Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

star trek should not be grim and dark imo but instead a bit campy and fun!!!

a very hot take, from me

Clawtopsy posted:

i blame game of thrones

https://youtu.be/2fPgIIB67bw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

revolther posted:

It basically has to be set in the "Kelvin" timeline because they've stated that Shenzhen(?) is an old model ship without the newest features (old style transporters) but it's technology outpaces DS9 with it's holographic comms displays. The tech not lining up is more important than klingon head ridges lining up.

The Trek lore has established that the four quadrants of the milky way galaxy are so expansive and huge that all of the federation space is merely in the alpha quadrant with tons more to explore, and the delta/gamma/beta? quadrants are like 70 years of travel at the fastest warp minimum. That kind of technological jump would really take trek out of the realm of something we recognize all together. Maybe the three nacell enterprise was doing it in the futurey tng episode, but it would be bullshit regardless.

Plus the writer's would lose the ability to just have instantly believable space lore, having access to a bunch of stars already charted and named for you has probably gone a long way towards lending this goofy franchise some credibility.

They confirmed that it's set in the original time line if I recall correctly, not the Kelvin timeline.

As for the Galaxy, the Romulans and some others are in the Beta quadrant, and alpha and beta is basically all the major powers bar two, the Dominion and the Borg.

Since the Gamma quadrant is still the Dominion nest and the Delta quadrant if infested with Borg, if we had peacefully "absorbed" the alpha and beta quadrants I would say "gently caress those poo poo hole quadrants" and try to skip the galaxy.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Yeah, the sol system is actually the dividing line between the alpha and beta quadrants.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so I watched the second episode of the hot new show and was more entertained.

It basically looks like a Star Trek movie, but has the plot of the TV show.

Lead is a good actress. Klingon actors sound like they're stumbling through their lines.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i didnt know you speak klingon

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
p'Achtok!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

watched the first two eps of The Orville

i like it more than seth macfarlanes other stuff

its not horrible

:shrug:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New star trek seems ok, I just hope every episode doesn't focus around autism first officer, she is annoying.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You hoped wrong.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

soy posted:

New star trek seems ok, I just hope every episode doesn't focus around autism first officer, she is annoying.

She doens't bother me nearly as much as the soul hunter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Holy poo poo! He totally is a soul hunter! He's my favorite character though

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

One thing about The Orville though, where is the background ambient "quantum drive" noise?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

you shouldn't be hauling garbage, you should be hauled away as garbage!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

VideoGames posted:

It was just as great as the new Trek films,
This is incredibly damning praise.

MA-Horus posted:

The Orville has a sentient green blob that grows a dick

It is voiced by Norm McDonald

if you have a problem with norm, I invite you to get the gently caress out

Dude, why didn't you tell me this before? If it has Norm in it, I'm there!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Holy poo poo! He totally is a soul hunter! He's my favorite character though

What about Ensign Daft Punk?

But I just didn't really care for him. "Lets run away!" isn't a very good character trait IMHO, and "I was bred to sense death." is dumb and killed it for me. Sensing the fear of death might be cool, I dunno, but "I sense death" is just dumb.

The show looks pretty good, and I am kind of curious to see where they're going with this. I just fear it's not a very good Trek show. But maybe by the end of the season they'll really hammer home that Trek message, I dunno.

Also goddamn at the end of episode 2. I haven't seen Starfleet come down that hard on anybody ever. Unless you ignore the warning buoys and fly to Talos IV.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

he doesn't literally have "death sense ability" dude

The General
Mar 4, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

he doesn't literally have "death sense ability" dude

I'm not going to say I'm not dumb. But that's exactly what he said. "My species was bred to do one thing, sense death."

I didn't get as "Well, we've had some rough times, and I feel like this is going to end poorly." It was "This is going to end poorly, I was bred to be able to tell you, this is going to end in death. I know this because it is what my species does."

The General fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 27, 2017

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The General posted:

I'm not going to say I'm not dumb. But that's exactly what he said. "My species was bred to do one thing, sense death."

I didn't get as "Well, we've had some rough times, and I feel like this is going to end poorly." It was "This is going to end poorly, I was bred to be able to tell you, this is going to end in death. I know this because it is what my species does."

it was in the context of the food chain, they're a prey species unlike humans. like an antelope or whatever is "bred to sense death" in the same way, dude was making an argument for running because as a species used to being hunted he'd know when something fishy is happening.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

it was in the context of the food chain, they're a prey species unlike humans. like an antelope or whatever is "bred to sense death" in the same way, dude was making an argument for running because as a species used to being hunted he'd know when something fishy is happening.

