Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is some extremely contortionist bullshit to try to get around the fact that you ended up getting egg on your face defending a dumb piece of poo poo.

It's the same opinion I had at the start of this dumb argument, but you really are on an unhinged vendetta, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The guy was peddling the same false narrative about it as late as last year. This isn't some "he didn't have all the facts at the time" issue. Noah has shown that he has absolutely terrible instincts and lacks any interesting insights on politics and it's insane that he is given an uncritical platform to push them. If it was just this one issue, it wouldn't be nearly as bad, but he can't seem to do either aspect of his job title of political comedian successfully.

Sam Bee sharing the stage with right-wingers and pushing Glenn Beck as a rehabilitated conservative in addition to her NIMBY attitudes on school integration very easily place her in the neoliberal shill world, and criticizing her as such isn't an insane prospect considering that the basis of her humor is indignation against backwards ideologies.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

GutBomb posted:

And they opposed the moving the school part not the integration part.

You realize this is how school integration has been handled since the 60s, right? The alternative is to force people to actually move their homes such that the school districts are more rational while still having an integrated population, and that's insane.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

.... I work in liberal politics and there's been HUGE arguments about the value of antifa. Attacking Trevor for not hewing to a non-existant consensus is nuts.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

GutBomb posted:

If our front-line defense against loving nazis is represented by people who randomly sucker-punch people and break windows for funsies I think we can do better.

drat about time somebody starts thinking about the windows. Transparent lives matter! 🙄

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trevor is just more leftist than all of you put together, you disgusting capitalist swine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novocherkassk_massacre

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

.... I work in liberal politics and there's been HUGE arguments about the value of antifa. Attacking Trevor for not hewing to a non-existant consensus is nuts.

Maybe y'all need to be having huge arguments about what you're going to promise people in 2018. I recommend healthcare.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WampaLord posted:

Maybe y'all need to be having huge arguments about what you're going to promise people in 2018. I recommend healthcare.

I can't wait to see how the democrats find a way to gently caress up in 2018.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IRQ posted:

I can't wait to see how the democrats find a way to gently caress up in 2018.

Every piece of news regarding the DNC post-election confirms that they have changed nothing. If they need to find a way, they're not needing to look very far at least.

But seriously, making fun of antifa people hating on Nazis for appropriating video games is funny. Noah's not "punching down at the left's best counter measure." He's mocking individual idiots being dumb.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Neeksy posted:

The guy was peddling the same false narrative about it as late as last year. This isn't some "he didn't have all the facts at the time" issue. Noah has shown that he has absolutely terrible instincts and lacks any interesting insights on politics and it's insane that he is given an uncritical platform to push them. If it was just this one issue, it wouldn't be nearly as bad, but he can't seem to do either aspect of his job title of political comedian successfully.

Sam Bee sharing the stage with right-wingers and pushing Glenn Beck as a rehabilitated conservative in addition to her NIMBY attitudes on school integration very easily place her in the neoliberal shill world, and criticizing her as such isn't an insane prospect considering that the basis of her humor is indignation against backwards ideologies.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/903731272249294848

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's at least a little bit funny that the writers implied that antifa is an American or recent thing. The first antifa group was almost 100 years ago now.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This entire thread is a false narrative. Your all false.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My all false what?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

precision posted:

My all false what?

Antifalse.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Tonight's Lineup: No Show

I don't recall mondays off being a thing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's labor day.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
speaking of Trevor Noah making tone deaf jokes, yesterday's episode included a bit where he said that we should ask ISIS for help with hurricanes

no, really, he said that, about 2:30 in. cc.com/shows/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

coyo7e posted:

speaking of Trevor Noah making tone deaf jokes, yesterday's episode included a bit where he said that we should ask ISIS for help with hurricanes

no, really, he said that, about 2:30 in. cc.com/shows/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah

This thread is the absolutely loving best.

I mean, in another timeline/reality, I'd probably say 'I can't tell if you're being serious', but in this reality, I'm somehow aware that you are.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LinYutang posted:

I used to sometimes dislike Jon Stewart's handwringing about how he was "just a comedian" but for the most part he did not lean into the same type of sanctimonious antics that Oliver / Bee / Noah eagerly engage in. There was a little more humility on his part which was refreshing.
In hindsight, I get what he meant when he said that. Jon knew he was making a difference with The Daily Show, but he viewed himself as a comedian first and foremost. JO, Sam Bee, Trevor, and the real Stephen Colbert (as opposed to the character Stephen Colbert) think that they're difference makers that just so happen to tell jokes.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Man if "Jones and Bee objectively opposed their school integrating" is unhinged to you, I don't know what the hell.
Jones said at that parent meeting that regardless of their views on the issue, they shouldn't talk to the media. Not a smart thing to say, but it didn't divulge his belief on the matter either way. Bee, to my knowledge, didn't say anything at all. But misinformation has a way of snowballing to become Truth.

