Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A lot of the buzz around Magic Knight Rayearth centered on it being made by most of the team that made Phantasy Star 4, from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Nice! Even adjusted for inflation, that would still be a great return if you had to sell it.

That said...is Magic Knight Rayearth even a good game?

I do remember enjoying it but I have yet to get the itch to replay it. It's definitely not $300 good. I think part of the reason I haven't gotten serious about selling my copy is that I can't think of another game I'd actually be willing to drop that much money on. And of the handful of really pricey games I have, I can think of others I'd sell first. Like Albert Odyssey is hovering around $200-ish these days and I think I'd be more likely to get rid of that if I just wanted some spending money. Just such a bog-average game. And SNES Harvest Moon, which is fun but kinda dated when there are so many sequels that expanded upon it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Rirse posted:

Is there a good hard-drive to use on Amazon?

I had one in my cart's "saved for later" along with the y cable and memory card, but then I realized I deleted all of that a couple months back when I decided I probably won't have a need to do it since my Xbox playing is so little so I can just load off of the disk. I play my PS2 more, so having the HDD made more sense.

Oh well, sorry. You just need to check the compatibility lists and there are a bunch on Amazon, though a good amount are refurbished or used, so keep an eye out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I might just stick with the burned cds instead, since it not a system that needs a 250 GB hard-drive like the PS2.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can make your Xbox read burnt disks? Mine refuses to read any that I've tried and from what I've googled it's not uncommon.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Looks like Retro-Access finally has a website up for their SCART cables, with cheaper prices than their Ebay store:

https://retro-access.com/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

You can make your Xbox read burnt disks? Mine refuses to read any that I've tried and from what I've googled it's not uncommon.

Dunno, I haven't tried it yet, as I have to wait on the USB attachment for the controller to arrive before I can softmod. It can read discs at least, since Splinter Cell was running just fine.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Magic Knight Rayearth is a very decent action RPG, but nothing exceptional. It's colorful and charming in that Working Designs way, has a bafflingly large amount of extra dialogue for examining inconsequential objects, and has some well-designed boss fights. It was my last major Saturn purchase, and I want to say I bought it in 2012 and paid about $80 for a disc-only copy (Fuu disc art, if you were curious). No regrets.

Far more essential is Legend of Oasis, which is still going for around $50 on eBay. It's a mystery to me why this game never blew up the way other quality Saturn titles did. I'd go as far as to call it my favorite Saturn game not by Treasure, and as far as Zelda-like puzzly action-adventure games go, it's about as good as Alundra, if not better. It has a hidden two-player mode that lets you sequence break by using the other player as a platform. You need this game in your life.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 27, 2017

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Elliotw2 posted:

Speaking of which, did anybody ever flash their Xbox DVD drive? Modified DVD firmware came out for the Samsung drives at the very end of the OG Xbox's life that let you leave the system unmodified and play your "backups" :rolleyes: online. That's why 360 got hacked just a few months after release because it launched with a variant of the same Samsung DVD drive that was in the final OGs. April 2006 for Xbox then May 2006 for 360, kind of like how the late Gamecube drivechips led almost immediately to variants for the launch day Wiis. So few people cared about OG Xbox by that time that this seems kind of lost to :filez: history. I never bothered because I never had a LIVE subscription and a modchip or even a softmod was cooler to me in every way.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the "shortest" of the big 16-bit RPGs?

Background is that I've got a weeklong business trip coming up soon, and I'm gonna be bored out of my gourd in the evenings in my hotel room. I'd like to sink my teeth into something that's completable in around 15ish hours of play, if something like that even exists. Not looking for something massive like FF6, but something smaller and easily digestible.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Drone posted:

What's the "shortest" of the big 16-bit RPGs?

Background is that I've got a weeklong business trip coming up soon, and I'm gonna be bored out of my gourd in the evenings in my hotel room. I'd like to sink my teeth into something that's completable in around 15ish hours of play, if something like that even exists. Not looking for something massive like FF6, but something smaller and easily digestible.

Also interested in this. Earthbound?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super Mario RPG is quite short - 15 hours to the end and a few more for 100%, I guess? The Mario & Luigi RPG for GBA is about the same length.

Chrono Trigger's around 20, so's Phantasy Star 4. I wanna say Earthbound is around that long, maybe longer, but it'll require more grinding than CT/PS4.

