Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Boon posted:

Do we really think that Obama doesn't think there are very real problems or is just Condiv just being an rear end in a top hat?

I mean, considering Obama's actions in most fields, I'm far more likely to err towards the default rich guy of "selfish wad" over "kindhearted gentle spirit", no matter how much of a radio voice he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Condiv posted:

5 years ago it wasn't this bad

yeah, things weren't great, but we didn't have nazi uprisings all over the place quite yet

5 years ago ISIS was on the rise, the Syrian Civil War was in full swing, the Lord's Resistance Army, Boko Haram, and FARC were still functional organizations, and Operation Pillar of Defense happened, among other things.

Nazis are real bad and it's really terrifying that they are getting as strong as they are but the continuum of violence is not limited to a scale of how many active Nazis there are, unfortunately.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

sit on my Facebook posted:

So basically you're incapable of viewing the world through any lens but that of your own personal lived experience, is what you're saying

like seriously

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
There isn't a time in the past that is better than today. Period. Condiv is a massive idiot who tries to frame every post as the Democrats are the problem.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There isn't a time in the past that is better than today. Period. Condiv is a massive idiot who tries to frame every post as the Democrats are the problem.

The ice age has an argument

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

yeah, things weren't great, but we didn't have nazi uprisings all over the place quite yet

Holy poo poo, I'm laughing at how incredibly narcissistic this post is. You literally can't understand something outside of your own frame of reference. This explains your lovely ideology soooooo much.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Volkerball posted:

The ice age has an argument

I'm sure you'd gladly exchange your current existence of comfortably posting on the internet for a prehistoric ice age existence.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Condiv posted:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Condiv posted:

5 years ago this forum was collectively mourning the death of a beloved moderator who had been killed in the Benghazi attacks. You really did not put any thought into this response, did you?.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think 1-2 years ago was probably better. The Iran nuclear deal wasn't on the chopping block, and while North Korea was still dangerous, the situation hadn't spiraled quite as out-of-control as it has.

But yeah, I don't have a problem with what Obama said, at least broadly.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 27, 2017

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The world is perfectly safe and good as long as you're not an arab child under a clear blue sky.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sure you'd gladly exchange your current existence of comfortably posting on the internet for a prehistoric ice age existence.

If everyone else died too it would be a worthy sacrifice.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

actually right, but go ahead and believe that the trump era is super peaceful (oh what's that, an uptick in violence?)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

I think 1-2 years ago was probably better. The Iran nuclear deal wasn't on the chopping block, and while North Korea was still dangerous, the situation hadn't spiraled quite as out-of-control as it has.

And Assad still couldn't launch another sarin attack on civilians if he wanted to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Neurolimal posted:

The period with the most scientific and medical advancement, which is the most recent date possible. If that's all we're going to go off of for "things are great" then its a meaningless statement.

And that's really all this statement is: "Things are great. People dont have reason to be restless". It's a sentiment directed at nervous rich people.

This is a more surface-level reading and lack of comprehension than a :spergin: asking why a chicken would be crossing a road in the first place.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

And Assad still couldn't launch another sarin attack on civilians if he wanted to.

I like that you actually think that Assad having fewer chemical weapons than he otherwise would have is somehow a bad thing.:allears:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Condiv posted:

actually right, but go ahead and believe that the trump era is super peaceful (oh what's that, an uptick in violence?)

Sweet unsourced graph that doesn't come close to supporting your claim

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

that dip is 2012. 5 years ago

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

I like that you actually think that Assad having fewer chemical weapons than he otherwise would have is somehow a bad thing.:allears:

I'd rather he was dead and/or buried in a rathole, but I can see the normalizing the use of chemical weapons against internal dissent side of the argument.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Sweet unsourced graph that doesn't come close to supporting your claim

where's your sources?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

He has fewer because he used them to kill civilians in his own country. Not exactly a good look. Unless I'm grossly misreading this.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

where's your sources?

You still haven't provided an actual source. Just an out of context graph with no link to anything to actually provide proof to you argument.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fraction Jackson posted:

5 years ago ISIS was on the rise, the Syrian Civil War was in full swing, the Lord's Resistance Army, Boko Haram, and FARC were still functional organizations, and Operation Pillar of Defense happened, among other things.

Nazis are real bad and it's really terrifying that they are getting as strong as they are but the continuum of violence is not limited to a scale of how many active Nazis there are, unfortunately.

not to mention the exponential rate of medical research and implementation of more precise distribution improving the lives of the third world, thereby reducing dramatically the deaths from communicable disease. that has, you know, increased rapidly in effectiveness even in the last five years.

lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

7c Nickel posted:

Because I feel like you're misallocating blame and by doing so, making future decisions based on bad information. She absolutely could have done things differently and those things absolutely could have swung the election. A good example of this is all the people who smugly go "She lost to DONALD TRUMP!" are making the exact same mistake she did, assuming that how lovely the republican candidate is actually an important factor. She ran too much on pointing out how poo poo he was and not enough on boosting her own turnout.

