Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Know Such Peace posted:

Are you by chance a fan of the blogger The Last Psychiatrist? The blog morphed over several years from an insider's guide to everything wrong with modern psychiatry to a blog about how baby boomers and generation x have destroyed future generations with their rampant narcissism. He got doxxed in 2014 and abruptly stopped updating, and his internet absence has left a hole that Chapo just barely manages to fill on their best days.

Every time the Chapo crew goes in on liberal media viewing the world as if it were a movie in-progress, I think of TLP.

Here is one possible starting point if anyone is interested. It's about how the Matrix is the perfect representation of American Narcissism.

No, gently caress this guy, gently caress his beliefs, gently caress his whole lovely gimmick. This isn't Chapo, this isn't anything like Chapo. Unless he's talking about actual literal kung fu fights against ninjas (he isn't) this is a liberal centrist whining about participation trophies with the language of mental health. I guarantee you this shitstain voted for Hillary because America Is Great Already and anyone who says we can do better is a snowflake who needs to Grow Up. He's a little right in saying that a better life won't be downloaded to you by some guy over a phone, but Chapo says as much. As they say right in the show, listening to a podcast is not doing politics, and change takes real actual hard work.

He might have a point about vanity and narcissism in men, the way Snow Crash wrote about dudes' tendancy to incorrectly imagine themselves as badasses, but you know what? Chapo says gently caress that too. You, too, can be an actual literal nazi-puncher, and according to Chapo, it's awesome and right when you do. Maybe that's not the same as kung fu fighting ninjas (that aren't actually in The Matrix) but it's about even with Indiana Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Desus & Mero rule and are the second best thing on Vice behind Nirvanna the Band the Show and if you disagree you're a real sack of poo poo.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Skyscraper posted:

He might have a point about vanity and narcissism in men, the way Snow Crash wrote about dudes' tendancy to incorrectly imagine themselves as badasses, but you know what? Chapo says gently caress that too. You, too, can be an actual literal nazi-puncher, and according to Chapo, it's awesome and right when you do. Maybe that's not the same as kung fu fighting ninjas (that aren't actually in The Matrix) but it's about even with Indiana Jones.

The difference is also that Chapo doesn't have Amber pop in and go "On my upbringing I have noticed quite some racism, and that's fundamental to pander to if you actually want to improve real people's conditions instead of idpol poo poo like blm or fight for 15. Plz ignore like every piece on my site that shits on improving worker's conditions bc Fidel Castro is bad or the recruitment propaganda or any other awful poo poo my colleagues would scream at if it was on an actual paper of note."

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Neon Belly posted:

They love to say "lol triggered" but don't care that Trump has been tweeting about the NFL for days.

When they say "people are to easily offended these days" they mean "I can't be openly racist and sexist anymore" they have never ever cared about free speech.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
conservatives are the loving easiest people in the world to "trigger" yet they have zero self awareness about it, it rules

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want Chapo to talk about the Ken Burns Vietnam series, because it's powerful.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

Unless he's talking about actual literal kung fu fights against ninjas (he isn't) this is a liberal centrist whining about participation trophies with the language of mental health.

So you didn't read the article? That's fine. It's weird to criticize it though.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want Chapo to talk about the Ken Burns Vietnam series, because it's powerful.

I've yet to see it myself, but it seems John Pilger's not a fan.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TomViolence posted:

This is a valid critique, but I still found the file footage and interviews with vets, particularly the ones with Viet Minh soldiers, to be worth the time.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Know Such Peace posted:

So you didn't read the article? That's fine. It's weird to criticize it though.
lol got me

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is a valid critique, but I still found the file footage and interviews with vets, particularly the ones with Viet Minh soldiers, to be worth the time.

yea it's an excellent documentary that absolutely deserves some critiques regardless. Pilger's take is very good on it even as someone who enjoyed it. The constant search for 'meaning' in what were wars of pure imperialism is a really absurd and downright sociopath trait of the 'intellectual left' where they're willing to agree these wars were horrific acts that destroyed countless but they had to happen for a REASON and it can't just be we're an imperial force in the world that wanted to grind opposition into dust.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TomViolence posted:

Harsh, but I found the documentary got harsher on the US as it went along and it gives the vietnamese equal billing for once.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

Harsh, but I found the documentary got harsher on the US as it went along and it gives the vietnamese equal billing for once.

yea really any doc about that war that gives equal time to locals saying 'uh actually I didn't really give a poo poo about communism or whatever I just was terrified that my home would be the next to get leveled' instantly gets a few points. It's really pathetic how rare even leftist documentaries giving time for the Vietnamese perspective beyond quick 'yea killing us wasn't nice' cuts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sexpig by night posted:

