Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

No, Little Snitch 3 and 4 needed a patch for HS compatibility and as far as I know it doesn't even touch the file system. Same for Macs Fan Control.

My feeling is if a dev minded their p's and q's and strictly followed Apple guidelines they don't need patching. However there are times when you might find you can't..

Did the notes for those Little Snitch and Fan Control patches say it was about APFS specifically? Because those are programs I'd expect to have potential breakage on every major OS X release. For example LS needs to use some rarely-used (by ordinary software) low level APIs to get itself in position to sniff every network packet. Any time Apple decides to change how the security around those APIs works, apps that use that stuff going to have to change to match.

e: f, very beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Has anyone with their machine bound to an Active Directory domain upgraded to High Sierra yet? I'm wondering if it's going to gently caress up the domain membership. I have a corporate laptop and some leeway with what I do with it but it's joined to the domain and I don't really want to leave it with IT for a day just to re-bind.

Also my un-bound iMac desktop is sitting at 40 minutes but it has a fusion drive. All this time I thought the long wait was APFS conversion but I guess not (?) as it's about the same time frame as all my pure-SSD machines.

I'll answer my own question in case anyone else is in my boat. I did have troubles logging into my AD account after HS upgrade; Quick fix was to just un-bind and re-bind to the domain.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ars hosted an excellent APFS preview by a ZFS developer last year, most of it is still relevant.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/a-zfs-developers-analysis-of-the-good-and-bad-in-apples-new-apfs-file-system/

Sounds promising but for the first time in over a decade of OS X releases I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.
Thanks for betatesting my future desktop file-system. :tipshat:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

eames posted:

Thanks for betatesting my future desktop file-system. :tipshat:
Thank iOS users.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Generic Monk posted:

like most (all? i don't use quicktime player) h264 encoded media it still has to be in an mp4 container, so if you're trying to play mkvs or something quicktime and the related system apis still won't read those.

They were HEVCs in mp4 container, but apparently they were tagged as hev1 while macOS only recognizes them tagged as hvc1. I have no idea what the distinction is and I loving hate video codec poo poo for exactly these kinds of things. But, it's fixable without a reencode so it could be worse.

Can anyone check the quarantine issue I mentioned yesterday? If someone on High Sierra and APFS is willing, here's what to do:

1. Download an image or pdf from the web
2. Open it in Preview or similar, then close it again.
3. In terminal type
code:
xattr [filename]
4. Tell me if com.apple.quarantine is listed.

Thanks. The quarantine verification is quick enough to be insignificant for small files but takes a lot longer with a big video file.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, anyone know how to get rid of a google talk account in Messages now? There's no option to remove it from the Accounts menu, I've tried to rm the com.apple.iChat.Jabber* plists in ~/L/AS, etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Ugh, anyone know how to get rid of a google talk account in Messages now? There's no option to remove it from the Accounts menu, I've tried to rm the com.apple.iChat.Jabber* plists in ~/L/AS, etc.

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Remove Google Account

Messages is tied into the system's internet accounts now, I believe.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

They were HEVCs in mp4 container, but apparently they were tagged as hev1 while macOS only recognizes them tagged as hvc1. I have no idea what the distinction is and I loving hate video codec poo poo for exactly these kinds of things. But, it's fixable without a reencode so it could be worse.

Can anyone check the quarantine issue I mentioned yesterday? If someone on High Sierra and APFS is willing, here's what to do:

1. Download an image or pdf from the web
2. Open it in Preview or similar, then close it again.
3. In terminal type
code:
xattr [filename]
4. Tell me if com.apple.quarantine is listed.

Thanks. The quarantine verification is quick enough to be insignificant for small files but takes a lot longer with a big video file.

yeah i just converted something with handbrake with the h265 preset and quicktime doesn't play it despite it showing up as h265 when i open the inspector in iina. bit dumb

also i'm getting the quarantine thing as well. opening video files from the finder results in it sitting there for like 20 seconds while it verifies it. here's what i get on a dl-ed image after opening with preview

code:
Maxs-Mac-mini:Desktop max$ xattr 220px-Hitler_portrait_crop.jpg 
com.apple.lastuseddate#PS
com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags
com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate
com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms
com.apple.metadata:kMDLabel_refwmitdqg2wmuyfatpcp26ksm
com.apple.quarantine

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 26, 2017

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Generic Monk posted:

yeah i just converted something with handbrake with the h265 preset and quicktime doesn't play it despite it showing up as h265 when i open the inspector in iina. bit dumb

also i'm getting the quarantine thing as well. opening video files from the finder results in it sitting there for like 20 seconds while it verifies it. here's what i get on a dl-ed image

code:
Maxs-Mac-mini:Desktop max$ xattr 220px-Hitler_portrait_crop.jpg 
com.apple.lastuseddate#PS
com.apple.metadata:_kMDItemUserTags
com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate
com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms
com.apple.metadata:kMDLabel_refwmitdqg2wmuyfatpcp26ksm
com.apple.quarantine

Thanks! I assume the quarantine issue will be fixed in an update if it's affecting everyone, I can't think of a good reason to continually rescan a media file once it's been opened. Surprising nobody caught it in the betas tho.

