Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

marry ubi, gently caress capcom, kill EA

what even does EA make that anyone cares about on this forum. i dont mean in the world because obv battlefield, madden whatever. i mean the people in this thread

Dragon Age, Mass Effect are game series I care about. Bioware in general even as they make mistakes along that way. I don’t hate Need For Speed Rivals and dip in and out of that series for arcadey car racing (the latest with FMV acting was awful,and unfun) And I guess SSX though it’s been awhile since we got one of those. Mirror’s Edge for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You can take FIFA from my cold dead hands motherfuckers

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I picked up Mordheim City of the Damned for my Xbox and it’s pretty fun, it’s a more board-gamey xcom-like game with no strategy layer set in Warhammer. You have no choice but to iron man the game, and it’s balanced around brutal combat that’s fairly forgiving when your characters ‘die’ so that you can over time accrue both experience and casualties and veterans with long term injuries. You’re expected to lose some battles I think but still pull through.

Outside of the turn based combat that works nicely with the controller, it’s a clearly PC first interface and they really didn’t think through a lot of the choices. Most glaringly a lot of screens with choices have accept and cancel but you can’t A to accept and B to cancel. You have to select one or the other with dpad and then hit A either way. When it comes to cycling through menus, sometimes you’re using the bumpers, sometimes the triggers, sometimes Y, sometimes the stick and it’s never felt consistent so I keep backing out of a decision when I meant to toggle a box. This makes the warband management side of it really disorienting and confusing which makes that part more time consuming than I’d like.

But the fights are wonderfully tense. There is a scavenging mechanic which pushes you to spend more time on the map but a fight can end when you kill too many of the other team’s guys, which ends the scavenging opportunities. This pushes you to spread out your forces to search faster but everything else about the combat wants you to be close together so you can gang up on enemies quickly. It’s a nice risk reward challenge that I still haven’t mastered.

Having no choice but to iron man makes it easier to accept the bad rolls and luck. You get attached to your characters as they progress and it’s sad when they die and fun when they come back with injuries they survive but new idiosyncrasies. The company that made it is working on a Necromunda adaptation and I am super excited for that. If they can tighten up the interface, running a gang will be fun as heck I hope.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i only gently caress what i marry

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

a.lo posted:

i only gently caress what i marry
Enjoy your twenty years of being chained to parenthood. :marc:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as far as i care EA ruined dead space and mirrors edge, ruined criterion, ruined sim city, ruined popcap, EA can go gently caress themselves

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

EA also ruined Origin Systems and then taunted us by turning its ghastly cadaver into an online store.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i ended up finishing final fantasy adventure and i kinda wish i didn't cause the last chunk of that game is way worse than everything before it

also lmao that the entire game is spent with the one major leading woman getting kidnapped and the other major female character having to be murdered, and then at the end when you finally save the girl her mom just pops out of a waterfall and tells her she has to spend her life growing into a tree

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 27, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

her mom just pops out of a waterfall and tells her she has to spend her life growing into a tree

is this before or after she gives birth to the hero of secret of mana

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, Odin Sphere

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah, Odin Sphere

Still upset about it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hob released yesterday and seems pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr83isXHVSs

(it's on Steam as well)

Also Pinball FX 3 which imports (almost) all of FX 2 tables that you already own. Ruiner also looks pretty sick. Overall it was a pretty good game release day.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

as far as i care EA ruined dead space and mirrors edge, ruined criterion, ruined sim city, ruined popcap, EA can go gently caress themselves

I wanna say they ruined Westwood, but it's really probably the Warcraft 3 map editor that killed RTSs.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really, really liked Dead Space 1 and 2.

why do these big companies buy successful studios and then change everything about them and act shocked when their output changes for the worse. It's very confusing. Surely you'd buy them and have them acting as they were doing so but now you'll be taking in the profits whereas before you weren't. There must be way more to it than I have any idea about.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Why are ff7 and 9 now on ps4 but not :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

VideoGames posted:

why do these big companies buy successful studios and then change everything about them and act shocked when their output changes for the worse. It's very confusing. Surely you'd buy them and have them acting as they were doing so but now you'll be taking in the profits whereas before you weren't. There must be way more to it than I have any idea about.

market research

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space 3 is an awesome, terrible game. I love it and hate it in equal measure. If you look at it from the perspective of carrying on the legacy of 1 and 2, it is an awful sequel. But on its own, it is a horror/action shooter that leans heavier on the action than ever before and I can't fault it for that because the gameplay (while pretty easy) is a lot of fun.

Dead Space followed the Resident Evil curve to a T. Dead Space 1 is RE4, 2 is RE5, and 3 is RE6. The higher focus on low time-to-kill, player maneuverability, setpieces, and cinematic story (edit: And co-op!) drove it more toward what most people would consider a standard 'modern' action game and away from its chunky horror-ish roots. It's a completely different take on the same genre of video game and I think that's really fascinating because it's exactly the same with Resident Evil 5/6 being compared to 4: It just falls absolutely flat when you compare it to its lineage, but on its own it's pretty alright!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 27, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only thing I remember about DS3, other than than he opening half hour I played again recently, was fighting some boss that rolled at you in the snow and it being one of the worst bosses I've ever fought.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The boss fights in Dead Space 3 are not very good, with the exception of the one that is an upgraded version of one from the first game! :downs:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

VideoGames posted:

The way corporations work is at fault here. A board of directors decides to buy a successful studio based on its merits/sales numbers but then managers assigned to oversee the studio are there only to develop their personal careers within the corporation. If their idea of generating more profit (and getting a promotion or a nice new bulletpoint in the resume) is to change the series completely, make it play like CoD, set it in an open world or add any other new hip game thing they just heard about then they'll do it regardless of how good of an idea it is.

