Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Pretty good piece by Lance Thomas

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lance-thomas-carmelo-anthony-thank-you-letter/

Melos a cool guy and I wish him well and i'm still ecstatic he's off my team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Toronto must feel stupid at losing Pat Peterson for 5m/yr and having to pay Serge Ibaka 20m a year instead

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

scuz posted:

Laziest troll, 1/10.

At the end of the day, I think a lot of Gregg Popovich was uneducated. Am I saying the people of Ohio wasn't educated? Am I saying NBA fans was uneducated?

Hi, I'm LeBron James and I speak for Americans with a 3rd grade reading level.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Zogo, assuming you're going to set up your yearly poll, can you have us all guess as to how many regular season games Wade will play?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Boston has 6 rookies on their roster

PantsFreeZone posted:

At the end of the day, I think a lot of Gregg Popovich was uneducated. Am I saying the people of Ohio wasn't educated? Am I saying NBA fans was uneducated?

Hi, I'm LeBron James and I speak for Americans with a 3rd grade reading level.

Go away, dipshit

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dejan Bimble posted:

Boston has 6 rookies on their roster

Go away, dipshit

Lick lick lick my balls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OzFactor posted:

Zogo, assuming you're going to set up your yearly poll, can you have us all guess as to how many regular season games Wade will play?

Will Wade and Embiid combine to play a full season?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

PantsFreeZone posted:

Lick lick lick my balls.

Don't you have some minorities to harass or did you get banned from Gab too?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dejan Bimble posted:

Toronto must feel stupid at losing Pat Peterson for 5m/yr and having to pay Serge Ibaka 20m a year instead

Toronto is kind of an exercise in bad timing with respect to the cap jump. I'm glad the core three are locked up, but unless you're a super team that can convince people to to take pay cuts, having eighty million dollars tied up in Derozan/Lowry/Ibaka for the next three years is so limiting to the team flexibility that we're not gonna be able to sign anyone other than bit players. And since this isn't a championship team I think we're just kinda stuck. I mean, second round and conference final exits ain't too bad but I don't see any path for improvement.

The pre cap jump contracts are a limited resource though, they're dying off every year. Lots of the volatility in the last two off seasons was caused by the strange interactions between the two tiers of salaries relative to team finances. Things are gonna slow down like a motherfucker in a year or two.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm more curious how he ended up off my ignore list. I'm like 100% sure I he should have been on it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Paying serge is actually good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

Paying serge is actually good

Every athlete being payed is good, but Id rather have Patterson on my team than Serge at this point.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Wow, JaMychal is really getting the squeeze put on him

Doesn't he have a lot of potential? He's gonna store this memory like Hayward

e: Wow I didn't realize that he's already 27 years young

Yeah, but he's worth more than that. I think the Grizz ownership situation is a bit weird right now.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah, but he's worth more than that. I think the Grizz ownership situation is a bit weird right now.

they probably know they have to pay gasol and bring in someone else if they want to do anything other than tank. so saving money seems reasonable.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

yay for stability I guess
https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/913087246517116929

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Doltos posted:

Pretty good piece by Lance Thomas

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lance-thomas-carmelo-anthony-thank-you-letter/

Melos a cool guy and I wish him well and i'm still ecstatic he's off my team

Seconding this. Definitely worth the read.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Elfrid's hair is an actual missile now.

Hmm is this enough to get me through the upcoming orl season? :unsmith:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Imagine being such a pathetic human being that you've been banned from Twitter like 3 or 4 times :allears:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm almost more excited for the Eight Seed Sixers finally happening this year than the Spurs.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Imagine being such a pathetic human being that you've been banned from Twitter like 3 or 4 times :allears:
lol

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Elfrid's hair is an actual missile now.
Elfrid's hair becomes sentient, now reaching out to god

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hmm is this enough to get me through the upcoming orl season? :unsmith:
Magic fans?!? You do exist! Congratulations on your Juice acquisition. Honestly all you'll need to get through the season is plenty of highlights like these and that's what you're gonna get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvnnczGQdw

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm almost more excited for the Eight Seed Sixers finally happening this year than the Spurs.

Ben Simmons gonna be RotY and MVP

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Elfrid's hair becomes sentient, now reaching out to god

Like Snake's hair in that Halloween episode only if you get it grafted onto your skull you lose .100 off your TS%.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I love Patterson and 5 mil is a steal but he was not very good last year. He couldn't shoot at all down the stretch and his defense dropped off. Two years ago he was one of the team's most important players but last year he was a stretch 4 who couldn't shoot or play more than 20 minutes a game.

Ibaka is not 15mil better, but Patterson has shown that he cant be a starter. Ideally I'd like to have both. But the alternative, ditching Ibaka and keeping Patterson and hoping to find someone better in FA for 15 mil, didn't seem likely .
I'm fine with the Raptors keeping the status quo because all of their contracts expire in 3 years and I'd rather win 50 games and get to poo poo post into the second round than be tanking. Even if one of the 3 drops off significantly they can always blow it up and try to get some pieces by trading the other 2 (if need be).

