Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
yeah the underlying conceits of most fantasy stories being awkwardly fascist-y if subjected to even the slightest scrutiny is one of those things that was groundbreaking as all hell at the time Shadowrun first came out.

a discussion which has since come full circle to "yup, sure are, but sometimes your game is about getting to kill some orcs and not trying to unravel the socioeconomic parameters of oppression that lead to the orcs attacking your beloved peasant village in the first place"

leaving Shadowrun's "well, sure, Orks and Trolls are naturally dumber, uglier, and better suited to manual labor than humans, but the racism against them is still wrong and bad" angle in kind of, how you say, an awkward design space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Can you really claim "self defence" when you only needed to defend yourself because you broke into a high security building and threatened the guards? At that point it's them claiming self defence, not you.

Look, chummer, it's shades of gray

Boogle posted:

Change "goblin" to "black" or "jew".

:thunk:

The gently caress is this?

Ze Pollack posted:

leaving Shadowrun's "well, sure, Orks and Trolls are naturally dumber, uglier, and better suited to manual labor than humans, but the racism against them is still wrong and bad" angle in kind of, how you say, an awkward design space

Yeah, Shadowrun fluff tries to tell you that there's nothing stopping trolls or orks from being smart or charming and it's just racism.

And then...they mechanically have lower max values for smarts and charm.

Skypie fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 27, 2017

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Skypie posted:

Yeah, Shadowrun fluff tries to tell you that there's nothing stopping trolls or orks from being smart or charming and it's just racism.

And then...they mechanically have lower max values for smarts and charm.

I think the notion here is that, on a population scale, the percentage of people who reach even one of their racial caps is essentially zero. As far as society at large goes, it doesn't matter that trolls can't have more than 5 Intelligence when even the vast majority of plain-jane humans are gonna have 3 or less. In that optic, basing a top-down, oppressive, systematically racist perception of trolls being kinda dumb on the relative performances of the very most able, most gifted individuals of their respective subspecies doesn't make any sense. In other words, there's no legitimate reason for your average human shlub to believe the troll flipping his burger at the local Stuffer Shack is any less smart than he is, because odds are they're probably both at a 2.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Skypie posted:

I'd always been under the impression that the runner who takes wetwork jobs is kinda rare. Like, yeah, they'll kill people in self defense or who get in the way, but the person who will pick up an out right assassination isn't your "average" runner.

They're not good guys though, for sure.

Yeah, I wasn't even talking about them. I was talking about your general runners. They commit self defense pre-meditated murder all the time, and it IS pre-meditated when you purposely barge into property that isn't yours with the intent of violence or even just the possibility of violence.

Any time a runner kills somebody on the job while trespassing on somebody else property, it is by the definition of the US (and by extension probably USCA) law 1st degree murder. This is actually not up for debate. It just is.

On a semi-related note, anybody here ever play Alpha Protocol? One of my GMs once instated the "orphans created" counter from that game for our game, partially as a joke but it did make us realize that we were, for all intents and purposes, bad guys and that runners that try to think otherwise are delusional.

As for the hooder groups, having played, gm'ed, and read the books/fluff/even the novels for the game, I can't help but feel those groups are missing the point of Shadowrun. But hey, that's just me. Whatever floats your boat. :downs:

And I'd imagine they still count as murderers under the law. Hooder shadowrunners aren't that much moral then your average runner, it's a very fine line.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 27, 2017

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mauman posted:

EXACTLY.

A Shadowrunner by definition is not a "good guy". Usually you're villain protagonists. At best you're a very dark anti-hero.

Dragonfall does a great job driving this home first thing. The very first job available is "We sent another team of Shadowrunners in on a job, they failed and the only survivor got captured. Go put a bullet between his eyes before he talks." And yeah, that's the job. No ambiguity, no bullshit. Go murder this guy who would have been you if you had some bad luck.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So, I'm on my third (or is it my fourth) replay of Dead Man's Switch, and this time I've decided to do it like the OP, with a decker-rigger (but not an elf, because I dislike elves).

