Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just got Titan in my roulette.

What kills me is that the guy said this like three solid minutes after he fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So does anyone know how large the radiuses for say and yell are? Tried googling around but couldn't find anything concrete.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm nearing the end of Stormblood. It's like all my nameDIE DIE DIEs have come at once. :dance:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Finally cleared V3 tonight! As we begin to wipe to Exdeath, i occurs to me that i'm very lucky to be a ranged DPS in this current batch of content because i can just stand where i want and get all my damage through no problem. Have the other raids been so melee unfriendly as this? It seems melee have to really work for the DPS with positionals in at least 3 out of 4 of these fights

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
miasma ii is already better than ruin ii single-target if you aren't clipping the dot and can spare the mana, though. a buff to it would be a minor buff to their single-target damage in practical situtations. SCH's kind of in a weird place because they're actually insanely good, but this raid tier doesn't really show them at their best--o3s and o4s have no tankbusters where are remotely hard to heal through (compare to punishing heat), but way higher aoe healing checks (almagest is nastier than even holy bleed imo, and most groups only see one holy bleed).

if sch gets their healing ability buffed and we're back to tankbuster -> auto -> cleave shenanigans in the next patch cycle we'll probably be back to screaming about how sch is mandatory based on excog alone.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Yeah they should have probably made miasma 2 a cast spell instead of an instant because of that. You can tell it was really tacked on with little thought. Really wish they'd tack something like that on for AST for our lack of AoE before 52... I just want something that lets me futz with my cards without clipping. Why doesn't Lightspeed have the same cooldown as Sleeve Draw. What was their plan...

Anyway, I'm not really convinced any amount of damage will make a healer mandatory at this point. It makes them mandatory maybe for the first few weeks, but then the super into it people focus more on DPS/speed, and the more laid back groups just play what they like and then there's everything in between.

Then again, that won't mean people will stop screaming about a job being too strong.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Bane + shadow flare + miasma spam is sickening amounts of aoe dps and you heal with lustrates/excog anyway because the removal of cleric stance made lustrate stupidly powerful in big pulls again. Shadow flare and miasma don't have any damage falloff either, so as the amount of enemies goes up you should quickly catch up to holy spam, as long as your tank is pushing some cooldowns.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah, but holy may as well read "Additional Effect: the tank gains a free use of Hallowed Ground every single pull"

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Does this games abilities get more varied later in game? I'm only a level 32 white mage but I'm tired of just casting aero and stone at everything

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

creatine posted:

Does this games abilities get more varied later in game? I'm only a level 32 white mage but I'm tired of just casting aero and stone at everything

You chose the simplest healer, and healer DPS is pretty simple to begin with. Actual DPS classes have varied and interesting rotations. The good news is that you get holy at 45? which is the best spell in the game, but it just means you cast it instead of aero and stone on aoe pulls.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, healer dps rotations have never been extremely complicated: you'll get Bigger Aero, Bigger Stone, and Holy (damages and stuns everything around you, totally disgusting). Most of what White Mage gives you is ways to get your healing done faster and more efficiently: heal-over-time effects that can keep ticking during downtime in a fight, and instant-cast heals that let you keep throwing Bigger Aero and Bigger Stone around instead of wasting time casting Cure 2.

The average Pro Healer Manuever is something like "Well, I know the boss won't use an AoE attack again anytime soon, so I can wait for Assize to come off cooldown, so i don't have to cast Medica. Plus, the tank's in no danger of dying before I get one of my instant heals back. I can throw another rock instead of healing, even though the party is at half HP!"

