Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystery fluid
Feb 12, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phlegmish posted:

I liked the books, when is he going to finish the sixth one.

Lol never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait? Which lady has a phat rear end? Because there are a lot of Brits on that show and the people of my ancestors have never been revered for their asses. Boobs yes. Butts...eh.

Phlegmish posted:

I liked the books, when is he going to finish the sixth one.

I think it was supposed to come out in early 2017, but got delayed. So maybe 2018. There's another book in the Game of Thrones universe that may actually come out earlier because why the gently caress not.

I like to believe he's working on multiple story lines and therefore is more like 80% finished on the next book and maybe 50% on the last. But we all know he's 10% finished on the sixth and still debating whether dragons have tits for the last book and if he's going to surprise everyone with a Daenerys and Hodor hookup.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wait? Which lady has a phat rear end? Because there are a lot of Brits on that show and the people of my ancestors have never been revered for their asses. Boobs yes. Butts...eh.

Ros. :rip:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I read that there's FIVE GoT spinoff series being planned and while that's undoubtedly nonsensical grandstanding to sell one or two, what would all of that possibly be about.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

davidspackage posted:

I read that there's FIVE GoT spinoff series being planned and while that's undoubtedly nonsensical grandstanding to sell one or two, what would all of that possibly be about.

Being that all I know of GoT is "winter is coming" I assume they're delving into all the other seasons?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Summer is coming sounds less ominous

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Phlegmish posted:

Summer is coming sounds less ominous

Less ominous, but more fun. Buddy cop teamup series?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Robert's Rebellion would be the big one presumably

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Re: spoilers, I have learned to approach things through the lens of Ebert's Law: "A movie is not about what it is about. It is about how it is about it."

In other words, if knowing the spoiler ruins the movie, it's not actually a very good movie.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Besesoth posted:

Re: spoilers, I have learned to approach things through the lens of Ebert's Law: "A movie is not about what it is about. It is about how it is about it."

In other words, if knowing the spoiler ruins the movie, it's not actually a very good movie.

Yeah, I was a dumbass for years and thought I didn't need to see the original Planet of the Apes film because I knew the twist ending. Man, was I wrong. It is a beautifully shot film and actually quite riveting; even if you know about the Statue reveal at the end, there's a lot more to care about that isn't tied to that final shot.

The sequel is also super good, although I'd advise seeing it without spoilers just for the sheer "holy poo poo what" value. (I saw it spoiled and still enjoyed it very much.)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah but the initial viewing of a film is the most formative one and though a film can be appreciated despite knowing its plot the original thrill can never be gotten and that is an important part of your memories of a piece of media. Fight Club is still great knowing Tyler and The Narrator are one and the same person and there's lots of stuff you only pick up on a viewing where you know this. However the tension and reveal are a trip and an intrinsic part of how that film makes you feel and tries to make you feel

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also murder-mystery is an entire genre that more or less relies on going into a story unspoiled.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yes and No on the spoiler thing; If I know I'm gonna see a film anyway, I tend to avoid spoilers as much as I can. Hell if I already know I'm going to see a film then I'll avoid the trailer if possible. The way I see it though I only have one chance to experience a thing fresh, with no spoilers, no knowing the ending or anything. One chance for a movie to surprise me. If its good I can watch it again knowing whats going to happen as many times as I like. All finding out spoilers really does is take away that first fresh viewing. Probably doesn't ruin the piece of media, but doesn't enhance it either. And some things are ruined by knowing spoilers. Not necessarily GOOD movies, but I'm not gonna pretend that every movie I enjoy is remotely in the same ballpark as good.

Like, to give a made up example; If I know who committed the murder in the movie walking in, I can still watch the movie and appreciate the cinematography, and the way the script lays a false trail to misdirect you to suspect other characters. But if I dont know I'll enjoy the suprise of the misdirect and THEN I can see the movie again later, appreciate the cinemablah blah, with the ADDED feeling of "man, that got me loving GOOD. I didnt suspect for a second the the second victim was actually the butlers identical twin with a false nose, and that they were only pretending to be dead!".