Is it just me, or is it really over-powered? I miss having my pistol and my rifle, but wow, having a pair of murder-bots roaming the map while my character is hiding in a corner is really powerful. I wonder if I should re-play Dragonfall that way?

No. No-no-no. I like shooting things in the face too much to give it up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Rigging is probably at its most busted in DMS, but it's not like it's bad in DF. In HK I don't ever bother because you get a really good rigger buddy.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

painedforever posted:

So, I'm on my third (or is it my fourth) replay of Dead Man's Switch, and this time I've decided to do it like the OP, with a decker-rigger (but not an elf, because I dislike elves).

Is it just me, or is it really over-powered? I miss having my pistol and my rifle, but wow, having a pair of murder-bots roaming the map while my character is hiding in a corner is really powerful. I wonder if I should re-play Dragonfall that way?

No. No-no-no. I like shooting things in the face too much to give it up.

What difficulty are you playing on? I found that drones (especially in DMS) had severe scaling issues on hard and above. Also in Dragonfall to a lesser extent, but not in HK (hooooollllllleeeee poo poo the drones in that game are freaking good).

Note - I did a rigger/decker playthrough my first time on normal and I still thought that my drones had accuracy issues with max drone skill and int.

Psion posted:

Rigging is probably at its most busted in DMS, but it's not like it's bad in DF. In HK I don't ever bother because you get a really good rigger buddy.

I'm of the exact opposite mindset :downs:

The drones you can use (and you can finally use multiples of the same one) make your rigger buddy look downright pathetic. Also Rigger buddy suffers from not getting enough points in his rigging ability, which as you know is especially freaking important for riggers (and extremely frustrating he doesn't get to the magical 4 ap mark, or even to the S class drones mark).

The correct answer is to take them both...GO GO DRONE ARMY!!!!

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 27, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

mauman posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? I found that drones (especially in DMS) had severe scaling issues on hard and above. Also in Dragonfall to a lesser extent, but not in HK (hooooollllllleeeee poo poo the drones in that game are freaking good).

Note - I did a rigger/decker playthrough my first time on normal and I still thought that my drones had accuracy issues with max drone skill and int.

Normal. Accuracy is pretty bad, that's true. I just went through the graveyard and the bloody Robo-Doc wouldn't get better than 60% accuracy even if it was standing in someone's armpit. Still, it managed to get a lot of hits in when the bad guys were bunched up.

I've never had a high-strength guy, so grenades have not been my go-to weapon. Splash damage is nice when you can get it, but I'd rather just shoot people in the face. It's a thing, y'know? I'm playing a game, ergo, I'm shooting people in the face. Happens in Dragon Age, too.

"Hmm, I really want to play a character that can wear that awesome-looking massive armor."

"Okay, but will he be able to shoot people in the face?"

"Well, wearing massive armor makes archery less effective..."

"Never! Light armor it is! Head-shooty-time!"

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

That's why I never played a drone guy in DMS again, and could barely tolerate it in DF.

HK restored my faith in Drones.....oh yessssss :getin:

Poil posted:

You could just not accept any job that involves wetwork or taking a van out into the barrens to grab children. It shouldn't be any problem to specialize in things like body guarding or transporting and spending your non-running time helping people.

I'd imagine that anything involving children would qualify for my "low expectations of morality" as the old cliche of "children are innocent/special" is alive and well, even in the bleak dark world of Shadowrun. The other stuff sounds like things that could be covered by legitimate forces.

As in, a (sinless) runner wouldn't get that kind of work. Ever*.

*unless it potentially involved murder-time or worse. Or smuggling in the case of transporting. But once again, anybody you killed while transporting illegal goods would put in the pile with the rest of the scum.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 27, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ze Pollack posted:

k.

Let's imagine that tomorrow we get solid scientific evidence that The Bell Curve, or any of a 1000 others "hey, maybe there's a racial component to intelligence, eh? Just asking questions here, nothin' bigoted about asking questions" studies actually has a point. Major, minor, whatever, there's a quantifiable and inherent difference.

Does that mean that racism becomes the word of the day? I mean, that's what the people publishing these studies want, obviously, but the people who are currently anti-racist.

mauman posted:

As for the hooder groups
What are those?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 27, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Xander77 posted:

What are those?
It's in-universe slang.

