Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It does sound strange. All I can think of is there's an EMC vCenter plugin (VSI) that might have had the configuration goofed by the update. If you're not using the plugin then it won't be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
My policy is that if your phone or computer makes any beeping noises in the office, I will whistle that noise back at you. Seems to work.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just got an email from a director - notification of mandatory training. Have 5 weeks to complete it.

Except it's a forwarded email, and he received it 5 weeks ago. So we have half the amount of time necessary to complete what looks like a pretty extensive training series.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have one of THESE, and a phone set to silent.

I personally think smart watches fall somewhere between pointless and tacky, but my opinion isn't everyone's and I appreciate the suggestion.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

It does sound strange. All I can think of is there's an EMC vCenter plugin (VSI) that might have had the configuration goofed by the update. If you're not using the plugin then it won't be that.
It turns out there is some rogue perl process running on the SAN that's eating up a ton of CPU on one of the storage processors. I really loving hate EMC.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh nice the data plane and management one are the same thing, excellent

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Peachfart posted:

I personally think smart watches fall somewhere between pointless and tacky, but my opinion isn't everyone's and I appreciate the suggestion.
Why don't you want something that does a fraction of the things your phone does with 1/8th the viewing space? What's wrong with you?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Why don't you want something that does a fraction of the things your phone does with 1/8th the viewing space? What's wrong with you?

I love having another thing to charge each night.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The perl script looks like some stat-gathering thing, and the three of them are from September 25 and JULY 25. I can't find any documentation on "Container Framework controlled component UDoctor", so I guess I'm at the mercy of EMC's garbage support.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Peachfart posted:

It's not really a smart watch. It displays texts, SfB and other text when they come through, and vibrates very quietly when a call comes in while displaying the Caller ID. It also displays alarms and alerts from the calendar app on my phone.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Just set your ringtone to anything from Mario, or Tetris B, no one gets angry at random Tetris B.

Linus and Lucy, aka the song everyone thinks is the Charlie Brown theme.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's not really a smart watch. It displays texts, SfB and other text when they come through, and vibrates very quietly when a call comes in while displaying the Caller ID. It also displays alarms and alerts from the calendar app on my phone.
Know what other device does all of those things?

:smuggo:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My customer liaison is complaining that my report isn't picking up commitments. It is, but it's not showing anything for three codes. That's because despite the POs being from June, nobody put them in until three months later. I show him the screen with the date they were entered, but he thinks that can't be right because someone in another team attached documents for the PO in a completely different part of the system in June. Never mind the fact that people here are routinely months slow in getting stuff done because nobody has been watching them ever before. We've found the exact same thing happening in other projects. To be fair, he's probably having the customer complain about it being wrong, and they don't want to hear that it's because the data is bad and we can't fix it.

The good part is he's willing to deal with it on Thursday because we're both super busy tomorrow. So Thursday morning I check with my boss to make sure I'm reading it right, and his word is basically gold when it comes to this system.

AP here is so slow we've had services at sites shut off because they don't even put the request for a new vendor in until midway through the day before it needs to be paid. Our payments to CDW have been so far behind that they refuse to ship us anything on multiple occasions.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My customer liaison is complaining that my report isn't picking up commitments. It is, but it's not showing anything for three codes. That's because despite the POs being from June, nobody put them in until three months later. I show him the screen with the date they were entered, but he thinks that can't be right because someone in another team attached documents for the PO in a completely different part of the system in June. Never mind the fact that people here are routinely months slow in getting stuff done because nobody has been watching them ever before. We've found the exact same thing happening in other projects. To be fair, he's probably having the customer complain about it being wrong, and they don't want to hear that it's because the data is bad and we can't fix it.

The good part is he's willing to deal with it on Thursday because we're both super busy tomorrow. So Thursday morning I check with my boss to make sure I'm reading it right, and his word is basically gold when it comes to this system.

AP here is so slow we've had services at sites shut off because they don't even put the request for a new vendor in until midway through the day before it needs to be paid. Our payments to CDW have been so far behind that they refuse to ship us anything on multiple occasions.

