Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gaz-L posted:

Fun little opinion question: What change have you seen a creative team make to a property that feels like it should stick or is an all-around improvement, that hasn't really? It can be a retcon that was dropped after the run, a reinterpretation from an Elseworlds/What If or similar or anything really.

Mine is probably the implied fact from Max Landis' American Alien mini that Martha Kent was the Smallville vet. That's one of those touches that just makes so much sense that I'm amazed it's never been done before.

Wally West as The Flash
Booster Gold Time & Multiverse Cop
JLA: Year One JLA origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Fun little opinion question: What change have you seen a creative team make to a property that feels like it should stick or is an all-around improvement, that hasn't really? It can be a retcon that was dropped after the run, a reinterpretation from an Elseworlds/What If or similar or anything really.

Mine is probably the implied fact from Max Landis' American Alien mini that Martha Kent was the Smallville vet. That's one of those touches that just makes so much sense that I'm amazed it's never been done before.
Spider-Man being unmasked. I honestly think it really, really should have stuck.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think I mentioned at some point that I was going to read all of the New Universe comics, using a chronology guide that someone over on the CMRO forums cooked up. It's a good guide, actually, and it's really enhanced my enjoyment of reading them all. I'm impressed with what must have been some pretty thoughtful editorial guidance in keeping things consistent according to the running clock in each book as compared to the NU as a whole.

Cool!

I have about 75% of the New Universe books in floppies and figured I'd pick up the remainder from dollar bins and do something similar at some point. I've read a handful and they seemed pretty solid, if not spectacular. Glad to hear they hold up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Spider-Man being unmasked. I honestly think it really, really should have stuck.

Same. I kinda get it though, because he's probably the superhero who has gotten the most mileage out of his secret identity, and they really milk it for the movies, cartoons, and in Ultimate. But I think it's very obvious we're never going to go back to what Spider-man was in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and trying to turn back the clock hasn't worked at all, so I think they should've just stuck to the unmasking. Or at the very least not done it in the first place when they knew it was only going to last 6 months.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like modern Spider-Man always goes into this place of Peter needs to grow up and understand his true potential. JMS actually wrote a really good monologue from Aunt May talking about how guilt shouldn't define your life and letting go of it is part of aging. I think that Peter going public is this really good moment of Peter embracing that he doesn't have to always have Parker Luck and try to really define his own life. And once again, it's a path they have gone down before, but the unmasking is a trick that you could only do once.

I wonder how different things would have gone with the unmasking and One More Day if Miles was already around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Peter growing the gently caress up and becoming a HS teacher was probably the best thing they could have ever done with him. As much as I liked the unmasking it totally cocked up that plot and they had to bail on it pretty quick.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Peter growing the gently caress up and becoming a HS teacher was probably the best thing they could have ever done with him. As much as I liked the unmasking it totally cocked up that plot and they had to bail on it pretty quick.
Was it something they really bailed on? I felt like One More Day was always the plans and would have always hosed over a lot with what was going well in terms of Spider-Man.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Would I regret it if I bought most of the Plastic Man archives? I've heard Jack Cole's work on them is something to see--is it worth it? Like, I own the first three Spirit Archives, but probably won't ever own all 26 of them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

I really disliked him as a teacher because it felt simultaneously like a) JMS giving himself a platform to moralize about how smart and nice Peter Parker is without understanding teaching as a profession beyond "nice people do it" and "smartish people do it" b) mega irresponsible of Peter Parker, since teaching chews up a ton of time and not much of it as flexibly as freelance photographer or wunderkind entrepeneur or even TA or whatever other jobs he's had.

In a hypothetical What If? where he retires I think college professor would be a really ideal job for him but as it was written it felt facile. I realize that just a bit further up on this page I said I missed the X-Men being teachers but I guess I feel like teaching mutants how to mutant has always been part of that team's prerogative and like-- ideally, the X-Men, or at least that team of X-Men don't go out of their way to fight random crimes. What's PP going to do if the Rhino's on a rampage while he's teaching Environmental Science? Just dip out? Uh-oh, Doc Ock's got him trapped in an underwater labyrinth on a Friday night and he doesn't have a lesson plan for covering balancing molecular equations on Monday-- guess he'll just do a lovely job and let a bunch of children down.

I hate that I'm about to say this but I actually preferred him at Horizon and Parker Industries. At least there he was shown as surrounded by other eccentrics who, more importantly, were also shown as having agency in losing patience with what surely must have seemed like irresponsible nonsense from their positions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Was it something they really bailed on? I felt like One More Day was always the plans and would have always hosed over a lot with what was going well in terms of Spider-Man.