Whether you find this interesting or not depends on your particular flavor of MMO 'tism.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah, but holy may as well read "Additional Effect: the tank gains a free use of Hallowed Ground every single pull"

Yeah, holy is still the better skill, obviously, but it's getting close. Another 15s reduction on aetherflow cooldown next expansion and I'll probably compete just fine :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Truga posted:

Yeah, holy is still the better skill, obviously, but it's getting close. Another 15s reduction on aetherflow cooldown next expansion and I'll probably compete just fine :v:

Just in time for them to make lilies reduce MP costs on holy :unsmigghh:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

creatine posted:

Yes and no: 70 WHMs have the most healer-dps abilities in the game at four (not counting cooldowns like chain stratagem holy poo poo omg). You'll continue to upgrade stone as you level, then you'll get an AOE version of aero that stacks with the single target version, and then Holy, which is King poo poo of healer nukes and one of the coolest spells in the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As others have said though, even at 70, healer dps rotations are extremely basic, and have just got more so in the latest expansion (pruning abilities, removing stance dancing). Healer dps skills are never going to get particularly engaging, but all the dps and tank classes get fairly involved by the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that it may not be efficient but Flare->Flare->Flare->Flare->Flare->Foul is the funniest loving thing to do in the game

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
The easiest way I found to get a comm as NIN is to drop smoke screen on a BLM in exdr so they can go ham on boss pulls. Open with foul? Sure why not go nuts.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My first dungeon run through with my Conjurer was a disaster due to being teamed with complete idiots, but for my second attempt I had a competent group and we made it through without any close calls. I moved on immediately to the second "starter" dungeon and that one was a bit more challenging but it was another good group with a smart tank. A couple of times I could see I was on the verge of pulling aggro and it was easy to cool off for a moment and let the tank scoop all the enemies back up. Between the enemies list and those arcing aggro arrows it's easy to be aware of what's happening, and I have that knockback skill now to shoo away hostiles.

I'm at L20 but I guess I still need to forge through a few more main quests before I can unlock retainers and joining an FC.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Finally cleared V3 tonight! As we begin to wipe to Exdeath, i occurs to me that i'm very lucky to be a ranged DPS in this current batch of content because i can just stand where i want and get all my damage through no problem. Have the other raids been so melee unfriendly as this? It seems melee have to really work for the DPS with positionals in at least 3 out of 4 of these fights

Grats on beating Haley!

Maximizing melee dps in a lot of raids comes down to memorizing both the timing of enemy attacks and your own rotation so that you know where to do exactly as much damage as possible before you have to move. For example I pretty much know exactly what button I'll be pushing and where I'm standing at any given moment during the entire first phase of O4S. Other than black holes because they hate that I want to stab their boss.

To a large extent this applies to ranged dps too, though they don't generally need to worry about moving quite as much.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dick Trauma posted:

My first dungeon run through with my Conjurer was a disaster due to being teamed with complete idiots, but for my second attempt I had a competent group and we made it through without any close calls. I moved on immediately to the second "starter" dungeon and that one was a bit more challenging but it was another good group with a smart tank. A couple of times I could see I was on the verge of pulling aggro and it was easy to cool off for a moment and let the tank scoop all the enemies back up. Between the enemies list and those arcing aggro arrows it's easy to be aware of what's happening, and I have that knockback skill now to shoo away hostiles.

I'm at L20 but I guess I still need to forge through a few more main quests before I can unlock retainers and joining an FC.

Just join an FC and stop making a production out of it. People will help you out and if you play a DPS class, getting a someone in the FC to tank queue with you is Playing Final Fantasy 14 The Right Way.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Phone posted:

Just join an FC and stop making a production out of it. People will help you out and if you play a DPS class, getting a someone in the FC to tank queue with you is Playing Final Fantasy 14 The Right Way.

The FC entry on my Social menu is still grayed out, so I assumed it was level or quest locked. I'm not trying to be difficult, I thought the option wasn't available to me yet.

VVV Got it. Thank you.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 27, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah you can go to any of the FC houses and join one right now, provided you aren't on the trial. You might have had free companies and grand companies mixed up, GCs are locked until 20

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I'm finally all 310 except for one ring, which I can't find a non-crafted alternative for. Is the Duty Finder suitable for Lakshmi/Susano EX and Deltascape 1.0 or should I start trawling the Party Finder?

I melded my gear with V's since I had a glut of them, I can't really afford to use VI's, and a crafted ring is out of the question since it's like 1/3rd of my gil to get one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bolow posted:

So I'm finally all 310 except for one ring, which I can't find a non-crafted alternative for. Is the Duty Finder suitable for Lakshmi/Susano EX and Deltascape 1.0 or should I start trawling the Party Finder?