It's a play on Robin Hood. Hoods are runners who believe they have superior morality, give to the poor, try to keep away from certain forms of work, or certain corps, those who work to "fight the man", etc....

Generally regarded as hypocrites, unreliable, self-righteous, dangerous, and/or pathetic by most runners in-universe.

That isn't to say that most runners don't have one of those things going for them, but it's usually grounded in pragmatism or personal reasons. Like not wanting to work for Saeder-Krupp because the owner of said company popularized the saying "never deal with a dragon".

And I'm not saying that normal runners aren't any of those negative things either. Plenty of rear end in a top hat runners out there, they just tend to be more self-aware of what they are.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 27, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

painedforever posted:

I've never had a high-strength guy, so grenades have not been my go-to weapon.
It's a constant disappointment to me that none of the games I like give me enough grenades to make them my primary weapon. I just want to be throwing grenades at everyone all the time, is that so much to ask?

Xander77 posted:

k.

Let's imagine that tomorrow we get solid scientific evidence that The Bell Curve, or any of a 1000 others "hey, maybe there's a racial component to intelligence, eh? Just asking questions here, nothin' bigoted about asking questions" studies actually has a point. Major, minor, whatever, there's a quantifiable and inherent difference.

Does that mean that racism becomes the word of the day? I mean, that's what the people publhsing these studies want, obviously, but the people who are currently anti-racist.
Well, compare it to physical strength differences in men and women. It's undeniably true that, on average, men are stronger than women. You don't get people saying "there's no evidence that men are any stronger than women" and being taken seriously. On average, humans are smarter than trolls. That's a fact. But just as it's true in the real world that some women are much, much stronger than the vast majority of men, it could equally be true that some trolls are much, much smarter than the majority of humans. And so in both cases discrimination on the basis of those averages is dumb and bad. But you can't say "there's no evidence that trolls are dumber than anyone else" right next to the place where it says trolls get -2 to intelligence and have the lowest cap of any race. Discrimination against trolls on the basis that "they're all idiots" would be wrong, and you don't need to pretend that their stat penalties don't exist to get to that conclusion.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Tiggum posted:

Well, compare it to physical strength differences in men and women. It's undeniably true that, on average, men are stronger than women. You don't get people saying "there's no evidence that men are any stronger than women" and being taken seriously. On average, humans are smarter than trolls. That's a fact. But just as it's true in the real world that some women are much, much stronger than the vast majority of men, it could equally be true that some trolls are much, much smarter than the majority of humans. And so in both cases discrimination on the basis of those averages is dumb and bad. But you can't say "there's no evidence that trolls are dumber than anyone else" right next to the place where it says trolls get -2 to intelligence and have the lowest cap of any race. Discrimination against trolls on the basis that "they're all idiots" would be wrong, and you don't need to pretend that their stat penalties don't exist to get to that conclusion.

1st edition D&D had strength penalties for female characters. I don't think that worked out very well.

Separation of fluff vs mechanics? Okay, so the rules have discrimination built-in, but it's to differentiate between races, give people reasons to try different races for different types of characters.

Considering the setting, I'd think that Trolls (and Orcs) getting lower caps to Intelligence would be due to discrimination, maybe? People look at Trolls and Orcs, think they're dumb and ugly, and don't give them quite as much opportunity to grow intellectually. Poncy elves get higher charisma (because everyone f---ing loves elves), but Orks and Trolls get a penalty because of how scary they look.

I mean, it's a theory.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

painedforever posted:

1st edition D&D had strength penalties for female characters. I don't think that worked out very well.

Separation of fluff vs mechanics? Okay, so the rules have discrimination built-in, but it's to differentiate between races, give people reasons to try different races for different types of characters.

Considering the setting, I'd think that Trolls (and Orcs) getting lower caps to Intelligence would be due to discrimination, maybe? People look at Trolls and Orcs, think they're dumb and ugly, and don't give them quite as much opportunity to grow intellectually. Poncy elves get higher charisma (because everyone f---ing loves elves), but Orks and Trolls get a penalty because of how scary they look.