When JMS made him a teacher they hadn't even decided he was going to unmask during CW yet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wasn't the teacher thing Peter David's idea?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Let's split the difference

Spider-Man and the X-Men

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't the teacher thing Peter David's idea?

Was it? Does PAD take credit for it?

Wasn't Peter a TA back in the 80's?

site posted:

Let's split the difference

Spider-Man and the X-Men

RIP gone too soon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Was it? Does PAD take credit for it?

I just remember it being introduced in Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man. I could be mistaken. I know it was definitely the book that did the most with the concept of Peter being a teacher, for better or for worse (definitely wasn't PAD's best work).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

I just remember it being introduced in Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man. I could be mistaken. I know it was definitely the book that did the most with the concept of Peter being a teacher, for better or for worse (definitely wasn't PAD's best work).

It was super early in JMS run.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't Peter a TA back in the 80's?

Yeah but the books were pretty inconsistent in establishing what exactly he did and for whom. He had the Foolkiller as a student though, and made a good enough impression that he was deemed categorically Not A Fool, which is IIRC about as far as establishing him as a teacher went. I might be forgetting stuff though, most of my recollections of that stretch center around resenting Deb Whitman's raw deal.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Or at the very least not done it in the first place when they knew it was only going to last 6 months.

This is me about every single new development in comic books ever.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When JMS made him a teacher they hadn't even decided he was going to unmask during CW yet.
I know. I mean that the One More Day stuff seemed to have to do more with undoing his teaching career than the unmasking did.

With that said though, was he a teacher AND Tony's assistant at the same time? I feel like that might be true? I know there was a post-unmasking Doctor Octopus story that involved him making his way to Peter's school.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would I regret it if I bought most of the Plastic Man archives? I've heard Jack Cole's work on them is something to see--is it worth it? Like, I own the first three Spirit Archives, but probably won't ever own all 26 of them.

I don't know if you'll regret it or not but Cole's art is fantastic. As golden age books Plastic Man have some issues with how they treat race and gender, lack of character development or story complexity, etc... but it's about as good as th golden age got from a strict story telling perspective. And the art is so good it doesn't matter. If you liked what Kirby was doing with Mr Fantastic, you'll like Plastic Man, because Cole was doing that 15 years earlier.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry if this has been discussed already but I was looking at the current state of the X-Men and I have a question. The young X-Men are here to stay , right? They never have to go back and connect to the lived timelines of the real X-Men, so they're now different people, right? So therefore young Cyclops is not the father of Cable, X-Man, Rachel, Ruby, etc.

Does that mean young Cyclops is going to get an entirely new set of time-displaced children?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I was looking at the current state of the X-Men and I have a question. The young X-Men are here to stay , right? They never have to go back and connect to the lived timelines of the real X-Men, so they're now different people, right? So therefore young Cyclops is not the father of Cable, X-Man, Rachel, Ruby, etc.

Does that mean young Cyclops is going to get an entirely new set of time-displaced children?

I don't know about your last question, but, yes, they are not tied to their past selves. They were locked away from going back in time through science. Beast was able to do so by magic, but found out that there were other versions of themselves running around living the life that would become the main time. No one knows why or how this happened -- Secret Wars? --, but the point is that the young X-Men are both here to stay and won't turn into the X-Men of the main timeline.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's annoying because I liked Cyclops as he was and the X-Men were never as green as the young ones have been written for years at this point.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TenCentFang posted:

It's annoying because I liked Cyclops as he was and the X-Men were never as green as the young ones have been written for years at this point.

I haven't been thrilled with much of anything involving the All-New X-Men, but it'll all be worth it if they take this opportunity to make the Summers Family Tree twice as complicated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

It's annoying because I liked Cyclops as he was

:thunk: :confused:

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cyclops was cool...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

Cyclops was cool...

Sure, before he started dressing like a graphics card box and yelling at everyone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TenCentFang posted:

Cyclops was cool...

For a clown to read about, at the circus, idiot

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jean's going to bring Cyclops back.

Then she's going to fight Emma for him in the event Death of Ex.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know. I mean that the One More Day stuff seemed to have to do more with undoing his teaching career than the unmasking did.

With that said though, was he a teacher AND Tony's assistant at the same time? I feel like that might be true? I know there was a post-unmasking Doctor Octopus story that involved him making his way to Peter's school.

He was also still occasionally a freelance photographer for The Daily Bugle. He was basically a Rihanna song.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Cyclops' red and black costume was great and it was a promising and organic direction for his character to go in. I don't know if the stories lived up to that promise-- frankly that period sort of blends together and I definitely felt like it was one of those gigs where Bendis was enamored with the hook but unsure of how to tell a story with it. I had high hopes because I think Scarlet was a good example of him trying to tell a story about characters with a vested narrative interest in systemic change, but I suppose I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up?

