Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Morby posted:

I liked the mini game in Mario 3? :shrug:

But did you play it for more than ten minutes???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

FireMrshlBill posted:

I think they could probably get away with their current triggers. I can't think of any of the games I have played that took full advantage of the analog triggers.

Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, pretty much every racing game other than Kirby Air Ride.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not a chance. A large portion of major GC releases use them in some respect, even if it's just the difference between a half-press and full-press.

Really? I didn't think that was utilized in Double Dash, Melee, either Zelda, or Luigi's Mansion. Can't remember if it was utilized in Mario Sunshine to adjust the water flow/power. Just thinking first party titles for now since 3rd party may have.

SilverSupernova posted:

Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, pretty much every racing game other than Kirby Air Ride.

Hmm, will have to go back and play Luigi's Mansion and haven't played Melee in years so couldn't remember a 1/2 press vs full press function

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It was used heavily in Melee - shielding was analog. So was water pressure in Sunshine.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

It was used heavily in Melee - shielding was analog. So was water pressure in Sunshine.

Ya, I thought it was just on-off for shield

Ya, so that can be a problem, especially with how particular people are about Smash Bros

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 27, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Come on Nintendo, resurrect ps2 analog buttons as well!!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Watching a writer dude stream Golf Story now, you definitely putt your actual lie on greens.

Also there are gophers that will steal your ball and move it to random places.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Huxley posted:

Watching a writer dude stream Golf Story now, you definitely putt your actual lie on greens.

Also there are gophers that will steal your ball and move it to random places.

GOTY?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do we know yet if vs smb is online multiplayer or just local? If it's online I'm in.

I just bought it, seems like local only.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A writearound for "some" Gamecube games wouldn't be acceptable anyway, because it just arbitrarily limits their available catalogue for no good reason and has no futureproofing. At the very least, turning out a theoretical Wavebird iteration means they're free and clear to release any title possible, which is the only situation acceptable for them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A writearound for "some" Gamecube games wouldn't be acceptable anyway, because it just arbitrarily limits their available catalogue for no good reason and has no futureproofing. At the very least, turning out a theoretical Wavebird iteration means they're free and clear to release any title possible, which is the only situation acceptable for them.

I wonder how feasible it would be to put out a joy-con shell or grip that just added the analogue stage on top of the ZL and ZRs before clicking them normally.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They already released controllers that worked for only Smash 4, so the idea of them selling new controllers for the VC is not really that farfetched.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manky posted:

I wonder how feasible it would be to put out a joy-con shell or grip that just added the analogue stage on top of the ZL and ZRs before clicking them normally.

People already experienced the MotionPlus addon, and would start wondering when the JoyCon Plusses were coming.

Momomo posted:

They already released controllers that worked for only Smash 4, so the idea of them selling new controllers for the VC is not really that farfetched.

That's what I'd expect, and it's pretty much the only way it'll happen.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

People already experienced the MotionPlus addon, and would start wondering when the JoyCon Plusses were coming.

Heh. I was sort of picturing the CirclePadPro for the 3DS. A joycon version could even use separate batteries and the IR port just like the CPP!

Joycon plusses seem sort of inevitable, really

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I remember some goon a week or so ago posted about getting little gel grips similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F6XMYV/

Were those actually useful / did they feel at all beneficial to use? Now and then I kind of hate the joysticks on the joy-cons... But not enough to feel a huge urge to buy something like this unless it seems to help a lot with comfort/control.

Also I recall when the Switch came out, there was some bitching about joy-cons occasionally losing connection with the system, has there ever been anything said/done about fixing this?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

How much money did they really save not putting analog in joy cons and pro?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I thought I saw a video somewhere that the Wii U Game Cube USB adapter worked to control the menu in the Switch. They could just use that if you want "real" Game Cube controls with analog triggers, or use Joycons/Pro Controller if you're fine with only having digital triggers. Unless you're speedrunning Mario Sunshine or going to SSBM tournaments, most people will be fine with having digital L and R buttons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

creationist believer posted:

I thought I saw a video somewhere that the Wii U Game Cube USB adapter worked to control the menu in the Switch. They could just use that if you want "real" Game Cube controls with analog triggers, or use Joycons/Pro Controller if you're fine with only having digital triggers. Unless you're speedrunning Mario Sunshine or going to SSBM tournaments, most people will be fine with having digital L and R buttons.

It's an issue of programming and edge cases, and Nintendo simply won't accept anything less than accurate emulation. There's simply no way to accurately predict what games will suffer unacceptably from having no analogue L/R buttons.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Ya, I would say though could just do L/R as half press and ZL/ZR as full press as a cheap work around (you can keep holding down L and then hit ZL to go full, or just hit ZL to begin with... and vice versa), but then what button would they use for the actual Z button.