It doesn't help that most of the time none of those people are game developers. Some publishers are simply too large to logically control the entire process. There are companies where people are aware of all that and implement systems to battle the problem but it's a complex matter.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 27, 2017

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah, Odin Sphere

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

swims posted:

Is it too soon for GOTY chat?

Horizon
Hellblade
Resident Evil 7

There was a lot this year.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
jfc I haven't even touched hellblade, observer or resident evil 7 yet. There's enough 2017 games to last through 2019.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway, was Resident Evil 7 as good as people praised it at first or does some paint wear off by the time you get to the end?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palpek posted:

Anyway, was Resident Evil 7 as good as people praised it at first or does some paint wear off by the time you get to the end?

It's good but not great imo, the lack of enemy variety and the end turning into into a linear shooter hurt it a lot for me. Also I'm really starting to dislike the 'stalked by an invincible powerful enemy' thing that all horror games seem to have going lately, even if you do eventually get to shoot the poo poo out of them in RE7.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ah, ok, it sounds like it would still be fun to me so I might grab it at some point.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i ended up finishing final fantasy adventure and i kinda wish i didn't cause the last chunk of that game is way worse than everything before it

also lmao that the entire game is spent with the one major leading woman getting kidnapped and the other major female character having to be murdered, and then at the end when you finally save the girl her mom just pops out of a waterfall and tells her she has to spend her life growing into a tree

The best part is that in Sword of Mana right before the part you cut off there's like an hour or something of bad padded dialogue before that dungeon.

The White Dragon posted:

is this before or after she gives birth to the hero of secret of mana

Different people, I think.

Palpek posted:

There is definitely a turning point in that game where it shifts from one thing to another because they sort of ran out of stuff to do in the Baker's household but would have cut the game short otherwise and while it's not as good as that first part it's still generally interesting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RE7 in VR is really something else. Redneck Walter White smashing through a wall or a large monster reaching out and grabbing you are somewhat trite at this point but when it happens in a fully immersive 3D presentation it's proper scary again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RE7 is solid, but my big issue with it is that it doesn't do any one thing better than any other RE game. When it's trying to be like RE1/2 it's fun but not as good as those games, and when it turns into a shooter its fun but not as good as RE4/5/6. Also the story is kind of not great even by Resident Evil standards.

Also VideoGames your avatar is too scary for me now please change it to something less frightening.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I hope that really great/awful mini-game from MP2 where you have to pick a baddie and then hope the game takes pity on you that they win a race you have no control over makes it into the 3DS game.

Always bet on Boo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I wanna say they ruined Westwood, but it's really probably the Warcraft 3 map editor that killed RTSs.

Westwood had an incredibly versatile catalog. They popularized RTS' with Dune 2, revitalized the Dungeon Master style dungeon crawler with Lands of Lore/Eye of the Beholder, and made one of two good 90s 3D adventure games with Blade Runner which explored its concept better than the movie and I'd put above Grim Fandango in terms of quality.

EA ruined Westwood by turning them into the RTS company and ignoring their skills in basically every other genre.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raxivace posted:

RE7 is solid, but my big issue with it is that it doesn't do any one thing better than any other RE game. When it's trying to be like RE1/2 it's fun but not as good as those games, and when it turns into a shooter its fun but not as good as RE4/5/6. Also the story is kind of not great even by Resident Evil standards.

Also VideoGames your avatar is too scary for me now please change it to something less frightening.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Raxivace posted:

So long as you keep looking at it, it can’t get you.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

We Are All Captain Toad

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I bought a 4k 55 inch HDR TV (SAMSUNG UE55MU7000). Could not pass it up for €530, well I payed €630. but I am getting €100 back from Samsung. Cashback promotion. Need to wait on it
What games truly show of the quality on the PS4 Pro?
I played some Destiny 2 on it and it looks gorgeous, but I was wondering if there were other games optimized specifically for 4K HDR

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sefal posted:

I bought a 4k 55 inch HDR TV (SAMSUNG UE55MU7000). Could not pass it up for €530, well I payed €630. but I am getting €100 back from Samsung. Cashback promotion. Need to wait on it
What games truly show of the quality on the PS4 Pro?
I played some Destiny 2 on it and it looks gorgeous, but I was wondering if there were other games optimized specifically for 4K HDR

Uncharted and Horizon.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Uncharted and Horizon.

Awesome. I already have both and haven't finished them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

Westwood had an incredibly versatile catalog. They popularized RTS' with Dune 2, revitalized the Dungeon Master style dungeon crawler with Lands of Lore/Eye of the Beholder, and made one of two good 90s 3D adventure games with Blade Runner which explored its concept better than the movie and I'd put above Grim Fandango in terms of quality.

EA ruined Westwood by turning them into the RTS company and ignoring their skills in basically every other genre.

You left out Nox.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

al-azad posted:

Uncharted and Horizon.

Both Uncharteds, don't forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

You left out Nox.

Nox was rough for me to revisit but then I discovered the multiplayer totally-not-Gauntlet-nope-not-us mode and kicked myself for not playing it when it was new. That could've been a whole expansion pack but was released for free because the writing was on the wall for poor old Westwood.

• Locked thread