Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mu Zeta posted:

what's with some of the doctors on ER being poor. Maria Bello's character was living in a dump and eating cold pop tarts because her toaster was broken. Do any doctors actually live like that?

I didn't watch ER, but if she was a resident/intern, then absolutely. Currently, most residents make around $50k a year. Obviously, different specialties and different areas will offer a little more or less. Combine that with having to make massive student loan repayments and a time inability to work a second job, then yeah, there are tons of super poor doctors when they are just starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lycus posted:

I have a cousin that still rants about 90s Trek being too "politically correct" for being helmed by a woman and a black man. Can't imagine he's happy.

About this, or just about life in general?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The lead in Discovery is awful and really unsympathetic but I liked pretty much everything else and it looks fantastic. I'm glad to see Doug Jones in a regular role too; I thought his character would just be corny, but I ended up liking him.

I still wonder what the format of the season is going to end up being. I know they've said they're doing a mirror universe episode, so I'm assuming there'll be some self-contained episodes along the way.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She isn't suppose to be sympathetic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

She isn't suppose to be sympathetic.

I didn't say she was supposed to. She just sucks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXWgIOPgmw
This sure has a hell of a cast for a TV miniseries. (Paramount Channel is what they're renaming Spike)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm a physician who tends to avoid medical shows like the plague; there's no escapism for me. My wife was curious about the good doctor so we watched it. It's being done my some of the same people who did house. As for the other shows, I watched the live ER episode one as a kid, I scream at grey's whenever my wife watches, and I agree with other doctors who have said scrubs is the most true to life.

I'm the exact same way with lawyer shows for the exact same reason.

The Practice was the most true to life for me (other than the bananas later seasons).

And The Night Of I guess other than the egregious malpractice.

Oh yeah and Better Call Saul for a certain type of lawyer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXWgIOPgmw
This sure has a hell of a cast for a TV miniseries. (Paramount Channel is what they're renaming Spike)

Was there ever a Paramount channel in the US before? It used to exist in the UK and was the best way of watching Seinfeld.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Was there ever a Paramount channel in the US before? It used to exist in the UK and was the best way of watching Seinfeld.

Not quite. Paramount has been trying to make their own network for about 40 years now - in the late 70's they were preparing to launch it as a broadcast network and were going to have Star Trek: Phase 2 as their flagship program. That fizzled, then in the early 90's they partnered with a broadcasting company to launch UPN, which was a joke of a network from the start and never really gained commercial or critical traction in the 10 years it ran before folding (But did host both Voyager and Enterprise, as well as WWE Smackdown.) Rebranding this cable channel will be the first real "Paramount Network" (Aside from an ad-hoc group of broadcasters that operated under that name in the 50's.)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So everyone not a Trekkie liked Discovery and objectively thought it was good. Anyone who is a Trekkie hated it, not because any of it was objectively bad but because it was bad Star Trek and hating bad Star Trek is bad. And hating star Trek is bad unless you first proclaim that you hate all Star trek because hating some of it and not all of it is bad. But what if I am ambivalent? I won't know my place in Awful society. This is all way too complicated. I think like most shows, I will either watch it or not watch it and either way not mention it here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If I had any real interest or ready access I'd probably check it out since the commercials looked pretty good and the reviews seem to have been largely negative before it came out and positive after.

I don't have CBS All Access and I don't really have any serious interest in Star Trek so I'll probably pass.

I was mainly just curious as to if there was an actual clearly described reason so many were so negative about it seemingly on principle. But it sounds like its mainly just set preconceptions of what Star Trek should be and cynicism that modern versions can't live up to "classic" ones?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just tired of retreading the same loving time period. Let's move the gently caress on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, Lethal Weapon, The Mick and B99 are all back tonight and it doesn't look like they have threads.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the Nathan For You special. My god, this guy is a genius. The catch up with Ghost Realtor was amazing.

"It was a mother-daughter combo"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Star Trek used to express liberal, progressive values, and now it seems to express conservative, anti-intellectual values. That was my beef with Enterprise.

The real reason I don't give a poo poo about Discovery us that I'm not going to get all access.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 27, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Looten Plunder posted:

Just watched the Nathan For You special. My god, this guy is a genius. The catch up with Ghost Realtor was amazing.

"So you can still talk to him, since you talk to ghosts?"

