Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Aww cucumber is so nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

maswastaken posted:

...why else would they be using the Crystal Kingdom wand cleaning service other than because they're in the Crystal Kingdom?

I guess? I'm just saying it's kind of a weird transition from everyone out in the snow to being in a LA/Hollywood type city. Whatever though, fantasy climatology was never my strong suit back in college :v:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
... why do I feel that this is leading up to an enormous pun? That Liquis' power is charged by shipping?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

WarpedNaba posted:

... why do I feel that this is leading up to an enormous pun? That Liquis' power is charged by shipping?

it needs a positive charge

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gigi's said she's taking a bit of a hiatus soon, and that these breaks are going to be more regular things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

Gigi's said she's taking a bit of a hiatus soon, and that these breaks are going to be more regular things.
Has she said what for? Hopefully she's doing okay herself and isn't burning out or anything like that.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Captain Invictus posted:

Has she said what for? Hopefully she's doing okay herself and isn't burning out or anything like that.

She said it's for the sake of her health.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/911443649770119168
https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/911445606979182593

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Fair enough - drawing was something I could never get the hang of.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bummer, but it is perfectly understandable. Hope they recover soon but, most importantly, well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I hope they the end the comic, personally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hope they the end the comic, personally.
Are you okay, Bravest? You're really off your game.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not enough Clevimber edits I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think anything's wrong with her right now, she just wants to take regular breaks so she doesn't burn herself out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

Not enough Clevimber edits I guess.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think anything's wrong with her right now, she just wants to take regular breaks so she doesn't burn herself out.

Wish I could say the same - Remuneration month's a bitch.

What's this Clevimber stuff?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cucumber and Nautilus Achieved C Support!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I gotta say, I haven't been feeling the Crystal Kingdom chapters. The dialogue and character art are as good as they've always been, but every other aspect of the art is just gone. There's no sense of place. It's like the Crystal Kingdom is just a series of featureless planes. That style gave the Flower Kingdom a phantasmagoric vibe, but if that's how the rest of the series is going to be it's not going to work. It's hard to tell when Cucumber and co. move to a different location, which makes it more difficult than it should be to understand what's happening plot-wise. I know Gigi has health issues and is busy revising the previous pages for publication, but it's really hard to stay interested.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My main problem with the story at this stage is just that Cucumber and company is just so much less interesting than Peridot/Cordelia/NK. I had to think for a bit where we even left off with our main characters. That sounds overly harsh though because it's not that Cucumber's story isn't good, and more that it had just been a while and that run of Peridot stories was so good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The story has really lost direction.

Cucumber and co are still trying to defeat the DMs and collect autographs, right? Have we even seen the DM for the Crystal Kingdoms?

We've seen Glitchmaster cause havok, we've seen Thebestmaster set up plot points that will be important five years down the line, but the actual person our heroes are supposed to be pursuing is completely absent.

Are the Crystal Kingdom's even under attack?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I... kind of agree, now that you mention it. This has been a very cute arc, but it's also lost all sense of urgency and threat the story had.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I feel like it's building up to a sudden burst of peril.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Bongo Bill posted:

I feel like it's building up to a sudden burst of peril.
We're going to cut to the B team and it's just a full page shot of Quakemaster punching through Carrot's chest.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, I mean, Dreamside isn't in peril. We already know that the Nightmare Knight will step in to avoid any actual harm his Disaster Masters do, so they're no longer a threat.

The two main plot threads are (a) helping Double Knight save his children and (b) the looming threat of Dave.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Shut up nerds.

New page has gone up!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Almond is never going to let Peridot live this down.

Ever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

They are officially in the "she's not my girlfriend!" level of the relationship.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Schwarzwald posted:

The story has really lost direction.

Cucumber and co are still trying to defeat the DMs and collect autographs, right? Have we even seen the DM for the Crystal Kingdoms?

We've seen Glitchmaster cause havok, we've seen Thebestmaster set up plot points that will be important five years down the line, but the actual person our heroes are supposed to be pursuing is completely absent.

Are the Crystal Kingdom's even under attack?

It could be the case it's not following the typical 'legend-hero-quest' since Cucumber (and N.K., a bit) are trying to actively dismantle it.

Hence, why Steve could be such a danger.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

They are officially in the "she's not my girlfriend!" level of the relationship.

I don't think it hits that point until they both do that.

Don't think Almond ever denied it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ha ha ha, it's literally :siren: MY GIRLFRIEND :siren: at this point :allears:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

the smug face is off the chartd

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I... kind of agree, now that you mention it. This has been a very cute arc, but it's also lost all sense of urgency and threat the story had.

I think it's because we've spent so long away from the main characters with Steve and the NK/Peri aside.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Now would be as good a time as any for "on no quakemaster is loving poo poo up' moments.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I think that the "slump" is due to the fact that the story itself has slowed down after the breakneck pace of the Flower Kingdom, especially the boss fight against Rosemaster; but also because the pace of the updates has slowed down too, from four, five, sometimes six pages per week to just two. This is a breather chapter anyway, more focused on character development instead of story progression, and I'm sure that when we'll look back upon it later on and re-read it in one go it will be perfectly fine, but reading it as it's publish it really feels like it's dragging on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We've just been in the middle of another interlude just like has happened in between every chapter.

We're about to start chapter 5 and we'll be diving right into the Crystal Kingdom's problems and the disaster master so hold your horses

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samovar posted:

It could be the case it's not following the typical 'legend-hero-quest' since Cucumber (and N.K., a bit) are trying to actively dismantle it.

Hence, why Steve could be such a danger.

Cucumber seems receptive to dismantling it, and probably wants to dismantle it, but he's not actively going about dismantling it.

This is a reflection of the larger issue, which is Cucumber isn't actively doing anything, he mostly reacts to the circumstances and dangers around him. This was fine when there's a flashy, visible DM to aim him (and his friends) at, but now that there isn't it's become a real drag on the story.

It's kind of appropriate in a way. CQ is styled after older console RPGs (I think the Paper Mario's specifically?) and the story has finally reached the dull point in the middle.

Regy Rusty posted:

We've just been in the middle of another interlude just like has happened in between every chapter.

We're about to start chapter 5 and we'll be diving right into the Crystal Kingdom's problems and the disaster master so hold your horses

The interlude was Cucumber and co. being menaced by Glitchmaster, Nightmare Knight explaining his backstory to the Princess, and Saturday stealing the magic sword.

We're 75 pages into chapter 5 already, with the previous chapters being around 150 pages each.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think according to Gigi, it's still the interlude. Have we gotten a chapter 5 splash yet?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You people are really overreacting.

Also seriously CQ was never about 'urgency and threat'. It's about cute bunny people having adventures and learning life lessons.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 27, 2017

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Yeah, it's still the interlude.

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/911442904853315585

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

We're 75 pages into chapter 5 already, with the previous chapters being around 150 pages each.

Chapter 4, titled "Mismastered" was about Thebestmaster and ended a bit ago. We are currently still in the interlude between that chapter and chapter 5 which has yet to start.

You're looking all the way back to the last interlude between 3 and 4.