Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Baloogan posted:

I don't really 'get' instagram. is it really just a site for pictures and videos? isn't that what every site is? why is instagram a thing

KIDS these days

As I see it, became popular because it was one of the first sites/apps to allow uploading from a mobile phone with basic GIMP/Photoshop filters, like the ones that stretch the colors in a way that's like removing a thin sheet of wax paper that all digital photos should do, or those "artsy" sepia tone filters, in a time before a lot of websites had mobile HTML5 versions so only the app was available. I never used Instagram because I couldn't afford a smartphone when it came out. Well, I could afford the smartphone itself, but the phones with cheapo $8/month phone card plans didn't support smartphones until a few years later.

Now that nearly every browser supports the latest versions of HTML and CSS, which support styling a page based on the dimensions of the browser or device screen, there isn't any need to have a separate app in most cases aside from a slight increase in speed. For some reason, the Instagram and Snapchat don't allow contributing from directly in-browser and maybe some site in the future will use the latest HTML/CSS to take advantage of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

esteemed KKK member, Fred Christ Trump

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

brugroffil posted:

Twitter will eventually expand character count to the point you can post 20k word essays in one go

twitter could be a new language learning program wherein you start with simple shitposts and eventually graduate to masterful screeds

everyone is still working on that english thing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nice

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Posting on page sixty-nine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

where did 68 go

it's like everyone realized it was election day all of a sudden

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

semper fidelisss

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

like a chinese family

buying up valuable posting real estate

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
lucky number 70

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
whoops i screwed up and posted on a completely nondescript page number

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/912788539921850368

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Hola DEA!

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

good maybe trump will replace him with someone who will WIN the war on drugs

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

galenanorth posted:

As I see it, became popular because it was one of the first sites/apps to allow uploading from a mobile phone with basic GIMP/Photoshop filters, like the ones that stretch the colors in a way that's like removing a thin sheet of wax paper that all digital photos should do, or those "artsy" sepia tone filters, in a time before a lot of websites had mobile HTML5 versions so only the app was available. I never used Instagram because I couldn't afford a smartphone when it came out. Well, I could afford the smartphone itself, but the phones with cheapo $8/month phone card plans didn't support smartphones until a few years later.

Now that nearly every browser supports the latest versions of HTML and CSS, which support styling a page based on the dimensions of the browser or device screen, there isn't any need to have a separate app in most cases aside from a slight increase in speed. For some reason, the Instagram and Snapchat don't allow contributing from directly in-browser and maybe some site in the future will use the latest HTML/CSS to take advantage of that.

nice

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bitchell has gone all in promoting this bill pulte guy, whose main thing is removing ""blight"" from """urban"'" areas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

whats a matter trump

you act like you aint never seen a severed head on a tortoise before

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

galenanorth posted:

instagram was also where all the cool teens could run after every parent got a facebook. thats pretty much the cycle with social media, also snapchat

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:rip:

after all of these threads, i'm on the sexy time thread!!! :vince:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*is 69 years old*

hey kids check out the hottest new platform

it's fire

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/912833565393596416

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

nice

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That's putting it mildly. He is a relic from before the code of Hammurabi. He is someone who does not even know what the value is about having consistent rules about things.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

trump

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Reality Winner posted:

Bitchell has gone all in promoting this bill pulte guy, whose main thing is removing ""blight"" from """urban"'" areas.

"may the darkness have no room to hide in the light" he says as he blows on a whistle, causing all the dogs in the world to inexplicably howl

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Nice page

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/passantino/status/912871658498560001

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

poo poo

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

I had something witty to say and I hosed it up

TRUMP

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

I had something witty to say and I hosed it up

TRUMP

nice?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

trump would assume the 69 position and just close his eyes and not suck

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nice

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

TRUMP

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why did he choose to support him at the last minute anyway?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

really respecting the presidential records requirements

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I am a failure. Much like Trump

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm still marvelling at this personally https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/912788806687952896

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:chloe:

• Locked thread