Being able to hover vs rise up in Sunshine is an issue, and even programmed half press may not be the sweet spot for many games.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm hearing good things about Golf Story. A couple people have dropped Earthbound with Golf

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, I would say though could just do L/R as half press and ZL/ZR as full press as a cheap work around (you can keep holding down L and then hit ZL to go full, or just hit ZL to begin with... and vice versa), but then what button would they use for the actual Z button.

Being able to hover vs rise up in Sunshine is an issue, and even programmed half press may not be the sweet spot for many games.

The problem is that unless you can apply a fix for analogue triggers universally across all potential games, and be 100% certain it'll work, it's a non-starter. Anything else is a lovely, lovely mess of writing unnecessary workarounds.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What time will GOTY Golf Story be available in the good ole US of A?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario Bros Arcade is really quite good. The lovely one you hate from NES remix is the NES port. But you'll only like it if you like arcade high score attack games.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that unless you can apply a fix for analogue triggers universally across all potential games, and be 100% certain it'll work, it's a non-starter. Anything else is a lovely, lovely mess of writing unnecessary workarounds.

Ya, it would just have to be a controller input mapping that is universal and not per game, which then would be a crapshoot. I assume it would be half press (trigger all the way down to the end of the analog sweep) and then full (pressing the trigger in that extra click). Any game that makes use of that actual analog sweep would just be out of luck.

But many games would probably function with that, even if not ideally. The others would just get stuck playing docked with a gamecube adapter, or having to buy a new controller they release.

Maybe they could create special mappings for a couple of their signature titles like Melee or Sunshine or Luigi's Mansion.

Who knows, we'll see if they even do a GC VC instead of just releasing special ports of certain games with custom controls (which i doubt would include Melee or MKDD since they'd want people to buy the Switch's version).

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Guys we don't even have an NES vc yet, why the hell are you talking about a GC one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StabMasterArson posted:

the entire switch library is paying a premium for the fact youre playing on a Nintendo system.
In related news Im not buying a drat thing til Mario cos holy poo poo its easy to get burnt on the eshop

At some point I need to buy and play Blaster Master Zero. Got all the free DLC characters already too thanks to how you didn't need the game at the time.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Pokken is a very good fighting game that is on the Switch

:five::five::five::five::five::five::five::five:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think it's hosed up that the Switch has been out for years and still doesn't have Super Mario World.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

Guys we don't even have an NES vc yet, why the hell are you talking about a GC one.

Because I don't want to rebuy VC games I already own on the Wii/WiiU and 3DS. GC VC is new and more of an "if" than a "when" (we all know it will have NES and SNES games eventually, if anything at all).

Evil Fluffy posted:

At some point I need to buy and play Blaster Master Zero. Got all the free DLC characters already too thanks to how you didn't need the game at the time.

Yes you do. I can't believe I forgot to log in and get the Shovel Knight free download... oh well

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bill Barber posted:

Hardware evolution and the general theory, since the WiiU, that it should have the grunt to run GC games.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's weird that dual shock 2 introduced analog buttons, and GameCube used analog triggers that were like super analog, then analog triggers became a standard feature in all controllers. Sony said "triggers is actually all we need" and Nintendo said "nah actually gently caress it"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

RCarr posted:

What time will GOTY Golf Story be available in the good ole US of A?
It's not out until tomorrow, eShop updates on Thursdays at Noon EDT if you're in NA, or 3pm CEDT of you're in Europe.

Arcade Archives Mario Bros dropping today is just some weird edge case. It might be so that they could do a simultaneous release with Japan or something (Japan eShop updates on Wednesdays I believe).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

DoctorWhat posted:

I've never played Melee, how did the analog shielding work exactly?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm hearing good things about Golf Story. A couple people have dropped Earthbound with Golf

heard the same thing, all good things so far. I hope it does well enough to get Tennis Story next.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

heard the same thing, all good things so far. I hope it does well enough to get Tennis Story next.

I'm down for some cricket story.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I want Bowling Story.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

irlZaphod posted:

I've never played Melee, how did the analog shielding work exactly?

If you press the L/R button lightly, your shield is slightly larger so it covers more of your character, slows down how much your shield shrinks over time, causes you to slide further away when someone hits your shield, and increases the amount of stun when your shield gets hit.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DLC Inc posted:

Teaser trailer for Football Story looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLVQ9g_Tzt0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

overdesigned posted:

I want Bowling Story.

HANDBALL STORY

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

overdesigned posted:

I want Bowling Story.

Too many rules in bowling to make a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Manky posted:

Sometimes. (My D5 cover is reversed but it doesn't have the publisher on either side, I checked.)

thanks, shame about that disgea 5 spine

• Locked thread