Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The military was plan B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah, Plan Barracks.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

vains posted:

top business schools as in ivy or top state schools?

Columbia, Harvard, UPenn, UChicago, Northwestern are all pretty well known for letting vets in with "relaxed" requirements. Second hand sources on most of those, and you can effectively toss in the rest of the top 20 or so. I'd be skeptical of the technically oriented ones that might require actual coursework, like MIT or Stanford.

Which is to say, the normal requirements are there to keep MBAs well stocked with overachieving bullshit artists...military service comes close enough (and counts for diversity) to call it even.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 26, 2017

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
Count NYU, Duke, and Georgetown on that list as well. My retarded OPORD writing rear end has no business at a good school but welp here I am. The best part? It doesn’t stop with School. Businesses take vets because it bumps their diversity numbers, even if you’re white as a ghost. And not bullshit jobs, 150k consulting type poo poo.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

They also get some kickbacks from the government for hiring veterans.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Zeris posted:

Columbia, Harvard, UPenn, UChicago, Northwestern are all pretty well known for letting vets in with "relaxed" requirements. Second hand sources on most of those, and you can effectively toss in the rest of the top 20 or so. I'd be skeptical of the technically oriented ones that might require actual coursework, like MIT or Stanford.

Which is to say, the normal requirements are there to keep MBAs well stocked with overachieving bullshit artists...military service comes close enough (and counts for diversity) to call it even.

Curious, what did you get on your GMAT? I've been back and forth on whether or not to separate (decide in October) and try my chances at getting into an MBA program. Haven't taken the GMAT though, and I'm not great at those tests.

Had a 3.0 from my undergrad.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I took it once and got a 660 which I'm confident would have been fine to get into a top-10 program.

That said, my interest lies in medical devices and so I chose a university (Minnesota) which places into those companies, I walked into the place on the first go-round.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

AFStealth posted:

Curious, what did you get on your GMAT? I've been back and forth on whether or not to separate (decide in October) and try my chances at getting into an MBA program. Haven't taken the GMAT though, and I'm not great at those tests.

Had a 3.0 from my undergrad.

I took it cold and got 650, ditched my score, then later found out that's an acceptable score for vet applicants. It's definitely at the low end for a regular candidate.

There are people at https://poetsandquants.com who spend way too much time micro-analyzing the MBA world.

Keep in mind there are "MBA Admissions Consultants" who get paid thousands of dollars to "tutor" applicants and help them make it into a decent school.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're a vet going for an MBA you owe it to yourself to apply to Wharton. Penn gives hilarious levels of Vet preference, provides unlimited Yellow Ribbon, and a Wharton MBA is the fast track to "I'm hella rich, motherfuckers." Granted, Penn is full of some of the biggest turbocunts you'll ever meet, but the academic workload to "networking event" (bottle service at a night club) balance is so absurdly tilted towards meeting the people you need to know that you'll probably not care, and even if you do, you can cry yourself to sleep over your $250k/y McKinsey job offer when you leave.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was going to swing for the fences when I start applying at the end of the year. Ivy League? gently caress it. Schools in Colorado? Sure, I hear it rules living in Colorado. The state school down the street from me? Yeah, I need a convenient choice too.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I want to start applying to schools, but I had one disasterous year of college before I joined and I feel like that's a hideous mark on my application(s), since I won't be eligible for transfer statuses anywhere.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just own it - in a submission you're usually asked to write a short essay and can provide additional info if desired. Use that space to talk about how you weren't mature enough or disciplined enough and joined the military to straighten yourself out before trying again. You can talk about how you've progressed through your time in, the increasing responsibilities and your development as a leader and a team player.

Admissions will admit on the first pass.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

redneck nazgul posted:

I want to start applying to schools, but I had one disasterous year of college before I joined and I feel like that's a hideous mark on my application(s), since I won't be eligible for transfer statuses anywhere.

I had a sub 2.0 senior year. I have 10 years in industry and achievement to back it up and also wrote a really good statement. You can always take a couple classes at community college and get good grades for a semester to show that's in the past. Otherwise write it in your statement, acknowledge it, accept responsibility, why it's not an issue now/how you've moved forward and that's it. Keep it brief.

The statement was hard but it's a good chance at introspection and really clarified a lot for me. I started linking everyone I knew who could pretend at education to it on Google Drive for help, which is scary to me seeing how personal it is.

Also, 660 on the GMAT what the gently caress, isn't that retarded level? I thought most schools wanted 700+ which should be totally achievable if my dumb rear end is any indication. If you put in time and study and practice taking the test in a realistic format you should be fine, it's not that hard.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I failed out of college with well bellow a 2.0 on my first stint in 3 semesters and should be able to graduate somewhere around a 3.2-3.3, although I'm not interested in an MBA. I'd like to do a Masters in Urban Planning maybe if I decide to go the grad school route.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
My dudes you aren’t thinking low enough. Try 2.8 GPA (granted at a good undergrad) 620 GMAT and four years as a nose-picking LT currently at a top 12 program on a mega bucks scholarship. There are all kinds of back doors.