They're not classic nor Japanese but Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is pretty brisk (and free), as is Undertale - they're both around 6 hours long, give or take.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 27, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If action RPGs count, you can finish Beyond Oasis in 15 hours, and Light Crusader in probably half that. I've played both in recent years and think they've held up well.

For the life of me, I can't think of a bite-sized traditional 16-bit RPG though, because there was inevitably grinding to pad out the content.

Edit: Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG do move by rather quickly, but I wouldn't count on finishing either in a couple of evenings, especially if it's your first time playing them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 27, 2017

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can breeze through FF Mystic Quest in about 8 hours.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of the buzz around Magic Knight Rayearth centered on it being made by most of the team that made Phantasy Star 4, from memory.

It also got attention because it was a visually stunning traditional 2-D game at a time when 90 percent of the original PlayStation and Saturn output was new-fangled polygons. It's still a pretty game with a neat character-swapping concept, but it's very easy, even with the typical Working Designs boost in challenge.

Silhouette posted:

You can breeze through FF Mystic Quest in about 8 hours.

Not that you would want to.

If you need a good travel RPG around 15 hours and you have a PSP or Vita, I'd just skip past the 16-bit era and play the original Suikoden. Panzer Dragoon Saga is also that length, but it's not exactly portable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kid Fenris posted:

If you need a good travel RPG around 15 hours and you have a PSP or Vita, I'd just skip past the 16-bit era and play the original Suikoden. Panzer Dragoon Saga is also that length, but it's not exactly portable.

Suikoden is also an option. I've been meaning to get into that but never have, but I was under the impression that it's anything but a short game. I thought 108 characters = long as gently caress epic storyline.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The majority of those characters are optional, and you can finish the game with the normal ending pretty quickly even if you don't know what you're doing.

Getting all 108 in any Suikoden game is a pain in the rear end though.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

IIRC the original Star Ocean is very short, but it's been forever since I played it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Most old RPGs are actually shorter than you remember them.

I know I've done a playthrough of Chrono Trigger in about 12 hours.

Veib posted:

IIRC the original Star Ocean is very short, but it's been forever since I played it.

My time on the PSP remake was just barely over 10 hours so that sounds about right.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rollersnake posted:

If action RPGs count, you can finish Beyond Oasis in 15 hours, and Light Crusader in probably half that. I've played both in recent years and think they've held up well.

For the life of me, I can't think of a bite-sized traditional 16-bit RPG though, because there was inevitably grinding to pad out the content.

Edit: Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG do move by rather quickly, but I wouldn't count on finishing either in a couple of evenings, especially if it's your first time playing them.

Light Crusader is stunningly brief. I still remember finishing the dungeon and thinking okay, where's the next dungeon going to be? Oops, theres the credits! I did a playthrough about a year or so ago and I think I got through it in about 7 hours. That involved at least an hour maybe an hour and a half of backtracking and redoing puzzles I'd botched.

But for more traditional RPGs in the 16-bit era, I have to imagine it would be Mystic Quest.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Magic Knight Rayearth

is a fun game, but the english voice acting is just awful (I may be repeating myself here) but with japanese voices and english text it's quite good.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Sounds about like what I would expect, being an anime/manga license and all. I could see how it would be hot poo poo to otaku gamers in the mid to late 1990s, when anime was more obscure in the US and releases often meant settling for Viz VHS stuff or finding hookups for fansubs.

For me it was pretty much this exactly, especially since I was a teen girl. Teen girl license on top of it is pretty niche.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Phantasium posted:

My time on the PSP remake was just barely over 10 hours so that sounds about right.

That sounds pretty ideal then. Since I haven't played Star Ocean before, should I be doing the SNES version or the PSP remake?

I assume it's one of those things like FF1 where people just recommend to play the modern remake for quality-of-life reasons.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh I recommend not playing Star Ocean

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Star Ocean as a whole serves only to disappoint.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Star Ocean 1 and 2 are ok enough and the PSP versions are the versions you should play if you have the chance. They both added a bit more content and rebalanced the game to require even less grinding, and re-recorded the voices to be still mediocre but not 90's mediocre.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Rayearth's US release also got noticed because it was the last Sega Saturn game seen in the US, months after Sega backed out and stores clearanced the system.

What's more, Rayearth went through a bunch of delays beyond the usual Working Designs process: some of the source code went missing, and Sega and WD bickered over the localization. Sega initially wanted to use the character names (Blaze/Luce, Marine, Anemone) from an Americanized version of the TV show that they hoped would be the next Sailor Moon.