The constant search for 'meaning' in what were wars of pure imperialism is a really absurd and downright sociopath trait of the 'intellectual left' where they're willing to agree these wars were horrific acts that destroyed countless but they had to happen for a REASON and it can't just be we're an imperial force in the world that wanted to grind opposition into dust.
Such people seem to think that imperialism was the result of ideological frameworks like containment or domino theory or whatever, rather than those things being rationales for imperialism. Of course you can extrapolate that to many liberals' view on racism and a hell of a lot of other things.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

TomViolence posted:

This sounds like Pilger has an axe to grind and wrote that article even before quickly watching only one of the ten episodes. He has a point about the Gulf of Tonkin incident, which kind of disingenuously implies only the North Vietnamese saw it as an opportunity to escalate the conflict and that the US Navy was just overzealously chasing ghosts. But it admits the first attack was questionable and the second one didn't even happen - far from making it seem like a heroic fight. Not to mention its place in the documentary is sandwiched between myriad interviews and coverage of just about everyone in the US gov - going back to Truman - knowing Vietnam was a huge loving mess but steadily escalating anyway. The entire first episode frames the war as Vietnam justly seeking independence from colonial rule.

I still have a couple episodes left, but unless things take a turn the documentary presents the Vietnam War as nothing short of an unnecessary tragedy for the people of Vietnam and the young men we sent there and that from the start we were never, ever going to "win."

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Such people seem to think that imperialism was the result of ideological frameworks like containment or domino theory or whatever, rather than those things being rationales for imperialism. Of course you can extrapolate that to many liberals' view on racism and a hell of a lot of other things.

I mean if I remember correctly that's pretty much what we were taught in school in regards to imperialism.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't seen the documentary; however, I was fortunate enough to have an elective in high school that was focused only on the Vietnam War for an entire semester (on top of IB US History, etc).

This is a super reductionist summation of what happened, but it's impossible to not trace the "inevitably" of the war back to imperialism being a motherfucker and then every single Western leader not giving Ho Chi Minh the time of day. It's this reactionary bullshit where being proactive isn't on the table because it's way easier to ignore every single bit of inbound information and going "oh we didn't know!" and then starting up the meat grinder because the War Machine Must Be Fed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The_Rob posted:

I mean if I remember correctly that's pretty much what we were taught in school in regards to imperialism.

pretty much, even my lefty teachers taught that imperialism was a reaction to other forces and ideologies rather than those things being convenient lampshades for imperialism. Very few people in any imperial power want to acknowledge that imperialism was just the accepted mainstream view of things even among progressive heroes and all.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

when I was in high school we got to pick from a couple books about the Viet Nam war for summer reading, almost everyone in my class went with Dispatches but I read When Heaven and Earth Changed Places, which I now think should definitely be assigned way more frequently than it is.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

cat doter posted:

conservatives are the loving easiest people in the world to "trigger" yet they have zero self awareness about it, it rules

They all have PTSD from the time a checkout clerk wished them happy holidays at Kroger's

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

when I was in high school we got to pick from a couple books about the Viet Nam war for summer reading, almost everyone in my class went with Dispatches but I read When Heaven and Earth Changed Places, which I now think should definitely be assigned way more frequently than it is.

Fields of Fire was on the USMC Commandant's NCO reading list and I feel like I'm the only one who read it, or at least I read it with a leftist slant.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Fields of Fire is a solid read, don't know much about the context and all it was written in proper but it's very easy to read from a leftist lens regardless

edit: tbh Webb's books swing from 'batshit insane banana story' to 'actually genuinely good reads' so heavily it makes me wonder if he had a ghost writer

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Matterhorn is the best Vietnam novel I've read. It's author is all over the first two episodes of the Ken Burns documentary.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ron Jeremy posted:

Matterhorn

It's great, seconding.

I also read Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans around the same time which I'd recommend in tandem.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Not fully devoted to the Vietnam War, but the second half or so of Manufacturing Consent by Chomsky is a must-read for how the war was portrayed in US media at the time.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Matt put this up on Twitter and it's exactly the sort of poo poo I'm talking about.

These depressing assholes can't even just say "Hey guys, enjoy the non-satirical adventures of Storm Saxon" for their own sake. They know this poo poo is some embarrassing bottom of the barrel poo poo, so they have to imagine that somewhere, some undergrad at Oberlin is deeply offended by their sub-Liefeld jackoff fantasy.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm the double confed flag costume

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So the alt right doesn't really produce any art, huh? Like, the broader political left has a ridiculous amount of writers, visual artists, bands, directors, rappers, etc, but the right-wing equivalent seems to be poo poo liek We Love Our Cops and that Liefeld ripoff super hero. The dry boys were right about their media being not only reactionary but reactive--unsubtle pastiches of poo poo that other people have done better or at least earlier.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea really any doc about that war that gives equal time to locals saying 'uh actually I didn't really give a poo poo about communism or whatever I just was terrified that my home would be the next to get leveled' instantly gets a few points. It's really pathetic how rare even leftist documentaries giving time for the Vietnamese perspective beyond quick 'yea killing us wasn't nice' cuts.

