Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Westwood is my favorite defunct game dev. The sequel to lands of lore, guardians of destiny, is one of my favorite games ever though I'm pretty sure no one remembers that game fondly if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh the music is insanely good in Steamworld Dig 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Westwood is my favorite defunct game dev. The sequel to lands of lore, guardians of destiny, is one of my favorite games ever though I'm pretty sure no one remembers that game fondly if at all.

I remember being baffled they dropped the beautiful 2D art for cosplayers and photo textures.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Between Steamworld Dig 2 and Steamworld Heist, image and Form have proven they actually have a really really talented team for what amounts to no-name developers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

beat the first boss in Ruiner last night and was getting my rear end kicked until I realized the "planned dash" mechanic can be used to rope a dope and dash through at the last second. The game mechanics can get so frantic that planning your placement with the Dash ability makes it like Hotline Miami if you were Barry Allen. Game is brutal even on Normal difficulty but gives you leeway with abilities, so it might not be as numbing as Hotline Miami. Overall so far it's sick and really unique.If you liked HL then this will extremely be your poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

VideoGames posted:

I really, really liked Dead Space 1 and 2.

why do these big companies buy successful studios and then change everything about them and act shocked when their output changes for the worse. It's very confusing. Surely you'd buy them and have them acting as they were doing so but now you'll be taking in the profits whereas before you weren't. There must be way more to it than I have any idea about.

Making good games is work, and mindless franchise loyalty / lack of discrimination in game design is really common. And that's setting aside the possibility of just getting short-term gain from the initial sales before something is wrecked by word of mouth, or before the flaws in a long singleplayer campaign or the balance/design of a complex competitive game become obvious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Games like Dead Space 3 + Andromeda were big successes for EA's shareholders. Mass marketing pumped up franchise recognition to rack up millions of pre-orders, sell a whole bunch super deluxe mega-hype collector editions for $200 (game not included), and by the time word of mouth came around to reveal hey these games kinda suck, they were already in the black off the hopes and dreams of expectant fans. Even better, EA dissolved their satellite studios shortly thereafter to further cut down on paying their developers, and the number of popular franchises they now own virtually ensures they can afford to sit on them for however long they want in video game purgatory until fans forget just how bad the last entry was as they cobble together the next half-assed attempt to revive the series.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

DLC Inc posted:

beat the first boss in Ruiner last night and was getting my rear end kicked until I realized the "planned dash" mechanic can be used to rope a dope and dash through at the last second. The game mechanics can get so frantic that planning your placement with the Dash ability makes it like Hotline Miami if you were Barry Allen. Game is brutal even on Normal difficulty but gives you leeway with abilities, so it might not be as numbing as Hotline Miami. Overall so far it's sick and really unique.If you liked HL then this will extremely be your poo poo.

I keep forgetting about the "planned dash" ability. Stuff gets so frantic!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

I keep forgetting about the "planned dash" ability. Stuff gets so frantic!

it's like the only way to survive for me, I can't imagine how i'd beat some segments without it. Enemies are really aggressive and will go all in + shimmy away effectively. Dashing through with a melee and zipping around with your gun seems to be the go-to way to deal with mobs, at least until you get more skills

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Big publishers these days epitomize short term gain over long term customer loyalty, because they generally get to keep that loyalty anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

learn to love the shield tackle because it'll

a) delete guys in one hit

2) doesn't drop the shield like attacking does so you'll catch fewer bullets on approach

i've only done the tutorial level twice on hard though so its effectiveness might change down the line

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are you multidashers using controller or mouse/kb? I prefer controller but it's much easier to plan out your dash in the middle of the action with a mouse.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

m/kb here but i also haven't been using the multidash much, the constant speed up/slow down paired with the random slow motion pauses (maybe it's a vanquish "you took a bunch of damage" thing?) that happen during the boss fight were really throwing me off

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Games like Dead Space 3 + Andromeda were big successes for EA's shareholders. Mass marketing pumped up franchise recognition to rack up millions of pre-orders, sell a whole bunch super deluxe mega-hype collector editions for $200 (game not included), and by the time word of mouth came around to reveal hey these games kinda suck, they were already in the black off the hopes and dreams of expectant fans. Even better, EA dissolved their satellite studios shortly thereafter to further cut down on paying their developers, and the number of popular franchises they now own virtually ensures they can afford to sit on them for however long they want in video game purgatory until fans forget just how bad the last entry was as they cobble together the next half-assed attempt to revive the series.