I melded my gear with V's since I had a glut of them, I can't really afford to use VI's, and a crafted ring is out of the question since it's like 1/3rd of my gil to get one.

Do party finder. Lakshmi EX is so easy that you should be able to join a party and finish without trouble.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

The FC entry on my Social menu is still grayed out, so I assumed it was level or quest locked. I'm not trying to be difficult, I thought the option wasn't available to me yet.

God bless FF14's UI design. It's grayed out because the FC menu entry is for accessing the menu options related to the Free Company you've joined, not because you haven't unlocked it. That there's nothing telling you that you can go join a FC the moment you stop being on the free trial is one of those little omissions that will probably never get fixed.

For the record, there's a few ways to do so, but walking right up to the FC's house and submitting an application there is easily the most stylish way to do so.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Deltascape 1-4 is so easy I don't think you can do it any way except the duty finder cause no one is going to tryhard enough to make real parties.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
They really should give conjurers access to Lucid Dreaming at level 12, instead of Break, which basically nobody uses outside of solo healing gimmicks at max level.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why does Break even exist?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Theoretically it is useful for solo content by allowing easier control and kiting. In actuality nobody is going to use that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Just in case they want to do a "slimes move towards the middle of the arena and explode when they get there" mechanic again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Some coil and Alex turns require you to slow an add and healers could previously do that leaving the dps to max burs damage.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe it is for if you ever find a time machine that takes you back to <4.0 pvp.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Break has no mana cost. If you're solo healing O4S you don't have a whole hell of a lot of spare mana to go around, and it's better than sitting on your butt autoattacking.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I have small question about macros.

I'm using this

quote:

/micon "Dragon Sight"
/ac "Dragon Sight" <mo>

Now this works perfectly fine when I'm just doing poo poo out in the world and I throw it on my chocobo, however it just seemed to stop working completely while doing my expert roulette today. It worked on the first wave of trash but would not work at all for any of the other bosses. I'd like to get it sorted before I start loving about in the Deltascape and Primal EX's

P.S. Ranged DPS stop standing in goddamn Africa and let me give you my eye :negative:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
personally I have one of my vertical hotbars next to the party list and have a few different macros for dragon sight <2>-<8>. If you're already swinging the mouse around, it's just as fast to go click the icon next to the person's name.

Also tanks get eyes from me a lot of the time because they're the only people who will stay in range in four man groups most of the time.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It didn't work because macros are a terrible way to use skills in this game. When you use a normal skill on your hotbar, it queues it up server side to activate as soon as your animations/gcd allow it. You can even queue skills up around a second before you should be able to use it, allowing you to perform a stream of uninterrupted skills, abilities, spells, whatever. If you use a macro, it is based on chat input and does not queue the skill. What that means is if your client doesn't think you should be able to use the skill at that moment, it won't send it to the server, resulting in the skill not being used. You have to personally wait for the server to say your character is in the right state to use whatever skill or ogcd ability you want to use, then wait for the server to send an update for your client that you are ready to use it, then press the macro button and not press anything else while the macro runs. The actual delay varies based on your ping, which will change a lot based on your location and the time of day, and maybe even vary a lot second by second.

Macros are not reliable, and you should never use them on anything related to using a skill in combat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Eh, macros for GCDs are a problem. Macros for oGCDs are just fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I asked this before but as I get further on I'm just like... Paladin is the first class I've played where I just can't find a comfortable setup for it. Does anyone have any advice of skills I can minimize or put on unimportant buttons? I feel like I literally don't have enough hotkeys which is weird because I have't had that problem with any other class, even Summoner/Sch with my pet skills on my hot bar.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eh, macros for GCDs are a problem. Macros for oGCDs are just fine.

Just don't try to double weave them if you don't want crazy clipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bolow posted:

P.S. Ranged DPS stop standing in goddamn Africa so my loving heals will hit you :negative:

:argh: