Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The combat in Automata is more about positioning and your ability to herd/corral/control enemy mobs than it is about doing combos. A game like Revengeance only puts you up against two or three "real" opponents at once with any the others hanging back so they don't bother you all at one time. They do it that way because the combat is much more centered around focusing on only the guy who's coming at you and doing sick air juggles on him and stuff. In Automata the enemies come at you all at once and there's up to a dozen of them at any given time. Because of that, individual enemies have less presence unless they're huge like goliaths or those weird bird things, but entire mobs are more important to the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The concert BluRay released today and Okabe's extended soundtrack is now available for preorder.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Ruffian Price posted:

The concert BluRay released today and Okabe's extended soundtrack is now available for preorder.

I'll never be able to stop spending money on Nier music.

At least, I sure hope not.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Gibbering posted:

I'll never be able to stop spending money on Nier music.
Well, I was stopped today because the surprise vinyls that opened for preorder at 2AM GMT sold out within hours. Play-Asia didn't open yet so there might still be a chance.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

Well, I was stopped today because the surprise vinyls that opened for preorder at 2AM GMT sold out within hours. Play-Asia didn't open yet so there might still be a chance.

its still available for preorder from the NA Square store.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks, dude! Got it through the EU storefront (shipping is 40 euros, holy poo poo), feels good to have that secured :shobon:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

its still available for preorder from the NA Square store.

And bought. Thank you! I thought I'd lost out.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

No problem! i had been waiting on those too, and Square store doesn't even charge international shipping to the US on it so it is probably the best option

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kavak posted:

I'm looking forward to finding out just what the hell her reasons were there.

Snickering at this post in the LP thread about A2 killing Immanuel

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Snickering at this post in the LP thread about A2 killing Immanuel

It's a fun bit there. Normally, the LOOSE CANNON ROGUE from the hero organization who knows something the protagonist doesn't is totally informed and is working against the REAL villains.

A2 is just a bitter idiot who figures she might as well go on a killing spree, because it's what she's good at, and she hates the Machines anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A2 is a nice person.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No Wave posted:

A2 is a nice person.

Which A2?

It's mentioned she only chills enough to not murder Pascal because of 2B's memories getting in the middle of hers and jumbling everything up. I mean, she ends up being alright, but before that, she's pretty much just a murder hobo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The murder hobos are the most morally sound people in this series though.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

Normally, the LOOSE CANNON ROGUE from the hero organization who knows something the protagonist doesn't is totally informed and is working against the REAL villains.
This reminds me of that one android in the Bunker I like to call lovely Foreshadowing YoRHa. Upper command center, to the left disappears on Route C Goddamn her dialogue was bad.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo this game is good. The setting is really funky and I dig it. The combat isn't explained very well, in my perspective at least. I had to turn the game to normal during the introductory sequence because I can't figure out how to dodge the sawblades. Is defense in this game like Dark Souls, where dodging gives you a few iframes, or is it like The Witcher, where you're just constantly hopping around, or is it something entirely else?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You should be spamming dodge pretty much constantly, the iframes you get from it can be measured in minutes.

But also Hard is grossly unbalanced and there's lots of times where you'll just get one-shotted forever so don't feel bad about it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Thanks. Can you dodge Literally Anything, or is it only Certain Things?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can dodge literally anything. The combat in this game is not deep.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Node posted:

Holy poo poo this game is good. The setting is really funky and I dig it. The combat isn't explained very well, in my perspective at least. I had to turn the game to normal during the introductory sequence because I can't figure out how to dodge the sawblades. Is defense in this game like Dark Souls, where dodging gives you a few iframes, or is it like The Witcher, where you're just constantly hopping around, or is it something entirely else?
It's Witcher but without the annoying twirling that would mess you up sometimes. Combat in this game is mostly centered around trying to figure out how to time your button presses so that your attacks look coolest, but the system is very well made for that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Node posted:

Thanks. Can you dodge Literally Anything, or is it only Certain Things?

Only dodging melee attacks will trigger the slow-mo (you can choose to increase the slow-mo time a perfect dodge gets you with upgrades later on) but the dodge i-frames are for everything. You can also use dodge to cancel an attack at literally any point during the animation except the final flourish animations for heavy attacks I think? Someone else should confirm that. But basically if you see an attack coming no need to worry that you just pressed attack, press dodge and you'll still dodge.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Haha, yeah, the i-frames from dodging are ridiculous. Mashing dodge will nullify damage from even the most spectacular enemy attacks and combos.

Mash dodge a lot. Don't try to time your dodges. Just mash the button.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Yeah the dodge mechanic is probably the most broken part of the combat. Just enjoy invincibility until you're ready to do something, no rush mate! Makes me miss Bayonetta so much, where you'd get mildly punished for attempting to abuse the dodge.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

You can dodge literally anything. The combat in this game is not deep.

I'd argue that the combat is potentially deep. It's just between the generous i-frames and the leveling mechanics, you don't have to engage with anything beyond the most basic surface stuff.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Combat isn't deep if you have to intentionally ignore/underutilise the game's most obvious mechanics to find ways to make it deep. Almost any game has potential for that kind of artificial depth, that's what challenge runs are.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Yeah the dodge mechanic is probably the most broken part of the combat. Just enjoy invincibility until you're ready to do something, no rush mate! Makes me miss Bayonetta so much, where you'd get mildly punished for attempting to abuse the dodge.