That version of the show never aired here (it's now a holy grail among people who hunt obscure anime dubs), and by the time Rayearth closed out the Saturn's career, American kids could buy a more faithfully translated version of the TV show at Suncoast and read the manga in that hideous Mixxine thing. So it worked out for the better.

One last thing: I always figured Rayearth wouldn't be super rare because WD president Victor Ireland was still selling new copies on eBay a few years after the company folded. Whoops.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Within the last week I've started streaming a playthrough of Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. Yet another forgotten (for the better) part of my childhood I never completed and I don't know any better sooooooo....

I've seem to forgotten just how haphazard the translation is too. It varies from being dry-but-correct to random punctuation and odd phrases.

It also does a really, really bad job of explaining what you have to do at times. The desert puzzle and finding the nails you need to get a working ship can both gently caress off.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have made an excellent decision.

Unfortunately, my Skunkboard is still in transit from Poland so the only game I have for it is Hover Strike. It's pretty fun if you can get past the abysmal framerate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have made an excellent decision.

Unfortunately, my Skunkboard is still in transit from Poland so the only game I have for it is Hover Strike. It's pretty fun if you can get past the abysmal framerate.

Your toilet's missing the bowl :colbert:.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Why did you buy a dental cleaning machine?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your toilet's missing the bowl :colbert:.

Look, the Jag CD sells for nearly $1000 on eBay. I can buy a whole Falcon030 for that.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Is there a SNES mini inside? I thought the crowdfunding for those were pulled after the scam was revealed?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

Is there a SNES mini inside? I thought the crowdfunding for those were pulled after the scam was revealed?

It was a capture card, if memory serves correctly.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Haha, I hadn't thought of the Coleco Chameleon in a while. It was a capture card that they posted a picture of, saying it was their custom FPGA board. Then at a show they had a SNES mini in a Jag shell, yeah.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

univbee posted:

It was a capture card, if memory serves correctly.

Haha, both. A capture card in some pictures, and then a SNES mini when they took it to the NY Toy Show as a "concept". Though they tried to lie and said they just hardwired the SNES controllers to their board... but were too dumb to realize people would recognize a Nintendo proprietary AV cable and an Everdrive on top...

One incident may have happened under the RetroVGS label and the other under Coleco Chameleon

edit: like Manky said ^^

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

There's 64 BITS OF POWER inside.

Manky posted:

Haha, I hadn't thought of the Coleco Chameleon in a while. It was a capture card that they posted a picture of, saying it was their custom FPGA board. Then at a show they had a SNES mini in a Jag shell, yeah.

I can't find the tweet but recently I saw some German medical equipment on Twitter that someone opened up... to find a GBA inside with a flash cart.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kid Fenris posted:

What's more, Rayearth went through a bunch of delays beyond the usual Working Designs process: some of the source code went missing, and Sega and WD bickered over the localization. Sega initially wanted to use the character names (Blaze/Luce, Marine, Anemone) from an Americanized version of the TV show that they hoped would be the next Sailor Moon.
Oh weird. I remember watching bits of it while visiting relatives in latin america. Their translation had Lucy, Anais, and Marina. They also had a clunky as gently caress translation for Magic Knight/Swordsman (espadachin magica) to my americanized ears.

But I still remember a bit of the theme song: "Lucy, Anais y Marina / Lograran salvar/ a Cefiro del mal! / Luchando juntas / nadien las podran derrotar!

It's too bad it never got a stateside release. It seems like the perfect halfway point between Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya.
VvV
Sorry, I should have said "too bad the anime never got a chance in the states"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 27, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
^ the ANIME got a stateside release, it just wasn't overly Americanized ala Sailor Moon. You can still buy the complete box set from Wal Mart. I own an older version of it.

It did get a stateside release...

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In French-speaking and certain other territories (you mentioned Spanish-speaking ones) they actually had a pretty high supply of Anime and manga stretching from the 60's into the 90's that never got an English release, shows that are household names the way G.I. Joe and Transformers are to American 80's kids. I think they still do, also; if you exclude fansubs there are a few series available formally in purchasable manga form in France which aren't available (or available later) in English. Evem Ghibli films, French release is usually the first priority after the Asian block of countries.

Oh yeah, also exclusive to French speakers is this loving thing I need to sit down and read for the horror.

• Locked thread