Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

iospace posted:

Did he ever say why he hosed the shark though?

I mean it was actually the quiznos guy or whatever, but if it was him it was probably because dermal denticles on a shark's skin combat the prevailing desensitization of the middle-age, windsocked penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

Looks like it's time for Kirk Ferentz to sign another extension!

e - well nevermind

He's gonna ride out the current contract until they name his son as successor

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

He's gonna ride out the current contract until they name his son as successor

North Korea's national colors are black and gold?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Who would coach here after back to back firings? Even justified?

Program is toxic, my dude. We gonna be bad for awhile unless Mac pulls a rabbit out of his gaping, shark-loving rear end in a top hat next year.

Florida's a stable place to coach. Muschamp got that 4th year despite 2013, which was a fireable offense in and of itself. McElwain has received an indoor practice facility along with big facility upgrades to come, and he'll get that 4th year. This isn't say, LSU. And when you're a blue-blood, you're just one good hire away from success (see FSU's quick recovery after the malaise of Bowden's last few years.)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

North Korea's national colors are black and gold?

First half tonight aside Brian is a really good coach, I'm honestly fine with it. I don't know who else we'd get that's definitely a better fit for the program. The other options are probably either promoting Phil Parker or hiring like Bert or someone else with a connection to the program. Parker has been a good DC but I think Brian has a lot more upside as a head coach.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 24, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Godzilla07 posted:

Florida's a stable place to coach. Muschamp got that 4th year despite 2013, which was a fireable offense in and of itself. McElwain has received an indoor practice facility along with big facility upgrades to come, and he'll get that 4th year. This isn't say, LSU. And when you're a blue-blood, you're just one good hire away from success (see FSU's quick recovery after the malaise of Bowden's last few years.)

I...guess? I mean the sustained success from the early 80s the blew up in the 90s was nice. There were other blips like Graves/Spurrier in the sixties, but they weren't serious contenders.

I think the athletes are there but with back-to-back horrible coaching hires UF may have put itself in an unenviable buyout cycle like a lot of middling programs. They went all-in on Mac which was somewhat reasonable based on his rebuilding job at CSU. It's kind of looking like he just doesn't have it. He's doggedly loyal to a really bad OC. Painfully bad. Half our points last night were literal defensive fuckups by Kentucky with uncovered receivers coming off a timeout.

And now our defensive coaching seems to have stepped back (although injuries have limited some of our LB and DB depth).

It's easy to hope that someone could just come in an resurrect a sleeping giant program, but it's not clear that we could just roll out and pick up whatever rock star coach and turn it around--our last two coaching hires have made it conceivable that mediocrity is indeed possible here.

MourningView posted:

First half tonight aside Brian is a really good coach, I'm honestly fine with it. I don't know who else we'd get that's definitely a better fit for the program. The other options are probably either promoting Phil Parker or hiring like Bert or someone else with a connection to the program. Parker has been a good DC but I think Brian has a lot more upside as a head coach.

Yeah I was just busting balls about nepotism - I don't know much about him as a coach, but usually the nepotistic hires don't work out.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The good thing about the SEC East is you can count on uncovered receivers coming off a timeout against everyone but maybe Georgia, and that's only because they are preparing a more hilarious gently caress up.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's still unbelievable that muschamp got that 4th year after going 4-8. It's about as stable a job as you can hope for as a coaching candidate.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

It's still unbelievable that muschamp got that 4th year after going 4-8. It's about as stable a job as you can hope for as a coaching candidate.

God, I must've repressed it because I took a glance and I still can't believe a coach survived that season at UF:

We opened the season at #10! :laugh:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Muschamp only survived that disastrous year because of the season that preceded it. For the same reason, I don't see any way that McElwain gets fired this season, no matter how bad it gets.

I do think the writing will be on the wall once Georgia proves itself to be the class of the SEC East under Smart and he fails yet again to defeat (even a weakened) Florida State.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Unfortunately Butch is probably a dead man after they get stomped by Georgia this week.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

Unfortunately Butch is probably a dead man after they get stomped by Georgia this week.

I just went "Unfortunately?!?!" and then I got it.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gus Malzahn's seat probably just got a good bit hotter, because Auburn's AD is almost certainly getting fired over this basketball thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Jurich and Rick Pitino have been fired by Louisville. In addition:

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/913037614575493120

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Duckaerobics posted:

Gus Malzahn's seat probably just got a good bit hotter, because Auburn's AD is almost certainly getting fired over this basketball thing.

Cant forget the softball thing as well

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

Tom Jurich and Rick Pitino have been fired by Louisville. In addition:

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/913037614575493120

Why would Louisville want to fire Petrino though? He's been a big success as far as I can tell.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Why would Louisville want to fire Petrino though? He's been a big success as far as I can tell.

If another school takes a shot at him his buyout is less? Or is that a different thing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

If another school takes a shot at him his buyout is less? Or is that a different thing?

Correct.

Also it's a lot easier to buy Bobby out if the new AD wants to clean house.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

He is also literally Bobby Petrino and if Louisville wants to clean house entirely, he's a good option to go

Then they can hire Jeff Brohm and not miss a beat

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He hasn't done anything awful at Louisville that I can recall so why rock the boat and even bother with the buyout when he's been hugely successful for them?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He is also literally Bobby Petrino and if Louisville wants to clean house entirely, he's a good option to go

Then they can hire Jeff Brohm and not miss a beat

Sounds like throwing out the baby with the bathwater to me

Granted, it's a famously disloyal baby with a weakness for interns, but the sentiment still stands. Louisville isn't on a level where they can just guaranteed go to the coach store and pick up an elite coach.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 27, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

He hasn't done anything awful at Louisville that I can recall so why rock the boat and even bother with the buyout when he's been hugely successful for them?