Of course, most things arent murder mysteries, and the majority of media out there arent things I know I'll enjoy. If something looks vaguely interesting but I'm not particularly bothered by it/I'm not sure when if ever I'll get around to it I'll sometimes just look up the plot on the internet. And of course, you have to be realistic about time frames; At this point if you dont know what soylent green is, how king kong gets down from the empire state building, what they blew up in planet of the apes and so on and so forth its kind of on you. Similarly with GoT; I watched the first season and kind of fell away from it after that (although I read the first few books years ago), and it would completely unreasonable for me to expect people to spoiler tag everything about later seasons of GoT until the whole thing is finished and I finally get around to watching it all. I do appreciate people who are overly cautious with their spoiler tags in posts, while also not being that annoyed when people accidentally let a detail slip (which is not the same as people deliberately just being a dick and spoiling stuff on purpose). What kind of bugs me is the "Oh, wait til you see the scene in the library!" type comments, its got all the worst bits of both camps; Doesnt tell me anything interesting, while still dulling/altering the impact of a scene in the movie. "Wait til you see the twist!" is only slightly less annoying than telling me what the twist is, now I'm going to be looking for it and wont be as surprised.

Some people just like/arent bothered by spoilers though. My mum will read the first 2 chapters of a book, then look at the last page, and if you sit down to watch a movie with her then about 15-20 minutes in she'll turn and as "Does this have a good ending?". (She's actually okay with stuff that has an unhappy ending for the record, she just cant relax til she knows if she should be steeling herself for a sad ending).

Edit to Add: Fight Club is a good non-murder mystery example for me too. I didnt see it til it had been out on DVD for a while and somehow I STILL didnt get it spoiled for me, and I honestly think it made the initial watch better. On subsequent viewings it's still a well made movie, but... going in totally blind (Literally all I knew about the film was "Brad Pitt and Edward Norton are in it. Theres soap on the cover. It made a lot of money") made that movie better than I think it would have been otherwise.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Sep 26, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I agree with you all, I would rather not have any spoilers; I only posted to support the idea that spoilers cannot ruin a good work of art.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Oh, absolutely - I don't go around spoiling things for fun and I personally prefer to be unspoiled unless there something in the Entertainment Experience™ that's going to really upset me. I'm just saying - if knowing the spoiler ruins the movie, the movie wasn't very good. Murder mysteries shouldn't be just about Who Dun It; they're about character dynamics, the mood and atmosphere, the plotting and misleads... If they're just whodunit in a field of ciphers, and the only value is knowing The Spoiler™ what's the point?

They should release more movies like Clue, where you weren't sure which ending you were going to get.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Sep 26, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I agree with you generally but I'd like to see the mislead that confuses someone who knows the answer ahead of time.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EmmyOk posted:

I agree with you generally but I'd like to see the mislead that confuses someone who knows the answer ahead of time.

Once you know the answer, the misleads aren't about confusing the viewer, they're about the storytelling that leads the viewer toward or away from the correct conclusion.

Think about a James Bond movie: you know Bond's going to be alive at the end of the movie, so whenever he's in danger, you know he'll get out of it. The fun is watching him do the getting-out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

EmmyOk posted:

The Japanese movie based on Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney kinda has exactly this!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Besesoth posted:

God forbid anyone derive pleasure from a popcorn flick.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Sep 27, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Blue Footed Booby posted:

yeah, "nobody should derive pleasure from a popcorn flick" is exactly what I said. :allears:

e: I honestly don't understand where this is coming from. If the only enjoyment you get from a movie is The Twist then it's not even a popcorn movie, and if you get more enjoyment than just The Twist then it's not what I'm talking about!

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Sep 27, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It sounds very beep-boop to not understand the value in wanting to go in blind. The second viewing is not necessarily worse but decidedly different knowing the entire movie already. There's plenty of chances to rewatch a good movie and appreciate its artistic quality, but you only get once chance to experience the wonder of a truly fresh experience.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Besesoth posted:

e: I honestly don't understand where this is coming from.

You definitely came off as (IMO are still coming off as) someone who only watches "films" and can't understand why someone would want to turn their brain off and watch some entertainment.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I have never, ever cared about spoilers and always encourage my friends to mention any part of the plot they need to when they're telling me about a movie they saw, but a while back I started avoiding trailers for movies I knew I wanted to see, and the difference in enjoyment has been massive. It's not so much plot elements, but getting a completely fresh entry into the visual storytelling, sometimes even the genre. I don't think great movies need the help, but it's made watching disposable popcorn flicks feel like I'm a little kid again. Sometimes I even manage to miss major casting news, like I went into Force Awakens not even knowing Adam Driver was in it, which made the villain reveal neat as hell.

If you have a genre/director/star where you know you're going to see every movie that comes out anyway, give it a try. It's not like you need marketing to convince you to see The Last Jedi probably, so why spend six months poring over scraps of footage? Just go in fresh, see how it treats you.

