Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah, this is still a dumb take.

Nah. if you lose to Donald Trump in a general election after a video comes out with him bragging about sexually assaulting women, your campaign is so fundamentally flawed that the buck stops with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

7c Nickel posted:

Because I feel like you're misallocating blame and by doing so, making future decisions based on bad information. She absolutely could have done things differently and those things absolutely could have swung the election. A good example of this is all the people who smugly go "She lost to DONALD TRUMP!" are making the exact same mistake she did, assuming that how lovely the republican candidate is actually an important factor. She ran too much on pointing out how poo poo he was and not enough on boosting her own turnout.

PJ and I largely agree this is largely summarized as "leadership" or in this case lack thereof.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

7c Nickel posted:

Because I feel like you're misallocating blame and by doing so, making future decisions based on bad information. She absolutely could have done things differently and those things absolutely could have swung the election. A good example of this is all the people who smugly go "She lost to DONALD TRUMP!" are making the exact same mistake she did, assuming that how lovely the republican candidate is actually an important factor. She ran too much on pointing out how poo poo he was and not enough on boosting her own turnout.

Then we agree, the fault ultimately lies with her. She lost to a genuinely weaker opponent because of her hubris. She should have been able to defeat him- except for the decisions she made as a result of her hubris. If she had just run a bog-standard by the book campaign (remember how she portrayed herself as the "by-the-book" competent administrator) then neither Comey nor Russia would have mattered. She wanted to be leader, and she got her turn in the big chair. While she was there she hosed it up severely and her incompetence has had massive negative consequences for literally tens of millions of Americans.

Sorry but that is just how leadership works. She took the big chair and then on her maiden voyage as captain hosed it all up. While I certainly have issues with what Comey did and do not deny it swung the election, none of that changes the fact that it was her own incompetence that put her campaign in the position it was in. If she had just been the boring by-the-book administrator she portrayed herself as she would have crushed Trump.

Instead she threw out the book and had an over-managed campaign souless campaign with too many chiefs and almost no contact with the grunts who could have actually carried the day.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

PJ and I largely agree this is largely summarized as "leadership" or in this case lack thereof.

And I guess I'd summarize it as "focus". :shrug:

Also it's nice that someone tried to call me out using the exact same fallacy I was talking about two posts earlier.

Prester Jane posted:

Then we agree, the fault ultimately lies with her. She lost to a genuinely weaker opponent because of her hubris. She should have been able to defeat him- except for the decisions she made as a result of her hubris. If she had just run a bog-standard by the book campaign (remember how she portrayed herself as the "by-the-book" competent administrator) then neither Comey nor Russia would have mattered. She wanted to be leader, and she got her turn in the big chair. While she was there she hosed it up severely and her incompetence has had massive negative consequences for literally tens of millions of Americans.

Sorry but that is just how leadership works. She took the big chair and then on her maiden voyage as captain hosed it all up. While I certainly have issues with what Comey did and do not deny it swung the election, none of that changes the fact that it was her own incompetence that put her campaign in the position it was in. If she had just been the boring by-the-book administrator she portrayed herself as she would have crushed Trump.

Instead she threw out the book and had an over-managed campaign souless campaign with too many chiefs and almost no contact with the grunts who could have actually carried the day.

I think "the fault ultimately lies" is a useless and unhelpful simplification for anything but pillorying specific people. She lost because of a lot of reason, quite a few of those outside her control.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yeah obama! it's so peaceful right no...

https://medium.com/@rafaelshimunov/nazis-start-gasthesynagogue-in-reaction-to-st-louis-jews-shielding-protestors-from-police-b3fdf9488593

quote:

The people of St. Louis took to the streets in response to the acquittal of ex-cop Jason Stockley for the murder of Anthony Lamar Smith. Stockley, when engaged on a police chase of Smith was recorded premeditating his killing of Smith.

Police responded to protests with unhinged violence.

When protesters were caged in by an abusive police force, the Central Reform Congregation of St. Louis served as a model to all congregations and opened their doors to protect them.

The synagogue itself made sure we knew this was no fluke. They’re here for “radical hospitality”. The Synagogue is also known for protecting protesters after the Ferguson verdict for the killing of Michael Brown.

The police responded by surrounding the Jewish temple and preparing more tear gas...

And as if we needed to be reminded that our liberation as Jews is tied to the liberation of all Black and brown people on the front lines of white supremacism, the Nazis weighed in too.

This time with a “#GastheSynagogue” campaign invoking gas chambers in Nazi concentration camps...

:thunk:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

He said 'the world' and he is correct. Unless you think the world means Western Europe and North America.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

7c Nickel posted:

I think "the fault ultimately lies" is a useless and unhelpful simplification for anything but pillorying specific people. She lost because of a lot of reason, quite a few of those outside her control.

Uh, just no. When you are the leader it is always the case that the fault ultimately lies with you for the conduct of the organization you lead. The responsibility for Sarah Palin being unleashed on the world ultimately lies with John McCain- even if his only real mistake in that entire affair was trusting his advisers to do a proper vetting in only three days. Ultimate responsibility for what happened while Hillary was the official leader of the Democratic Party lies with Hillary. She made mistakes and her opponents were able to exploit those mistakes.