I mean, it's a theory.

1e d&d had a limit of 18/50 for strength, not a penalty. so the strongest man had a couple of additional strength slots on the strongest woman. if everyone rolled stats properly instead of cheating like Steve (goddammit Steve) then it was some tiny proportion of characters that would be affected.

idk, its as nonsensical as any other bit of gygaxian quasi realism but not intrinsically offensive.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

sebmojo posted:

1e d&d had a limit of 18/50 for strength, not a penalty. so the strongest man had a couple of additional strength slots on the strongest woman. if everyone rolled stats properly instead of cheating like Steve (goddammit Steve) then it was some tiny proportion of characters that would be affected.

idk, its as nonsensical as any other bit of gygaxian quasi realism but not intrinsically offensive.

For those not mathematically inclined, using standard 3d6 rolling this restriction would affect one in 432 characters. On average, 430 of them would've rolled below 18 and one would've naturally gotten 18/50 or less. Given the natural variance in human strength, this is neither unreasonable nor unrealistic. Compared to women's records, men's Olympic weightlifting records are about 40% higher, and unequipped powerlifting records are about 50% higher for deadlift, 60% higher for bench press and 70% higher for squat.

Of course, the natural variations of humanity also never meet dragons, fight against hordes of monsters, or cast bolts of fire using eldritch powers, so a certain degree of departure from strict realism should certainly be accepted to make for a more interesting game. In that respect I am glad that there don't seem to be gender differences anymore for most stats - I don't know if drow are still an exception, but they're not human anyway.

e: it's "drow", not "drop"

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 27, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

mauman posted:

(and extremely frustrating he doesn't get to the magical 4 ap mark, or even to the S class drones mark).

yeah, but overclock though. Still, interesting to know drones got improved in HK, maybe I'll try them out next time when I'm not making ruin of my enemies with the autoloader arm and, uh, well you can probably guess which two long guns I'm using during the campaign and epilogue :v:

the reason I said rigging was busted in DMS is because the game showers you with both nuyen to buy drones and karma to boost your stats; DF and HK are tighter on both of those. But I believe you that HK rigging can get really good.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 27, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The earlier stuff about accuracy with drones made me decide to try assault rifles only... but in Dragonfall.

Y'know the opening mission? With all of the guys, and you're basically supposed to hold out and then retreat? Everyone died to a hail of bullets to the face, thanks to a human with 4 Quickness, 4 Ranged Combat and 4 to Assault Rifles. One round kills for practically everyone, except for that one guy, who took two rounds, and then retreated.

I think I'll give Dragonfall another shot, but this time, I'm going to go easy on the decking and try and qualify for a minigun.

Is there a minigun in Dead Man's Switch? Or smartlink weapons? I don't remember seeing any, but maybe I missed them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

No minigun in sms. I think smartlink weapons are in?

That said the minigun is great and amazing to play with.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Xander77 posted:

k.

Does that mean that racism becomes the word of the day? I mean, that's what the people publishing these studies want, obviously, but the people who are currently anti-racist.

a highly nuanced discussion! meanwhile, in the tabletop/video game universe shadowrun, the two metatypes coded as a mashup of black and latinx are inherently better suited for manual labor than any cognitive or social pursuits.

this is, at best, a bit of a collar-tug moment.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

But it needs 7 strength! 7! That's 2+3+4+5+6+7 karma! Or 20 karma and strength increasing duds. Still. Strength has always been my dump stat.

So, I'll need to start out as a melee monster with a ton of grenades, and then pick up the 3 Quickness and Ranged once someone starts selling the minigun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Probably ought to go the other way around. The minigun is a late mid/endgame weapon. Better to be good early on and pick up the side requisite later.

The karma cost isnt too horrible if you space out picking up a point here and there either. I had no problems making a cybered up mini gun deckers in the games where I could do that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Remind me, are there any good trenchcoat outfits in DF? Because the idea of making a huge trenchcoat-wearing minigun-wielding runner is basically so close to Syndicate agents, I'm surprised this idea hasn't occurred to me before now.

