Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BigDave posted:

Doubleposting, but Roy Moore, known Commandment-fetishist and everything-hater, is projected to win the Alabama Senate race.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/...e=Homepage&_r=0

Republican primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
How the gently caress is Trump still President am I loving taking crazy pills

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

No, but everyone else did.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Mr. Mambold posted:

Idk why that reminds me of this but welp

Now I want to see Nicholson portray Sherman in a vivid retelling of the march to the sea.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
woo i always wondered who would be this generation's george wallace

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Now I want to see Nicholson portray Sherman in a vivid retelling of the march to the sea.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

milk milk lemonade posted:

How the gently caress is Trump still President am I loving taking crazy pills

The Republican Congress won't help him and the media only wants to report on the bad stuff and none of his successes. In fact, the Democrats are conspiring with the media to make The President look bad with Puerto Rico when it was a shithole to start with.

The above could be taken from most of your Facebook feeds, I'm sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Many lower class people think it's unfortunate that Trump has been stymied in his effort to take away their healthcare by the evil swamp creatures and Democ RATS.

hosed up, yet true

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

As long as he acts as coked up as his character in The Departed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tastefully arranged labia posted:

As long as he acts as coked up as his character in The Departed.

:confused: Acts?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
President Not Mad makes his triumphant return!

https://twitter.com/passantino/status/912871658498560001

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Big Stranger Danger

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Hmmm yes a better solution below

Saint Sherman when he is introduced to nuclear weapons.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao deleting federal records breaks some laws I'm sure.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

Lmao deleting federal records breaks some laws I'm sure.

Here's a full explanation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/02/08/is-it-legal-for-donald-trump-to-delete-tweets-as-president/#61d592423705

The Obama White House was so potentially spooked about violating the Presidential Records Act that they made sure to never delete anything with even a slight whiff of being a record, such as tweets. The Trump White House has thrown up bullshit about everything tweeted being archived because they know the Republican Congress won't do poo poo about it. It's slowly being worked through the court system right now.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Why the gently caress

Tweets

President

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

code:

Why the gently caress 

Tweets

President

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I didn't think the AL race could get any better :allears:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

what the flying gently caress

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Why is the Alabama race so significant? It seems like the winner is super loving evangelical and conservative, and since it's Alabama, I'm assuming he beats the democrat in December?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Why the gently caress

Tweets

President

turns out we hosed up when we said "2017 can't possibly be worse than 2016"

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI

This, but 'Donald Trump doesn't care about Hispanic people'

I will never get tired of Chris Tucker's face, or Kanye's whole deal

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ElMaligno posted:

these fucks appear to instead be floating

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Why is the Alabama race so significant? It seems like the winner is super loving evangelical and conservative, and since it's Alabama, I'm assuming he beats the democrat in December?

deffo "Alabama gonna Alabama" but basically this is seen as an issue leading into the 2018 elections; if radicals like these keep getting the primary nod then either 1) go ahead and replace the star field on the flag with a swastika OR 2) the GOP starts infighting again and opens up the chance for Democrats to make gains (lol)

this is 2017 though so imagine the SS but in denim and w/o Hugo Boss

worst timeline strikes again

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Trump campaigned for Luther Strange at the wishes of the GOP establishment. Roy Moore had the backing of the rest of the Trump apparatus.

Roy Moore won despite Trump's support. There's a few conclusions that you can draw from this.

A: Trump's support means nothing to the GOP, in which case, they're free to go over his head.

B: The virulent poo poo that's infesting the Republican party has officially taken on a life of its own in GOP-controlled areas and will further schism the party between the GOP and Trump-esque figures.

C: Alabama is racist as gently caress and wants to hear actual racism, rather than dogwhistles.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

It's cool, they're not white

(seriously this is the thought process of a bunch of americans :wtc:)

Ugh loving christ why in the gently caress do people have to be so loving stupid, I had a 30 minute long argument with a coworker who is a hardcore trumper. He thinks that what the trump admin is doing wrt Puerto Rico is ok and good, like seriously his argument is "They're not a state so they're not americans like the rest of us" What a loving oval office.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The Alabama Republican primary electorate is, how do you say, deplorable.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Let's face reality here, Trump doesn't matter except as a proof of concept test run of the Trumpismo platform. Regardless of what shakes out of the Mueller investigation, eventually, and sooner than later, somebody who isn't a swiss cheesed brain orange clown is going to run his playbook and be truly dangerous.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

There's no reason to waive the Jones Act. There wasn't a need for it in Harvey and Irma. We have the ships already. Marad can always actually use those RRF ships sitting waiting for such things or send some MSC ships like the Comfort if different capabilities are needed.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

lightpole posted:

There's no reason to waive the Jones Act. There wasn't a need for it in Harvey and Irma. We have the ships already. Marad can always actually use those RRF ships sitting waiting for such things or send some MSC ships like the Comfort if different capabilities are needed.

If open that tweet and scroll down there's this article which argues that the Jones Act is loving up Puerto Rico real bad even without the hurricane: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/hurricane-puerto-rico-jones-act.html?mcubz=0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I don't know whether to laugh cry or punch my screen. god drat.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

my kinda ape posted:

If open that tweet and scroll down there's this article which argues that the Jones Act is loving up Puerto Rico real bad even without the hurricane: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/hurricane-puerto-rico-jones-act.html?mcubz=0

That's an op-ed, not an article.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Only if he plays it as a pastiche of his joker from Batman.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

lightpole posted:

That's an op-ed, not an article.

Oh sorry :rolleyes:

Here's an article on the subject https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...N0PJ2TF20150709

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Much better. The Reuters article doesn't have the slant and misleading information the op-ed does. Around 2/3 of the cargo imported to PR arrives on foreign flags from foreign markets, very little is oil and gas.

They don't actually give a poo poo about Puerto Rico in this. What they really want is the ability to ship in the domestic US market port to port. Oil and gas majors are especially interested in not needing Jones Act LNG ships for export. The US has plenty of fossil fuels with the shale boom and they are salivating to export it.

I am a little uncomfortable with the reliance on a 2013 GAO report but those looking to completely repeal it are most likely overstating their case. Puerto Rico is only attractive to industry if it has mainland access for goods produced at emerging market costs. When the bill giving pharmaceutical companies large tax breaks for opening factories there expired they disappeared.

Edit: Comfort finally heading to PR.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 27, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Or a time travelling Sherman with access to thermobarics.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

civil war, but with napalm

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

shame on an IGA posted:

Let's face reality here, Trump doesn't matter except as a proof of concept test run of the Trumpismo platform. Regardless of what shakes out of the Mueller investigation, eventually, and sooner than later, somebody who isn't a swiss cheesed brain orange clown is going to run his playbook and be truly dangerous.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lightpole posted:

Much better. The Reuters article doesn't have the slant and misleading information the op-ed does. Around 2/3 of the cargo imported to PR arrives on foreign flags from foreign markets, very little is oil and gas.

I feel like you are missing the point.

edit:

Unrelated, but people may recall a bunch of people flipping about about how Syrian refugees gang-raped a 5 year old girl in Iowa at knifepoint. I know it got parroted by a fair number of goons. But it was a made up story, propogated by Breitbart and other lovely anti-Muslim sources and then picked up by bigger news agencies. A 7-year old was charged with inappropriate contact of some sort, not meeting the definition of rape, with a 5-year old, though.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/state/idaho/article84829787.html

and another edit:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

This morning's twitter rant: calling for a vote on a bill that's been withdrawn, and for the elimination of the filibuster. So, still at 11 here in insanity world I see.

• Locked thread