Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of Sebring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofOmktaV3U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Jesus those cars look fast

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gee Scott Goodyear is just awful. All this guy did in '94 was run into other cars it seems.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Scott Goodyear is IndyCar's best scrub.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shame he can't shut up on the 500 broadcasts.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Human Grand Prix posted:

Gee Scott Goodyear is just awful. All this guy did in '94 was run into other cars it seems.

Where are you at in 94. He'll do one thing besides that... well lucked his way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know someone here was commenting about sponsor displays:

Apart from the front of the sidepod wrapping under, seems like they're very obvious.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Where are you at in 94. He'll do one thing besides that... well lucked his way.

Just finished Mid-Ohio. I saw the thing.

Also some of the driver choices are downright weird. Like Pacwest hiring perpertual 12th-16th place finisher Dominic Dobson.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 27, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

I know someone here was commenting about sponsor displays:

Apart from the front of the sidepod wrapping under, seems like they're very obvious.

Love me some unpainted hurriedly stickered test liveries.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Like Pacwest hiring perpertual 12th-16th place finisher Dominic Dobson.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a very long time. '94 was his only full season.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Human Grand Prix posted:

Just finished Mid-Ohio. I saw the thing.

Also some of the driver choices are downright weird. Like Pacwest hiring perpertual 12th-16th place finisher Dominic Dobson.

Or Mike Groff landing a full-time Rahal ride, somehow.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The Croc posted:

I wouldn't mind Fontana as the season ender anythings better than Sonoma which should have a place on the calendar but its not a great track for a finale.

I love Fontana but I'd rather see somewhere like Chicagoland as the finale. Nobody goes to Fontana and most of the fan base is in the Midwest.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We could always make the 500 the Finale :v:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

Can you please ban yourself

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually, is it confirmed Hinch is returning to SPM?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

According to Racer's article on Allen McDonald leaving SPM, he hasn't been confirmed yet. But even though McDonald is leaving, there's no mention of where he's going or Hinch going with him, so I doubt there's anything like that going on.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

iospace posted:

IndyCar super season ? :v:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Open to IndyCar switch

Palmer said a move to the American single-seater series IndyCar is among the possibilities he is considering.

"I'm open, it's an option, but outside of F1 there are a lot of places to go and race," he said.

"Indy is one of them, but I'm not saying it's a preferred option or not. It's obviously very different, and requires a lot of thinking."

He added: "At the moment there's no firm plans. Different options, and some that are what I'd rather do."

Despite saying that he would consider a move to the World Endurance Championship as well, Palmer appeared to downplay his interest in making the switch to prototypes.

"I've always said that I prefer wheel-to-wheel racing. I know LMP1 is wheel-to-wheel, but endurance racing is very different," he said.

"Again it's one of the options out there. You have to see what becomes available. But I'd prefer to be racing wheel-to-wheel for position."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/palmer-new-chapter-focus-williams-indycar-wec-958474/

Jolyon Palmer is pretty mediocre and not very consistent but him in the IndyCar field he'd probably be a top runner. He's definitely way better than, say, garbage truck driver Esteban Guiterrez.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wirth1000 posted:

he'd probably be a top runner.

How did that work out for Rubens? Mid pack in F1 does not automatically = front in Indycar, especially with guys like Dixon around.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Palmer is nowhere near as good as, say, Max Chilton.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Fine with Palmer in Indycar if it can get daddy to pony up for a race at Brands or Donington

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm more than ok with taking rich kids money tbh, I wanna see 26 full timers.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

How did that work out for Rubens? Mid pack in F1 does not automatically = front in Indycar, especially with guys like Dixon around.

Rubens was not a midpack driver. Also he was like 420 years old. Palmer is far worse than he was.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Palmer is nowhere near as good as, say, Max Chilton.

Palmer is definitely better than Chilton.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Rubens was not a midpack driver. Also he was like 420 years old. Palmer is far worse than he was.

Rubens is like Jacques Villeneuve in that he wants to be a superstar multi-discipline racer despite never really being that special.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rubens wasn't bad at all in Indycar.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
12th place was respectable.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Pocono.

quote:

From conversations I have had about the 2018 body, we should see speeds pushing, if not exceeding, 240 miles per hour next year.

Two Hundred and Forty Miles Per Hour!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Rubens wasn't bad at all in Indycar.

I hoped Rubens stuck around for the antics he and TK would get up to.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Palmer takes time to adjust to cars he will be lower end of the field but maybe over time build up to be nearer the front.

I would be shocked if he came in and was straight away near the front of the field its just not his mo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Pocono.

Two Hundred and Forty Miles Per Hour!

We are totally getting the Indy Qually record next year, aren't we.

Also, added Palmer to the free agent/interested list, and he'd definitely bring funding with him.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like how Rubens complained about Indycar tracks being rough and difficult then lmao went to Brazilian stock cars.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iospace posted:

We are totally getting the Indy Qually record next year, aren't we.

It's possible. This is an open development year for engines, so there's a chance for a decent horsepower jump along with the new aero.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Minto Took posted:

I hoped Rubens stuck around for the antics he and TK would get up to.
I feel if Rubens had stayed on for at least one more season he'd have greatly improved. Or hell maybe if he came back now with the new aero kits he'd be better.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh Rubens def would have gotten better with a few more seasons and also he was in a pretty trash car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I remember him putting in some good runs especially at the road courses in the second half of the year.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rubens gave Robin a very tentative "yes" in Baltimore that he'd be back the next season.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think he just couldn't find the sponsorship needed to continue. IIRC he was surprised at how difficult it was to find sponsorship for IndyCar.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gret posted:

I think he just couldn't find the sponsorship needed to continue. IIRC he was surprised at how difficult it was to find sponsorship for IndyCar.

that was also around the time KV Racing started fraying a bit at the edges, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

dentist toy box posted:

I like how Rubens complained about Indycar tracks being rough and difficult then lmao went to Brazilian stock cars.

I remember him saying his wife was giving him endless poo poo because of how dangerous single seater oval racing is but, yeah, ended up going to the literal deathsport that is Brazilian stock cars, lol.

• Locked thread