Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

Oh. So that's what made Pat blow a vein.

Man! Policenauts kind of loving sucks, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't been watching policenauts, what was it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Andrast posted:

I haven't been watching policenauts, what was it?

The whole latest episode. No need for context prior.

Burgers.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Man! Policenauts kind of loving sucks, huh?

Policenauts is a cautionary tale about how Hideo Kojima needs someone reigning him in so that your game isn't wall-to-wall skeeviness and junk science with very little cohesiveness.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Angry_Ed posted:

Policenauts is a cautionary tale about how Hideo Kojima needs someone reigning him in so that your game isn't wall-to-wall skeeviness and junk science with very little cohesiveness.

I feel lied to that anyone would imply this game is as good as Snatcher, or even in the same ballpark

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

Are you implying that Death Stranding is going to be a clusterfuck?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Policenauts was a long time ago, you know. Things have changed since then.

Thus, Death Stranding is not only going to let the player grope the women, but also the men. especially the men

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

Kojima was given his largest budget and longest production schedule ever, and turned in a few open zones and one and a half boss fights as metal gear 5. This time, he's free of the oppressive publishers and will get to make the game in his heart!

I know everyone's mad at Konami for dousing their game library in gasoline and striking a match, but if my star was Hideo "let me commission ten songs for a million dollars each and decide if i want 'em later" Kojiima I'd get the gently caress out of the video games industry, too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The farther I get fro The Phantom Pain the more I really dislike it. ON top of making GBS threads on literally every character and arc from Peace Walker it just...sucks as its own story. It feels unfinished in large stretches and just fills its time with the most bullshit of MGS bullshit philosophy/sciemce.

It doesn't help that The Boss's big heel turn already happened at the end of Peace Walker so MGSV just feels tangential or vestigial at best. The big plot reveal about Venom Snake exacerbates that problem.

Mechanically it was fantastic, but it struggles in every other area, which makes me really really nervous for Kojima studios.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If they make another game as fun as mgs5 I won't care what the story is

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Death Stranding will prove if Kojima was strangled by Konami and that's why MGS5 was a mess or if the dude REALLY needs to be reined in to make a decent game.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dias posted:

Death Stranding will prove if Kojima was strangled by Konami and that's why MGS5 was a mess or if the dude REALLY needs to be reined in to make a decent game.

So we win either way? Sounds good to me

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The farther I get fro The Phantom Pain the more I really dislike it. ON top of making GBS threads on literally every character and arc from Peace Walker it just...sucks as its own story. It feels unfinished in large stretches and just fills its time with the most bullshit of MGS bullshit philosophy/sciemce.

It doesn't help that The Boss's big heel turn already happened at the end of Peace Walker so MGSV just feels tangential or vestigial at best. The big plot reveal about Venom Snake exacerbates that problem.

Mechanically it was fantastic, but it struggles in every other area, which makes me really really nervous for Kojima studios.

God, the plot of Phantom Pain annoys me so loving much. Even Kojima clearly knew Peace Walker's ending made a closed loop into MG1, so TPP's storyline can be entirely removed from canon with absolutely no impact at all. Which is the dumbest poo poo.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i cannot wait for bomb defusing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lets hang out posted:

If they make another game as fun as mgs5 I won't care what the story is

Same

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm bad at keeping up with Policenauts because it's subtitled so I can't just throw it on while playing Divinity or whatever. I'm back at 17:

I wish this game wasn't such a mix of loving Skeevtown and hate speech, because Lethal Weapon in Space should be a slam dunk, and a lot of the scifi poo poo is cool, like the whole Narc distribution thing.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

God, the plot of Phantom Pain annoys me so loving much. Even Kojima clearly knew Peace Walker's ending made a closed loop into MG1, so TPP's storyline can be entirely removed from canon with absolutely no impact at all. Which is the dumbest poo poo.

I feel like the Zero tapes were actually a positive addition: it was finally a Make Good for the whole MGS3 Cast Are The Patriots thing.

Obviously it's absurd that this is the only positive addition, but it is something!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I actually liked the Venom Snake twist a lot because it played into the theme of the legend of Big Boss vs the reality.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

i cannot wait for bomb defusing.
After a 16 hour work day I come back to yesterday and today's videos and all the stupidity therein and it's the best possible thing.
We get 2 episodes of bomb defusal!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

I actually liked the Venom Snake twist a lot because it played into the theme of the legend of Big Boss vs the reality.

It only sort of works if you don't think about when MGS5 takes place or what it's supposed to be in the overall story of Big Boss. Big Boss at this point is suppose the bad guy planning to overthrow the world order in his own bid for power/following the bosses will. The end of PW already leads him to the whole 'villain of Metal Gear' level of dead inside. The story of Venom and Cypher is ultimately vestigial and adds nothing to any of the characters involved especially since Big boss actually isn't involved in whats happening in the first place. The parasites, Skullface, hell even the poo poo that happens with Huey ultimately just feels like filler. It's toothless, meandering, focused on new things that are alien to anything before or after or focused on over explaining things that didn't need to be explained and ultimately the entire endeavor is unfulfilling and that emptiness is definitely heightened when what little plot that was in the game was unfinished in some major plot points. Everything about Skullface is underdeveloped, and then there's all that poo poo with Liquid and Baby Mantis.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It only sort of works if you don't think about when MGS5 takes place or what it's supposed to be in the overall story of Big Boss. Big Boss at this point is suppose the bad guy planning to overthrow the world order in his own bid for power/following the bosses will. The end of PW already leads him to the whole 'villain of Metal Gear' level of dead inside. The story of Venom and Cypher is ultimately vestigial and adds nothing to any of the characters involved especially since Big boss actually isn't involved in whats happening in the first place. The parasites, Skullface, hell even the poo poo that happens with Huey ultimately just feels like filler. It's toothless, meandering, focused on new things that are alien to anything before or after or focused on over explaining things that didn't need to be explained and ultimately the entire endeavor is unfulfilling and that emptiness is definitely heightened when what little plot that was in the game was unfinished in some major plot points. Everything about Skullface is underdeveloped, and then there's all that poo poo with Liquid and Baby Mantis.

That touches on another reason why TPP annoys me so much: The ending of Peace Walker is so good, and perfectly frames Big Boss' fall into being a megavillain with his army of mercenaries.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it's too bad they're reloading states because the bomb bloopers are pretty funny

lol at spending a minute screwdriving the air though

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I liked the bit about hamburgers.

I also like how the events of MGS5 made people happy that Huey eventually killed himself because his son slept with his second wife.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rhonne posted:

I liked the bit about hamburgers.

I also like how the events of MGS5 made people happy that Huey eventually killed himself because his son slept with his second wife.

I loved watching people play it and go "Uuuegh" and even be kind of sympathetic to Huey almost getting tortured that first time, going to "NO, TORTURE HUEY SUPER HARD ACTUALLY" later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ok so I never really made it far into any lps of mgs5, what'd huey do to warrant the pure hatred people have for him, I hear it was super bad and what I did see of him he was a total sniveling weasel of a character but I wager he pushed it way past the limit at some point

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Ok so I never really made it far into any lps of mgs5, what'd huey do to warrant the pure hatred people have for him, I hear it was super bad and what I did see of him he was a total sniveling weasel of a character but I wager he pushed it way past the limit at some point

I suppose I should spoiler tag this just in case anyone doesn't want it ruined: Huey is directly responsible for the vocal chord parasites infecting Diamond Dogs.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

he almost caused the destruction of humanity, and i'm not talking about metal gear nuclear war or any of that poo poo, but like straight up biological plague that would wipe out everybody. and then he loving tries to shift the blame by saying you murdered your own soldiers(who were infected because of him and were going to die painful deaths) and how can you do that to your own people snake!!!!!! also the reason he modded the vocal cord parasites to do that poo poo was so he could sell it to cipher.

he also killed strangelove, who was the mother of otacon, because she didn't want him to be used as the pilot of the big rear end robot of the game.
huey is the loving worst.

just started the podcast and man they're already on fire in the first 15 minutes.

it's kinda weird how i honestly think the pat/woolie podcasts are straight up the best podcasts they do.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 27, 2017

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Which is good because they're like 40% of podcasts these days!

I still love you Matt!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay yeah gently caress huey, it's good he drowned in a pool what a chode lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nilbop posted:

Which is good because they're like 40% of podcasts these days!

I still love you Matt!
Liam has been forgotten by time.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm one of the guys who's legitimately happy he's gone. I'll never call him a jerk or anything though! Just didn't like his style or interests. Never got swept up into his pace.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay yeah gently caress huey, it's good he drowned in a pool what a chode lol

huey is great because how you view him progresses like stages. at first you have sympathy, then you have contempt, back to sympathy, and then straight to utter contempt for him. out of everyone in the game, including skullface, he is the most reprehensible person.

oh god pat how do you not know that hardcore mode was packed into the game from the beginning aaaaahhhhh.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"WHAT A THING TO SAY WHEN YOU GIVE SOMEONE A GIFT"

Policenauts may be bad but the lp is good aside from the Woolie's Thoughts On Autism segment

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, Dead Space 2 was way shorter than I expected.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

He might have done a ton of totally reprehensible poo poo. He might not have! We never see him do anything heinous and our "heroes" torture Huey, a lot, before anything goes down.

But faced with their own terrible words and deeds, the Diamond Dogs put all their sins on one man and cast him out to sea, so they can be reborn guilt free and amoral. Whether or not Huey tried to destroy the world is beyond the point, really.

Some of MGS5 wasn't actually poo poo? Most of it was, though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

He might have done a ton of totally reprehensible poo poo. He might not have!

It's pretty loving clear dude

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Anyone know off hand the post Omikron podcasts that were just woolie and Pat. Those were v.strong and wanted to revisit them

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Anyone know off hand the post Omikron podcasts that were just woolie and Pat. Those were v.strong and wanted to revisit them

It started with last year's Christmas cast, 176-179 I believe.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Andrast posted:

It's pretty loving clear dude

What convinced you? The room of screaming lunatics, desperate to pretend their extra-national adventures didn't have hideous consequences? The audio recording of Dr. Strangelove that Ocelot turns off just before she changes her story? Or the bioweapon used by XOF, an organization with global reach that certainly didn't need Huey's help getting it onto the base? Hell, Punished Snake could have been the one to infect the base, it wouldn't be the first time he airlifted a diseased soldier in from a war zone, nearly killing everyone.

Huey's weak. Is he evil, too? We don't get to know.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

sounds like we've got a BUNNYHOP on our hands boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rodyle posted:

sounds like we've got a BUNNYHOP on our hands boys
What is he joining them?