys are lucky. This could have gone much much worse for everyone involved, you could have been playing Star Fleet Battles.

ftfy

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is, a mission in a city is one of the few times my initiative disadvantage can potentially be an advantage.

Which, if anyone need reminders of how that works, can be seen in the first Luthien mission, Counting Coup. It even drove an ilKhan insane.

It certainly got me into trouble at the end.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's another reason I'm playing very strict with OpForce movement, so a player doesn't round a corner, run smack-dab into an enemy, and set themselves up to be penned in by a second one the moment my turn comes up.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

Ok, so ambush happens next turn, ya? As in, if I move now and declare weapons on target, there won't actually BE a target there until after the firing phase? Don't wanna miss a chance to unleash the fury.

Question for PTN: what is the firing order for players? Wanna make sure I make Good Life Choices in regards to ammo selection

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Nothing is going to happen this combat phase unless we really gently caress up.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Random Fact Time

Did you know, that Butch and Sundance were Capellans, and that they piloted Spiders? It's true! They show up in the House Liao sourcebook, and died defending Corey against regiments of the Marik Militia near the start of the First Succession War..

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
After getting the inspiration from the thread I'm 2/3s of the way through the Cabellero's trilogy, and I have to say I've been impressed. I agree that his mech combat isn't great, but it's more than made up for by an interesting band of characters with a good deal of depth to them. It almost reads like a deconstruction of classic action-hero novels, where the stone cold killer protagonist is explicitly called out for being a broken person and her real struggle is learning how to become a human being again.

The only real cringe moments for me are when the novel talks about 'Blood Drinker', the shamefully cringey name for her pet dagger, but even them I'm not sure it's meant to be taken straight so much as emphasize that Cassie isn't okay (or maybe just be a byproduct of the fact that she was an emotionally scarred adolescent when she got the thing and that's probably what she thought was cool at the time).

I've also really enjoyed the way the book structures conflicts. There's not really a villain at all in Close Quarter (and the closest thing to one is probably Uncle Chandy), and while the dude from Hearts of Chaos veers into that territory a bit it's made pretty clear that he has issues, and his lapses into villainy have consequences. Even he is an infinitely better character than cardboard cutouts like Warlord Samsonov.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 26, 2017

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger

Is there going to be a big nasty furball in the lower left corner of the map next turn? I was considering chilling at 1442 to chase after one of those scouts if it runs north after spotting someone, but I'm completely off base in thinking it might go down like that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Attention, Alternates!

Octatonic has had to withdraw from the game for personal reasons. The first alternate who submits orders for the Quickdraw before the deadline tonight gets to take it over.

I wish Octatonic the best, and there will be a Mechwarrior spot waiting for them if and when things resolve themselves. Take care!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH

mercenarynuker posted:

Question for PTN: what is the firing order for players? Wanna make sure I make Good Life Choices in regards to ammo selection

Re-posting for posterity. Also, not doing anything this turn, ready to unleash the thunder next turn tho

edit: order submitted, not like me not submitting them would change anything, though!

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 26, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Gonna hold position this turn so that I don't accidentally alert the scout in 735.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mercenarynuker posted:

Re-posting for posterity. Also, not doing anything this turn, ready to unleash the thunder next turn tho

It's the lance order, so the Roughnecks fire first and the Von Rohrs is the clean-up hitter.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Roughneck
I'll be moving back to 1045 facing 1046. Hopefully unloading a full salvo, unless anyone has a better recommendation for this turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anakha has taken over the Quickdraw, and asked another spotting question

quote:

Also wanted to clarify - once the opposing units on the right side of the map move, they will be alerted if any hex in their path has LOS to the hex where the Quickdraw stops, not to hexes where it passes through, right? Let me know if my understanding is incorrect, as I would then need to revise these orders ASAP. Thanks.

Correct, you'll have already moved and reached your end position by the time the enemy moves again, so they can only 'see' you if you cross their current position or if, during their movement next turn, they establish line-of-sight to your end position.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looks like I got my wish to rumble on Luthien. :black101:

For the team: I submitted orders to jump to 1439. Perfect time to get involved since that hex should be out of LOS from the units in the middle and right side of the map.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Does jumping over buildings potentially create LOS to enemy units on the ground who can see "up" at an angle to the high point of the mech's jump?

I'm only asking to be a pain in the rear end

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

Does jumping over buildings potentially create LOS to enemy units on the ground who can see "up" at an angle to the high point of the mech's jump?

I'm only asking to be a pain in the rear end

Yes.

Jump Jets are bright, yo.

Edit: If your path crosses behind something but you don't stop in its line of sight I'll probably let you sneak past it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 27, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit Betting Pool

Second blip set!

Unknown #3 Known Facts
- Spends 3-6 MP/turn
- - It may be a 6/9 or faster
- - It may be as slow as a 4/6
- Has a complete EWAR kit, both ECM and an Active Probe

Possibly True Hints (one is true, one is not)
- Mounts Jump Jets
- Is an Omnimech

Unknown #4 Known Facts
- Has an Active Probe, but does not carry an ECM
- Spends up to 11 MP/turn
- - It is at least a 7/11

- Has the Improved Sensors quirk
- A highly feared infighter

Unknown #5 Known Facts
- Carries no special equipment
- Spends up to 9 MP/turn
- - At least a 6/9
- - May be as fast as 9/14

- Infamous killer of light BattleMechs
- Carries an all-missile loadout

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Unknown #4 : Mist lynx.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, and I'm going to need guesses for #3 very quickly.

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012
Hellbringer (Loki) for #3?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
3#: Kit fox C?

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
#5 is a Baboon.

#4 is a Viper-C

....nope, I don't know my Clan 'Mechs at all. I just really want to see a Baboon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Baboons turned up fighting against the Demon Hawks (it was the Howler 3, the Tasmanian Devil variant)

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh yeah, and I'm going to need guesses for #3 very quickly.

I won't have access to my books until tonight! :argh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry, I wasn't expecting it to catch clear line of sight so it's sort of a "panic vote."

Pick a Clan `Mech out of a hat and you've got a decent chance of being in the right weight range at least.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
  • King Crab

if I guess this enough times, eventually, some mission, someday, it'll be right

(not today, probably)

my real guess for all of them is Arctic Fox, because you said random clan mech and that was first on the presumably-alphabetical list I googled! :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 27, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sorry, I wasn't expecting it to catch clear line of sight so it's sort of a "panic vote."

Pick a Clan `Mech out of a hat and you've got a decent chance of being in the right weight range at least.

Wait, does it have LOS to the Quickdraw? I could have sworn 1439 was hidden from Blip #3.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

anakha posted:

Wait, does it have LOS to the Quickdraw? I could have sworn 1439 was hidden from Blip #3.

1436 wasn't. It spotted you jumping over the arena wall.

'sokay, it happens, it's doing the Clan-est possible thing.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Mech 3: Hellbringer

EDIT:

Mech 4: Ice Ferret
Mech 5: Jenner IIC

LegendairyBovine fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 27, 2017

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please tell me it's issuing a challenge.

Bid away your radio and see if he does the same.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

:doh:

gently caress, sorry team. I was operating under the assumption that the Charger's jump the previous turn was missed because it ended up in a hex without LOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Mech 3: Koshi 3

• Locked thread