For anyone who needs it, the fix in terminal is
code:
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine [filename]

The HEVC issue can be fixed, it seems, with ffmpeg or mp4box, per the Q&A here..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Huh, just tried to upload an HEIC jpg from my El Capitan Mac to imgur, and imgur poo poo the bed.

If I do it from my iPhone, everything is fine. I get the feeling the iOS app is doing the translating from HEIC format jpg to standard jpg.

eames
May 9, 2009

HVEC with old Sierra seems to be a hot mess. When I try to import a 4K 60 fps HVEC video from my phone to Photos.app it seems to live transcode to 4K 60 fps 113,4 Mbit/s h.264 on the phone during the import.

Dragging that from Photos.app to the Desktop triggers another transcode (this time on the mac CPU) resulting in a 4K 30 fps file with 37,73 Mbit/s. :bravo:

I'm just curious if my 2,3 Ghz quadcore Haswell could even decode the original file in software.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

eames posted:

HVEC with old Sierra seems to be a hot mess. When I try to import a 4K 60 fps HVEC video from my phone to Photos.app it seems to live transcode to 4K 60 fps 113,4 Mbit/s h.264 on the phone during the import.

Dragging that from Photos.app to the Desktop triggers another transcode (this time on the mac CPU) resulting in a 4K 30 fps file with 37,73 Mbit/s. :bravo:

I'm just curious if my 2,3 Ghz quadcore Haswell could even decode the original file in software.

Because old Sierra doesn't support HVEC?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

eames posted:

It also seems to have broken your decimals.

eames
May 9, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Because old Sierra doesn't support HVEC?

Then it could just deny import of that particular video until the phone camera option is set to "maximum compatability"?

I could open the raw file in VLC/Premiere/whatever but the phone doesn't let me extract HVEC files at all, not even with the simple Image Capture.app. It just seems to auto-transcode to h.264 as soon as you attach it to a Sierra computer. I'm kind of curious if it even keeps the original HVEC file on the phone.

IUG posted:

It also seems to have broken your decimals.

no thanks, they're fine :)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

eames posted:

Then it could just deny import of that particular video until the phone camera option is set to "maximum compatability"?

I could open the raw file in VLC/Premiere/whatever but the phone doesn't let me extract HVEC files at all, not even with the simple Image Capture.app. It just seems to auto-transcode to h.264 as soon as you attach it to a Sierra computer. I'm kind of curious if it even keeps the original HVEC file on the phone.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Sierra doesn't support HVEC because it doesn't support it. It can't transcode a file itself because it doesn't support it, so it falls back on using the phone to transcode it, which is actually a pretty good solution for backwards compatibility's sake.

You're saying it should just ignore the video you're attempting to import and not let you import it if you haven't updated to High Sierra? I don't see how that's better if you just want the drat video on your computer.

eames
May 9, 2009

I don't want to upgrade to High Sierra (perhaps after a few point releases, because of the mandatory APFS migration) but do wish to save the raw HVEC files on my system so I can archive them on my NAS, that's all.
Apple's auto-transcode system in Sierra — as useful as it may be for the average user — makes this impossible. Even Airdrop kicks off an automatic h.264 transcode.

Denying import in Photos.app and allowing import of the untouched HVEC file through Image Capture.app would have been my expected behavior.
Guess I'll just have to use a third party iOS file syncing app. :shrug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Here's an interesting APFS FAQ that someone wrote:

http://macstrategy.com/article.php?188

He's wrong about the optional conversion for third party drives- I have a Samsung SM951 instead of Apple's SSD and it upgraded to APFS automagically.

There's also a small list of apps that are definitely not APFS compatible:

Alsoft DiskWarrior v5
Carbon Copy Cloner 4
Google Drive
SoftRAID 5.x
SuperDuper!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

Denying import in Photos.app and allowing import of the untouched HVEC file through Image Capture.app would have been my expected behavior.
Guess I'll just have to use a third party iOS file syncing app. :shrug:

This is what I did, a good one is PhoneView, it's worth the $30 to me.