In fact I've got a recommendation for trying it out: This movie didn't do so well so odds are you never saw a trailer to begin with. See Denzel Washington's film Deja Vu. Don't read anything about it, don't even look too hard at the key art. Just dive in, and enjoy the shift from generic 90s-style cop thriller to something else.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Slimy Hog posted:

You definitely came off as (IMO are still coming off as) someone who only watches "films" and can't understand why someone would want to turn their brain off and watch some entertainment.

wat. this is the not-reading-my-posts-est interpretation you could possibly come up with.

Is it because I invoked Roger Ebert? Is it because I said the horrible forbidden phrase "bad movie"?

I'm honestly so baffled by this interpretation that I can't figure out where you're getting it from. Are you so devoted to films whose only redeeming value is that they have a PLOT TWIST OMG that you can't acknowledge any value beyond that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also murder-mystery is an entire genre that more or less relies on going into a story unspoiled.
Nah. I watched the Poirot TV series after having read about half the books. I can honestly say that knowing the resolution ahead of time didn't have any effect at all on my enjoyment of those episodes.

SiKboy posted:

What kind of bugs me is the "Oh, wait til you see the scene in the library!" type comments, its got all the worst bits of both camps; Doesnt tell me anything interesting, while still dulling/altering the impact of a scene in the movie. "Wait til you see the twist!" is only slightly less annoying than telling me what the twist is, now I'm going to be looking for it and wont be as surprised.
This is the only kind of spoiler I object to. Not because I think it ruins the movie in any way though, just because it's really annoying to read/hear people coyly referring to things without ever saying what it is they're talking about. Either give enough detail that people who haven't seen it can understand or don't say anything. The "no spoilers but..." type of thing is just dumb and annoying.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ebert was pretty generous with popcorn flicks. He reviewed them based on their genre, not against some cinematic ideal. So stupid movies were okay as long as they were good at being stupid.

But he ranked the Wedding Singer among the worst films he's ever seen, so what the gently caress did that hack know.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Slimy Hog posted:

No seriously what the gently caress are you talking about

He praised James bond movies as an example and 90% of those are glorious, ridiculous popcorn trash heaps

pretty soft girl has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Sep 27, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

pyf thing about movie spoilers

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

pyf thing about movie spoilers

Does anyone else think it's strange that we live in a world where any depiction of an interaction between a child and adult is instantly deep-scanned for undertones of rape?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Its very rapey tho

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It kinda is, but if you took out the creepy eyebrows it'd just be a guy shushing you so you don't wake his kid.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The girls positioning is what makes it hosed up more than anything else.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TenCentFang posted:

The girls positioning is what makes it hosed up more than anything else.

That is probably one of the most common positions toddlers fall asleep in. They'll fall asleep anywhere.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

RagnarokAngel posted:

That is probably one of the most common positions toddlers fall asleep in. They'll fall asleep anywhere.

I'm not arguing, man, I'm just saying, that's objectively the factor that makes it a meme.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

It|s more interesting to know why somebody is the culprit than who is the culprit. E.g. the good murder mysteries are about exploring the characters and interweaving their motivations - somebody who already knows who ends up guilty still doesn't know the process that leads to their apprehension.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've been spoiled on movies and other things and perfectly enjoyed them. Heck, I tend to forget the spoilers once I get into them... usually. Knowing what happens isn't the same as knowing how it happens.

Though I still think Hollywood's need to spoil every plot point in a movie in the trailer is doing them no favours. Plenty of movies get by with trailers that show the film's aesthetic without saying anything about the plot.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

It|s more interesting to know why somebody is the culprit than who is the culprit. E.g. the good murder mysteries are about exploring the characters and interweaving their motivations - somebody who already knows who ends up guilty still doesn't know the process that leads to their apprehension.

:agreed: Columbo was a really good show.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jeez guys, it's about the journey, not the destination.

[quote="“walrusman”" post="“476809037”"]
Does anyone else think it’s strange that we live in a world where any depiction of an interaction between a child and adult is instantly deep-scanned for undertones of rape?
[/quote]

We spent most of our existence as a species ignoring child molestation, so I can go for a little over reaction now. Also the guy's face is really creepy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Photoshop a gun in his hand and some blood, and it'd be Max Payne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Jeez guys, it's about the journey, not the destination.

We spent most of our existence as a species ignoring child molestation, so I can go for a little over reaction now. Also the guy's face is really creepy.

I'm reminded of how hilariously badly the Pedofinder General has aged now given it turned out Britain is infested with pedos in the media and government