Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

So I just wached a quick video explaining why Toys R Us is going under and what a leveraged buyout is.

WHY THE gently caress WOULD ANYONE DO THAT!? WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD loving IDEA!? :psyduck:

Leveraged Buyouts are great ideas.

You go into a shitload of debt to buy a company.

You then transfer the obligation to pay off debt to that company.

You then sell everything not bolted down and run that company into the ground doing a bunch of dumb short term profit poo poo.

It all collapses but it doesn't matter because you made a fuckload of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
and the ceo doesnt give a gently caress because theyre already multi millionaires anyway

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Badger of Basra posted:

Thrift stores aren't a new thing though. Why is this happening now?

craigslist has apps that makes browsing for used poo poo as easy as browsing a magazine

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

God drat Capitalism sucks.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I think with things like Yelp and online reviews customers finally have a lot more power in retail negotiations, if a product isn't both perfect and cheap they're not going to buy it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well I'm pretty sure parents trading clothes and thrift shops aren't new, so that leaves: online shopping, people having fewer kids, and people having less money.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

There was an interesting bit on Marketplace talking about how debt pushed onto the company (not sure exactly how this works) by hedge fund who invested in them prevented significant spending into the online arena.

How this works is the hedge fund buys a company, borrows extensively in the company's name, pays themselves a ton of money and then the company struggles or goes bankrupt or whatever, the hedge fund guys don't care because they paid themselves and they're not liable for the company's debts.

That's how Mitt Romney made his money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

call to action posted:

Well I'm pretty sure parents trading clothes and thrift shops aren't new, so that leaves: online shopping, people having fewer kids, and people having less money.

In my parents generation pretty much everyone in their peer group had kids by their mid to late 20's. In my very large social circle I know 2 people who have had kids even though over half are married by now. When rent takes up 50+% of your income, landlords can and will kick people out randomly so they can jack the rent up another 200 a month to someone new, and the economy is lovely and maternity leave is a joke very few people plan on kids. Or going shopping at any stores really. Money goes to eating out and "experiences". Also with everyone living in a tiny apartment and moving a lot it's hard to hoard consumer goods these days like the previous few generations. You can't just buy that new kitchen gadget that you end up never using for years because you literally don't have any place to store anything you don't use. There's no basement or garage to pile up with consumer junk, just a tiny galley kitchen and a 10x10 bedroom.

What's hilarious is that so much of the previous generations massive consumer spending was bankrolled by the huge amounts of money they got out of their housing equity and the whole housing-as-investment scheme the government and finance encourages, but now a whole generation is priced out because boomers spent generations violently opposing anything that might see their house not go up in value fast enough. Then they yell about how millennials are killing retail and millennials are too selfish to have kids.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

This type of thing started at a particular time. Guess the presidency corporate raiders really hit thier stride.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Also with everyone living in a tiny apartment and moving a lot it's hard to hoard consumer goods these days like the previous few generations. You can't just buy that new kitchen gadget that you end up never using for years because you literally don't have any place to store anything you don't use. There's no basement or garage to pile up with consumer junk, just a tiny galley kitchen and a 10x10 bedroom.
Plus everything you own is going to move to a new apartment several times, and gently caress moving anything you don't even use.

Probably another reason thrifting/craigslist/etc have gotten more popular: More and more people dumping stuff they don't want to store or move means a better and better selection of stuff for the buyers.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Haifisch posted:

Plus everything you own is going to move to a new apartment several times, and gently caress moving anything you don't even use.

Probably another reason thrifting/craigslist/etc have gotten more popular: More and more people dumping stuff they don't want to store or move means a better and better selection of stuff for the buyers.

So you can make money off that stuff in storage and stop paying for a rental?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Haifisch posted:

Since so many people around here have leases start and end on September 1st, we call the whole time surrounding that from when the first stuff gets left outside houses to the first time it rains after the Allston Christmas. The thrift stores get too much business to handle donations so stuff just goes on sidewalks and porches etc.

Magius1337est posted:

Sure you can, but it's not usually all that much.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 27, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Magius1337est posted:

Hahahaha what kinda one-horse town do you live in where you think selling some used appliances is all the difference between renting and owning

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hahahaha what kinda one-horse town do you live in where you think selling some used appliances is all the difference between renting and owning

I think he means the rental you're paying on the storage unit full of stuff you don't need.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

fishmech posted:

I think he means the rental you're paying on the storage unit full of stuff you don't need.

That's a very reasonable interpretation and therefore not at all funny :colbert:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a house in 2014 and the value has gone up by like 60 percent, it owns

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

call to action posted:

Lol enjoy the maintenance costs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

call to action posted:

Same, but also the taxes have gone up 60%

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Xae posted:

Leveraged Buyouts are great ideas.

You go into a shitload of debt to buy a company.

You then transfer the obligation to pay off debt to that company.

You then sell everything not bolted down and run that company into the ground doing a bunch of dumb short term profit poo poo.