I mean of course Syndicate and Shadowrun draw from the same well, so it's arguably also "literally making a standard minigun wielding runner" as much as it is a Syndicate agent. :v:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

painedforever posted:

But it needs 7 strength! 7! That's 2+3+4+5+6+7 karma! Or 20 karma and strength increasing duds. Still. Strength has always been my dump stat.

So, I'll need to start out as a melee monster with a ton of grenades, and then pick up the 3 Quickness and Ranged once someone starts selling the minigun.

It only needs Strength 5 in Hong Kong, which made it really amusing.

What kind of saddens me is how mediocre SMGs are despite generally being a very useful weapon in tabletop Shadowrun (deadly enough to take out most threats, compact enough to keep concealed) outside of Shadows of Hong Kong, where the super endgame tier SMG is ridiculously good at mulching things.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
While racial/discrimination issues are obviously pretty central to Shadowrun and them coming up is to a point unavoidable when talking about the setting, let's be a bit careful with bringing real world parallels and issues into the discussion before things take a turn for the worse.

FoolyCharged posted:

There are indeed Smartlink weapons in base Returns, though they're for the most part seen on hireable runners and especially Nephilim Network ones. That's why almost every NN runner has a datajack, which is obviously an issue with the spellcasters. You can buy them as well, but if memory serves they're only available at the very end of the game.

Also I was away from my computer for a few days there so that's gonna delay the next update a little bit. I'll probably dig up another short story for you to bridge the gap a bit though.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

mauman posted:

Yeah, I wasn't even talking about them. I was talking about your general runners. They commit self defense pre-meditated murder all the time, and it IS pre-meditated when you purposely barge into property that isn't yours with the intent of violence or even just the possibility of violence.

Any time a runner kills somebody on the job while trespassing on somebody else property, it is by the definition of the US (and by extension probably USCA) law 1st degree murder. This is actually not up for debate. It just is.

On a semi-related note, anybody here ever play Alpha Protocol? One of my GMs once instated the "orphans created" counter from that game for our game, partially as a joke but it did make us realize that we were, for all intents and purposes, bad guys and that runners that try to think otherwise are delusional.

As for the hooder groups, having played, gm'ed, and read the books/fluff/even the novels for the game, I can't help but feel those groups are missing the point of Shadowrun. But hey, that's just me. Whatever floats your boat. :downs:

And I'd imagine they still count as murderers under the law. Hooder shadowrunners aren't that much moral then your average runner, it's a very fine line.

Yeah, I guess I should've put "self-defense" behind about a dozen air quotes :v:

Anyway when I last GM'd a Shadowrun game, one PC was Sioux SDF, one was a mage from Hollywood, one was a "pro" runner who had been in the shadows since a stint with the Wildcats, and the last was an actual wetworks operative. The final one did not shy away from just dropping people if need be, but the others put a lot of effort into plans so they would never encounter guards/security or as few as possible.

Of course that good will was probably all undone when they got caught in a huge fight between rival runners trying to trash their Johnson's office building and Knight Errant officers, and they wound up demolishing/wrecking a few KE vehicles before they finally were able to shake the heat long enough to make it out of Seattle to a safehouse and lie low for a good, long while.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The pen and paper rules do contain things like stick-n-shock and rubber bullets so you can mow down people without killing them. Sure the guy with the pacemaker might not thank you for the electrical shock but overall it's better than explosive rounds to the scrotum.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, the wetwork character actually carried explosive rounds for her sniper rifle for use against targets with lots of armor/ware. She critically glitched one time while firing them and it exploded just as it came out of the barrel, dealing damage to her and the Decker she was protecting

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Poil posted:

The pen and paper rules do contain things like stick-n-shock and rubber bullets so you can mow down people without killing them. Sure the guy with the pacemaker might not thank you for the electrical shock but overall it's better than explosive rounds to the scrotum.

And those are great in certain circumstances. Especially things like shock gloves/tasers. Good, silent, blood free way to take enemies out. Just don't forget to bind them and MAKE SURE THE BINDINGS ARE SECURE (why gee, no, that didn't happen in one of my games, thanks for asking :downs:).

I think though that things like rubber bullets have serious problems with armored enemies.