There is absolutely nothing fair about politics and that goes quadruple for anyone who wants to be leader of the free world. Hillary hosed up her shot because her hubris blinded her, and the ultimate responsibility for her decisions while leader (and the consequences of those decisions) lies with Hillary.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Peachfart posted:

He said 'the world' and he is correct. Unless you think the world means Western Europe and North America.

:lol: nazis making inroads all over the place, nk claiming they have nukes and launching missles, the middle east is a hellhole

yep, all's right in the world. so peaceful!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The world sucks but it is less violent. Both of those statments are true.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The world sucks but it is less violent. Both of those statments are true.

Video is from 2014 but its points are still accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbuUW9i-mHs

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

:lol: nazis making inroads all over the place, nk claiming they have nukes and launching missles, the middle east is a hellhole

yep, all's right in the world. so peaceful!

First off

quote:

Despite the “extraordinary challenges” the world is facing – from growing economic inequality and climate change to mass migration and terrorism – “if you had to choose any moment in history in which to be born, you would choose right now. The world has never been healthier, or wealthier, or better educated or in many ways more tolerant or less violent,” he said in his speech, at an event for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
(source)

There's nothing incorrect about that statement. Yes a lot of the world is poo poo, but it used to be a lot worse. Secondly, what is the most healthful, wealthful, and peaceful time in humanity's history, then?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

seiferguy posted:

Let's be honest here, has there been anyone who's actually said "oh wait, they weren't protesting the troops by kneeling? Well that changes my opinion!"

I'm sure if you dug up the mildewing corpse of Ken Bone from the trash heap of 2016 this would be his response to being told the information.

America is at least 30% Ken Bones.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Angry_Ed posted:

First off

There's nothing incorrect about that statement. Yes a lot of the world is poo poo, but it used to be a lot worse. Secondly, what is the most healthful, wealthful, and peaceful time in humanity's history, then?

you would choose the time when climate change is starting to gear up to be born? really?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

First off

The period with the most scientific and medical advancement, which is the most recent date possible. If that's all we're going to go off of for "things are great" then its a meaningless statement.

And that's really all this statement is: "Things are great. People dont have reason to be restless". It's a sentiment directed at nervous rich people.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

The period with the most scientific and medical advancement, which is the most recent date possible. If that's all we're going to go off of for "things are great" then its a meaningless statement.

And that's really all this statement is: "Things are great. People dont have reason to be restless". It's a sentiment directed at nervous rich people.

quote:

Obama called on the audience to reject cynicism and to look with optimism to the future. “Not blind optimism, but hard-earned optimism, rooted in very real progress,” he said.

Again, not what he's saying. He's saying we should look past the cynicism and still keep trying to do better.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

Do we really think that Obama doesn't think there are very real problems or is just Condiv just being an rear end in a top hat?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Condiv posted:

you would choose the time when climate change is starting to gear up to be born? really?

We're talking about violence, not existential threats. Even though climate change can and has led to conflicts already the level of those conflicts has been much lower than pretty much any other era for an extremely long time, which is the point of the statement. No one's saying there aren't huge problems for human society to overcome, and that's not what Obama is saying either: just that the level at which we actively murder each other in wars isn't what it used to be and that's at least some kind of encouraging sign that maybe humanity can change in important ways.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

puerto rico, which is still almost entirely without power, water, or good, will not get a jones act waiver

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/912805320623235072

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fraction Jackson posted:

We're talking about violence, not existential threats. Even though climate change can and has led to conflicts already the level of those conflicts has been much lower than pretty much any other era for an extremely long time, which is the point of the statement. No one's saying there aren't huge problems for human society to overcome, just that the level at which we actively murder each other in wars isn't what it used to be and that's at least some kind of encouraging sign that maybe humanity can change in important ways.

i think nazi uprisings count as violence, and will almost certainly lead to increased violence worldwide if it gets worse. so yeah the statement is flawed as gently caress. we have a nazi sympathizer (if not an actual fascist) who wants to annihilate north korea as our leader too, doesn't seem like non-violent times to me at all

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Condiv posted:

i think nazi uprisings count as violence, and will almost certainly lead to increased violence worldwide if it gets worse. so yeah the statement is flawed as gently caress. we have a nazi sympathizer who wants to annihilate north korea as our leader too, doesn't seem like non-violent times to me at all

You didn't answer the earlier question: If today isn't the best time to be alive(in terms of health/violence/etc), as an average human, when was?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

puerto rico, which is still almost entirely without power, water, or good, will not get a jones act waiver

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/912805320623235072

What the gently caress. Why.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

[quote="“Angry_Ed”" post="“476799252”"]
First off
(source)

There’s nothing incorrect about that statement. Yes a lot of the world is poo poo, but it used to be a lot worse. Secondly, what is the most healthful, wealthful, and peaceful time in humanity’s history, then?
[/quote]

Probably the late 90s right before the crash. We're in the crash now and it will continue. Hope you like water wars.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Peachfart posted:

You didn't answer the earlier question: If today isn't the best time to be alive(in terms of health/violence/etc), as an average human, when was?

a period without nazis marching through the streets of america would be my first criterion

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

That's the fake group right?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

That's the fake group right?