E: and only a few months in with 2 soft offers making solid money

TheAlphaChaser fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 26, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

lightpole posted:

Also, 660 on the GMAT what the gently caress, isn't that retarded level? I thought most schools wanted 700+ which should be totally achievable if my dumb rear end is any indication. If you put in time and study and practice taking the test in a realistic format you should be fine, it's not that hard.

No? It's not where I wanted to be, and on all pretesting I was above 700, but it's well within the middle 80% range of all schools which is all that really matters.

Generally 700 is table stakes for top-10 schools but ~*~veteran~*~

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 26, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Denver apparently has doctorates for communications. Any good that place?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It's not bad but I don't know the rankings behind it. I thought the important thing for a doctorate was funding? Denver itself is pretty cool and the mountains are right there. I almost went to Mines but it felt a little too close to my undergrad and I would have had to pay out of state tuition.

If pretesting was above 700 it usually means you need to actually practice under test conditions. I didn't do as well in the quantitative because of that but it was good enough. Just as long as you get in.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I haven't taken any of those test btw. My school had some dumb thing called the Florida Competency A***** Test or FCAT. poo poo was dumb, and I just never did any of the others.

The funding will theoretically be taken care of by my GI Bill because some dude in here said it covers that high cause he's on it right now.

My wife and I are trying to plan. We are gonna be here for a few years, but we're definitely moving somewhere else. Mountains. It has to snow. Bavaria killed us. We might just try to go back and work in some capacity in Germany or Italy with someone. I'm planning on staying here and getting my masters. Or if we are really froggy, move to Flagstaff.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Denver gets over 300 days of sun a year. It snows every now and then but doesn't stick around for much past a week usually. The mountains keep most of it so when you really want it you can just run up. Think the I 70 resorts are only 90 min or so from downtown but that depends on traffic. Tons of beer, cost of living has been jumping up so it could be expensive but it's not quite at California levels.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

No stay out, Colorado is full.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I just checked, there's some open space out towards Craig

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I once took a dump on the curb in an abandoned Kmart parking lot at 3AM in Craig. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm sure those leavings grew up to be a fine example of the locals

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Rat posted:

No stay out, Colorado is full.

Colorado is Australia?

Noice

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you're a vet going for an MBA you owe it to yourself to apply to Wharton. Penn gives hilarious levels of Vet preference, provides unlimited Yellow Ribbon, and a Wharton MBA is the fast track to "I'm hella rich, motherfuckers." Granted, Penn is full of some of the biggest turbocunts you'll ever meet, but the academic workload to "networking event" (bottle service at a night club) balance is so absurdly tilted towards meeting the people you need to know that you'll probably not care, and even if you do, you can cry yourself to sleep over your $250k/y McKinsey job offer when you leave.

that is dope because
1- i live in philly
2- i need an escape plan from my company. there's like 28 people at the same level as me and 3 people above us. those 3 people are all younger than 50. that math isnt working out in my favor.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Maybe you ought to "help them along" to an "early retirement."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Early retire my rear end in a top hat.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I was sitting in my math class today and watched in disgust as this dude harvested snacks out of his nose. After he ate his fill he dug around a bit more and wiped it on the desk. How in the gently caress can an adult not only do such a thing, but in front of a class of ~60?

I looked around to see if anyone else saw it or was filming my reactions for a video or something.

I had to see it so you all have to read about it. :barf:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Booger Presley posted:

I was sitting in my math class today and watched in disgust as this dude harvested snacks out of his nose. After he ate his fill he dug around a bit more and wiped it on the desk. How in the gently caress can an adult not only do such a thing, but in front of a class of ~60?

I looked around to see if anyone else saw it or was filming my reactions for a video or something.

I had to see it so you all have to read about it. :barf:

I've seen one guy in college pick his nose and eat it, but holy poo poo did he pick and eat. Like, full on, no one ever told him he should not do it or shamed him for it as a kid. A girl would make audible gagging noises whenever he did it and he still didn't get the hint that he should not loving stick his finger up his nose and eat what he pulls out. He was in school to be a teacher, too, I'm sure that turned out well.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nope couldn't handle it. I'd call em out. I'll actually throw up. Done it before.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I thought I should offer him some loving crackers or something, But I'm just staying away, far away. Also never shaking hands with anyone.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
A kid in my physics class BLEW HIS GODDAMN NOSE INTO HIS T-SHIRT. Like straight up put his nose underneath his shirt collar and *HONK*.

:barf:

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Has a kid two semesters ago that was slowly eating himself. Picked at his nose, ears , scalp, face every day and ate whatever he managed to get. He also audibly farted regularly and no one batted an eye the entire time.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Jesus Christ what the gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I've gone to school with some weirdos but you guys seem like you go to school with disgusting weirdos.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Computer science students are just as gross as you might imagine. You know you're in a CS course when you walk into a lecture and can smell how many students are in the room.

Not an exaggeration.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
You guys are gross by association.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Once a semester, somebody should put on a seminar about whatever the latest trendy tech topic is and, right in the middle of it, lock the doors and bust out the fire hoses and bubble bath soap.

Of course, the one big problem with this is that it would need to be held in an auditorium with good drainage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The grossest people I ever met have all been in the Navy so :confused: