Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Oh my god Ro Laren is falling for Riker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data took over bartending because he just happened to be behind the bar when the memories were wiped. This episode rules.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The possibly fake Kieran MacDuff looks kind of like Seth MacFarlane, and is also a Scotsman who snuck into TNG

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

E: whoops my bad lads

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder why the aliens put fake info on the compute about the Federation being at war

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It would be so confusing if this just happened to be the first episode anyone saw.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder if Troi has this extra memory of Riker because she hasn't gotten over him, or because her memories of him were messed with two episodes ago (just kidding I know it wouldn't have that much continuity)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Haha oh poo poo Ro Laren waiting in his room in her underwear

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker: "What if I snore in my sleep?"
Ro: "What makes you think you're gonna get any sleep?"

:stare:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I seriously cannot wait for Ro and Riker to remember that when their memories come back

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data: "I may represent an entire race of artificial life forms."

:smith:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker: "William T. Riker takes his vacations on a planet called... Ri-sa."

And he even says it while holding the gently caress idol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yes, Ro walked in on Riker and Troi just as they started figuring out they had a relationship (and haven't realized it's over), this is exactly what I was hoping would happen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Having Riker and Ro Laren's memories erased actually seems to be helping them work through their problems

Also I'm glad they had the explicit memories wiped but the implicit ones left intact.

Can you imagine how much good it would do Ro Laren to have her autobiographical memories wiped? She grew up in a refugee camp and after clawing her way out of that and into the Academy and onto a Starfleet ship she made a decision that got her whole away team killed and got herself thrown in jail.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It would be so confusing if this just happened to be the first episode anyone saw.

I remember watching it as a kid back when it was syndicated on WPWR Channel 50 in Chicago and you'd have a premier and like 4 new episodes then reruns then suddenly a few more new episodes then more reruns and then....basically there was no way to really follow everything unless you marked a calendar or just watched every week regardless.

But yeah- Conundrum was an episode where I tuned in and was like "wait is this a new season?"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jesus the Enterprise is just stomping on the Lissians (if they exist)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Said this before but I love when they talk about stuff like laser cannons and magnetic warheads that are futuristic but totally obsolete in the 24th century.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh MacFarlane was actually trying to kill the Lissians? I thought for sure he was just a standard godlike being/race testing them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi and Ro just owned Riker, that's nice inversion of how it would go in most shows where they'd be fighting each other.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think that might be one of my top 5 episodes so far.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Orv
May 4, 2011
Conundrum is one of my favorite pointless fun episodes of Trek. It doesn't really move the characters anywhere, it doesn't really have a moral (except maybe don't be a warmongering psychopath but that's not exactly high philosophy), it's just fun character bits and some (mostly) good actors getting to have some fun. It's like a good MU episode, basically.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 27, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I like that model, it's nice and weird

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like that model, it's nice and weird

It's used twice. It's also God.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's even worse when you think you've already seen every episode of TNG. And then you tune in part-way through this episode. I was :wtc:ing through the rest of it.

Watching reruns of TNG after it ended and I somehow consistently missed this episode and The First Duty for nearly a decade. An absolute jaw-dropping experience to see new (to me) episodes of TNG in the mid-2000s.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Orv posted:

Conundrum is one of my favorite pointless fun episodes of Trek. It doesn't really move the characters anywhere, it doesn't really have a moral (except maybe don't be a warmongering psychopath but that's not exactly high philosophy), it's just fun character bits and some (mostly) good actors getting to have some fun. It's like a good MU episode, basically.

It may not have an explicit moral, but it's a pretty good commentary on human character, or at least the character of these characters. Even after having their minds wiped and being fed false information about an urgent war that needs to be won at all costs, they use both reason and instinct to realize that the situation is wrong and slaughtering the helpless isn't the right choice, no matter how dire the situation seems on the surface.