Fake group? What's this about.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I can't believe this didn't get more discussion in the thread, they're doing social engineering on a country-wide scale to try to stoke racial tensions.

They're not engineering a drat thing, they're just pouring ad money into the super obvious pre-existing lines of conflict in our society. The nation is heavily divided, and they're just encouraging those divisions. The important thing is that they're not creating anything that wasn't already there - they're just twisting the volume dial a little bit.

Condiv posted:

i think nazi uprisings count as violence, and will almost certainly lead to increased violence worldwide if it gets worse. so yeah the statement is flawed as gently caress. we have a nazi sympathizer (if not an actual fascist) who wants to annihilate north korea as our leader too, doesn't seem like non-violent times to me at all

Not just us, either. Right-wing maniacs are gaining power and influence all over Europe, the Middle East is in utter chaos, the resulting flood of refugees is encouraging reactionaries and fascists all over the planet, the number of pariah states with nuclear weapons is growing, various rival superpowers are actively expanding their influence and in some cases openly annexing land from their neighbors, and much much more. We're not exactly living in an era of global peace and harmony right now.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

a period without nazis marching through the streets of america would be my first criterion

So before white people got here?

The idea that we aren't in the most prosperous period in human history is laughably absurd.

You're a reactionary pretending problems that have always existed are somehow worse now than anytime ever. It's stupid.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 27, 2017

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Condiv posted:

It's not "non-violent," it's "less violent than previous times in history," which are different concepts. This actually is not difficult. You'll notice that "non-violent" or synonyms for the same were not contained in either my statement or the statement that sparked this conversation.

It is really bad that there are literal Nazis killing people but you'll note that there are less Nazis killing less people than, say, 1944. It is possible to say "things are getting pretty bad" and also "even the worst of the poo poo going on today is less bad than it was previously."

I understand the point you're trying to make (i.e. focusing on the "poo poo still sucks" portion of the program) but in the process you're being willfully ignorant of what the statement is actually saying and instead responding to a different statement that was never actually made.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fraction Jackson posted:

It's not "non-violent," it's "less violent than previous times in history," which are different concepts. This actually is not difficult. You'll notice that "non-violent" or synonyms for the same were not contained in either my statement or the statement that sparked this conversation.

It is really bad that there are literal Nazis killing people but you'll note that there are less Nazis killing less people than, say, 1944. It is possible to say "things are getting pretty bad" and also "even the worst of the poo poo going on today is less bad than it was previously."

I understand the point you're trying to make (i.e. focusing on the "poo poo still sucks" portion of the program) but in the process you're being willfully ignorant of what the statement is actually saying and instead responding to a different statement that was never actually made.

i disagree that its less violent either. i think things are more violent than they've been in a good while right now. and that things are just going to get more violent

this is not difficult

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

empty whippet box posted:

"A spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security says officials believe there is sufficient capacity of U.S.-flagged vessels to move goods to Puerto Rico. Spokesman David Lapan said most of the humanitarian shipments to Puerto Rico will be through barges, which make up a significant portion of the U.S.-flagged cargo fleet."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

Condiv, you're being kinda silly here. Obama's statement is pretty tone deaf and off-putting, but it's definitely technically true.

Peachfart posted:

This is true, but I take strong issue with positive framing like this because it ignores the fact that there was the potential for vastly greater improvements to life in recent decades that didn't occur due to the money/resources being siphoned to the wealthiest people/organizations, not to mention the fact that a tremendous number of people still fall below a reasonable quality of life. Someone going from "really really loving poor" to just "really loving poor" isn't really worth celebrating so much as "grimly acknowledging."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 27, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Fake group? What's this about.

I thought I remembered them.

https://gizmodo.com/the-right-is-falling-for-its-own-fake-antifa-accounts-1798287977

It's run by rightwing trolls.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

On the one hand that sucks, on the other hand it's funny that the alt-right are trolling themselves.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

Condiv, you're being kinda silly here. Obama's statement is pretty tone deaf and off-putting, but it's definitely technically true.

i don't agree

there has definitely been periods where the world was healthier, wealthier, and less violent than now, including in the recent past when there weren't nazis holding demonstrations on the regular and being so everpresent that jewish communities are hiding out of fear of them

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

empty whippet box posted:

Take your pick:

They are brown and they speak Spanish or "America First!"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Condiv posted:

i don't agree

there has definitely been periods where the world was healthier, wealthier, and less violent than now, including in the recent past when there weren't nazis holding demonstrations on the regular and being so everpresent that jewish communities are hiding out of fear of them

Could you name such a date?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i don't agree

And yet despite being asked... you cannot name one.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Condiv posted:

i don't agree

So basically you're incapable of viewing the world through any lens but that of your own personal lived experience, is what you're saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Tulip posted:

Could you name such a date?

5 years ago it wasn't this bad

yeah, things weren't great, but we didn't have nazi uprisings all over the place quite yet

• Locked thread