I don't know why they'd fire him but I think the better point (because it's mine) is that he becomes cheaper to hire for another school (mine)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I wonder if Tennessee would take a shot at Bobby Petrino?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

MourningView posted:

I think in these trying times they need a folksy, stabilizing, pretty cool force.

Are coach trades a thing?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Feldman posted this last night

quote:

Early speculation has Nebraska wanting to return to its roots by hiring Trev Alberts, now the AD at Nebraska-Omaha, to become the new athletic director, then luring former Huskers quarterback and current UCF head coach Scott Frost (who was Oregon’s offensive coordinator when Nebraska’s coaching job was last open in 2015 yet never got a sniff from Eichorst). A source plugged in at Nebraska told me there’s truth to that speculation. First things first, though, the university needs to move on hiring its new AD. The school announced Tuesday that another Huskers legend, Dave Rimington, will serve as the interim.

Sure, fine, I guess

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I mean, we've pretty clearly been pointing in that direction. I have no problem with Trev, but I know there's a lot of people who hate him for ending football at UNO even though it was causing their athletic dept to bleed money.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'll still be very, very surprised if they hire Frost, but okay.

Either way, I still firmly believe that they need to let Riley fail - really fail before they make a move. If he doesn't make it to 6 wins, I think he's probably gone. That means he needs 4 more wins, and here's the schedule:

@Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio State
@Purdue
Northwestern
@Minnesota
@Penn State
Iowa

I'd only favor Nebraska in the Illinois and Northwestern games. Purdue and Minnesota are winnable. Iowa is unlikely but possible, the other games look like guaranteed losses at this point. Who knows though, Riley's teams are known for pulling random wins out of their asses.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
If — and it's certainly possible — Wisconsin and OSU blow us out (emphasis) at home, I think he's probably done.

Seaniqua posted:

I'll still be very, very surprised if they hire Frost, but okay.

Why?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Lack of experience as a head coach in division I. I'm not saying this is something that necessarily concerns me, but I wonder if the powers that be will have major reservations about it. If Nebraska is able to hire a coach with a proven track record, whoever that is, that just seems like a more likely hire to me.

That's just my gut reaction though, what do I know? Part of the reason it seems so unlikely is that it's the name one everyone's lips right now. It reminds me a lot of all the Jim Tressel chatter after Bo was fired.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
When Eichorst hired Riley, he did so without consulting anyone or doing much of a search. I think the new AD will receive clear instructions to conduct a formal search process for a new Head Coach, probably engaging an external firm, having meetings with stakeholders, and interviewing several well qualified candidates. While that process could end in hiring Frost, I don't know if they will pick him over someone with a better resume.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I don't know why they'd fire him but I think the better point (because it's mine) is that he becomes cheaper to hire for another school (mine)

I mean sure but I can't remember a buyout scaring a school away from hiring someone they really wanted anyway

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
There aren't many coaches out there with proven track records that are at programs that Nebraska can simply pluck from. Petrino at Louisville, Harsin at Boise, Mullen at Miss St. That's about it for people who have already sustained success that aren't already at a blue blood program.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

Lack of experience as a head coach in division I. I'm not saying this is something that necessarily concerns me, but I wonder if the powers that be will have major reservations about it. If Nebraska is able to hire a coach with a proven track record, whoever that is, that just seems like a more likely hire to me.

That's just my gut reaction though, what do I know? Part of the reason it seems so unlikely is that it's the name one everyone's lips right now. It reminds me a lot of all the Jim Tressel chatter after Bo was fired.

Tressel was still under a showcause until like this year so I don't really see how that's comparable.

The Riley hire caught people off guard and made fans mad because he was old, had a solid like decade of being an 6 to 8 win coach at best, and was from the other side of the country with no connection to Nebraska. Frost is a young up and comer with a short but encouraging track record as a head coach, a great history as an assistant, and also happens to be a beloved former player. I don't think it'll cause anything close to the same sort of outrage the Riley search did it that's where things end up.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Seaniqua posted:

It reminds me a lot of all the Jim Tressel chatter after Bo was fired.

The difference being that was always nonsense, whereas Frost seems at least semi-logical.

That said, I'm all for a Mullen or Harsin-type hire *COUGH* should one need to be made

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 27, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't really get the appeal of Harsin, I think Boise has kinda steadily fallen off under him. They're still pretty good but it's a definite step below where they were and he inherited about as good a mid major situation as you could ask for.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I also just learned he's a Boise native and alum, so yeah, fine shelving him

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Come on Nebraska. Hire Al Golden.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dilber posted:

Come on Nebraska. Hire Al Golden.

Been wondering when we'd see a sideline graced with his goofy tie wearing self. I could see Nebraska fitting for him, they'd love how CLASSY he is.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
at a certain point hot-poo poo mid major coaches are going to look at fallen powerhouses with their unrealistic expectations and say 'nope'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Been wondering when we'd see a sideline graced with his goofy tie wearing self. I could see Nebraska fitting for him, they'd love how CLASSY he is.

He's even an NFL (position) coach now! Maybe this time he can beat teams with a pulse!

• Locked thread