Lets you copy directly from the phone with no transcoding; as I said, that's how I got the HEVC movs to play; transferred using PhoneView then loaded them on a Sierra (later upgraded to High Sierra) laptop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pivo posted:

Were you in the middle of using AirPlay when you put the device to sleep?

No. I use AirPlay to stream tv shows to fall asleep to, and then in the morning when I pack up the laptop (which has been on power and awake all night) the Apple TV has gone to sleep on its own.

Forcing the Apple TV to sleep/wake does not seem to have an effect; if the connection is working when I sleep it, it keeps working when I wake it up, and if it's not, it doesn't.

Thanks for replying at least, this is more than I've ever gotten out of the official Apple support forum

eames
May 9, 2009

Thanks, looks like I found a better solution.
"Settings -> Photos -> Transfer to Mac or PC -> Keep Originals" in iOS11 seems to disable on-the-fly transcoding for transfers to seemingly incompatible OSes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Data Graham posted:

No. I use AirPlay to stream tv shows to fall asleep to, and then in the morning when I pack up the laptop (which has been on power and awake all night) the Apple TV has gone to sleep on its own.

Forcing the Apple TV to sleep/wake does not seem to have an effect; if the connection is working when I sleep it, it keeps working when I wake it up, and if it's not, it doesn't.

Thanks for replying at least, this is more than I've ever gotten out of the official Apple support forum

Well, I was thinking, if AirPlay was on and the machine went to sleep and then ATV couldn't find the machine again, that's at least some sort of semblance of a reproducible bug maybe. But OTOH, "ATV goes to sleep while in AirPlay and subsequently can't find that machine again" is also a reportable bug. I don't know about Apple Support, but you could file a bug report ... and in the meantime, try a workaround:

Set up a sleep timer with AppleScript that kills AirPlay, maybe this can help: http://tech.adroll.com/blog/terminal/2014/09/26/introducing-aircontrol-control-airplay-through-terminal.html
so that the ATV doesn't go to sleep with the AirPlay active.

Or, try using Beamer.app to stream TV shows directly to the ATV from your MacBook (if you have the files, that is) without AirPlay.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

Thanks, looks like I found a better solution.
"Settings -> Photos -> Transfer to Mac or PC -> Keep Originals" in iOS11 seems to disable on-the-fly transcoding for transfers to seemingly incompatible OSes.

Pretty sure on the iOS device if you select Settings -> Camera -> Formats -> Most Compatible does this too, at the cost of bigger pics/movies (IE no HEVC / HEIC compression.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pivo posted:

Well, I was thinking, if AirPlay was on and the machine went to sleep and then ATV couldn't find the machine again, that's at least some sort of semblance of a reproducible bug maybe. But OTOH, "ATV goes to sleep while in AirPlay and subsequently can't find that machine again" is also a reportable bug. I don't know about Apple Support, but you could file a bug report ... and in the meantime, try a workaround:

Set up a sleep timer with AppleScript that kills AirPlay, maybe this can help: http://tech.adroll.com/blog/terminal/2014/09/26/introducing-aircontrol-control-airplay-through-terminal.html
so that the ATV doesn't go to sleep with the AirPlay active.

Or, try using Beamer.app to stream TV shows directly to the ATV from your MacBook (if you have the files, that is) without AirPlay.

Hmm, okay. Or I can have the AppleScript just quit iTunes, right? Doesn't that do the same thing? (I'm not sure if AirPlay Mirroring is the same thing as streaming stuff off my MBP's iTunes via ATV...)

(e: reading up) Okay, no, AirPlay Mirroring isn't what I'm talking about. I'm using iTunes. ATV connects to it via the "Computers" option and lets me browse my iTunes collections via its own interface. And that's what breaks each day; the laptop stops showing up in "Computers".

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah that's not AirPlay Mirroring... I don't have a workaround for that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thanks anyway. Just posted a bug, will see if it gets anywhere.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Here's an interesting APFS FAQ that someone wrote:

http://macstrategy.com/article.php?188

He's wrong about the optional conversion for third party drives- I have a Samsung SM951 instead of Apple's SSD and it upgraded to APFS automagically.

There's also a small list of apps that are definitely not APFS compatible:

Alsoft DiskWarrior v5
Carbon Copy Cloner 4
Google Drive
SoftRAID 5.x
SuperDuper!

