Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/hacking-reloaded-books

Good books there guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tigren posted:

Did you complete your buzzword bingo yet?

Not yet but I noticed they started using "co-existence" instead of hybrid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the Apple one's about six years out of date, considering the red dot is dead now :rip:.

It could have also been applied to Disney back when Walt wasn't a corpsicle.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

tomapot posted:

I'm here and my feet are ready to fall off, this place is massive. Not sure how much walking I've done since my fitbit won't sync but between that and the stupid heat crossing over to the expo hall I'm shot. Thank goodness for the vendor dinners and booth people fawning all over me,trying to sell me poo poo.

You guys going to Universal Thursday night?
I'm grabbing Ignite videos off Youtube and honestly it seems like a pretty down year. Your perspective?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not as exciting as last year, but last year was all about the new 2016 server stuff. This year is heavy on azure and "coexistence". Oh and cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud azure azure azure

I'm Infra focused so not really paying attention to any O365 stuff.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

From an Infrastructure perspective the recent Azure updated are great. Can't wait until Accelerated Networking goes GA and 4TB Volumes can be backed up.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So far Ignite 2017 has been pretty good, normal assload of walking to get everywhere and bleh conference food (yet still better than Chicago).

They’ve been sneaking in big announcements at the end of random sections, it really feels like they’re still trying to figure out what exactly to put in the 2019 versions of onprem server products for those schlubs still using them.

Sessions have been decent (as normal, avoid vendor led ones), I’ve been able to hunt down senior level vendor people to answer all of our organizations burning questions (which is probably the most valuable part of these things).

Swag hounds are as crazy as ever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What kind of questions did you have and why the anti-vendor?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Some of the new AI stuff is neat/scary depending on your views.

My fav thing so far is probably project Honolulu

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waiting to hear if Office 2019 is Windows 10 only.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

And browser based ! Just like Bill Gates' nightmares about Netscape !

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreenNight posted:

I'd guess yes with win 7 hitting EOS early 2020, but maybe not

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

What kind of questions did you have and why the anti-vendor?

Lots of Microsoft product/roadmap questions, the fact that you can just go find the product managers and talk to them directly is great, because even as a gold partner we don’t always get that kind of access across the company.

Also can skip around lower level vendor people. Dell for example only apparently has 4 people in the company that can talk to you about sizing/quoting AzureStack, and our dumb rep couldn’t figure out who they were. When I swung by the Dell booth, 3 of the 4 were there (including the architect of the Dell solution).

Vendor led chats seem to be a coin flip of being just a thinly veiled sales pitch, depending on the topic, but can sometimes be good.

GreenNight posted:

Assuming it comes out in 2018, I’d be surprised if they drop Windows 7 support, but maybe.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I need to get on board with this new poo poo... I've been slacking the last couple years

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I'm a SharePoint on-prem, O365 guy so this has been a huge conference for me. SPO lists and libraries now supporting 30 million items is a major enhancement. New server versions of Windows/SQL/SharePoint announcement is helping me roadmap the next couple years. Had a great dinner last night at Ocean Prime networking with some other enterprise customers. Oh, and I won a $1,000 gift card at a booth.

Edit:

Maneki Neko posted:

Lots of Microsoft product/roadmap questions, the fact that you can just go find the product managers and talk to them directly is great, because even as a gold partner we don’t always get that kind of access across the company.

This, besides the fact they have the cushy carpet being able to have direct access to product managers without having to go schedule meetings or wait for our account manager is nice.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 27, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My team's manager has said the word "operationalize" in an actual sentence more than three times during this meeting. I just thought that was a word Weird Al made up off the top of his head for his Mission Statement song.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

tomapot posted:

Oh, and I won a $1,000 gift card at a booth.

Good towards any Buffalo purchase.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

Good towards any Buffalo purchase.

All you Ignite people are hyping me for Velocity

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DizzyBum posted:

My team's manager has said the word "operationalize" in an actual sentence more than three times during this meeting. I just thought that was a word Weird Al made up off the top of his head for his Mission Statement song.

I've mostly heard it used to mean "make this dumb idea work in practice".

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I've mostly heard it used to mean "make this dumb idea work in practice".

I've used it similarly myself :ohdear: To mean "ok let's take this lovely proof of concept we've built and make it production ready with backups and monitoring and HA and documentation and stuff"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Docjowles posted:

I've used it similarly myself :ohdear: To mean "ok let's take this lovely proof of concept we've built and make it production ready with backups and monitoring and HA and documentation and stuff"

"operationalize" is a dumb buzzword and you should feel a massive amount of intellectual shame for using it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I used the word "serialize" once in reference to adding serial numbers to database records and was mocked for sounding Canadian.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dick Trauma posted:

I used the word "serialize" once in reference to adding serial numbers to database records and was mocked for sounding Canadian.

unless you added "aboot it eh" to the end of that, I'm not sure what's Canadian about that word

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CLAM DOWN posted:

"operationalize" is a dumb buzzword and you should feel a massive amount of intellectual shame for using it

It's a word that's existed in its current meaning for like 40 years and is used across a lot of different disciplines and professions, so no?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DizzyBum posted:

I think at that point you are required to finish your drink.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

big money big clit posted:

It's a word that's existed in its current meaning for like 40 years and is used across a lot of different disciplines and professions, so no?

Sorry that you can't see it, but it's a really dumb word.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

unless you added "aboot it eh" to the end of that, I'm not sure what's Canadian about that word

I believe I enunciated the individual syllables more than they were comfortable with. :canada:

I've existed in my current meaning for 50 years and have never heard it. That said it is weird and bad and I will not only never use it I will inwardly mock those that do.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
There are no dumb words, only dumb people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dick Trauma posted:

I believe I enunciated the individual syllables more than they were comfortable with. :canada:

Take a shot of real maple syrup and your conversion is complete, welcome.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Take a shot of real maple syrup and your conversion is complete, welcome.

Way ahead of you, my Canadian friend...

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“CLAM DOWN”" post="“476819983”"]
Sorry that you can’t see it, but it’s a really dumb word.
[/quote]

I know you're perpetually mad that the only people who can afford to live in your city are Chinese billionaires and the Saudi Royal family but getting mad at words won't fix that.

[quote="“Dick Trauma”" post="“476819987”"]
I’ve existed in my current meaning for 50 years and have never heard it. That said it is weird and bad and I will not only never use it I will inwardly mock those that do.
[/quote]

I mean, I've never heard of anyone ending up in the weird rear end hosed jobs you perpetually land in but I believe you exist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

I know you're perpetually mad that the only people who can afford to live in your city are Chinese billionaires and the Saudi Royal family but getting mad at words won't fix that.

You forgot multimillionaire hockey players and movie stars like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone gone through their company's Blind?

Oh boy...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

You forgot multimillionaire hockey players and movie stars like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Multimillionaires that are taxed at 60% and probably have severe CTE after their careers are over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Vargatron posted:

Multimillionaires that are taxed at 60% and probably have severe CTE after their careers are over.

yeah I feel soooo bad for them!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I mean, I've never heard of anyone ending up in the weird rear end hosed jobs you perpetually land in but I believe you exist.

This is more recognition than I get from my boss. :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

This is more recognition than I get from my boss. :allears:

:perfect:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreenNight posted:

While they dropped XP and Vista support already in Office 2013, I'd be surprised if Office 2019 didn't support at least Windows 8.1, since 8.1 is to be supported until 2023.

Windows 7 support might be dead though, since Office 2013 support dropped while XP and Vista was still supported but not long for the world.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tomapot posted:

Not yet but I noticed they started using "co-existence" instead of hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

No ring