Syndicate 2020 preorder now for mindjack DLC

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Total War: Warhammer 2 comes out tomorrow, I can't wait to Skaven all over some elves. I just wish they'd make a 40k Total War too :(.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mgsv is the PS+ game for october hachi machi

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They heard I was just about to start 3 and they're messing with me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have all the Metal Gear platinums except that one because everytime I go back to it it's all the boring missions I'm missing optional objectives/s-ranks in like the ones with the skulls/kids (I also need to get all the animals)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

I'd rather have MGS HD Collection tbh. don't have ps2/ps3 anymore and would love to get those back. jesus konami just dump them on Steam already

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

PC GAMERS: How in the hell do you manage having lots of games installed but not actively played at any one time? Is there any all-in-one utility to shove games from an SSD to a larger spinning disk and back? These sons of bitches are getting huge and SSDs aren't that loving cheap yet. I basically spend $60 on the game and another $50 on flash.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn3Vt_PbtzU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

guardians of destiny

That's a Destiny podcast right?

cr0y posted:

PC GAMERS: How in the hell do you manage having lots of games installed but not actively played at any one time? Is there any all-in-one utility to shove games from an SSD to a larger spinning disk and back? These sons of bitches are getting huge and SSDs aren't that loving cheap yet. I basically spend $60 on the game and another $50 on flash.

I've got a 250GB SSD and I just uninstall games I'm not playing. It's getting to the point of being annoying since every non-indie is 50 GB these days.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 27, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Started playing FTL again and I wanna say that Mantis C is an awful ship.

cr0y posted:

Uninstalling the games you aren't playing is the most sensible way to save space. At least with games on Steam uninstalling and reinstalling is so simple there's really no reason to keep a ton installed if you aren't actively playing them and need to conserve disk space.

That said I don't think I've ever even come close to having my PC disk space filled up. You definitely don't need to install every game to an SSD and the rest of your computer should have plenty of room. If not, its probably time to start saving up for a modern PC.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

This hits me the same way drowning music triggers sonic fans

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3wPZrpxus
Sped up to 3X or so and you get the mini-game music in Aveh. Both games are a massive waste of effort and garbage reward, even if you unlock color blind mode. Elly is one-shotting bosses now and I just bought two sets of god gear. Probably hit the damage cap after I get through the vents, so the others will have to do their fair share.

cr0y posted:

I thought ahead and got a 512GB drive some years back. No way am I going to skimp on that when I remember the 80GB drive days. It is already showing its age since the games are already large for that drive.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 27, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

cr0y posted:

Like everyone else, uninstall and reinstall on my tiny rear end SSD. Download times are pretty quick now so it's not a big deal.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cr0y posted:

steam has functionality to move games back and forth between drives now, but the main answer is "only install games with big load times to the ssd, everything else stays on the platter"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I actively try not to have games installed that I'm not playing any time soon.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why are the subtitle options sometimes hidden in the "Gameplay" options menu?? That's dumb

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I keep some games installed as a way to force myself to eventually play and beat them and knock them off my backlog.

Jay Rust posted:

Why are the subtitle options sometimes hidden in the "Gameplay" options menu?? That's dumb

I agree, they should be under audio.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MMF Freeway posted:

hell yeah Westwood was awesome!

BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (1988)
Circuit's Edge (1990)
Eye of the Beholder (1991)
Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon (1991)
Dune II (1991)
The Legend of Kyrandia (1992)
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos (1993)
Command & Conquer (1995)

that's a hell of a track record, and that's only counting their "10/10" games, i don't recall them making a single straight-up dud (Mines of Titan maybe)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

it's good to know i'm not the only one who gets mad about little things like this, it drives me sideways

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I always forget they did crescent hawk's inception, that game was sick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of old PCRPGs that don't get enough love: Escape From Hell (which used the same engine as Wasteland)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9IoVji2PSQ

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cr0y posted:

I have a 1 TB SSD. :frogc00l:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

chumbler posted:

I have a 1 TB SSD. :frogc00l:

You'll have to let the rest of us know how FF15 pc is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

I bought a second copy in the last digital sale so i claim credit

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

Sakurazuka posted:

The music is ear candy to me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a 128GB boot drive SSD that I should probably learn how to upgrade to a 2TB SSD. I have a 1TB data SSD, a 1TB non-SSD hard drive, a 2 TB media storage drive hooked up via USB, and an 8TB external USB 3.0 drive that I use for a great deal of my Steam library. As of right now I have 240 or so games installed on my Alienware 17 R4 laptop that I paid literally zero cents for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got like 3TB total of hard drive space dedicated entirely to my let's play recordings. I get a lot of fuckin footage. The MGS5 LP I was planning on doing was almost 800 GB of footage alone, but then again that game is absolutely gigantic and so I ended up with like 48 hours of video.

• Locked thread