It all collapses but it doesn't matter because you made a fuckload of money.

Not quite. The private equity firms assumed ownership of Toys R Us with the hope that they could turn it around and then sell it (either unload it to someone else or IPO) within 5-8 years, but they failed. And this loss is passed on to the banks (who presumably get first dibs on the corpse) and private equity investors.

Edit: or so it was explained to me. Maybe that's just the high finance propaganda bullshit line.

Edit2: after thinking about this more, there's no way the individuals involved in these LBOs aren't making mad bank from doing them

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 27, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

unless they're taxing your house at 100% i have little sympathy, bourgeois scum

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

How this works is the hedge fund buys a company, borrows extensively in the company's name, pays themselves a ton of money and then the company struggles or goes bankrupt or whatever, the hedge fund guys don't care because they paid themselves and they're not liable for the company's debts.

That's how Mitt Romney made his money.

In these situations, is there enough of a corpse to make the lenders whole as well? It would seem to me that once a bank sees the same fund do this a few times they wouldn't be lending out money quite so easily.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Not quite. The private equity firms assumed ownership of Toys R Us with the hope that they could turn it around and then sell it (either unload it to someone else or IPO) within 5-8 years, but they failed. And this loss is passed on to the banks (who presumably get first dibs on the corpse) and private equity investors.

Edit: or so it was explained to me. Maybe that's just the high finance propaganda bullshit line.

Edit2: after thinking about this more, there's no way the individuals involved in these LBOs aren't making mad bank from doing them

yeah and also in the 5-8 years they get to charge hundreds of millions in "consultancy" and "transaction" fees

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

fishmech posted:

No it's totally cool, kids who get locked in homeschooling with no touch with outside culture end up just fine!

Just fine :shepicide:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
How do the lenders make money off these? If the hedge fund sells everything of value, does the liquidation actually make the lender back the loan they gave to the hedge fund in the first place?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Reveilled posted:

How do the lenders make money off these? If the hedge fund sells everything of value, does the liquidation actually make the lender back the loan they gave to the hedge fund in the first place?

in toys r us example, they charged about 400 million in interest per year

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Again they often chain this poo poo. Just the lenders holding the potato when the music stops have to worry about liquidation.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

call to action posted:

I bought in May 2016 and I already have $25,000 in equity.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Badger of Basra posted:

unless they're taxing your house at 100% i have little sympathy, bourgeois scum

I think I'll make it without your sympathy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

anonumos posted:

I bought in May 2016 and I already have $25,000 in equity.

Eat the rich.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bring on another "market correction".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You've only made money on housing after you've sold, everything else is paper gains. So so many people count their chicks before they hatch when it comes to that. I've seen countless boomers who mine their house equity to spend now and dig too deep and greedily then oops the market is down when you need to sell, or oops you didn't factor in that that 100k paper gain barely covers the soft costs of selling plus some code issues that need repairs before it can be sold.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

BigRed0427 posted:

Maybe but Amazon owns

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Lol enjoy the maintenance costs.

Lol maintenance costs don't mean much when you made over $100k in two years for doing nothing

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I know, my tax burden is a ridiculous $1,700 a year, who could ever deal with that

Baronjutter posted:

You've only made money on housing after you've sold, everything else is paper gains. So so many people count their chicks before they hatch when it comes to that. I've seen countless boomers who mine their house equity to spend now and dig too deep and greedily then oops the market is down when you need to sell, or oops you didn't factor in that that 100k paper gain barely covers the soft costs of selling plus some code issues that need repairs before it can be sold.

Luckily I'm in Colorado, aka the one place on the coasts besides Chicago that has real jobs and doesn't lynch gays, so you can go ahead and 'market correct' all you want this ain't Las Vegas. I'm expecting the value to increase as climate refugees flood inland.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jesus.

Keep this bookmarked for the inevitable 2035 thread "Whoops, Roving Water Gangs shot my wife and burned my house down. How do I recover all the :airquote: equity :airquote: from the ashes?"

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
In a LBO there are three groups that make it happen the current shareholders the PE company and the lenders.

The shareholders will get paid because to sell they will want more than market price to be offered.

The pe company will get paid since they can withdraw value from the target company.

The lenders though are not guaranteed to get paid, so they are very incentivised to make sure that the pe company can add value to the target company, otherwise it would make more sense for the lenders just to buy equity in the company itself.

I don't know much about Bain capital, but given that they have been doing fund raising for pe for nearly 20 years, they prolly on average do add value to the companies they buy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Bain Capital owns outright or large stakes in a ton of long term well performing companies, yeah. They've got or have had in the past stakes in companies from Dunkin Donuts to Burger King to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (yes the textbook publisher).

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Disclaimer: I am one of those brick-and-mortar murdering Amazonians (albeit one of the low-level ones that actually touches packages).

Here's the issue with retail, as I see it - no magic and no loving pride. I'm not talking about the employees; rather, it's the whole ambiance, aesthetics, and atmosphere thing.