I wish Kieron Gillen had stuck around. I loved his take on Cyclops and that last page in the aftermath of AvX, where Cyclops raises his shackles up, is an iconic mutant moment for me and he usually handles characters with vocal political agendas well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bendis had all this stuff about what Cyclops would do and who he would become and then because he's Bendis he took too long doing other stuff and never actually got there.

Nothing Cyclops did at all made him a Hitler Monster, and he never even had a revolution. SHIELD wanted to assassinate him for... showing up to help mutants occasionally?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/sapphixy/status/912834128030126080

There. I found it. The dumbest thing.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/912839403524861953

Also, I wish they kept this guy around and modernized him. He'd be a pretty good supervillian considering current American politics.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2017

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
They can just reprint the Secret Empire story where the leader turns out to be the president. Maybe draw some cell phones in the background.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hate monger was in a punisher book... I wanna say right before the world war hulk era?? and i think it was some guy who took on the mantle and was ruining a new kkk ish villain outfit, they could probably do that again if they wanted to

But just lol at thinking they'd want to

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

Also, I wish they kept this guy around and modernized him. He'd be a pretty good supervillian considering current American politics.

They did. Over and over. One of my favorite revamps gave him a bodyguard that, well:

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Racists willingly following a guy who straight up calls himself "the Hate Monger" is ironically more fitting now than ever, considering the Alt-Right types love calling themselves "Dark Enlightenment" poo poo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Zoro posted:

There have been like five Hate-Mongers, the most recent one debuted in 2011. The most recent one was basically a proto-alt-right anti-immigration activist who hated immigrants so hard the ghost of Adolf Hitler's clone sensed it from outer space and possessed him, giving him superpowers. He fought T'Challa by turning some white dude into AMERICAN PANTHER and also mind-controlling a bunch of cops and politicians and whatever and then T'Challa built a Ghost of the Clone of Adolf Hitler machine and banished it back to outer space.

Later in a different story that alt-right dude (who still wanted to be Hate-Monger even without Adolf Hitler's Clone's Ghost powering him) traveled back in time to assassinate Barack Obama as a baby, but was thwarted by both Nick Furies who were also traveling through time.

The Hate-Monger before that was just literally a big Nazi dude the Punisher murdered.

The Hate-Monger before *that* was a mysterious magic dude who would try to orchestrate fights between white supremacists and civil rights protests so he could feed on the emotional hate of *both sides*. It was during this story that Rage was deemed too raw and emotional to be part of the team because of how he reacted to those white supremacists. I mean, it was mostly because everyone else on the team found out he was only 13, but still.

The Hate-Monger before *that* was a shapeshifting android made by the Psycho-Man who was like a... televangelist I guess? named H.M. Unger. He would preach hate and then sneak off and change into whatever group he was shittalking and shittalk back to make everyone even MADDER, which somehow led to that John Byrne panel of Reed slapping Sue that was all the rage on Superdickery or whatever. Scourge killed Unger.

The Hate Monger before *that* was The Man-Beast (aka the Super-Beast, aka the Wolf-Being, aka Karnivore, aka Omega, aka Lord Anon, aka The Prophet, aka Kyle Munson) a half man half wolf that the High Evolutionary made who seemed to get a new name/gimmick tweak every few years so I guess he was the Hate-Monger for a bit?

The original Hate-Monger has popped up in between almost all of these other Hate-Mongers, because he is the ghost of a clone of Adolf Hitler, so he'll never really disappear.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I forget, was Adolf Hitler trapped in the cosmic cube ever resolved? Did that come up during Secret Empire?

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

The original Hate-Monger has popped up in between almost all of these other Hate-Mongers, because he is the ghost of a clone of Adolf Hitler, so he'll never really disappear.

Where will he go next, this phantom from another time, this resurrected ghost of a previous nightmare – Chicago? Los Angeles? Miami, Florida? Vincennes, Indiana? Syracuse, New York? Anyplace, everyplace, where there's hate, where there's prejudice, where there's bigotry. He's alive. He's alive so long as these evils exist. Remember that when he comes to your town. Remember it when you hear his voice speaking out through others. Remember it when you hear a name called, a minority attacked, any blind, unreasoning assault on a people or any human being. He's alive because through these things we keep him alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zoro posted:

https://twitter.com/sapphixy/status/912834128030126080

There. I found it. The dumbest thing.

Edit:

Is that the GI Joe font?

• Locked thread