Hm.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Doggles posted:

Watching reruns of TNG after it ended and I somehow consistently missed this episode and The First Duty for nearly a decade. An absolute jaw-dropping experience to see new (to me) episodes of TNG in the mid-2000s.

I'd never seen Starship Mine until about 4 years ago, what an absolute treat of an episode to discover :3:

Orv
May 4, 2011

McSpanky posted:

It may not have an explicit moral, but it's a pretty good commentary on human character, or at least the character of these characters. Even after having their minds wiped and being fed false information about an urgent war that needs to be won at all costs, they use both reason and instinct to realize that the situation is wrong and slaughtering the helpless isn't the right choice, no matter how dire the situation seems on the surface.

Hm.

Looking for deeper meaning is how we got Discovery. :argh:

No yeah, that's a pretty good takeaway despite the casualness of the episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I watched TNG a ton as a kid and teenager but somehow I never saw "Pen Pals" until I watched through the complete series on Netflix in 2012 or so.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There's a few "handsome diplomat boards the Enterprise and stuff happens" episodes of TNG that seem new to me every time I watch them, but that's because my eyes and brain glaze over ten minutes in.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

McSpanky posted:

Even after having their minds wiped and being fed false information about an urgent war that needs to be won at all costs, they use both reason and instinct to realize that the situation is wrong and slaughtering the helpless isn't the right choice, no matter how dire the situation seems on the surface.

That, and the fact that even with their memories wiped, they seem to subconsciously fall back to their training: Picard is sitting at navigation, but he still wonders aloud about the wisdom of doing something, like a good captain (I can't remember details; it's been a while since I've seen the episode). Beverly doesn't remember that she's CMO, but she's still able to operate medical equipment to help someone sitting in sickbay. Even if the ending is somewhat predictable, I've always thought that was a cool aspect of this episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

I watched TNG a ton as a kid and teenager but somehow I never saw "Pen Pals" until I watched through the complete series on Netflix in 2012 or so.

Sarjenka gave me the drat creeps when it first aired and she still kind of does.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Hm.

Yeah it's funny how 90s Trek has all the answers to the questions that post 9/11 Trek thinks is hard.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That, and the fact that even with their memories wiped, they seem to subconsciously fall back to their training: Picard is sitting at navigation, but he still wonders aloud about the wisdom of doing something, like a good captain (I can't remember details; it's been a while since I've seen the episode). Beverly doesn't remember that she's CMO, but she's still able to operate medical equipment to help someone sitting in sickbay. Even if the ending is somewhat predictable, I've always thought that was a cool aspect of this episode.

Conundrums has a great bit of writing where if you pay attention, Picard is making all the decisions even though he's made no overt attempt to assert authority. It's a fantastic piece of characterization.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's funny how 90s Trek has all the answers to the questions that post 9/11 Trek thinks is hard.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Hm.

Also we learn that Ro Laren loves to gently caress

that information was vital to my young mind

Arglebargle III posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck that should be the quote on a ship's commissioning plaque

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
How many years after 9/11 do we have to wait before a story that has some war conflict can't be dismissed as "post-9/11". Is Game of Thrones "post-9/11'?

Like, would the Dominion War be "GRIM DARK post-9/11" had it aired a few years later?

Yes, I know what people will say. There were many non-dark episodes of DS9 where the Federation ideals were tested but prevailed. I know that. People are throwing the weirdest shade at a show with two episodes. Like... why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

How many years after 9/11 do we have to wait before a story that has some war conflict can't be dismissed as "post-9/11". Is Game of Thrones "post-9/11'?

Like, would the Dominion War be "GRIM DARK post-9/11" had it aired a few years later?

Yes, I know what people will say. There were many non-dark episodes of DS9 where the Federation ideals were tested but prevailed. I know that. People are throwing the weirdest shade at a show with two episodes. Like... why?

Because it sucks, next question.

I don't really see how its unreasonable to look at the portrayal of the Klingons in STD and see how they're basically all of middle class America's anxieties about the Middle East combined.