So many retail stores feel like shopping in a warehouse, or in some office park suite, or they just seem overly pretentious for the area they're in. Hmm, yes, nice and shiny bookstore...right across from an obviously faded and never updated Arby's restaurant, and right next to some no-name tanning salon that never seems to get any real business.

For non-essential stuff, years of economic pinching on the consumer side and a focus on cost-cutting and "value, value, value" have basically set a utilitarian precedent that is leading to a spiral. If I already work in a warehouse, why do I want to shop in one and pay the same (or more) for the same product when I can get it from all manner of online sellers? If I don't feel there's any fun to browsing, if I don't feel like I'll find anything new, if I and other consumers don't have some intangible and miniscule sense of wonder, surprise, or whatever the hell, then what's our motivation to waste time, gas, and money to go into a retail store unless we absolutely have to?

It's bland, cookie-cutter bullshit. It's the aesthetic trappings that are generic and soulless, that say "Here's the bare minimum amount of effort we can expend to attract you, now give us your money!". It's the unmotivated staff, who don't get paid enough and don't have much authority or autonomy to run things on the ground.

And one might argue that I'm coming at this from an entitled, First World perspective, that it's just thinking too much about consumerism and foo-foo capitalist materialism bullshit. But it does matter, in the same way that pop culture does (in fact) matter! This is the culture and society that we live in, that we work in, that we use to function and live our lives with. How we do retail reflects the state of that essential being.

You can watch all manner of travel shows, and what's often a prominent point of interest in them? It's the local market/bazaar/retail district, the restaurants and food vendors, and that's because that is where the culture and values of the locals are readily apparent and reflected. It's meant to make you want to go there and browse, because it's new and exotic and an experience that you won't readily find where you are.

That's what retail should be driving for to compete.

So, to TL;DR - retail in the US just seems aggravatingly homogenous in how it tries to appeal to consumers, it's too focused on trying to compete on prices rather than service or ambiance or being a local institution, and many brands have written their own death warrants by training consumers into a mercenary "race to the bottom" mentality, rather than trying to inspire true loyalty and retention.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Disclaimer: I am one of those brick-and-mortar murdering Amazonians (albeit one of the low-level ones that actually touches packages).

Here's the issue with retail, as I see it - no magic and no loving pride. I'm not talking about the employees; rather, it's the whole ambiance, aesthetics, and atmosphere thing.

So many retail stores feel like shopping in a warehouse, or in some office park suite, or they just seem overly pretentious for the area they're in. Hmm, yes, nice and shiny bookstore...right across from an obviously faded and never updated Arby's restaurant, and right next to some no-name tanning salon that never seems to get any real business.

For non-essential stuff, years of economic pinching on the consumer side and a focus on cost-cutting and "value, value, value" have basically set a utilitarian precedent that is leading to a spiral. If I already work in a warehouse, why do I want to shop in one and pay the same (or more) for the same product when I can get it from all manner of online sellers? If I don't feel there's any fun to browsing, if I don't feel like I'll find anything new, if I and other consumers don't have some intangible and miniscule sense of wonder, surprise, or whatever the hell, then what's our motivation to waste time, gas, and money to go into a retail store unless we absolutely have to?

It's bland, cookie-cutter bullshit. It's the aesthetic trappings that are generic and soulless, that say "Here's the bare minimum amount of effort we can expend to attract you, now give us your money!". It's the unmotivated staff, who don't get paid enough and don't have much authority or autonomy to run things on the ground.

And one might argue that I'm coming at this from an entitled, First World perspective, that it's just thinking too much about consumerism and foo-foo capitalist materialism bullshit. But it does matter, in the same way that pop culture does (in fact) matter! This is the culture and society that we live in, that we work in, that we use to function and live our lives with. How we do retail reflects the state of that essential being.

You can watch all manner of travel shows, and what's often a prominent point of interest in them? It's the local market/bazaar/retail district, the restaurants and food vendors, and that's because that is where the culture and values of the locals are readily apparent and reflected. It's meant to make you want to go there and browse, because it's new and exotic and an experience that you won't readily find where you are.

So, to TL;DR - retail in the US just seems aggravatingly homogenous in how it tries to appeal to consumers, it's too focused on trying to compete on prices rather than service or ambiance or being a local institution, and many brands have written their own death warrants by training consumers into a mercenary "race to the bottom" mentality, rather than trying to inspire true loyalty and retention.

Isn't this kind of an odd criticism coming from someone who is employed because of Amazon; whose success and growth is built 100% upon the alter of "competing on prices" and foregoing ambiance and flash in favor of convenience and costs?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Counterpoint: Costco is literally a warehouse and is my favorite place to shop (sans all the disneyland-esque space mountain crowds at all hours of the day, which means its doing insanely well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

But the actual residents of whatever foreign land are just going to their own countries' chains and such for a lot of their shopping in reality.