Google Drive is deprecated in favour of Google Backup & Sync now, which is working fine for me.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Does anyone know how to download macOS Sierra?

Apple apparently pulled it from the App Store.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I had to reinstall High Sierra after converting to APFS. I use an external system drive with FileVault that didn't get converted automatically. I think what happened was, when I converted it in Recovery, Disk Utility replaced the HFS+ FileVault bootloader with the APFS non-FileVault bootloader, so the system wouldn't decrypt the drive and failed to boot. Reinstalling fixed it. I don't know of any better way to fix that or prevent that from happening; installing twice is still faster than disabling and re-enabling FileVault. Maybe there's some magic fdesetup command I can do to suspend protection without decrypting the disk.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
nVidia web drivers are now available, let's do this you nerve wrackin' sons o' bitches! :shepicide:

e: Bootcamp drivers do not recognise APFS, so you can't boot into MacOS directly within Windows anymore. :smithicide:

Theophany fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xenomorph posted:

:filez: and just make sure the checksum matches up

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a 2013 Mac Mini that I pulled the excruticatingy slow 500GB platter drive out of and replaced with a 500GB WD Blue SSD (very fast).

I shouldn’t have an issue installing the new OS and filesystem, right? I don’t know if the Mac Mini knows it’s an SSD or platter drive. I think it does because I think TRIM is enabled.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Theophany posted:

nVidia web drivers are now available, let's do this you nerve wrackin' sons o' bitches! :shepicide:

e: Bootcamp drivers do not recognise APFS, so you can't boot into MacOS directly within Windows anymore. :smithicide:

macOS doesn't recognize BitLocker, so I'm used to it by now. rEFInd is a godsend.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Double Punctuation posted:

macOS doesn't recognize BitLocker, so I'm used to it by now. rEFInd is a godsend.

If you're on a video card that isn't EFI flashed for MacOS though you're still hosed as you have no graphics output until an OS and the requisite display drivers have loaded.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Xenomorph posted:

Looks like I upgraded to Sierra just in time! :corsair:

Definitely not feeling the need to jump to High Sierra. My home Mac doesn't get used much so getting to it in the next 6-12 months will do just fine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Theophany posted:

If you're on a video card that isn't EFI flashed for MacOS though you're still hosed as you have no graphics output until an OS and the requisite display drivers have loaded.

Use option and the left/right arrow keys.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

I have a 2013 Mac Mini that I pulled the excruticatingy slow 500GB platter drive out of and replaced with a 500GB WD Blue SSD (very fast).

I shouldn’t have an issue installing the new OS and filesystem, right? I don’t know if the Mac Mini knows it’s an SSD or platter drive. I think it does because I think TRIM is enabled.
A month or two ago I picked up a Late-2012 Mac Mini and replaced the HDD with a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Last night I upgraded to High Sierra without incident, and can confirm that my drive was migrated over to APFS too.

You should be fine :)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Luceo posted:

Not sure if this should go here or in the iPhone/iPad/iOS apps thread, but ever since upgrading my iPod touch to iOS11, iTunes bounces its dock icon at me every few minutes (a bouncing iTunes dock icon is never good news) and says:

If I actually go unlock the iPod, it shuts up for a few hours. If I cancel, it comes back in a few minutes to ask again. This is pretty annoying, to say the least, since I've been able to control iPods wirelessly for years without having to do that. Any ideas?

Generic Monk posted:

maybe try toggling wifi sync on and off?

Tried that, and plugged it in with a USB cable and synced it between toggles. It's not complaining about my iPad, either, so iTunes is being selectively dumb. :saddowns:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IAmKale posted:

A month or two ago I picked up a Late-2012 Mac Mini and replaced the HDD with a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Last night I upgraded to High Sierra without incident, and can confirm that my drive was migrated over to APFS too.

You should be fine :)

Yeah, mine was a breeze too and I presume poster either has a 2012 like us, or a 2014, as I'm not aware of a 2013 model.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Did you guys see iStat Menus 6 is out? It's sexy. Dark Sky weather is too cool, although you have to pay for a subscription, $2/yr ain't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wdarkk posted:

Use option and the left/right arrow keys.

FWIW, and it's an incredibly narrow usage case, but if you're rocking an old cheesegrater with a non-flashed GPU, you won't be able to update your EFI firmware unless you've got an EFI flashed GPU installed. I had to put my old GTX 680 back in, do the update and MacOS upgrade, then put the GTX 980 Ti back in and update the nVidia drivers with Teamviewer.

It's almost cathartic to know Apple are going to drop these majestic machines like a hot turd when the next MacOS release comes around.