These are the guys that are going to teach you time management?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Pinball Wizard posted:

lol

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Very minor and petty thing that annoys me: People who use double question marks after a question. To me it just makes the question come off as needlessly aggressive.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Collateral Damage posted:

Very minor and petty thing that annoys me: People who use double question marks after a question. To me it just makes the question come off as needlessly aggressive.

Someone I went to school with uses double full stop and THEN the punctuation he actually wants at the end of each sentence. So yes, you get an ellipsis whenever he actually means a full stop. I have no idea where he got this from, it certainly wasn't taught.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bad grammar, and especially bad punctuation can make most things sound bad or carry unintended intent (heh) . You're not even supposed to use two question marks, it's either one, three or a question mark plus an exclamation mark...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get irritated when people put a question mark after a not-question. E.g.

"Let me know if this works?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think the high-end ones that can work standalone for phone and navigation probably have a niche for workout and general outdoors-y stuff, but let's be honest; For the general consumer base it's just fulfilling that childhood desire for a sweet futuristic high-tech watch, and I am in no way immune to this myself :shepspends:.

My only question is why no-one's put a camera on the watchface for two-way video calls because it's so obvious! :rant:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A friend of mine has an Apple Watch and finds it really useful for being able to quickly see if an email/message is worth reading/needs a response without having to get his phone out, because he gets hundreds of messages a day. That's a niche use case though and really he needs a PA at this point, as well as better email rules and actually unsubscribing from marketing lists.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

poo poo that makes me sad: a co-worker (in a different location, so maybe not the right term) died in an avalanche in Switzerland http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=187892&sid=11

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

mllaneza posted:

Same as any OS release, needs to be tested with your orgs standard image. High Sierra has a new file system, so some kernel extensions break badly.

No, I get that. Why are users allowed to upgrade osX at all if the vetting isn't done? If there were not a way to control it, I'd understand, but if you have more than a handful of Macs in the environment...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Know what other device does all of those things?

:smuggo:

Not going to lie, having a wrist vibration that you can glance at is a lot handier than having to dig out and gently caress with your phone all the time, but YMMV with the volume of notifications you get. Also it's almost worth it for the "wrist tap when your exit's actually coming up" alone, but that may just be me and my bad hearing always missing what the GPS is actually saying.

I knew it was a geek toy when I got it but it's been useful enough that I don't regret it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A meeting was scheduled by the CEO for 3pm today.

I come in at 5 and leave at 2. He knows this. I clicked decline. :smug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Not going to lie, having a wrist vibration that you can glance at is a lot handier than having to dig out and gently caress with your phone all the time, but YMMV with the volume of notifications you get. Also it's almost worth it for the "wrist tap when your exit's actually coming up" alone, but that may just be me and my bad hearing always missing what the GPS is actually saying.

I knew it was a geek toy when I got it but it's been useful enough that I don't regret it.

Also sometimes you might just plain miss a text because you didn't feel the vibration of your phone and now you're getting frantically called because OH GOD ITS BEEN TEN MINUTES AND YOU MISSED THREE TEXTS ARE YOU DEAD?!!!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

Counterpoint - I won't answer a question that isn't a question.

Do you know what I mean

^ Hmm, what a weird statement.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Lol.

Too early to tell if you were joking, but my manager isn't like that, and a good portion of his job is unfucking the processes so they can find where people are screwing up. Judging by their desks I would say they're screwing up at the point where they have hundreds of sheets of paper in unmarked stacks right next to each other on their desk.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Lol.

Too early to tell if you were joking, but my manager isn't like that, and a good portion of his job is unfucking the processes so they can find where people are screwing up. Judging by their desks I would say they're screwing up at the point where they have hundreds of sheets of paper in unmarked stacks right next to each other on their desk.

Wasn't joking, I know that different departments can have very different cultures, but if upper management is content to let half the company gently caress up that badly it's a miracle you have a boss who isn't equally terrible.

To contribute: One of our devs posted this in Slack:

https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/357745/are-bad-programming-practices-typical-within-the-software-industry

"This popped up on Stack Overflow for me today. I think this is a great question, and the accepted answer is pretty close to perfect and matches my philosophy. I'm adding it to my cubicle wall and thought I would share."

