Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Who needs AA when you play in 4K :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

betamax hipster posted:

Postprocess AA looks like garbage though.

temporal aa is fast, and strong, and it's my friend

eames
May 9, 2009

kloa posted:

Who needs AA when you play in 4K :smuggo:

people with large screens and decent vision

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
That is so loving cool its almost unbelievable. If they come out with a DP cable cause of gsync I will be gritting my teeth purchasing a $150 displayport gaming cable. AA is the GPU killer of course... just amazing. Even if its just a small amount, with higher resolutions thats all you need anyway and it takes the load off the GPU!

Never been so jazzed about a cable

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

1gnoirents posted:

That is so loving cool its almost unbelievable. If they come out with a DP cable cause of gsync I will be gritting my teeth purchasing a $150 displayport gaming cable. AA is the GPU killer of course...
Completely depends on the AA method. SMAA is almost completely free in resources.

quote:

just amazing. Even if its just a small amount, with higher resolutions thats all you need anyway and it takes the load off the GPU!
If a 'small amount' is all you need then just use a cheap AA method.

quote:

Never been so jazzed about a cable
It looks far worse than SMAA and barely looks improved over no AA for $150. I fail to see what is impressive about it at all.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I fail to see what is impressive about it at all.

You can use it on things that are not PCs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So is it what I'm guessing and it's just a blur filter to hide the jaggies? :v:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ya'll haters just jealous of my cables

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

someone should kickstarter a hdmi passthrough box that just applies smaa to the signal

wii u output: https://a.pomf.space/zkxgqxwhuoiu.png
+ smaa filter: https://a.pomf.space/vjjuvnoutuez.png

i'd buy it

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Countdown to when we start measuring cables by core count and they have to have an 8 pin

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

So is it what I'm guessing and it's just a blur filter to hide the jaggies? :v:

By the time pixels are hitting the cable it's really too late to do anything more than that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

By the time pixels are hitting the cable it's really too late to do anything more than that.

I don't know if that's true though, I believe it is possible to actually run more complex processing algorithms at sub-millisecond latency if you plan the chips around it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...alright, this is weird enough that I have to bring it up here.

Apparently, there are $150 HDMI cables that _aren't_ snake oil.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Marseille-mCable-Gaming-Edition-Remove-Aliasing-HDMI-Cable

I'm impressed the tiny chip running off usb power can keep up. might be cool for a SNES mini.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 26, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The pixels on the cable are sufficient for smart post-AA algorithms, as I showed a few posts up. Having access to the depth buffer helps but it's by no means required to get good results.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

someone should kickstarter a hdmi passthrough box that just applies smaa to the signal

wii u output: https://a.pomf.space/zkxgqxwhuoiu.png
+ smaa filter: https://a.pomf.space/vjjuvnoutuez.png

i'd buy it

I have to say it took me a few flips back and forth to even tell where things had changed. The first jaggies I noticed were near the edge of the road and were basically unchanged in your AA'd image.

I also wouldn't want this built in to a cable for the same reason I prefer devices with removable cables rather than captive cables. Cables get damaged, they get replaced. This should be a $120 box you pair with two standard cables, or a "stick" type device that the actual cable plugs in to the back of.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

I have to say it took me a few flips back and forth to even tell where things had changed. The first jaggies I noticed were near the edge of the road and were basically unchanged in your AA'd image.

I thought the difference was pretty obvious 🤔

It's most visible on the stone pillars down the sides of the track, they're ragged as hell in the source image but almost perfectly smooth in the SMAA processed version.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

I thought the difference was pretty obvious 🤔

It's most visible on the stone pillars down the sides of the track, they're ragged as hell in the source image but almost perfectly smooth in the SMAA processed version.

Ah yea, I see that now. My focus was mostly on looking down the track and then to a lesser extent at the characters, so to me the most visible aliasing is where the curb meets the road. The right side cleans up OK but the left side is barely affected.

The character edges come out pretty decent, I'll give it that.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

wolrah posted:

Ah yea, I see that now. My focus was mostly on looking down the track and then to a lesser extent at the characters, so to me the most visible aliasing is where the curb meets the road. The right side cleans up OK but the left side is barely affected.

The character edges come out pretty decent, I'll give it that.

I wish the game choice was different because some of the aliasing was the egregious kind that most AA won't fix anyway. Though I guess its nice to have an example of many forms of aliasing in one screenshot. Overall, I am impressed at how it doesn't seem to be messing any visual data up and still clearly working where it can.

in a cable

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

temporal aa is fast, and strong, and it's my friend

Doom's AA is flawless, it has the nicest looking picture of any game I've ever played (the framerate helps too).

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I had a boosted HDMI cable (hdmi power only still) fry the main board on my TV, so the idea of a powered cable seems like a bad idea to me.

HDMI has almost no surge protectors.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Seems like post-process AA cables would be pretty good on the Dreamcast, or Gamecube, or various others things that don't have HDMI out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maxwell Adams posted:

Seems like post-process AA cables would be pretty good on the Dreamcast, or Gamecube, or various others things that don't have HDMI out.
AA cables already existed in the analog era, just switch down to a lower grade.

Seriously though I think that'd be better integrated in to the low-latency scaler you'd also need for a good experience with older consoles on a modern display. Let's keep cables as cables. I'm OK with active cables for cable length purposes, but the signal entering one end should be the same as the signal coming out the other end.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

AA cables already existed in the analog era, just switch down to a lower grade.