I am going to be perfectly honest: in her position I would also have spent substantial amount of resources on "it's Donald loving Trump, look at how horrible he is".

This is an absolutely epochal test case regarding the strategy of running against your opponent rather than running for yourself. I will crucify any future Democrat who overemphasizes that, because if it doesn't work against Donald Trump, it doesn't work.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You still haven't provided an actual source. Just an out of context graph with no link to anything to actually provide proof to you argument.

neither have any of you, though you've made plenty of claims

again, the dip at the end there is 2012

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just admit you made a stupid statement so that you could once again 'otherize' everyone who doesn't constantly declare themselves leftist and move on Condiv, jesus. Your bullshit google image search reveals graphs that I too have seen with a basic google search, the problem with your defense is thus:
- There is an impossible burden of proof that 2017 is the best year to be alive because analysis of data is in the retrospective.
- You keep citing extremely focused and narrow metrics of an incredibly small subset of that standard.
- You don't even try to account for wealth and health, just violence.
- A literal hundred other things.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 27, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It is very possible somewhere between 1992 and 2017 will lie the high point in American history and potentially the world.

Sure, as many have pointed out, we can still eek out marginal improvements for years, but if we choose collective mass suicide as a species I'm sure there will be historians who will argue now sometime just before we realized what we've wrought was a peak in human history. The big question is short term peak or all time peak?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Condiv posted:

where's your sources?

I'm going to humor you for just a second and pretend that your histrionic moralizing about your completely sheltered subjective opinion can be swayed with evidence and post this one thing but that's all you get

https://youtu.be/n5DZF7YvwwM

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He has fewer because he used them to kill civilians in his own country. Not exactly a good look. Unless I'm grossly misreading this.

We're talking about the Russian/US chemical weapons deal after the Ghouta attack. I argued Assad only gave up what he wanted, and left himself with enough. Majorian argued he didn't have enough. Then the regime did the Khan Sheikoun attack. Now it's clear he has enough, so the goalposts have shifted. He has enough, but he also has less. The world's shittiest consolation prize.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

[quote="“Condiv”" post="“476802041”"]
neither have any of you, though you’ve made plenty of claims

[/quote]

Man those neolibs really have done a number on humanity over the past 5 years huh

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

neither have any of you, though you've made plenty of claims

Awesome, you also don't understand how to source information or how burden of proof works.

Care to share the links to those sources or perhaps explain why they prove your point? They certainly don't say what you are trying to make them say .

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

He also has less because OPCW destroyed a bunch of them. Volkerball has been clear in his position that this was somehow A Bad Thing.

Volkerball posted:

We're talking about the Russian/US chemical weapons deal after the Ghouta attack. I argued Assad only gave up what he wanted, and left himself with enough. Majorian argued he didn't have enough.

I said nothing of the sort and you know it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Boon posted:

Just admit you made a stupid statement so that you could once again 'otherize' everyone who doesn't constantly declare themselves leftist and move on Condiv, jesus.

nah, better to gently caress this graph i found that only attempts to negate one leg of the argument I am attempting to dispute, spuriously, than admit i would ever be wrong

this from the dude that like a month ago applauded me for having the wherewithal to admit i had a bad thought and typed a bad thing lol

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 27, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Man those neolibs really have done a number on humanity over the past 5 years huh

The peak point of world progress brought to you by Barack Obama and centrists. I'm glad you were able to come to the light condiv.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The peak point of world progress brought to you by Barack Obama and centrist. I'm glad you were able to come to the light condiv.

You still don't see how neoliberalism made Trump inevitable, huh?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Like you can post graphs about super specific topics like "state sponsored mass killing incidents" or whatever the gently caress all you want but you're not even interpreting your own poo poo right in the view of history, you're pointing at one peak in a downward trend line and extrapolating that to be "an uptick" in historical violence, which is just like what dipshit climate skeptics do with misleading graphs of historical temperature all the time and, newsflash, you're exactly as correct as they are

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

You still don't see how neoliberalism made Trump inevitable, huh?

You're a moron.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Awesome, you also don't understand how to source information or how burden of proof works.

Care to share the links to those sources or perhaps explain why they prove your point? They certainly don't say what you are trying to make them say .

you realize the last two graphs i posted have sources for them? listed at the bottom?

but sure fine:

https://www.earlywarningproject.org/about

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...y_peaceful.html

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Like you can post graphs about super specific topics like "state sponsored mass killing incidents" or whatever the gently caress all you want but you're not even interpreting your own poo poo right in the view of history, you're pointing at one peak in a downward trend line and extrapolating that to be "an uptick" in historical violence, which is just like what dipshit climate skeptics do with misleading graphs of historical temperature all the time and, newsflash, you're exactly as correct as they are

did you want me to write a thesis about why you guys are wrong? what effort have you guys put in other than to tell me i'm definitely very wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

you realize the last two graphs i posted have sources for them? listed at the bottom?

but sure fine:

https://www.earlywarningproject.org/about

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...y_peaceful.html

And how do those sources actually prove the point you were flailing to make? Please be explicit.

• Locked thread