Reminds me of a Garth Ennis story in which a US 'observer' was sent packing after a french garrison was destroyed by locals. "This is not French Indochina. This is not French Anything. This is Vietnam."

His 'Born' series for Punisher Max was pretty much the first mass media I ever read that showed Vietnam as just vile, dumb and fueled only by some crazy inevitable 'wisdom' of imperialist escalation.

quote:

We cannot lose in Vietnam.
Try as we might.
Though our Generals are so stupid, our strategy so poor, as to all but guarantee defeat ...
Though our morale is trampled in the deepest ditch, shot through with heroin and bitter failure ...
Though we face the toughest, bravest, fighters in the world, strange little men with hearts like those of tigers ...
Though we make the world despise us ...
Though we do things that will stain our souls forever ...
Though America eats its own intestines over this, cities riven with unrest, leaders inspiring loathing and distrust ...
We cannot lose.
Because when we are gone -- when the brave little fighters kick us out, and we finally lose all stomach for this wretched, knotted puzzle
of a war --
No one -- no one -- in South-East Asia, or anywhere on Earth, will look at what is left of Vietnam --
And think it is smart to gently caress with the United States of America.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

So the alt right doesn't really produce any art, huh? Like, the broader political left has a ridiculous amount of writers, visual artists, bands, directors, rappers, etc, but the right-wing equivalent seems to be poo poo liek We Love Our Cops and that Liefeld ripoff super hero. The dry boys were right about their media being not only reactionary but reactive--unsubtle pastiches of poo poo that other people have done better or at least earlier.

I guess they have Wyatt E Mann, various reddit/4 Chan bastardizers of Matt Furie and... deviantart Nazi diaper furries?

Not exactly Leni Riefenstal or Hugo Boss.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 28, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Would you count experimental industrial musicians who've been around for decades? I mean, probably not, but I mention them because Boyd Rice and Douglas Pierce were doing the same "You dumb idiot, I was using Nazi imagery ironically (although I am also actually a Nazi)" schtick before there was even Internet 1.0.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Early punk rock had a lot of crossover with fascist street gangs, and I think that's when "skinhead" went from a certain group of the working class to a synonym for "Nazi." Even Ian Curtis of was obsessed with Nazis and Nazi paraphernalia, and "Joy Division" came from the place in concentration camps where Nazis kept sex slaves.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Best book about Vietnam I've got my teeth into is Nam by Mark Baker, which is just a collection of anonymous first-hand accounts from people who were there, whether as servicemen or as medical staff or whatever. Grim reading.

Halloween Jack posted:

Would you count experimental industrial musicians who've been around for decades? I mean, probably not, but I mention them because Boyd Rice and Douglas Pierce were doing the same "You dumb idiot, I was using Nazi imagery ironically (although I am also actually a Nazi)" schtick before there was even Internet 1.0.

Hilariously, Boyd Rice was even into tiki bars for some reason, so that's another thing he has in common with the alt-right.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 28, 2017

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Halloween Jack posted:

God drat I hate those guys. Relitigating "no, it's not a joke, and even if it is it's never been a funny or interesting one" to edgy punks has been a constant conversation in my life

I'm speakong specifically of this new breed. Even with their ~*meme magic*~ the best they cam do is, like, a played-out meme or a sub-brony fan music video.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

art is for liberal faggots the alt-right is mostly STEM worshipping brain geniuses who could totally program the next windows if their moms didn't make them take their butt poop pills and all the colleges weren't exclusively letting in minorities

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

In the grim darkness of the future there is no Art, only Content, and the Alt Right has plenty of it.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

90-minute unedited youtube rants from warty-faced, greasy-haired white guys reclining in their gaming chairs is the future of media.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Veneration of the West, fetishization of anime: the alt-right dialectic

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
I remember reading about Pat Tillman when I was little living in Arizona. I actually read this very article. I remember it because it had a black striped cover. The thing that stood out to me was what one of his family members said of his death: "when you're dead, you're loving dead."

https://www.si.com/vault/2006/09/11/8386263/remember-his-name

Lurks Morington fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Spoeank posted:

I'm the double confed flag costume

Uhhhh... Huh huh huh... Come to Butthead