Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

the evocati leaks are going to be absolutely brutal

I know they don't have much choice but to rush out a "wow you can fly a ship around in space" 3.0 with a shitload of ships disabled and you can only land on landing pads and not anywhere you want

but the second a single pissed off evocati starts leaking the "welp game is poo poo still" they are going to get a flood of additional refunds

they really hosed themselves on this

They've already pre-empted this by getting the devs on camera, look at their little faces, how do you feel about refunding directly from these guys pockets.

People see Chris and think of him in a big Italian yacht, gently caress that guy, gimme my money back.

But here's poor little Ben Parry and his co workers who look like they haven't slept in two weeks, let's throw another wodge of dollahs in I feel so bad for them.

Nobody gives a gently caress how terrible the game is, not evocati, not backers and certainly not CIG devs. This entire project is about taking on the games industry and proving Derek Smart wrong on the internet. That's what backers are paying for, they don't give two shits if it even works.

Anyone expecting to build or to receive a functioning game is long gone.

As long as the endeavour and the promises remain huge and impossible the funding will roll in. Kickstarters fail with realistic and conservative promises, the bigger the dream, the bigger the lie, the larger the funding.

This is how it has always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Holy Crap! That's a lot of Google queries for Star Citizen refunds!

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
aspca. Only you can help this hungry and abused game dev.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SomethingJones posted:

They've already pre-empted this by getting the devs on camera, look at their little faces, how do you feel about refunding directly from these guys pockets.

Now that would be something. Chris walks into the meeting room, "Um we've err had another REFUND so I hope you uhhh didn't spend your last paychecks, because errr we're uh going to need that money back"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Thank you whoever posted the airhorn chrome extension. Tophat? I can't find the post.

I press it at least six times in the weekly "what is everyone doing?" meeting.

Foo Diddley posted:

The Star Citizen community: A pleasant and healthy place to hang out

:gary:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

BloodyScab posted:

aspca. Only you can help this hungry and abused game dev.

As ridiculous as it may sound, that video with the leads (and Ben Parry) sitting in a meeting room amidst the stories of refunds dominating the Star Citizen narrative carries a subtle message of 'please don't bail on these guys'

They appear as wilfully naive corporate dick suckers to me and they can all gently caress off.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ben Parry is the guy in charge of making lights that waffles nonsense on the Frontier forums about poo poo he has no clue about lol

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Foo Diddley posted:

Now that would be something. Chris walks into the meeting room, "Um we've err had another REFUND so I hope you uhhh didn't spend your last paychecks, because errr we're uh going to need that money back"

Chris Roberts is the face of broken promises, the devs are the face of the job getting done.

Erin is the whip cracker.

Derek is the evil villain.

Can nobody see this is all just marketing to sell spaceships, that's all it is, walk away, it's all holywood bullshit

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
Posting on page 3000.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

TheGodofIris posted:

Posting on page 3000.

Wow, look at this man, living in 3017 while we all live in 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

peter gabriel posted:

Ben Parry is the guy in charge of making lights that waffles nonsense on the Frontier forums about poo poo he has no clue about lol

He gets 'sent' to that forum to post, I am convinced of it. Everytime the normal shills disappear for a while I'm waiting for him to show up. BAM! There he is, every time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Agreed. Thing is that CIG has completely eroded whatever backer trust they had left; save ofc for a few devout stragglers.

We now have more people in EFT and Evocati than ever before. So trust me when I tell you this, we're going to leak EVERY loving THING.

ETF Stuff like this which we just lol about, are going to be the sort of screen caps we'll be taking - nonstop. Including 3.0 shots etc.

Pleasent

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Toops posted:

3.0, what a loving joke. It's already a failure whether they release with one moon or three. Where is any semblance of a loving game? Remember that? The VIDEO GAME!! Where's some early iteration of an economy? How about trading, mining, salvage, repair, rescue, research, transport, exploration, fuel scooping, planetary missions that aren't just "go here and collect 10 bear asses..." Where are the Vanduul, the other alien races, and what role do they play in the universe other than hovering around a point of interest waiting to be shot? How do you get missions other than Jimmy 3-Coats? Are missions part of a cohesive narrative? Are they co-op? Can you form groups and share quests? Is there reputation? Fines? How about insurance beyond a high-pressure loving sales tacic?? Is anyone thinking about this poo poo, let alone prototyping it or, god forbid, MAKING it??? Even if 20 people can meet in-universe, and there was a place they could fly, why would they bother? What would they DO?? Stuff a loving vending machine into a spaceship? Who gives a good god drat about the scope of pre-alpha level design when there is literally NO REASON to get into your ship and fly anywhere. CIG needs to give up. Just give the gently caress up and get outta here.

Scruffpuff posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly transparent the CIG narrative is, yet I have to give grudging admiration to how effective it's been. Perhaps not to CIG's credit per se as much as an indication of the crippling lack of intelligence on the part of their fans.

The concern is never what's in the game, what isn't, what works, what doesn't, and how much of a lying, inept scumbag Chris Roberts is. No awareness that he's the only reason they have nothing to play, he's the reason nothing works, and as long as he's in charge, they'll never get the game they want. No mental focus on how poo poo the game is today, no historical awareness that no game in this condition has ever had a "miracle patch", and no additional historical context that, in fact, no game has ever been in this bad a condition at any stage in its development, much less one with $160 million, hundreds of employees, and years of effort behind it.

What we have instead is "3.0! 3.0! 3.0!" Because what matters most is the arbitrary build number associated with the terminally crippled code. That's the toddler-level lie CIG is pushing, and I'll be damned if every goddamned backer hasn't swallowed that dick down to the balls.

The obsession with version number over actual features and gameplay was a big motivation for setting up https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

Why citizens continue to deceive themselves with the promise of "3.0!" over an actual feature like mining or trade is impossible for me to grasp. The only thing they seem to agree 3.0 will have is seamless planetary landings; which surprisingly didn't cause any alarm bells for backers when the "pre-3.0" demo'd to players on the floor of Gamescom intentionally disabled the ability to exit the level into space.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Variable 5 posted:

I too look fondly on the days when people that disagreed with you were too scared to post because you would threaten to dox them

He has competition from Experian, Yahoo, Google, AOL, Facebook these days.

Virtual Captain posted:

The obsession with version number over actual features and gameplay was a big motivation for setting up https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

Glad you did, I was using a loving awful list. They change scope all the time, and it was a vital tracking tool.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 27, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Virtual Captain posted:

Why citizens continue to deceive themselves with the promise of "3.0!" over an actual feature like mining or trade is impossible for me to grasp. The only thing they seem to agree 3.0 will have is seamless planetary landings; which surprisingly didn't cause any alarm bells for backers when the "pre-3.0" demo'd to players on the floor of Gamescom intentionally disabled the ability to exit the level into space.

It's because they will eventually get their version numbers. Features, not so much

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fil5000 posted:

Noted lovely cash grab Witcher 3 with it's three year development time, circa 50 hours of gameplay and two big expansions. Noted game that does nothing right Titanfall 2 with some of the best movement mechanics in an FPS and one of the most fun single player campaigns I've played in years.

From a page back but who the hell managed to finish Witcher 3 in 50 hours? I got 59% of the achievements in 140 hours, counting the expansions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Warhams II tomorrow, woo!

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Art dept : We want a 3d Printer
IT dept (me) : What kind of 3d printer ?
Art dept: Thinkerine Ditto Pro.
IT dept : You sure ? You cant do much except small pieces in PLA with it.
Art dept: Yes ! We want to print small plastic starships for a project
IT dept : Ok. i wil set you up a 2h training period with the manufacturer and send a IT tech over for the first print
Art : No need ! We know 3D printing !
IT : Ok dog. (sent email to my boss titeld : Art dept refused training on new 3D printer)

<2 week pass ,meanwhile printer is purchased, delivered, set up and tested on site by IT, all 100% in the green. Test print benchy boat sitting on my desk with signed work order>

<Morning after delivery>
Art : Hello, IT ? One of the 3d Printer motor is not working anymore and we cant take the print from off the glass bed...
IT : The motor.. Wait.. How cant you take off the print ? At worst just take off the blue tape.
Art : What tape ?
IT : You moth****

Sometime i feel like i'm working for CIG.

I don't get it, what happened?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

reverend crabhands posted:

Art department said they didn't need training on the 3D printer, then broke the 3D printer because they didn't know what the gently caress they were doing

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

One way to make 3D prints easily removable from the printing surface is to print it on scotch tape. It also adheres better. You learn that very quick, for example with training. A better way for PLA imo is using a glue stick which is normally even supplied with the 3D printer (if it has a glass bed as print surface). Depending on the print and how well the bed is levelled, it can easily lead to the print beeing not removable, so you have to stick it into the fridge or use cold water...or print directly on tape.

If the bed is not leveled correctly or you grossly misconfigure the print settings, the printhead might smash into the print, which might cause motor failure, allthough I never experienced that.

tl;dr: 3D printers need some level of training to operate them well, the guys choose not to get trained and ruined the print, and called IT to help.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Twitter has increased the character limit to 280.

May Derek have mercy on our souls.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm still hungover

friend sez "hey some day drinking?"

nah

"but I will talk mad poo poo about star citizen"

what I do for the thread...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

TheAgent posted:

I'm still hungover

nah

Citizenship must be earned.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I'm still hungover

nah

Check the fingernails on your thumb. Do they still have a brighter crescent at the bottom?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

I'm still hungover

nah

What don't you do for this thread? :wink:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Agent, please promise me something.

Promise me that LOVE PLEDGE will have a cover of LOVE GUN by KISS called LOVE PLEDGE.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Check the fingernails on your thumb. Do they still have a brighter crescent at the bottom?
yea, but for some reason my pee tastes salty??

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

thatguy posted:

Twitter has increased the character limit to 280.

May Derek have mercy on our souls.

They did? That is good!

I honestly feel the world is in the state it is nowadays thanks to Twitter's lovely 140 character limit.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Trippla AAAA+ is what happened.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

They did? That is good!

I honestly feel the world is in the state it is nowadays thanks to Twitter's lovely 140 character limit.

Now the world will get twice as lovely

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
no joke though I am suffering a wee bit of mal de disembarque and man does it gently caress with you, especially if you drink or smoke some weed

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

TheAgent posted:

drink the other stuff!

e: Kuekentax

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm in star citizen and about to jitter off my seat with my wine glass spinning wildly across town

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

How many leather jackets are you wearing?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TheAgent posted:

Face over IP, not I P over Face.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
always four at minimum

also this place is super loving bad rear end, I've never been here before but the gal next to me ordered a bloody Mary and it came with 3 sliders, a crab claw, two jumbo shrimp, fries and two wings

I am now staring at my house chardonnay in absolute disappointment

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

I feel like I'm in star citizen and about to jitter off my seat with my wine glass spinning wildly across town

just use your nipple jets to stabilize yourself

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

always four at minimum

also this place is super loving bad rear end, I've never been here before but the gal next to me ordered a bloody Mary and it came with 3 sliders, a crab claw, two jumbo shrimp, fries and two wings

ask for some pineapple pizza with blue cheese

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

always four at minimum

Best slam it back and see what they offer in lunch/alcohol bundles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and why is everyone in Orange county so loving attractive

I need to move to Georgia to be with my uggos