Seriously though I think that'd be better integrated in to the low-latency scaler you'd also need for a good experience with older consoles on a modern display. Let's keep cables as cables. I'm OK with active cables for cable length purposes, but the signal entering one end should be the same as the signal coming out the other end.

I am the fullscreen modal asking you to connect your Facebook account to your Cable Gaming Experience App every time you turn on your TV.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Alright grandpas

Unrelated but is anybody having trouble logging into HDMI Experience ? There's a patch for my cable I need to download

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
A for-reals question: are these cables still HDCP compliant?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I doubt it. They'd have to get an HDCP license for each cable, and if they managed to just go "hell with it" and pass HDCP content through blindly, that little chip in there would probably add enough delay that the 7ms locality check in HDCP 2.0 would fail.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The datasheet says it handles HDCP 1.4.

eames
May 9, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

Unrelated but is anybody having trouble logging into HDMI Experience ? There's a patch for my cable I need to download

I had that problem when I plugged in my Audioquest directional HDMI cable the wrong way around but the increase in dynamic contrast and audio texture is worth the hassle.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

eames posted:

I had that problem when I plugged in my Audioquest directional HDMI cable the wrong way around but the increase in dynamic contrast and audio texture is worth the hassle.

Lol dont buy those cables, theyre a scam. They claim directional data traffic but it doesn't even have an electron filter, so theyre really bouncing all around inside the tube.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just lol if you're not running your media content via USB-C over Avian Carrier.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Gigabyte confirming they aren't planning to release custom Vega 64 cards, citing bottlenecked performance, concerns over chip availability, and concerns about RMA rates (i.e. they don't think anyone but miners would be interested). MSI already said "lol hell no" last week.

Technically they didn't rule out Vega 56 but the same concerns mostly still apply.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Gigabyte confirming they aren't planning to release custom Vega 64 cards, citing bottlenecked performance, concerns over chip availability, and concerns about RMA rates (i.e. they don't think anyone but miners would be interested). MSI already said "lol hell no" last week.

Technically they didn't rule out Vega 56 but the same concerns mostly still apply.

Ouch, they actually put AMD on blast like that?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I wonder if Apple is sucking up all the quality bins for the new Mac Pro?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh hey, a new AMD driver. Let's see what the patch no-

quote:

Fixed Issues

The drop-down option to enable Enhanced Sync may be missing in Radeon Settings on Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics Products.
ReLive may cause higher idle clocks on the secondary Radeon RX Vega Series Graphics Product in a multi-GPU configuration on certain AMD Ryzen based systems.
Negative scaling in F1™ 2017 may be observed on Radeon RX 580 Series Graphics products in multi-GPU system configurations.

Known Issues

Unstable Radeon WattMan profiles may not be restored to default after a system hang. A workaround is to launch Radeon WattMan after reboot and restore settings to default.
Wattman may fail to apply user adjusted voltage values on certain configurations.
Radeon Settings may not populate game profiles after Radeon Software’s initial install.
Overwatch™ may experience a random or intermittent hang on some system configurations.
GPU Scaling may fail to work on some DirectX®11 applications.
Secondary displays may show corruption or green screen when the display/system enters sleep or hibernate with content playing.
Bezel compensation in mixed mode Eyefinity cannot be applied.
When recording with Radeon ReLive on Radeon RX Vega Series graphics products GPU usage and clocks may remain in high states.

:yikes:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
AMD's Overwatch issues are just sad. Why are they struggling so much with it?

SwissCM posted:

Doom's AA is flawless, it has the nicest looking picture of any game I've ever played (the framerate helps too).

It really is the best AA I've ever seen too. The game has an image sharpen option too, when used in tandem the game looks ridiculous.
TSSAA needs to be more common. Resident Evil 7's AA is also incredible, it's TAA which I think is a similar technique but don't quote me on that.

TSSAA = temporal super sampling anti aliasing
TAA = temporal anti aliasing

Whatever they are, they work better than any other post process AA by a significant margin.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Whatever they are, they work better than any other post process AA by a significant margin.

For obvious reasons. Temporal anti-alising methods usualy do a supersampling (TSSAA) or multisampling (Nvidia's TXAA) pass with the associated performance hit.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
How does temporal anti-aliasing work compared to old fashioned super-sampling (ie running at higher resolution than the display)? I don't know the technical aspect at all, and it sounds fascinating.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

How does temporal anti-aliasing work compared to old fashioned super-sampling (ie running at higher resolution than the display)? I don't know the technical aspect at all, and it sounds fascinating.

afaik it's using data from previous frames to reconstruct the edge, hence temporal. so you're using data that already exists rather than using render time making new samples

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 28, 2017

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
http://www.adriancourreges.com/blog/2016/09/09/doom-2016-graphics-study/

This is a good writeup on how Doom 2016 does stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I wonder if Apple is sucking up all the quality bins for the new Mac Pro?

I’m really looking forward to seeing how that’s not going to work. Sticking X299 and a Vega desktop CPU in an AIO form factor designed for mobile GPUs was crazy when they announced it but could MAYBE work. Now that we know one is a fusion reactor and one is a core sample of the sun, it’s going to be absurd. Oh, and Apple already staked their ground on it being the exact same size as the regular iMac.