Not something to rely on (unless you're absolutely hell bent on it), but you're right the option is there and it's sometimes even more effective than the more permanent solutions.

And only the most blood thirsty insane runners (who are also looked down upon) actually WANT to fight the security forces, but it doesn't change the fact that we're playing people who are perfectly willing to murder those who get in our way.

Psion posted:

Remind me, are there any good trenchcoat outfits in DF? Because the idea of making a huge trenchcoat-wearing minigun-wielding runner is basically so close to Syndicate agents, I'm surprised this idea hasn't occurred to me before now.

I mean of course Syndicate and Shadowrun draw from the same well, so it's arguably also "literally making a standard minigun wielding runner" as much as it is a Syndicate agent. :v:

Best* armor in the game is a trench coat outfit. It also gives a +1 to all stats. So it really helps if you want to use the minigun

You have to work for the lodge with 2/3 bonus objectives fulfilled to get it :getin:

*Best being a relative term, based on one's class

EDIT - just saw something interesting. Somebody ported DMS into the HK engine and also is trying to add certain qualities to the game that the other's have (like more permanent runners besides Coyote). I think I might have to look at it when I have the time.

And I'd imagine you COULD use a minigun in DMS if you played it that way.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 28, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, the best armor in the game is the suit model. Gotta look classy as you gun down corporate drones, rival gangsn and commit crime.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, the best armor in the game is the suit model. Gotta look classy as you gun down corporate drones, rival gangsn and commit crime.

The suit is very useful early on. Especially for it's bonus as there are a lot of charisma checks in DF and the suit can make that investment way less painful. Later on I would switch it to a outfit that gives more armor and enhances your combat stats though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How does armour work, anyway? Is it a straight damage reduction, percentage based, or what?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

How does armour work, anyway? Is it a straight damage reduction, percentage based, or what?

Depends on the edition, but in 4e it functions as a protective thing. There's two different types Impact and Ballistic, and those have different modifiers based on ammo or weapon types. But the general way both work is the attacker rolls against the defender's Body stat plus Armor rating. So if you have a Body of 4 and your Armor rating is 8, you roll 12 dice to defend against the attack.

If the attacker had more hits, she gets to add net hits to her weapon's damage value. Then that's compared to your Armor. Say she gets 6 hits and you get 5. Her gun does 8 damage plus 1 extra for the net hit so 9 total. Since her damage is more than your Armor, you take 9 Physical damage. Let's say however that her gun does 6 damage plus 1 for that extra hit. 7 damage is lower than your 8 armor so you take 7 Stun damage instead.

There's various modifiers - again based on whether you have Impact or Ballistic or how much armor penetration the gun does or what ammo you use, but that's the cliff notes. I...think it works similarly in 5e

In Anarchy, it's just straight damage reduction. If you have 8 armor, you can essentially absorb an extra 8 damage before you start tracking things on your Condition monitors so it's a lot simpler.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

It works differently in DMS than in DF:DC and HK, so there are two answers. You can read all about it here, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/975556

but the short version is, in DMS it raises your chances of taking 0.5x damage instead of 1.0 or greater, in combination with your body stat.

in DFDC + HK, armor is straight DR; you have 4 armor and get hit with a 10 damage attack, you automatically soak 4 and take 6 dmg. It does nothing to your chances of taking a 0.5x hit or whatever, the cover system manages the critical hits, instead.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Does tabletop Shadowrun work the same way as it does in the HBS games for character creation? Do you get point buys (with each level of competence requiring more karma), or was it with dice rolls?

I mean, I really like the system for the computer games, but at times it seems as though it's all too easy to make a kick-rear end character who can take on all comers.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

painedforever posted:

Does tabletop Shadowrun work the same way as it does in the HBS games for character creation? Do you get point buys (with each level of competence requiring more karma), or was it with dice rolls?

I mean, I really like the system for the computer games, but at times it seems as though it's all too easy to make a kick-rear end character who can take on all comers.