Bayonetta's combat isn't perfect either. I platted the game and not only did I not abuse the dodge, I never dodged at all. The game makes it sound like you gotta use Witch Time but it's not worth it, in my opinion. I found it easier to play it like a straight brawler.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Combat isn't deep if you have to intentionally ignore/underutilise the game's most obvious mechanics to find ways to make it deep. Almost any game has potential for that kind of artificial depth, that's what challenge runs are.

imo it's a "make your own fun" kind of thing. Yes, if you take advantage of all of the... er, advantages, that the game gives you, then it'll be a lot less complex because the same tactic can be applied to any fight. But you don't have to do that- If you choose to experiment, instead of becoming more tedious (in most situations), it becomes more involved.

edit: And it depends on if you see that as intentionally gimping yourself. I don't think it is, because again you can play however you want as long as you kill the enemies. It's the same as nearly any action game. Yes, you can run in and mash the dodge button and light attack button and you will almost certainly succeed. But do you really think that's how you are intended to play it instead of discovering a method that you find fun?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 27, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Technically you don't even have to play the game at all if you don't want to. Just put it on easy with all the auto chips and eat some nachos while it plays itself.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

...! posted:

Technically you don't even have to play the game at all if you don't want to. Just put it on easy with all the auto chips and eat some nachos while it plays itself.

This made the playing of Nier Automata far more enjoyable which is great because for all this games amazing strengths game play is not one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

...! posted:

Bayonetta's combat isn't perfect either. I platted the game and not only did I not abuse the dodge, I never dodged at all. The game makes it sound like you gotta use Witch Time but it's not worth it, in my opinion. I found it easier to play it like a straight brawler.
Very hard mode in that game disables witchy time so the game is totally functional without it. Bayo's combat system is sick (bayo 2 was such a letdown by comparison that I'll never listen to people online about brawlers again).

NA is different because there are bosses like Hegel that cannot reasonably be beaten without abusing dodge.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

...! posted:

I hated this about the chips. I don't mind weirdly breakable upgrade systems, FFX's sphere grid would let you do some really weird stuff, like speccing characters into classes they didn't belong in (I had Rikku as my heavy hitter and it was insane) but you've gotta exploit it a little more actively. Automata's chip system you can stumble blind drunk into pseudoinvisibility with the healing and auto chips.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I can't really see not using the dodge in this game to make it harder though. If you don't use the dodge, how are you getting away from enemy attacks, running? That sounds like it would be really awkward and unfun, and clearly not what was intended. Unfortunately the dodge in this game is just too good, and not using it leaves you with no real options.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You could try to counter every attack instead, I guess.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hegel can be a lot of fun if you use the Wire pod program, I spent half of that fight just going "wheeee!" zipping through the air

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Momomo posted:

I can't really see not using the dodge in this game to make it harder though. If you don't use the dodge, how are you getting away from enemy attacks, running? That sounds like it would be really awkward and unfun, and clearly not what was intended. Unfortunately the dodge in this game is just too good, and not using it leaves you with no real options.

Yes, your only choices are "use it all the time" and "never use it", and not any combination of those two things. :geno:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I think I may be bad at playing the video games. Because this was me trying to beat a boss. 3 out of possibly 10 deaths on him. On Normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTD6GRzS7fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u22vWrtyHro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hWJo-EXWI

Definitely bad at the planning at least. I would die, lose chips, and then keep playing.

So you know, I kind of loved the gameplay. :downs:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

Yes, your only choices are "use it all the time" and "never use it", and not any combination of those two things. :geno:

This kind of apologia is really dumb, dude. The player isn't responsible for balancing the game. The fighting is built around using dodging a lot, and dodging is grossly overpowered and there's no reason not to use and abuse it because there really isn't any alternative except to not use the tool you're given. That's not the player's fault, that's the game's fault.

Compared to similar action games, N:A's combat is simplistic and unbalanced in a lot of ways. Whether that's a problem depends on the person playing and what they expected; I expected better and found the fighting to be very boring and it didn't reward any play style other than mashing and stacking life-on-hit.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 27, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you think something being way overpowered makes the game shallow and unfun in a single player game, why the gently caress wouldn't you impose limitations on yourself?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Because imposing limitations didn't make the game any more fun? Also why is it my loving job to fix the game?

It's not like I didn't try all the chips out and all the weapons out, but using stuff like Counter and Taunt seemed to add pointless fiddle-faddle. I could either counter and kill the enemy, or I could just kill the enemy, and there wasn't any reason not to just get to the point.

e: And the game certainly doesn't require you to load up on life-on-hit, since Recovery items are super inexpensive and you can use them instantly at any time. So I could have just loaded up damage or defense or gun power or whatever and healed that way for free instead, which I tried, and the combat was still lame. So how do I fix that instead?

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 27, 2017

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Sorry you didn't like it bub. I loved the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Can someone please clarify something about the story for me?

Who created YoRHa? Some secret android Illuminati? Why did they need to dispose of YoRHa once they had enough data to make new models if YoRHa was already developing and producing new models during its existence without needing to wipe the slate clean every time?