Unless you have something that says otherwise, which someone did with Trevor.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Honestly, Seth Meyers hits the closest to classic Daily Show. I had caught up to TDS while it was on break. But between not being able to watch it on Hulu, and everything else, I haven't watched it since I got back, and I'm not sure if I care to.

Part of what made TDS such a big deal during Jon's run was that post-9/11, there really weren't liberal voices giving it to the administration or Fox News. Now there are what, 5 late nights hosts alone that give the administration what for, not including every other comedian that exists, or just going on Twitter. There's a lot of noise and unfortunately, I think Trevor adds to it rather than stand out from it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Seth Meyers' A Closer Look segments are kinda Last Week Tonight-Lite, but, it's on OTA TV, 4 nights a week, which makes up for it. Not being behind the HBO paywall, they reach a much wider audience.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

There's a lot of noise and unfortunately, I think Trevor adds to it rather than stand out from it.

You're only saying that because he's black. Racist.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Trevor just got a 5 year extension.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/trevor-noah-scores-5-year-daily-show-contract-extension-at-comedy-central-1038921

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Loved the bus tour bit. Lets have more of that and less of desk.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So Jordan Klepper's show started last night. I'll give it a shot for a week at least.

I'm rooting for the guy, but I'm not sure if we need yet another Alex Jones riff.

I think a better "Colbert Report... but in the Trump era" would be a parody of all the YouTube rationalists that D&D mocks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm really not into Jordan klepper. H is entire stick of acting like a dumb racist white guy is not that funny when everybody who is a dumb racist white guy is doing it non ironically.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 26, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trevor's "when should black people protest" piece was really really good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

IRQ posted:

Available at https://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow/videos/10155840010591800/ for folks who haven't seen it.

Standard Facebook rules, don't read the comments.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This Roy Wood Jr bit is pretty good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

So Jordan Klepper's show started last night. I'll give it a shot for a week at least.

I'm rooting for the guy, but I'm not sure if we need yet another Alex Jones riff.

I think a better "Colbert Report... but in the Trump era" would be a parody of all the YouTube rationalists that D&D mocks.

I couldn't make it through the first episode. Colbert Report only bad was not doing it for me, as much as I liked Klepper on TDS.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Imagine if The Nightly Show was the best we could hope for in terms of post-Colbert TDS spinoffs.
I would like to see Larry have a show somewhere else though, maybe with a longer show that doesn't come on every day so the panel thing could actually have a chance of working. I imagine he would have a lot to say about the way things have been going since he got cancelled.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

tevor noah had a 5 minute long standup bit about killing striking miners

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Phi230 posted:

Yeah I've seen it it's pretty funny but it sure does sound bad when you take it out of context.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

Yeah I've seen it it's pretty funny but it sure does sound bad when you take it out of context.

so youre saying its funnier when he jokes about killing striking miners in front of a white audience

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Imagine if The Nightly Show was the best we could hope for in terms of post-Colbert TDS spinoffs.
I would like to see Larry have a show somewhere else though, maybe with a longer show that doesn't come on every day so the panel thing could actually have a chance of working. I imagine he would have a lot to say about the way things have been going since he got cancelled.

If Larry could murder Bill Maher in the thunderdome and take his show I think we'd really have something.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

raditts posted:

I would like to see Larry have a show somewhere else though

Please no, I just got the sound of him laughing at his own jokes every minute out of my head, don't make me relive that.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Phi230 posted:

His bit was about how that incident was covered in the international press and about how there was more nuance to it than "killing striking miners"

He was also not saying that killing the miners was the right thing to do, it was more like "of course they killed the miners, what did you loving expect?"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

IRQ posted:

That was really good. It's a shame so much of what he's done and said lately has been so lovely. I really didn't like his "Bernie Bros cost Clinton the election" joke tonight. That poo poo gets really old.

IRQ posted:

If Larry could murder Bill Maher in the thunderdome and take his show I think we'd really have something.

Now you're talking.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm not sure I really understand what The Opposition is going for. He'll start tackling some popular news subject of the day and then devolve into absolute nonsense instead of driving some hard hitting facts about that subject. Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SyRauk posted:

I'm not sure I really understand what The Opposition is going for. He'll start tackling some popular news subject of the day and then devolve into absolute nonsense instead of driving some hard hitting facts about that subject. Meh.

I'm enjoying it so far, although I haven't seen tonight's episode. I like the premise of it being a big spoof of Alex Jones and the rest of the alt-right, but like most folks who've seen it, I'm sure, I'm wondering how long they can keep it interesting. It's not as much material to work with as Colbert had with the broader right-wing media.

• Locked thread