The table top use a weird priority system. Basically you have 5 categories (nuyen, attributes, skills, magic, and race) which you rank from A to E. The higher the rank the more resources you get in a given category to distribute how you want. You can then further fine tune your character with perks and flaws. End result, character creation takes an absurdly long time compared to other systems, but on the plus side you can really tinker with the fine bit of your character in ways that's not possible in more straightforward systems. There is very little hard limits on how you can build a character, but realistically if you don't specialize and build toward a given niche you can end up with a character that sucks at everything.

Then there are additional weird pitfalls like reactions/initative being the most important combat stat for pretty much every character...

I dont know fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 28, 2017

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

painedforever posted:

Like the previous post, it depends. 5e starts with what it calls Priority System where you choose things at a rank to determine that category's benefits. It also has a point buy variant, and a variant where you pick what're called Life Modules.

The modules have you pick things for your character background. Where were you born, what was your childhood like, did you attend school, what job did you hold, etc. Each option you pick gives you certain skills or qualities or whatever, and then at the end, you get a handful of points for tweaking.

4e used a "build point" system where you had, say, 300 points and adding attributes or skills or qualities cost so many points. It also had another point buy system using Karma that was a bit more restrictive.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I dont know posted:

The table top use a weird priority system. Basically you have 5 categories (nuyen, attributes, skills, magic, and race) which you rank from A to E. The higher the rank the more resources you get in a given category to distribute how you want. You can then further fine tune your character with perks and flaws. End result, character creation takes an absurdly long time compared to other systems, but on the plus side you can really tinker with the fine bit of your character in ways that's not possible in more straightforward systems. There is very little hard limits on how you can build a character, but realistically if you don't specialize and build toward a given niche you can end up with a character that sucks at everything.

Then there are additional weird pitfalls like reactions/initative being the most important combat stat for pretty much every character...

There's an alternate system where you have X amount of points for character gen.

Stats, race, skills, money/gear, and everything in between costs an amount of points from that pool. This was the system that originally used the flaw/perk system as it would simply give + or - to the point pool, and I've never actually seen perk/flaws work with the A-E system (though maybe that's a recent thing since I haven't played the more recent editions).

I rarely used the points system though. It get's mind boggingly hard and time consuming to use that system where the A-E system is BAM, BAM, BAM, done. Unless you put resources into (A) I suppose and all of a sudden you need to figure out what you're going to spend 1,000,000 Nuyen on at character gen* :stonk:

*And for most characters, you do need to spend it mostly at character gen. The game system takes into account the imbalance of starting with such a fortune and divides all leftovers by 10 if I recall correctly.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 28, 2017

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I dont know posted:

There is very little hard limits on how you can build a character, but realistically if you don't specialize and build toward a given niche you can end up with a character that sucks at everything.

So, just like the computer game.

Specializing quickly and early in some form of combat mode has immediate benefits. Better hit chance, better crit chance, better skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

mauman posted:

Stats, race, skills, money/gear, and everything in between costs an amount of points from that pool. This was the system that originally used the flaw/perk system as it would simply give + or - to the point pool, and I've never actually seen perk/flaws work with the A-E system (though maybe that's a recent thing since I haven't played the more recent editions).

I rarely used the points system though. It get's mind boggingly hard and time consuming to use that system where the A-E system is BAM, BAM, BAM, done. Unless you put resources into (A) I suppose and all of a sudden you need to figure out what you're going to spend 1,000,000 Nuyen on at character gen* :stonk:

*And for most characters, you do need to spend it mostly at character gen. The game system takes into account the imbalance of starting with such a fortune and divides all leftovers by 10 if I recall correctly.

I'm referencing 2nd edition, with the perk/flaws rules coming from The Shadowrun Companion. You could still take perks and flaws with the priority system, you just had to balance the perks you get with flaws worth an equal or greater amount of points.

Yeah, any left over money is divided by 10 after character creation with the additional limit that you can't start with more than 10,000.

painedforever posted:

So, just like the computer game.

Specializing quickly and early in some form of combat mode has immediate benefits. Better hit chance, better crit chance, better skills.

Unless you're a decker that literally never leaves the safehouse (in which case the rest of the gaming group personally hates you) you're going to want your character competent in combat in some form.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 28, 2017

• Locked thread