".......sure, yeah"

"Can you talk to him now?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

that line and the way he delivered it made me spit coffee all over the drat place

so glad Nathan's back

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

"So you can still talk to him, since you talk to ghosts?"

".......sure, yeah"

"Can you talk to him now?"

The mediums "quick" thinking when trying to BS his way out of the OJ thing was priceless.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite part of Nathan For You is that Summit Ice has become a legit popular jacket (albeit ironically for the most part).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bull3964 posted:

I'm just tired of retreading the same loving time period. Let's move the gently caress on.

Which one? The time during enterprise, The Kirk time period, or the TNG, ds9,voyager one?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bobkatt013 posted:

Which one? The time during enterprise, The Kirk time period, or the TNG, ds9,voyager one?

Past all those. Something new past all the shows that have already aired.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Mick is still good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd watch Discovery if it was on TV instead of All Access.

I tried to watch Dark Matter again. Too boring. I feel like it's a mish mash of stuff done better elsewhere. A ship full of criminals that don't know or like each other at first was a hundred times more fun on Farscape. The Android is Poor Man's Data. And I can't get over the silliness of the katana-wielder from Planet Medieval Japan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Lycus posted:

I tried to watch Dark Matter again. Too boring. I feel like it's a mish mash of stuff done better elsewhere. A ship full of criminals that don't know or like each other at first was a hundred times more fun on Farscape. The Android is Poor Man's Data. And I can't get over the silliness of the katana-wielder from Planet Medieval Japan.

Don't bother. It ended on a cliffhanger then got canceled.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Mick is still good.

:agreed:

Ben is definitely going to grow up and become a serial killer.

e: B99 is killing it too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 27, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

bobkatt013 posted:

All.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I changed my mind on Van Helsing, after the first couple eps it's perfectly serviceable Canadian scifi TV

You're darntootin!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

bull3964 posted:

This is the big problem; it's no longer expansion and exploration. Enterprise onward is feels like lovely fan fiction.

Also, American Vandal is pretty great.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is This Is Us worth watching/picking up first season of? Saw it was nominated for a bunch of Emmys and poo poo but didn't notice a thread for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zerilan posted:

Is This Is Us worth watching/picking up first season of? Saw it was nominated for a bunch of Emmys and poo poo but didn't notice a thread for it.

Yes. It's good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Medullah posted:

My favorite part of Nathan For You is that Summit Ice has become a legit popular jacket (albeit ironically for the most part).

"Six million Jews died." - Cameron, model

The Summit Ice brand is Nathan's persona distilled.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slamhound posted:

Also, American Vandal is pretty great.

It's fantastic. If you have any interest in documentaries or crime shows or satire you need to watch it. The sign of a great satire is that it functions as an example of what it is satirizing without being a parody and this show fits that bill perfectly. The humor is entirely that is is a comprehensive serious documentary about a mundane high school subject and it's executed to perfection. Watch this show!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

It is a show aimed squarely at the Maxxinista inspirational quote wall sticker demographic. Go hog wild if you're into ten different characters having their own Lifetime original movie storylines simultaneously per episode.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get The Mick season 1 on iTunes for free right now. Just add it to your library.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10600848-the-mick-season-1-hd-digital-download-free

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

I changed my mind on Van Helsing, after the first couple eps it's perfectly serviceable Canadian scifi TV

It gets pretty entertaining once they start to leave the hospital. Bleak as gently caress though.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Maybe the c-suite drama will be ok, but a lot of the medical scenes are not good. It feels like a fired surgical resident got yelled at too much and he's hiding behind autism to get his revenge in his screenplays. The quote about surgeons having autistic traits, however, was dead on.

What I've always heard is that there is a massive over-representation of sociopaths in surgery, what with a complete lack of empathy being somewhat of a plus there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

Just watch The Expanse

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey! Trish Murtaugh is back on TV. This week is looking up.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Ok. Looks like the new Star Trek thing is going to be on Australian Netflix.

Just as a final gently caress you to Americans I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Well gently caress. I just saw a commercial for the Season 2 premiere of ABC's Designated Survivor, aka "President Jack Bauer", which returns tonight.

I've seen literally no ads or fanfare for it at all on the internet, TV, or in print, which is unusual, because it did good numbers in season 1.

• Locked thread