Now I understand why we have some of the issues we have with our software.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Think about how dysfunctional the server closet or the network is in some of these posts where everyone posts a clown shoes emoji or whatever, and remember that this is the norm for development because the problem turns into the customer's problem, not your problem. Imagine if not only did you have to set it up, quickly, but you're never coming back AND your management doesn't want you to "waste time" "making thing pretty".

That's software engineering in a nutshell.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

A million years ago, before these forums were dead and gay, I questioned why mods were so militant about crushing AOLspeak/leetspeak here.

But now, every time I get a text with "u 2" or "wut u doin?" I thank Lowtax and the early mods for drawing that line, at least.

Spell it out fuckers. You come off as a shitheel otherwise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I understand why people abbreviated when text messages were the medium and they cost money. There's no reason for it now, just type the whole loving word.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MANime in the sheets posted:

No, I get that. Why are users allowed to upgrade osX at all if the vetting isn't done? If there were not a way to control it, I'd understand, but if you have more than a handful of Macs in the environment...

We have a handful of Macs here, all used by longtime but deeply ignorant Apple enthusiasts. All of them have admin rights due to being in the CEO's inner circle so I'm curious to see what goes wrong once they all start upgrading.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Owner comes down while we're all in the middle of this huge project that needs to launch on Monday...

:argh: Why can't I find any information on our outside sales people on the H: drive?

It's in ACT! so it wouldn't be on the H: drive.

:argh: Why the gently caress is it in there, everyone needs access to that.

Sales doesn't want to share that information, so they don't put it there. They put it in ACT! and only they can see it

:argh: Why the gently caress do they do that!

They've always done it that way. I don't decide where the data goes...

:argh: Well who does?!

Sales? I think I know who you can talk to if you don't like that...

Who's in charge of sales? The owners loving wife.

The two of them never agree on anything (mostly because he's 80-something and batshit crazy half the time) and they always end up pitting employees between them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I understand why people abbreviated when text messages were the medium and they cost money. There's no reason for it now, just type the whole loving word.

Especially now that we all have supercomputers in our pocket and they can easily correct abbreviations to their long form.

Well, usually. iOS still refuses to accept that gently caress is a word and will autocorrect to duck at every opportunity.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I managed to misspell that as thst a couple of times without noticing and now my keyboard thinks thst is a word, which is a pain.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fil5000 posted:

I managed to misspell that as thst a couple of times without noticing and now my keyboard thinks thst is a word, which is a pain.

Just force touch the suggested word and you'll have an option to remove it from autoprediction. Alternatively...

xzzy posted:

Especially now that we all have supercomputers in our pocket and they can easily correct abbreviations to their long form.

Well, usually. iOS still refuses to accept that gently caress is a word and will autocorrect to duck at every opportunity.

Under General-Keyboards-Text Replacement you have some fun options to deal with that particular issue. I have a bad habit, apparently, of typing thr instead of the (swipe keyboard), so I set up a text replacement and I was set. Or if you type thst instead of that, just set thst to autochange itself to that.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 27, 2017

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Iron Rose posted:

Just force touch the suggested word and you'll have an option to remove it from autoprediction. Alternatively...

Under General-Keyboards-Text Replacement you have some fun options to deal with that particular issue. I have a bad habit, apparently, of typing thr instead of the (swipe keyboard), so I set up a text replacement and I was set. Or if you type thst instead of that, just set thst to autochange itself to that.

What the duck? This is a thing? That's ducking amazing!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fil5000 posted:

They are just being presidential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Wasn't joking, I know that different departments can have very different cultures, but if upper management is content to let half the company gently caress up that badly it's a miracle you have a boss who isn't equally terrible.

To contribute: One of our devs posted this in Slack:

https://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/357745/are-bad-programming-practices-typical-within-the-software-industry

"This popped up on Stack Overflow for me today. I think this is a great question, and the accepted answer is pretty close to perfect and matches my philosophy. I'm adding it to my cubicle wall and thought I would share."

Without doxxing myself too much, there's a reason a half dozen senior management heads have rolled since my manager and I started (about a week apart).