Raptors 22/1 is good value. You could probably make money just hedging against them after the first round.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Every athlete being payed is good, but Id rather have Patterson on my team than Serge at this point.

Ibaka has been turning it on in the playoffs though. I think it's hard to judge a guy who joins a team mid-season, but he played pretty OK for the Raptors in the first two rounds.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I wrote a letter to Nick Van Exel (I really liked the way he played) when I was a kid and he sent a signed rookie card back. It's a very fond childhood sports memory. Love u Nick Van Exel

Assuming my dad/stepmom didn't throw it out, he is the only sports autograph I have. We waited in line for like an hour in Montclair Plaza. It was actually the second time we showed up there for it too, the first time was All-Star weekend, but he got selected as an alternate and had to cancel.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/913097059829534720

Cool deal welcome back JaM

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Lance: #1 in all our hearts.

The jerseys are really good also.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

BWV posted:

I love Patterson and 5 mil is a steal but he was not very good last year. He couldn't shoot at all down the stretch and his defense dropped off. Two years ago he was one of the team's most important players but last year he was a stretch 4 who couldn't shoot or play more than 20 minutes a game.

Ibaka is not 15mil better, but Patterson has shown that he cant be a starter. Ideally I'd like to have both. But the alternative, ditching Ibaka and keeping Patterson and hoping to find someone better in FA for 15 mil, didn't seem likely .
I'm fine with the Raptors keeping the status quo because all of their contracts expire in 3 years and I'd rather win 50 games and get to poo poo post into the second round than be tanking. Even if one of the 3 drops off significantly they can always blow it up and try to get some pieces by trading the other 2 (if need be).

Raptors 22/1 is good value. You could probably make money just hedging against them after the first round.

The Raps at 22-1 is probably a good bet, but how do they have worse odds at winning the conference than Philadelphia? The Sixers three most important players have played a grand total of 31 NBA games in the past 3yrs. They look really exciting and fun now that the tanking is over, but you don't go from tanking straight to winning the next season. They're in that in-between season this year where they have to learn how to play. They're still going to be a bad team with a losing record most likely. The Raps are at least a top 5 team in the conference.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/913063861082828801

Haahshsjdkiehdgsusudusbxhdjsjsnsbdhd

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Green gets some money and is a fa at age 29

Not bad for him

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Rick Pitinio, your Los Angeles Lakers head coach 2018-2019 season. Not a joke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh word?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rick posted:

Assuming my dad/stepmom didn't throw it out, he is the only sports autograph I have. We waited in line for like an hour in Montclair Plaza. It was actually the second time we showed up there for it too, the first time was All-Star weekend, but he got selected as an alternate and had to cancel.

I've gotten 3 balls autographed in person in my lifetime.

The first was Magic Johnson, when I literally sneaked into the VIP tent at a basketball camp he was hosting about ~15 years ago. (I have a picture of my goofy 15 year old self watching him sign it :))

The second was John Starks, at some radio station promotion he was at.

The third was Walt Clyde Frazier, when I was able to sneak down to the MSG scorers table at the end of a pre-season game.

Magic was super friendly and outgoing. I spoke to John Starks for about 10 minutes about growing up as a Knicks fan idolizing him, and how I wore #3 in every sport growing up, because of him. Clyde seemed really pissed off that I even asked him for an autograph, but he was literally at work, so I kind of understand.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

Nick seems like such a good guy, really sucks what happened with his son

Aw good

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I have a $100 bet with a friend on Minnesota: I have over 48.5 games, he has under

He thinks it's absolutely comical that Butler will change the team that much, I think that the other players will continue improving and the team wasn't actually as bad as their 31 wins, thoughts??

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

kingcobweb posted:

I have a $100 bet with a friend on Minnesota: I have over 48.5 games, he has under

He thinks it's absolutely comical that Butler will change the team that much, I think that the other players will continue improving and the team wasn't actually as bad as their 31 wins, thoughts??

I like your optimism a lot but I would be much more likely to agree with your "over" vote next year, I think they'll probably hover around 45 wins due to growing pains

I also feel the exact same way about the Celtics!

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 27, 2017

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ehhh I'm gonna disagree.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kingcobweb posted:

I'd take the under, there's a ton of new faces and teams with low roster continuity tend to under perform for a bit to start the season. I still think they make the playoffs though. 45 wins is probably about where I'd go.

e: drat, I didn't even see CBM's post. My man :respek:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

Ibaka has been turning it on in the playoffs though. I think it's hard to judge a guy who joins a team mid-season, but he played pretty OK for the Raptors in the first two rounds.

That's Ibaka's M.O. This thread annually goes haha Ibaka's what, 45 this year during the season. Then come the playoffs and it's :stonk: IBLOCKA

kingcobweb posted:

I think it's a good bet.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't trust Patterson because he never seems to shoot well when people are watching him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/913127400434733056

• Locked thread