Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Even ignoring detail for a second, just look at the difference in use of color. Even thumbnailed, K6BD pops right off the page, and communicates that it's showing you this vast, alien expanse. SFP dissolves into a sea of white with scribbles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Burkion posted:

Dude, that's not cool

That's like comparing a toddler trying to walk to an athlete in the middle of a sprint
it's like comparing an athlete who's spent years training for the pro leagues to an equally grown adult who spent the same time watching cartoons and eating Coco Puffs all day, then starting Twitter wars against airlines for fatshaming them when their rear end won't fit in a single seat

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm pretty sure the two comics have been running since around the same time, and both have pretty young artists. Their styles are obviously very different, but both have changed and matured technically.

Abaddon actively seeks out and obsessively absorbs critical feedback, is one major difference.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The use of colour in this page really is atrocious, yeah. It's a messy background but you could make it look really lurid and nightmarish with some stronger, starker contrasts.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually i'm the partially occluded sign that says WANKING OF YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kill Six Billion Clevins

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Kill Six Billion Clevins

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Reach Clevin Through Violence

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Piell posted:

Reach Clevin Through Violence

The C in CHIM is Clevin.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The real clevin was us all along.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You know, I was going to joke that this page was going to look good in the collected print edition, but it won't! It's going to look terrible! The colors have been discussed before, but the line work is loving sloppy. It's like the artist gave up halfway through drawing it.

But then, in the Dream Realm, reality is only that which is perceived! Is the Mind Fortress a city of infinite complexity or a featureless pile of garbage? Perhaps...it is both!

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
To be fair, the artist has been busy drawing sexy catgirl comics to raise money for hurricane relief.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I mean i might be wrong, but the symbolism of sexy cat girls might be less on the nose than "literal ivory tower in white city"

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
he's just the huffiest little dog and he's got a deep voice which just makes it funnier. all night long it's like

me: *moves half an inch*
v: hrumph.
me: *moves a full inch*
v: HRUMPH! *puff!*

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo wrong thread

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
hello, friends

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

the old ceremony posted:

poo poo wrong thread

Are you sure?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

the old ceremony posted:

he's just the huffiest little dog and he's got a deep voice which just makes it funnier. all night long it's like

I see you met Clevin.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Also, I feel like when you're drawing a character's mindscape, you're kind of obliged to really go heavy on the symbolism. I mean, obviously the tower is a focal point, which makes sense as Patrick looking out over everything, and I guess the other things that stand out to me are: stormy skies outside the city walls, the city is pristine and empty, and there's giant walls separating parts of the district. Which, I mean, those aren't bad elements, they're just not nearly strong enough for what you're trying to convey here.

I really want to make it clear that the artist is clearly a good person based on the side work they're doing for charity, and they apparently sound really overworked, but this page just feels like a creative failure; a lot of that probably comes from the writing side, though.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm going to throw out there, that I think the artist kind of has checked out on the project. With the focus on writing, and really, story going where she wasn't originally seeing it going, and it not being interesting to her, it would make sense. The drawing has dramatically changed since the start and that might be commitments and other things, but I think it might just be, that the writing has kind of just made her not give a poo poo.

This is my standing theory. I still am going to rag on her for either doing the least effective underhanded complaint or feeble excuse.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Axe-man posted:

I'm going to throw out there, that I think the artist kind of has checked out on the project. With the focus on writing, and really, story going where she wasn't originally seeing it going, and it not being interesting to her, it would make sense. The drawing has dramatically changed since the start and that might be commitments and other things, but I think it might just be, that the writing has kind of just made her not give a poo poo.

This is my standing theory. I still am going to rag on her for either doing the least effective underhanded complaint or feeble excuse.

I wouldn't be surprised—Ostertag has a proper job for Disney(?) and is publishing her own book with Scholastic soon, so I can imagine that continuing SFP is part obligation, part friendship with the writer more than something she's truly invested in. Even if she's still interested, the first two would obviously take precedent anyway.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Daphnaie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised—Ostertag has a proper job for Disney(?) and is publishing her own book with Scholastic

loving how?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nuebot posted:

loving how?

we're in an age of failing upwards

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I don't get how someone can go to a top-tier art school and not bother to learn basic perspective. And before someone tries to defend this page (lol) by saying she clearly knows how to do perspective but just chooses not to, this is a recurring problem with this comic - at no point does the artist bother with doing proper three-, two-, or even basic one-point perspective when making her backgrounds. How does that happen?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

the old ceremony posted:

I need pics and/or videos

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Axe-man posted:

let's get idonotlikepeas back in here to give multiple page-long screeds on how it's actually good

what does the artist's actual good work look like?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what does the artist's actual good work look like?

Clevin

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Description for her upcoming book:

quote:

In thirteen-year-old Aster's family, all the girls are raised to be witches, while boys grow up to be shapeshifters. Anyone who dares cross those lines is exiled. Unfortunately for Aster, he still hasn't shifted . . . and he's still fascinated by witchery, no matter how forbidden it might be.

When a mysterious danger threatens the other boys, Aster knows he can help -- as a witch. It will take the encouragement of a new friend, the non-magical and non-conforming Charlie, to convince Aster to try practicing his skills. And it will require even more courage to save his family . . . and be truly himself.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is queerbaiting a term yet

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wrist Watch posted:

Is queerbaiting a term yet

It ABSOLUTELY is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Description for her upcoming book:

As a trans woman can I make one request to all webcomic authors. If you wanna write a story about being queer or trans please just write that story. Please stop equating, however well meaning you are, who I am and how I struggle with literal monsters. Even if you're queer yourself just please stop. I'm looking at you Monsterkind. And Monster Pop! gently caress why are there so many of these and they're all the whitest most toothless stories.

Thanks.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
tbf its a book for kids

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The entire bee movie but its a metaphor for trans people

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

tbf its a book for kids

Kids can read books about actual people. It's in fact cooler and better than books about monsters that really muddle their own message and don't really say much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
More over

It could be a story about a kid that fights monsters like this, WHILE ALSO BEING TRANS OR WHATEVER

I'm not entirely sure what this is a metaphor FOR exactly. I thought it was just a 'he comes to terms with the fact that he's gay' metaphor but Zen does bring up an excellent point about it maybe being that he's trans.

It's

A very safe story to tell that may say nothing at all. Hopefully some one enjoys it or gets something from it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

More over

It could be a story about a kid that fights monsters like this, WHILE ALSO BEING TRANS OR WHATEVER

I also agree, Goodbye to Halos! is a good webcomic Burkion.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I don't know I learned that I liked to read and science as a young kid by learning about the monstrous troll that no one liked but read a lot then saved the town. If you read my 17 part fan fiction about that universe you will see-

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I also agree, Goodbye to Halos! is a good webcomic Burkion.

Okay look, it's mean to compare her artwork to Six Billion Demons

It's down right cruel to bring it up next to Goodbye To Halos

you want to talk about how lovely SFP's colors are compared to another comic, woof!

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Axe-man posted:

I had a quick scrawl through her website and... kinda? It does currently look less effort than the rest of her stuff, but this is definitely still the "style" she's settled on and all the art I saw there would fit right into the comic. I didn't like any of her illustrations and she mostly draws people, probably because Falstaff is right and her perspective skills are absolutely garbage. I'm not even an artist and I've cringed at the pretty terrible mistakes in the past few SFP pages alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah I do not dig the art style and heavy stylization and level that she has settled. As for her book the story seems like extremely queerbating or would it be queerplotive? I don't know but it is a bit simplified and lends the question: what happens when you don't like or do both? The situation seems like an odd setup.

• Locked thread