Yeah, I can see that. I hope to god you are right.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The General posted:

Yeah, I can see that. I hope to god you are right.

if it actually is him being diana troi that'll be so dumb lol

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The General posted:

But I just didn't really care for him. "Lets run away!" isn't a very good character trait IMHO, and "I was bred to sense death." is dumb and killed it for me. Sensing the fear of death might be cool, I dunno, but "I sense death" is just dumb.
Yeah, that was probably the worst part of the pilot. Why would someone genetically engineer cattle to be able to sense when they're gonna die?

quote:

The show looks pretty good, and I am kind of curious to see where they're going with this. I just fear it's not a very good Trek show. But maybe by the end of the season they'll really hammer home that Trek message, I dunno.
I'm willing to look over the flaws in the pilot given the bumpy production bullshit. I have no idea at what point Fuller left, but given he left partly because CBS insisted on Semel directing I'd think it was fairly early. I'm gonna reserve judgement to see what Berg and Harberts did.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The I can sense death line was pretty lame, whether it was meant literally or not (it wasn't meant literally) but fish bro was completely correct, about going to visit the random unknown object and also about noping out when a giant unknown vessel suddenly appeared right in front of them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Infidel Castro posted:

Yeah, that was probably the worst part of the pilot. Why would someone genetically engineer cattle to be able to sense when they're gonna die?

Fear tastes good.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

shadow puppet of a posted:

Klingons venerating the bodies of the dead? I'm appalled.

Then they booby trap a body, which would be a war crime in this age, to blow off the bridge of the sarcophagus ship.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

By the end you kinda understand why the main character is a constant fuckup but for awhile there it really felt like Sasha had been teleported from the Walking Dead

'Gotta move the plot forward, time to do something stupid.'

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Worf has said plenty of dumb as poo poo lines so i gave that sense fear line a pass, ty for reading

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doug Jones looks like he'll be a lot of fun.

Also, if Michael knows Sarek, then she'll probably be aware of Spock. I wonder if any of the movie actors will make cameos, considering Kirk and Spock would be active at this time.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
watching the first std episode the only thing I can say so far is KEEP THE GOD drat CAMERA LEVEL gently caress

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
that's one thing I thought Orville has done well so far: it's shot like star trek for the most part

The General
Mar 4, 2007

big black turnout posted:

watching the first std episode the only thing I can say so far is KEEP THE GOD drat CAMERA LEVEL gently caress

I am hoping in season 2 they will find it in the budget to buy a non-broken camera mount.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Arcsquad12 posted:

Doug Jones looks like he'll be a lot of fun.

Also, if Michael knows Sarek, then she'll probably be aware of Spock. I wonder if any of the movie actors will make cameos, considering Kirk and Spock would be active at this time.

Nope, they spent all the budget on lens flare effects, no money for cameos.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Artisanal hand crafted lens flares.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watching the preview, it's good to see Elias Toufexis survived getting eaten by the protomolecule over on The Expanse to have further bit part cameos in Science Fiction shows filmed in Canada. I suppose when they said that STD was trying to poach production crew from The Expanse, all they could steal was Elias.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
well ill keep pirate streaming it to see what happens because im at least curious, but Orville is the better trek show so far tbh

edit: also why didn't the captain use any of the knowledge she gained from hundred eyes' scrolls to fight the klingons smh

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

big black turnout posted:

Wait, so the whole show looks like Battlefield: Earth?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasn't really paying attention to most of it, but was there a stated reason why they could only send over two people to attack an enemy ship?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wasn't really paying attention to most of it, but was there a stated reason why they could only send over two people to attack an enemy ship?

Most of the rest of the crew was dead or incapacitated?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The Orville fuckin rules.

:2bong:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Most of the rest of the crew was dead or incapacitated?

so there wasn't a technical limitation? man, that scene would have gone a lot differently if they had sent along a redshirt or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

It has zero pretensions. It's the closest we are gonna get to a proper Trek in TYOOL 2017.

I can look past MacFarelane's humor, maybe even enjoy it because of how groan worthy it can get, it's trademark of his stuff and perhaps even if you don't like it it's part of what makes it different from other attempts at sci-fi.

I give it a solid 7.5/10 so far.